What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Biggest Position Battles This Offseason? (1 Viewer)

the lone star

Footballguy
What are the Biggest Position Battles This Offseason? 

Obviously the TE situation in Dallas is one of them, but what are some others you will be keeping your eye on?

GB RB may be the #1 to watch

Browns RB split %

Colts #2 WR

Dallas TE
Pretty much agree.

I believe the "Big-3" (as of now) are the Packers' RB, Browns' RB, & Cowboys' TE (in case it's Rico, who has the potential to be a top FF TE).

Last edited by a moderator:
Jacksonville WR is one.  A lot of interchangable prospects and some open targets.  If someone takes a big step, we could have a breakout star.

Eagles’ backfield may well stay a large committee, but I will be interested to see if Ajayi can grab the lion’s share or not.

And of course the rookie QB battles, espcially in Cleveland and Arizona.

GB rb. buy Jones while you can. GB doesnt do a full blown rbbc
Yeah, I like Jones' athleticism and SPARQ attributes. Williams has good size, hands, etc., but I think Jones is the better player. Just that Williams is built more like a true 3 down back than the others on the team. Wider hips, stronger frame, tallest one, etc..

Not sure a shorter less talented rookie version of Fitz would be the guy they choose to keep defenses honest this year but...okay.
Being a deep threat (to keep defenses honest) and being a team's #2 WR are two different things. with Fitz in the slot both Kirk and Nelson can line up outside. Many times the deep threat guy sees far less targets and is just out there to stretch the field.

I actually like Brice Butler there over Nelson. He always looked good when he got time in Dallas - but the staff kept trotting the mediocre Williams out there over him. He has size and speed and I've always liked what I saw dating back to when he was buried in Oakland. Nelson being an incumbent wont mean much since its a new staff and Butler was one of the first guys they signed in FA.

Cowboys WRs battles will be interesting. No clear-cut #1 WR. A lot of people are picking Gallup, but I'll go with Hurns.
Yep, and I agree, Hurns will get the most targets. 

Redskins, Lions and eagles RB breakdown could be interesting. We think we know the primary carrier but those could be a mess of rbbc. If one guy gets the bulk of the carries, he could have a very nice season.

Henry vs Dion should be interesting as will watching to see if Taylor and Davis can approach their potential. 

I think the Denver RB situation is one that not too many are talking about. Could be a lot of value there and I think Freeman runs away with that job.

Not the "biggest" but worth watching...

Pats RB usage

Colts starting RB

Bills QB

Lions RB

Chargers #2 WR

Yeah, I like Jones' athleticism and SPARQ attributes. Williams has good size, hands, etc., but I think Jones is the better player. Just that Williams is built more like a true 3 down back than the others on the team. Wider hips, stronger frame, tallest one, etc..
Montgomery is the best pass catcher, Jones is the best runner. Williams is the most complete. 

I've been a long supporter of Jones, but he's put on some weight and been working on pass protection. I think when it comes down to it, Jones can score from anywhere on the field, and that's the kind of talent that gets the 1-2 down work. If the team wants to grind out 3.6 yard per carry I guess then Williams it is. I just don't see it happening tbh 

SPARQ is a crutch people hold on to to justify bad decisions.
Yes. I use SPARQ as a piece of the puzzle to make my decisions. Good or bad. The size of the piece it holds is not as big as others, but also not as small
However, I think someone who drafts on SPARQ will have as many hits/misses as someone who drafts based on 40 yard time, Wonderlic, or any other test; there are hits/misses no matter how you slice it and no 1 correct way. 

Not sure the guy who played 16 games last year and caught 29 balls is the one who is going to step into the number two role this year but...okay.
Well I think we should probably define what we mean by #2 WR. I am speaking from a fantasy perspective. And I am also speaking about redraft.

There are couple reasons I like JJ: 1) I think he will do more with his opportunities (higher YPC primarily but also some big TDs) 2) I think he offers unique skills in the offense so will have less competition for his touches. Maybe Butler will siphon some touches but I think he will siphon them equally from Kirk if not moreso 3) I think Kirk's opportunities will be limited by inexperience and greater competition. Not only from Butler or maybe Chad Williams but also from Jermaine Gresham. We are all conditioned to expect nothing from TEs in Arizona,and and I don't expect a ton this year either, but this isn't Arians offense anymore and I expect the TE to be more involved.

The biggest knock on Nelson, and it's a big one, is IMO Bradford just isn't a deep ball QB and he never has been. That will favor the other targets over JJ...as long as Bradford is under center.

Honestly the more I look at this offense the less I am interested in whoever the #2 WR turns out to be.

Still, if I'm drafting today I'll still put my $$$ on the James Jett clone and hope for a 1997 or 1998 type season.

For me Seahawk RB...I know Penny was 1st rd..but Carson  looked good last year and is in better shape this year .

Also..Denver RB 's......

Green Bay RB's

And......A.Luck vs. His shoulder ...I hope this guy gets back on the field.

Not the biggest but a murky one - who will emerge as Tom Brady’s “go-to” WR while Edelman is out. (Not Gronkowski or an RB; I am talking about WR.)

For me, it's a bunch of RB situations.....

1)  how the TEN backfield plays out.  What % of carries does Lewis get? 

2) how the BAL backfield plays out.  Is Collins the clear #1? (he should be).    Does Dixon eat into Collins carries or does Dixon phase out Buck Allen, or Dixon is not a factor?

3) will the RB split in ATL stay the same as last year?

4) how the CLE backfield plays out.  Hyde is decent, but they drafted Chubb high.  And Duke is still around.

