What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump Opponents - Would you rather have a Recession or Trump Re-election? (1 Viewer)

Trump Opponents - Would you rather have a Recession or Trump Re-election?

• For sure rather have a Recession than Trump Re-election

Votes: 83 46.6%
  • Probably rather have a Recession than Trump Re-election

Votes: 29 16.3%
  • On the fence

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • Probably not rather have a Recession than Trump Re-election

Votes: 17 9.6%
  • For sure not rather have a Recession than Trump Re-election

Votes: 41 23.0%

• Total voters
Economy is cyclical but that doesn't mean that economic policy cannot help extend an expansion further than it would have otherwise.   
It also means policy could reduce expansion further than it would otherwise. Which renders your initial point useless. Stop digging

Seriously, with all the lemmings that post here you didn't expect this?  Thankfully, the country is smarter than that.
Why do this? You had two different posters actually fish links off the www to help you make your point, which you immediately dropped. It's like facts got introduced and the discussion was over. Again see 'the how in the hell do we escape this' thread as a sort of FAQ for further information. 

Thank you, Obama's best year was in 2015 at 2.6%

Going by quarters, growth within a year was higher than 3 percent during two periods during Obama’s presidency, Blinder said. Between the third quarters of 2009 and 2010, GDP growth was 3.4 percent. From the first quarters of 2014 and of 2015, it was 3.3 percent.
Without complete data for 2016, the average growth rate during Obama’s two terms was 2 percent, Weller said. That was on par with George H.W. Bush’s term and faster than George W. Bush’s average.
Vs.

Typically, economic growth in the first quarter of a new presidency is attributed to the previous administration, meaning former President George W. Bush gets credit for the 5.4 percent contraction in the economy during the first three months of 2009.
- This last point is the thing. That is what people want to avoid. That's why doing things like: massive deficits, screwing with the income imbalance, and especially starting trade wars are so jarring. However people quibbled and even shouted about the bank bailouts (Bush's & Obama's), auto takeover and whatever else in general we have had a slow steady climb. Radical economic policies in good times risk that.

Meet the guys who tape Trump's papers back together

The president's unofficial 'filing system' involves tearing up documents into pieces, even when they're supposed to be preserved.

...Armed with rolls of clear Scotch tape, Lartey and his colleagues would sift through large piles of shredded paper and put them back together, he said, “like a jigsaw puzzle.” Sometimes the papers would just be split down the middle, but other times they would be torn into pieces so small they looked like confetti. ...

...But White House aides realized early on that they were unable to stop Trump from ripping up paper after he was done with it and throwing it in the trash or on the floor, according to people familiar with the practice. Instead, they chose to clean it up for him, in order to make sure that the president wasn’t violating the law...
- Monty Hall might put it this way: You can have a recession within 2 years, or you can take what this guy brings in 6?

Last edited by a moderator:
47% would definitely take the recession and one nudnik would prefer a pandemic to four more years of President Trump.  
57% for sure and another 20% probably would rather have a recession than see Trump re-elected. Disturbing, yet not surprising, sadly.

The beauty of their hate is that it is pushing normal, non conspiracy Americans further away from the Democratic party and towards supporting Donald J Trump.

I want to thank Joe for posting these types of surveys. They provide a clear picture of the type of person who frequents the political forum.

It would be interesting to see what the results would be if he posted the same survey in the shark pool and the FFA.

That would probably be a good eye opener for this crowd, they honestly have no idea how far towards the fringe they have gone.

57% for sure and another 20% probably would rather have a recession than see Trump re-elected. Disturbing, yet not surprising, sadly.

The beauty of their hate is that it is pushing normal, non conspiracy Americans further away from the Democratic party and towards supporting Donald J Trump.

I want to thank Joe for posting these types of surveys. They provide a clear picture of the type of person who frequents the political forum.

It would be interesting to see what the results would be if he posted the same survey in the shark pool and the FFA.

That would probably be a good eye opener for this crowd, they honestly have no idea how far towards the fringe they have gone.
At least they are now exposed. It just makes a pro-America/Pro-Trump person like myself disgusted.  

