What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump Opponents - Would you rather have a Recession or Trump Re-election? (1 Viewer)

Trump Opponents - Would you rather have a Recession or Trump Re-election?

• For sure rather have a Recession than Trump Re-election

Votes: 83 46.6%
  • Probably rather have a Recession than Trump Re-election

Votes: 29 16.3%
  • On the fence

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • Probably not rather have a Recession than Trump Re-election

Votes: 17 9.6%
  • For sure not rather have a Recession than Trump Re-election

Votes: 41 23.0%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
First thing. Please don't vote unless you consider your self a Trump Opponent. Shouldn't be hard to find.

There was talk in this thread Bill Maher said he'd rather have a Recession than a Trump Re-election. There's dispute whether that's what he meant but that's not really the point. I'm more interested in what you guys think.

If you're a Trump Opponent, would you rather have a Recession than a Trump Re-election?

A recession is defined as two consecutive quarters of negative economic growth. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the recession bdecause of Trump actions or inactions or because of some other factor?

For me that would make a huge diffference

This is actually a hard question to answer from my perspective.  The policies he’s putting into place are going to lead to a recession. The only question is if it’s before or after the 2020 election. So to me this is either recession or both.  But if I could choose just one, it would probably depend on what we mean by recession.  ‘90s tech bubble burst? Maybe.  Great Depression? Rather he gets re-elected. 

No offense @Joe Bryant but it seems like a silly question unless not re-electing Trump is going to lead to a recession.  

Playing by the rules of the question I voted for recession because I think Trump is doing a lot of damage to this country and I fear that if we let him continue it's going to become irreversible.  A recession we will bounce back from.

No there is not or shouldn’t be, here’s what he actually said:

>>”either root for a recession or you lose your democracy.”<<

Please keep this in mind.
In the OP Joe said "Bill Maher said he'd rather have a Recession than a Trump Re-election" which is a lot different than 'either root for a recession or you lose your democracy'

This is actually a hard question to answer from my perspective.  The policies he’s putting into place are going to lead to a recession. The only question is if it’s before or after the 2020 election. So to me this is either recession or both.  But if I could choose just one, it would probably depend on what we mean by recession.  ‘90s tech bubble burst? Maybe.  Great Depression? Rather he gets re-elected. 
Understood. That's why these things get murky. But it's also the world we live in. As we saw with the Maher thing, nobody gets time to explain their position. It's just Recession or Re-election? Go!

In the OP Joe said "Bill Maher said he'd rather have a Recession than a Trump Re-election" which is a lot different than 'either root for a recession or you lose your democracy'
I said, 

There was talk in this thread Bill Maher said he'd rather have a Recession than a Trump Re-election. There's dispute whether that's what he meant but that's not really the point. I'm more interested in what you guys think.

I don't really care what Maher said. I'm more interested in you guys. 

The damage Trump and his administration have done, and are doing, far exceeds the damage done by a cyclical, semi predictable economic event. Not even close IMO. I would absolutely choose to rid this country of his scourge if it meant riding out a recession.

This chaos president only destroys. The sooner he is gone the better. 

Can I say I would like Trump gone and no recession? I don't think this is really an either or situation. 
Sure you can say that but that's not the point of this poll.

Would you like him gone enough that you'd rather have a recession than a Trump Re-election? That's the question. ;)  

But if I could choose just one, it would probably depend on what we mean by recession.  ‘90s tech bubble burst? Maybe.  Great Depression? Rather he gets re-elected.
Right. I voted "Probably" because, without the benefit of hindsight, it depends on how bad the recession would be. If we are allowed the benefit of hindsight, it also depends on how bad another term of Trump would be. We could get lucky -- as we generally have so far -- in escaping any really bad consequences (with some obvious exceptions, such as people who live in Puerto Rico, or some hopeful immigrants who've been separated from their families). Or we could get unlucky and start World War III and wipe out all life on earth. Knowing ahead of time where we'd land would make the question easy, but just going by expected value makes it much harder, and makes it depend on the size of the recession.

Yeesh. Let's not take recession lightly. A lot of lives and livelihoods at stake here (including my own, literally relaunching an entire career).

I only voted "probably don't want recession" because obviously there's a sliding scale of severity and other factors, and let's not overlook the potential tautology that Trump helps cause a (or accelerates/increases severity of) recession as a self fulfilling prophecy due to the policies he's already and will look to implement. 

Voted probably would rather he be elected if it meant no recession. Didn’t feel good about it. 

What success would make another 4 years of Trump acceptable?  Let's say Trump somehow leads to a peaceful Korean unification.  Is that enough?  Maybe some miracle happens and there is some kind huge breakthrough for peace in the Middle East?  Maybe millions of good paying jobs are created helping the working poor?  Is there any level of great things happening which would make Trump worth putting up with? 

What success would make another 4 years of Trump acceptable?  Let's say Trump somehow leads to a peaceful Korean unification.  Is that enough?  Maybe some miracle happens and there is some kind huge breakthrough for peace in the Middle East?  Maybe millions of good paying jobs are created helping the working poor?  Is there any level of great things happening which would make Trump worth putting up with? 
You could start a new topic and a poll.

