What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump Opponents - Would you rather have a Recession or Trump Re-election? (2 Viewers)

Trump Opponents - Would you rather have a Recession or Trump Re-election?

• For sure rather have a Recession than Trump Re-election

Votes: 83 46.6%
  • Probably rather have a Recession than Trump Re-election

Votes: 29 16.3%
  • On the fence

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • Probably not rather have a Recession than Trump Re-election

Votes: 17 9.6%
  • For sure not rather have a Recession than Trump Re-election

Votes: 41 23.0%

• Total voters
:shrug:

Can someone unpack this alleged long term damage Trump is causing?   Things seem to be going sweet for me and the people I know.   
Massively increasing the deficit during "booming" economic times.

Creating a rift between the US and our traditional allies.

Lies and changes his mind so much that he's undermining the trust in the office.

Climate change denier.

Emboldening pro-lifers to the point where abortion is essentially becoming illegal in several states.

Eliminated many environmental protecting regulations.

Widening the gap between the rich and poor with the tax cut for the rich.

Turning toward old, polluting technology (like coal), and away from clean, high tech energy.

Should I go on?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lies and changes his mind so much that he's undermining the trust in the office.

Climate change denier.

Emboldening pro-lifers to the point where abortion is essentially becoming illegal in several states.

Turning toward old, polluting technology (like coal), and away from clean, high tech energy.

Should I go on?
Trade wars with China severely hurting farmers...

Massively increasing the deficit during "booming" economic times. Yet to be determined 

Creating a rift between the US and our traditional allies. Some of our traditional allies have taken advantage of what may no longer be as mutually beneficial relationship as it once was.  

Lies and changes his mind so much that he's undermining the trust in the office. This is an opinion held by many that already didn’t trust Trump  Many disagree  

Climate change denier. So are a lot of people   

Emboldening pro-lifers to the point where abortion is essentially becoming illegal in several states.  People should be more responsible, then we have no issue.  

Eliminated many environmental protecting regulations.  Part of leading is making tough trade offs  to bring back business this trade off is loosening onerous regulations.  Job market is red hot  

Widening the gap between the rich and poor with the tax cut for the rich.  This is a relative perception   What is poor?  The US has the richest “poor” in the world   Look at the poor in other parts of the world  No country has ever succeeded by pulling down the achievement class and redistributing to the Entitlement Class   

Turning toward old, polluting technology (like coal), and away from clean, high tech energy.  We can have both  Right now he is focused on reviving the fossil fuel industry and break our reliance on foreign oil   Eventually, he will expand energy in his next term    

Should I go on?
Seems subjective 

First thing. Please don't vote unless you consider your self a Trump Opponent. Shouldn't be hard to find.

There was talk in this thread Bill Maher said he'd rather have a Recession than a Trump Re-election. There's dispute whether that's what he meant but that's not really the point. I'm more interested in what you guys think.

If you're a Trump Opponent, would you rather have a Recession than a Trump Re-election?

A recession is defined as two consecutive quarters of negative economic growth. 
@Maurile Tremblay I’m basing my thoughts on this original post. It seems to me that @Joe Bryant‘s purpose here was basically to ask the question, “are you rooting for bad things to happen in order to see Trump lose the next election?” That’s what I believe he was getting at based on this post, but perhaps I am wrong about that? If so then I misunderstood. 

Climate change denier.

Should I go on?
Few thoughts.....It's not like the deficit rising is new under Trump.  And whats the downside?  We always hear about how bad the deficit is..Why is it bad?  

I know of no rifts with our allies..and if they do exist, they will go away.   

The faith in the office is not a long term thing....If one of the democratic hopefuls wins its all fixed right?

The cause and solution to climate change is still being debated

There are a whole lot of people who are anti-abortion.  I hate how liberals love to make it out like only a small % of people are anti abortion.  Wrong..  Deal with it.  You want pro choice? Find a way to elect people who support that vision.

Some, well more than some, would argue that many environmental regulations went too far, at the expense of business and jobs in this country. 

The tax cut helped me and I am not rich.  

Last one I can't argue with.  he is a fan of the coal industry.  

Few thoughts.....It's not like the deficit rising is new under Trump.  And whats the downside?  We always hear about how bad the deficit is..Why is it bad?  

I know of no rifts with our allies..and if they do exist, they will go away.   

The faith in the office is not a long term thing....If one of the democratic hopefuls wins its all fixed right?

The cause and solution to climate change is still being debated

There are a whole lot of people who are anti-abortion.  I hate how liberals love to make it out like only a small % of people are anti abortion.  Wrong..  Deal with it.  You want pro choice? Find a way to elect people who support that vision.

Some, well more than some, would argue that many environmental regulations went too far, at the expense of business and jobs in this country. 

The tax cut helped me and I am not rich.  

Last one I can't argue with.  he is a fan of the coal industry.  
Thanks for the thoughtful responses, but on the first I have to take issue.  Increasing the debt at the rate he is during "booming" times is completely irresponsible.  Every dollar we pay in debt service is a dollar we can't invest in this country.  Think of it like credit card interest in your own life, it can grow so large it takes on a life of its own and provides you no meaningful value, quite the opposite actually.  