At least they are now exposed. It just makes a pro-America/Pro-Trump person like myself disgusted.  
I feel like looking at the context they provided is important. Many seemed to say a recession is inevitable. SInce we have had 47 recessions in our history as a country, they are probably right. So in that way, there is no real choice. One thing is inevitable and another is not. They are also unrelated. If the question was "would you rather have a key member of your fantasy team suffer a season ending injury or Trump re-election?" I think most would vote for the injury. It's not because they hate football players, have no regard for the health of others or aren't invested in the success of their team. It's just that a fantasy player suffering a season ending injury is inevitable. It happens every year. Really the entire question posed is ridiculous because they have nothing to do with each other at all. Also you are ignoring the idea that Trump's economic policies may do more longterm damage than a recession could. There is belief that Smoot Hawley tariffs exacerbated the Great Depression. Something like that could be the difference between a recession and a depression. I am not predicting those things, but if that is the rationale behind someone's vote than it actually isn't a vote against America IMO.

lol.  No one is pushed toward Trump.  Either you're pulled toward him due to liking his base "policies", repelled by him, or indifferent to politics in general.  There's very little in between.  And if you think anyone who's indifferent is suddenly like "damn, the fake media is being so mean to DJT that I'm not going to throw my support behind him" well, I've got a bridge to sell you my friends.  Trump won soley because dems didn't turn out and his base is rabid and mindless in their support.  Not because of some sweeping change overcoming the country.  Trump will win again if dems don't show up.  The majority of the country is embarrassed by him. 

I feel like looking at the context they provided is important. Many seemed to say a recession is inevitable. SInce we have had 47 recessions in our history as a country, they are probably right. So in that way, there is no real choice. One thing is inevitable and another is not. They are also unrelated. If the question was "would you rather have a key member of your fantasy team suffer a season ending injury or Trump re-election?" I think most would vote for the injury. It's not because they hate football players, have no regard for the health of others or aren't invested in the success of their team. It's just that a fantasy player suffering a season ending injury is inevitable. It happens every year. Really the entire question posed is ridiculous because they have nothing to do with each other at all. Also you are ignoring the idea that Trump's economic policies may do more longterm damage than a recession could. There is belief that Smoot Hawley tariffs exacerbated the Great Depression. Something like that could be the difference between a recession and a depression. I am not predicting those things, but if that is the rationale behind someone's vote than it actually isn't a vote against America IMO.
And is a pandemic inevitable?  You have nutjobs that would rather have that over Trump.  Many on the left have become much worse than what they claimed people were on right towards Obama.  The sad fact that social media now allows psychos on both sides to have a voice is one of the reasons we are so divided.  15 years ago they just yelled at clouds.  

And is a pandemic inevitable?  You have nutjobs that would rather have that over Trump.  Many on the left have become much worse than what they claimed people were on right towards Obama.  The sad fact that social media now allows psychos on both sides to have a voice is one of the reasons we are so divided.  15 years ago they just yelled at clouds.  
No ofcourse not and I would like to think that kind of thing is the outlier among any group left or right. I do agree that it becomes a lot easier for crazy people or people who will say crazy things for fun or money to gather a large audience. It is also easier for people to find information about the world. People need to be more responsible for the information they take in. We aren't doing a great job at it. I agree the left is treating Trump worse than the right did Obama. However, I think there are a lot of reasons for that. If Rubio or Kasich or Cruz were elected, we would not see this same level of vitriol. Trump is acting in a way no past President ever has, he is treating our allies in a way no President in living memory has and he is upsetting much of the established order. That is going to bring with it a lot of criticism. It may be a reason Trump supporters like him, but it's also guaranteed to stir up a lot of negativity. 

It depends on how bad a recession we're talking about.  If it's a historically normal or mild recession, then I would definitely prefer that to Trump being reelected.  If it's something like the 2008 financial crisis, then I'll stick with Trump.  
Give him a bit more time and you can have both.  

It depends on how bad a recession we're talking about.  If it's a historically normal or mild recession, then I would definitely prefer that to Trump being reelected.  If it's something like the 2008 financial crisis, then I'll stick with Trump.  
Sure. But that's why I intentionally was vague. That was the buzz over Maher and that's how communication works these days. Nobody gets to explain. 

Why do this? You had two different posters actually fish links off the www to help you make your point, which you immediately dropped. It's like facts got introduced and the discussion was over. Again see 'the how in the hell do we escape this' thread as a sort of FAQ for further information. 
It's common place to attack the messenger once the policy discussion breaks down.  That's the way it's always been.  What's different today is that even those with a cursory understanding of policy know there is nothing really to discuss/defend so they just jump directly to phase 2 of attacking the messenger.  Anything to avoid the self reflection that would lead one to a "opps, my bad" moment.

Sure. But that's why I intentionally was vague. That was the buzz over Maher and that's how communication works these days. Nobody gets to explain. 
Well then, you can imagine a minor recession and a Trump who supports ACA, defends traditional American values, stops lying, respects free speech, abides by trade commitments, respects our own international order, stops locking up immigrant children as a disincentive to immigration, who suddenly starts following the law, who cooperates with the multiple investigations swirling around him, who starts speaking in full sentences and stops throwing hand grenades on Twitter, etc.? Sure give me this imaginary Trump over recession.