5) how the CAR backfield plays out.  Does CJ Anderson just get slot into Stewart's old role, or will McCaffrey's carries increase?

Unfortunately the winner of a lot of these "battles" will not be obvious until the season actually starts (i.e. Cowboys top WR, Pats top WR with Edelman out, backfield splits at RB...). Preseason football will not tell us much.

Well I think we should probably define what we mean by #2 WR. I am speaking from a fantasy perspective. And I am also speaking about redraft.

There are couple reasons I like JJ: 1) I think he will do more with his opportunities (higher YPC primarily but also some big TDs) 2) I think he offers unique skills in the offense so will have less competition for his touches. Maybe Butler will siphon some touches but I think he will siphon them equally from Kirk if not moreso 3) I think Kirk's opportunities will be limited by inexperience and greater competition. Not only from Butler or maybe Chad Williams but also from Jermaine Gresham. We are all conditioned to expect nothing from TEs in Arizona,and and I don't expect a ton this year either, but this isn't Arians offense anymore and I expect the TE to be more involved.

The biggest knock on Nelson, and it's a big one, is IMO Bradford just isn't a deep ball QB and he never has been. That will favor the other targets over JJ...as long as Bradford is under center.

Honestly the more I look at this offense the less I am interested in whoever the #2 WR turns out to be.

Still, if I'm drafting today I'll still put my $$$ on the James Jett clone and hope for a 1997 or 1998 type season.
I guess I just don't think JJ is very good. I agree with what you say about the #2 guy not being super relevant, but I really feel like Kirk is going to be the guy to take over the #2 role.

We'll see how it plays out, but my expectations are also pretty low for that spot.

I guess I just don't think JJ is very good. I agree with what you say about the #2 guy not being super relevant, but I really feel like Kirk is going to be the guy to take over the #2 role.

We'll see how it plays out, but my expectations are also pretty low for that spot.
From what I've read, Kirk is best suited for Fitzerald's role. I'm not sure how much sense it makes to have your highly touted rookie learn a completely different position than what he will play in years to come. There is a greater chance that his inexperience lands him behind Fitzgerald learning what he can, working in 3-4 WR sets and getting game experience there. I honestly think it's reasonable to say that Kirk could have the 29 balls caught that was scoffed at in a post above. 

From what I've read, Kirk is best suited for Fitzerald's role. I'm not sure how much sense it makes to have your highly touted rookie learn a completely different position than what he will play in years to come. There is a greater chance that his inexperience lands him behind Fitzgerald learning what he can, working in 3-4 WR sets and getting game experience there. I honestly think it's reasonable to say that Kirk could have the 29 balls caught that was scoffed at in a post above. 
I'm not sure where you're hearing this, but everything I've heard has said they are going to play Kirk outside. I've heard it talked about on local radio, and seen many articles about it. Here's one:

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Article/Kirk-was-a-slot-receiver-for-the-Aggies-but-hell-moving-outside-in-the-NFL-117782530

"Kirk said during his brief draft call his offensive role didn’t come up, but he said in a pre-draft meeting the Cardinals noted that Fitzgerald plays the slot so Kirk would most likely play outside – although he is ready to do both."

Just because he played a lot of slot in college doesn't mean that's all he's going to do in the NFL.

Again, as Chaka said, I'm not a huge fan of the Cards' WR 2 for this year, but I'll take the over on 29 catches for Kirk pretty darn easily.

I'm not sure where you're hearing this, but everything I've heard has said they are going to play Kirk outside. I've heard it talked about on local radio, and seen may articles about it. Here's one:

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Article/Kirk-was-a-slot-receiver-for-the-Aggies-but-hell-moving-outside-in-the-NFL-117782530

"Kirk said during his brief draft call his offensive role didn’t come up, but he said in a pre-draft meeting the Cardinals noted that Fitzgerald plays the slot so Kirk would most likely play outside – although he is ready to do both."

Just because he played a lot of slot in college doesn't mean that's all he's going to do in the NFL.

Again, as Chaka said, I'm not a huge fan of the Cards' WR 2 for this year, but I'll take the over on 29 catches for Kirk pretty darn easily.
Interesting. Not exactly what I had read but I will take your word for it being a local. Very interesting!

GB rb. buy Jones while you can. GB doesnt do a full blown rbbc
I've been a Jones backer since I saw him single-handedly destroy the above-average Texas Longhorn run D while at UTEP.  Granted Will Hernandez ended up being a stud OL, but everyone else around Jones was garbage.  

I can see him being the Packer #1 guy.

I've been a Jones backer since I saw him single-handedly destroy the above-average Texas Longhorn run D while at UTEP.  Granted Will Hernandez ended up being a stud OL, but everyone else around Jones was garbage.  

I can see him being the Packer #1 guy.
It will be a jumbled mess to start the season, like it was last year. Honestly, I think Ty Montgomery is the guy to own weeks 1-4 and then after that I think Jones will emerge. GB has never gone to a RBBC in spite of what people seem to think. FBG really likes Williams, and it shows in their daily e-mails and so forth. He's the most complete but not the best running back. In the end, I think you can only hold back talent so long; what Jones has and Williams/Montgomery lack can't be taught. 

It will be a jumbled mess to start the season, like it was last year. Honestly, I think Ty Montgomery is the guy to own weeks 1-4 and then after that I think Jones will emerge. GB has never gone to a RBBC in spite of what people seem to think. FBG really likes Williams, and it shows in their daily e-mails and so forth. He's the most complete but not the best running back. In the end, I think you can only hold back talent so long; what Jones has and Williams/Montgomery lack can't be taught. 
Is this because of scheme though or because they never had more than one RB worth anything?

Users who are viewing this thread