Thanks for the thoughtful responses, but on the first I have to take issue.  Increasing the debt at the rate he is during "booming" times is completely irresponsible.  Every dollar we pay in debt service is a dollar we can't invest in this country.  Think of it like credit card interest in your own life, it can grow so large it takes on a life of its own and provides you no meaningful value, quite the opposite actually.  
But it's money being pumped into the world economy.  Without that borrowing, many banks and nations and individuals would see financial impacts.

The cause  and solution to climate change is still being debated
No. 
Well, the cause is being debated by politically and economically motivated partisans.

In scientific circles, the cause is not being debated. It is considered resolved. There is a strong scientific consensus that the dominant cause of observed warming is human-induced emission of greenhouse gases. No scientific body of national or international standing disputes that consensus.

@Maurile Tremblay I’m basing my thoughts on this original post. It seems to me that @Joe Bryant‘s purpose here was basically to ask the question, “are you rooting for bad things to happen in order to see Trump lose the next election?” That’s what I believe he was getting at based on this post, but perhaps I am wrong about that? If so then I misunderstood. 
Yes, I think you misunderstood. The question isn't "Do you want more bad stuff or less bad stuff?" The question is "Which option constitutes more bad stuff than the other?"

Nobody is rooting for more suffering. People are disagreeing about which option would likely result in more suffering.

Yes, you misunderstood. The question isn't "Do you want more bad stuff or less bad stuff?" The question is "Which option constitutes more bad stuff than the other?"

Nobody is rooting for more suffering. People are disagreeing about which option would result in more suffering.
Right and as Randall just pointed out, with Trump you get all the other bad stuff and probably a recession too.

Also, if a recession hits shouldn't the people who are impacted have planned better - I thought that's what the conservation model is - personally responsibility.  There's plenty of opportunities for those folks to get out there and earn more money if they didn't plan well for the recession.

:shrug:

Can someone unpack this alleged long term damage Trump is causing?   Things seem to be going sweet for me and the people I know.   
:goodposting:  The idea that people are suffering now with Trump as President is stupid.  However, they need to try and justify their partisan selfishness so claiming people are suffering now is their only way to justify saying a recession is better than Trump.

:goodposting:  The idea that people are suffering now with Trump as President is stupid.  However, they need to try and justify their partisan selfishness so claiming people are suffering now is their only way to justify saying a recession is better than Trump.
I pointed out multiple ways Trump is damaging the country.  You may choose to not agree, but non of them are emotional but reflect mine, and many others, opinions.  Saying he's damaged relationships with allies really can't be denied for example.  You can say they were taking advantage of us, or something to that extent, but the US is now more isolated than we have been in decades.  That's the truth.  If the US were to try to build a coalition to fight some agresion do you actually believe that we're in a good position to do so?  The other countries would probably laugh and say how much they'd charge us. 

I pointed out multiple ways Trump is damaging the country.  You may choose to not agree, but non of them are emotional but reflect mine, and many others, opinions.  Saying he's damaged relationships with allies really can't be denied for example.  You can say they were taking advantage of us, or something to that extent, but the US is now more isolated than we have been in decades.  That's the truth.  If the US were to try to build a coalition to fight some agresion do you actually believe that we're in a good position to do so?  The other countries would probably laugh and say how much they'd charge us. 
I don't believe the US is more isolated

Well that all depends on who is the aggressor and the aggressee(i think thats a word)....Not surprisingly, these countries that are now not our allies will sure be happy to see us when they need help from an aggressor.   So this is far too big of a blanket to lay down.  

Well, the cause is being debated by politically and economically motivated partisans.

In scientific circles, the cause is not being debated. It is considered resolved. There is a strong scientific consensus that the dominant cause of observed warming is human-induced emission of greenhouse gases. No scientific body of national or international standing disputes that consensus.
So my point was correct?  I'm not sure what you are saying.    The cause is still being debated.  Right?

There are MANY scientists who dispute that climate change is man made by the way.  I'm sure you know this. 

So as of now almost 50% of the people that voted would prefer a recession than Trump being re-elected. Wasn't Sho trying to make the argument yesterday this wasn't true?

Henry Ford said:
I believe that the difficulty in understanding here is that a number people believe people are currently suffering as a result of the Trump presidency as well.  So the question is which is preferable, not “do you endorse suffering.” 