The former contributor to this forum named BGP supported Barack Obama in the 2008 election with the confident hope that he would be so terrible for the US economy that it would destroy liberalism. 

Whether this was shtick or not (and he seemed genuine IMO) I always thought it was awful. Rooting for bad things to happen, for people to suffer, is awful. 

The former contributor to this forum named BGP supported Barack Obama in the 2008 election with the confident hope that he would be so terrible for the US economy that it would destroy liberalism. 

Whether this was shtick or not (and he seemed genuine IMO) I always thought it was awful. Rooting for bad things to happen, for people to suffer, is awful. 
Awful things are happening now.  

It’s a terrible attitude.  He probably got banned.  Sadly, that attitude is condoned and practically celebrated towards President Trump in the new Political Forum.  

It’s a terrible attitude.  He probably got banned.  Sadly, that attitude is condoned and practically celebrated towards President Trump in the new Political Forum.  
He didn’t get banned. And I don’t see anybody celebrating now. Which is why, IMO, this poll is so silly. No offense to Joe but it’s a lousy question. 

I don't think I have seen that attitude from anyone. I thought most people here staunchly against Trump winning. Maybe I am forgetting someone though. Also BGP was an outlier and not worth discussing.

How can you not?

It is an America first agenda.  Jobs, trade, immigration, etc.  
How can I not what?

I hear the words coming out of his mouth.  The problem is, I also see the impacts on people and they aren't matching up.  What I don't understand is why one would ignore the impacts in favor of the words when the words aren't rooted in reality.

There's been something that's weird in this dynamic, and I don't know if I have it flushed out yet, but here goes.

Why are "Trump Opponents" being put in a position where they need to defend a nonsensical hypothetical where the outcome of which is going to serve to paint "the left" as anti-patriotic?

The Bee vs. Barr thing was similar. Barr tweets a bunch of racism, and then we immediately get "what about Bee, lefites?".

NFL makes a policy about kneeling. "What say ye now, liberals?".

This one. "Hey Trump opponents. You either get Trump or a recession. Go."

Why do I have to defend all these false choices or ridiculous analogies constantly? Everyone so bent up on "winning"? What's up?

I don't root for it.  I've said several times that I hope Mueller turns in a clean report and that Trump didn't collude with Russia.  
Whether or not Trump is indebted to Russia he continues to act in their best interests over ours. At the G7 conference this weekend Trump was indistinguishable from an employee of the Putin regime. 

There's been something that's weird in this dynamic, and I don't know if I have it flushed out yet, but here goes.

Why are "Trump Opponents" being put in a position where they need to defend a nonsensical hypothetical where the outcome of which is going to serve to paint "the left" as anti-patriotic?

The Bee vs. Barr thing was similar. Barr tweets a bunch of racism, and then we immediately get "what about Bee, lefites?".

NFL makes a policy about kneeling. "What say ye now, liberals?".

This one. "Hey Trump opponents. You either get Trump or a recession. Go."

Why do I have to defend all these false choices or ridiculous analogies constantly? Everyone so bent up on "winning"? What's up?
Exactly. This is what I felt but didn’t have the words to state, from the moment I saw this poll. Thank you. 

Whether or not Trump is indebted to Russia he continues to act in their best interests over ours. At the G7 conference this weekend Trump was indistinguishable from an employee of the Putin regime. 
I agree.  But I still hope Mueller's report is allowed to finish and shows our Democracy isn't a sham.   Trump won't last forever.  And while I think he's absolutely terrible in both character and skill, this too shall pass.  

Exactly. This is what I felt but didn’t have the words to state, from the moment I saw this poll. Thank you. 
Interesting. You were the reason I created this poll. You said in the Maher thread about people preferring a recession over a Trump re-election:

Yeah I hate this kind of thinking. I don’t believe most Trump opponents feel this way. I hope not. 

I thought you were wrong and believed most Trump opponents would prefer a recession. So I asked here. 

Interesting. You were the reason I created this poll. You said in the Maher thread about people preferring a recession over a Trump re-election:

I thought you were wrong and believed most Trump opponents would prefer a recession. So I asked here. 
I despised what Maher said. I’m sorry my comments caused you to ask this question. I regard it as a silly hypothetical, and meaningless. 

Hoping America fails because your team lost is not a terrible attitude?  Wow.  
It’s been explained to you multiple times, yet you still continue to misstate what people have said.

People who voted recession did so to keep America from failing...because they believe while we recover from recession, Trump is worse in what he is doing and things that are harder to recover from.

Again...quite literally choosing country over Trump.

In addition...choosing recession over Trump does not equal dem President...so they aren’t choosing party anyway.

I find your posts to be intellectually dishonest at best.

Users who are viewing this thread