I think the far left and far right are practically ready to go to WAR to stop the other side and each would certainly welcome a recession to stop the other.  Yes Joe yes if you are trying to find evidence of major fractures in our culture yes there is.

I think the far left and far right are practically ready to go to WAR to stop the other side and each would certainly welcome a recession to stop the other.  Yes Joe yes if you are trying to find evidence of major fractures in our culture yes there is.
Nobody is ready to “go to war”

Null vote, but I’d rather slam my hand in a car door than re-elect Trump. He’s a colossal embarrassment and terrible for our country.

While he may not have done anything worse than a recession yet.....do people feel good that he wouldn't if given a second term?  That would be the gamble.

The certainty of a recession could be a good trade off to what he COULD do in a second term with no need to consider re-election. 

So let's say we haven't collapsed into civil war by late 2020 and we get a recession shortly before the election.  I think you will find republicans trying to defend the recession by saying it is being caused by nations unwilling to let blue collar jobs return to the US.  Trump would outperform among union voters again.  If it looks like he will actually lose, he will say he is unwilling to accept the results of the election because its too important to fight for those jobs. He will implore his voters  to stand against the election results because all hope is lost if he is replaced.  You might get civil unrest as the democrat base and ex-democrat union workers revolt.  My reason for thinking this way is that he seemed ready to try this in 2016 had he lost.  He was setting up to not accept the election results back then.  So my guess is that is still on the table if he loses in 2020.  He will not accept the results.

Null vote, but I’d rather slam my hand in a car door than re-elect Trump. He’s a colossal embarrassment and terrible for our country.

But, that was t the question. :whistle:  

I'd gladly slam my hand in a car door if I knew that would prevent another Trump win. But that's me and my fingers, not my life's livelihood and that of tens or hundreds of millions.

Recessions are inevitable.  We are overdue for one.  Trump is not inevitable.  He is an embarrassment.  I'd take the inevitable any day of the week if it meant an end to this embarrassment. 
Right. Except Trump supporters don't believe a recession is inevitable and the stock market is going to skyrocket forever. That combined with a bunch of bad policies.... seems familiar. 

Trump might keep holding rallies after a 2020 loss. But the purpose of those rallies would be to organize a protest of the election results and spur a revolt.  Again, the reason I say that is because he keeps holding rallies even after he won.  I don't think he ever stops planning on holding rallies, win or lose.  Those aren't going to stop.  He has established this behavior and i think it is with purpose.

Trump might keep holding rallies after a 2020 loss. But the purpose of those rallies would be to organize a protest of the election results and spur a revolt.  Again, the reason I say that is because he keeps holding rallies even after he won.  I don't think he ever stops planning on holding rallies, win or lose.  Those aren't going to stop.  He has established this behavior and i think it is with purpose.
He will be 73 in 2020 and is morbidly obese. He isn't fit or sound enough to hold rallies for as long as you state.  

He will be 73 in 2020 and is morbidly obese. He isn't fit or sound enough to hold rallies for as long as you state.  
I give him until about 2022 and he's full blown Alzheimer's. He does nothing to exercise his brain and eats garbage. His brain is basically soup right now, I can only imagine what it will be like in a few years.

What will he have to gain at that point?

What will he have to gain at that point?

I can hear Trump already at a rally after losing the 2020 election:

"There is a crisis in this country.  Jobs have fled overseas, and the people who don't care just won the election.  They don't care about jobs, borders or your future.  We deal with these people every day in our lives.  They constantly tear this nation down on the internet, on TV, newspapers and film, and then claim they love this country.  This is a true crisis.  So what can we do?  Do we just accept defeat?  No.  We say no.  We will not accept the results of this election because these people will ruin this nation.  We can never again let the democrats run things.  That is why today I will begin a new campaign.  A will hold rallies across this nation to organize a protest of these results.  They will be yuge rallies, the best rallies. I will led us into the future. God bless America."

I can hear Trump already at a rally after losing the 2020 election:

"There is a crisis in this country.  Jobs have fled overseas, and the people who don't care just won the election.  They don't care about jobs, borders or your future.  We deal with these people every day in our lives.  They constantly tear this nation down on the internet, on TV, newspapers and film, and then claim they love this country.  This is a true crisis.  So what can we do?  Do we just accept defeat?  No.  We say no.  We will not accept the results of this election because these people will ruin this nation.  We can never again let the democrats run things.  That is why today I will begin a new campaign.  A will hold rallies across this nation to organize a protest of these results.  They will be yuge rallies, the best rallies. I will led us into the future. God bless America."
If he's not in jail, he's gonna get blown out IMO.

Right. Except Trump supporters don't believe a recession is inevitable and the stock market is going to skyrocket forever. That combined with a bunch of bad policies.... seems familiar. 
:lmao: Link to Trump supporters saying they believe the stock market is going to skyrocket forever?  Most realize these things are cyclical and a recession in the next three years would not be abnormal.  However, Trump's economic policies will most definitely not be the cause of the next recession.  He is helping the economy right now.

So Don is going to say the country is in deep doodoo right after he's spent four years as its president and people will say that's a good reason for contesting the election? Conservatives and liberals really do reason differently.

Users who are viewing this thread