Also, many believe that:

1. Recession is inevitable at some point so it is a zero sum preference; or

2. His policies will bring about a recession soon, so it is “recession with him” or “recession without him.”

I’m firmly in the recession camp as I believe we won’t know the extent of the damage Trump is causing for a long time. I’m heading to Atlantic City soon so I did a search and found this article. I don’t know much about the Guardian, but I suppose they lean heavily left. Nonetheless, the stark reality of Trump Taj Majal’s fate (I used to gamble there) is chilling and mostly insulated from how a media site leans. Out of business is out of business. Sure, one can explain it away with other causes but it’s yet another indicator that our dear leader is truly not a great businessman.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2019/apr/08/atlantic-city-trump-ghost-town-gambling-brian-rose-photographer

I’m firmly in the recession camp as I believe we won’t know the extent of the damage Trump is causing for a long time. I’m heading to Atlantic City soon so I did a search and found this article. I don’t know much about the Guardian, but I suppose they lean heavily left. Nonetheless, the stark reality of Trump Taj Majal’s fate (I used to gamble there) is chilling and mostly insulated from how a media site leans. Out of business is out of business. Sure, one can explain it away with other causes but it’s yet another indicator that our dear leader is truly not a great businessman.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2019/apr/08/atlantic-city-trump-ghost-town-gambling-brian-rose-photographer
He photographed a family of stray cats nesting in a spot where gamblers might once have collapsed in a drunken stupor. 
:lmao:

I vote for president to some degree on economic terms, but there's a lot more that goes into a vote for President for me.

The vast majority of things Trump is pretty terrible at, according to what I look for in any competent president.

If we had to endure a downgrade (but isn't that baked in already?) for economic prospects for a few quarters, to get an upgrade in all other areas and likely an economic turnaround, I'd gladly pull the vote lever for that.

America is about so much more than our stock market, and Trump seems to point primarily at that to show his value.  Main street has been hurting incredibly, while Wall Street has rebounded in ways unmoored from the underlying economic situation.  To me, this makes it a poor indicator of success as a president, at least stock market performance.

I don't believe Trump has it in him to turn this economic situation around either.  He's run up huge deficits, he's cut taxes, unemployment is at records not seen in many lifetimes...things are bad, and he isn't the person up for the job.  So while even in the best of times, i'd accept some downturn in economy to get a better president in, in these times I have no confidence that he nor his team have what it takes to fix what ails us as a country.

just curious if the 65% +/- that said Yes/probably are happy with this recession ?
Why would anyone be happy with a recession?

I'm not happy when I have to get a shot at the doctor, or have surgery to fix a problem.  Sometimes it takes a painful event to show folks the error of their ways, and sometimes you accept a short term pain for a long term benefit.  It doesn't mean you enjoy the pain, but again, in some cases short term pain is worth the cost.

But this recession is of Trump's own doing.  He's in charge, he was over the response, his government is putting out the guidance, and he owns the outcome.  The unemployment, the market plunges, the lack of economic growth...all under his watch, all due to a response based on those he has in power.

This wasn't a recession his opponents chose, this is one that results from his own leadership or lack thereof.  Barely anyone is happy about it.

I, for one, am not "happy" with this recession.  
And SC's post you're responding to is the very reason I didn't bite on this stinky bait poll. 

"See! I told you the LibTerds hate Trump so much they're hoping for a recession!1!!1!!"

And SC's post you're responding to is the very reason I didn't bite on this stinky bait poll. 

"See! I told you the LibTerds hate Trump so much they're hoping for a recession!1!!1!!"
"Would you rather die by being shot in the head or being buried alive?"

"Well, at least being shot would be quick, so I guess that."

"Wow, I can't believe you don't care about being shot!"

Also, this is a little like people who don't know who to cheer for when their fantasy QB is playing against their favorite team. Hint: It doesn't actually matter who you cheer for, because it's not going to have any impact on the outcome.

"Would you rather die by being shot in the head or being buried alive?"

"Well, at least being shot would be quick, so I guess that."

"Wow, I can't believe you don't care about being shot!"

Also, this is a little like people who don't know who to cheer for when their fantasy QB is playing against their favorite team. Hint: It doesn't actually matter who you cheer for, because it's not going to have any impact on the outcome.
Im sorry, you lost me at my cheering has no impact.

Also...you cheer for a high scoring game so the opposing QB scores a lot of points for you, but your favorite team still wins.

well to be fair GOP does try political games too .... but yes, look at this poll - a large % would rather a recession than Trump re-elected 

hurting American families through recession just for political reasons

that was the question - and now we have a recession that was created by DNC and GOP both .... which will weaken Trump's chances of re-election and yes, Democrats will keep this going if they can to keep Trump's possibility of using "booming economy" against them in Nov

because it weakens Trump's chances of re-election
I think they can be happy that Trump's chance of re-election are lower currently, but happy about the recession itself?  Nah.  That's being happy about a potential byproduct of the recession, imo.

just curious if the 65% +/- that said Yes/probably are happy with this recession ?
This is exactly why I said I'd rather have the recession than Trump.  I'd take the "either/or" over "both" (and that was almost a guarantee when I answered this poll originally) any day of the week .  I didn't realize we were in a recession though....feels more like a coma than anything.  

64% wanting Trump gone and the country suffering got their wish
Not making the assumption things would have been much different under Trump and I have suffered less realizing that 6-7 million more Americans didn't want Trump for President.

-Covid appears to under control better than Trump

-We once again have good relationships with our allies and President doesn’t have any cozy relationships with thugs.

- massive infrastructure bill accomplished

- no attacks on the media or administration officials fighting and leaving current administration

-unemployment down to 3.8%

-wages higher

-farm economy booming( not that Biden had much of anything to do with it)

Users who are viewing this thread