What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thrillist's Best Beer Bars In US - What's Yours? (1 Viewer)

Monks in Philly is one of the best I’ve been to. 

Its probably too much of a dive to be included on this kind of list but Sergio’s World of Beer in Louisville has the most impressive selection in terms of quality and rarity that I’ve ever stumbled across. 

I can't believe I was beaten to Monk's in a thread with 3 replies.  They get my vote too.  

ETA: Monk's in Philadelphia... I voted before reading the list and seeing 17 other Monks variations on there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have one in my town since it's so small but a few weeks ago I was in La Crosse, WI and stopped by the Bodega Brew Pub.  It was pretty awesome.  I believe they had a selection of 400 beers.

I know this is honda but Thrillist with their list of best Beer Bars in America caught my eye.

Have you been to any of these? Your thoughts?

What's your favorite Beer Bar? And why?
Yes. Actually my go-to is no. 2 on that list.

Compared to the others on that list it has zero decor, but the selection is fantastic, always changing, the staff makes regular trips to Europe for new insights and collaborations, it’s an incredible startup by a woman, and the balcony overlooking the avenue is fantastic for hanging out.

Compared to the others on that list it has zero decor, but the selection is fantastic, always changing, the staff makes regular trips to Europe for new insights and collaborations, it’s an incredible startup by a woman, and the balcony overlooking the avenue is fantastic for hanging out.
:goodposting:

Been to churchkey, monks philly, Max’s taphouse.  Surprised no ginger man.

maxs is probably the coolest overall vibe of the three that I’ve been to and would h leave the least pretension for those concerned about such things.

Thanks @SaintsInDome2006

That brings up another angle. What factors go into what makes a place great. In this case, decor is not important. Sounds like here it's all about the product and knowledgeable staff. 

in other words, FOR ME, I'd rather go to a place that feels cool and comfortable with 15 taps and some bottles than I would a place that didn't feel good with 200 taps.

I wonder how others feel.

I think for me, I'd put ambiance way higher. Maybe even giving an equal weight to Ambiance, Selection and Staff. 

Others?

Thanks @SaintsInDome2006

That brings up another angle. What factors go into what makes a place great. In this case, decor is not important. Sounds like here it's all about the product and knowledgeable staff. 

in other words, FOR ME, I'd rather go to a place that feels cool and comfortable with 15 taps and some bottles than I would a place that didn't feel good with 200 taps.

I think for me, I'd put ambiance way higher. Maybe even giving an equal weight to Ambiance, Selection and Staff. 

Others?
As a beer :nerd:  myself, I like the staff to be knowledgeable enough not to be spouting blatantly wrong information, but they don't need to know the brewmaster's kids' birthdays or anything.  

One key for me is that they need to be moving enough product to match the selection; 100 taps isn't good if 50 of them are pouring stale beer because they aren't selling it fast enough. Ambiance isn't a huge deal for me, as long as it's not actively annoying or so loud you can't talk to someone right next to you.

The only one that I've been to ChurchKey.  I like the selection, but it's missing the historic, worn-in vibe that I like.  The favorite pubs that I've ever been to are some of the centuries-old ones that I've been to in Ireland.  Not really much to compare that to in the US.

I'm heading upstate NH in a few weeks; just across the border from the Ebenezer's Pub in Lovell, ME.  I may have to add that one to the itinerary.

Thanks @SaintsInDome2006

Others?

As a beer :nerd:  myself, I like the staff to be knowledgeable enough not to be spouting blatantly wrong information, but they don't need to know the brewmaster's kids' birthdays or anything.  

One key for me is that they need to be moving enough product to match the selection; 100 taps isn't good if 50 of them are pouring stale beer because they aren't selling it fast enough. Ambiance isn't a huge deal for me, as long as it's not actively annoying or so loud you can't talk to someone right next to you.

Agree.  Also, need to have staples, but also a handful of revolving kegs that signfies that the owners/managers are on top of their game

I was sorta hoping to see Cooter Brown's, though my memories of that place are almost 20 years old now. Maybe if this list was made in the mid-1990s.

The appeal of the Beer Bar was a bigger deal 10 to 15 years ago when most bars had 5 to 10 taps consisting of national brands and the local liquor store had a limited number of craft beers.  Nowadays, we're in the craft beer salad days and it's much, much easier to access good beer at most restaurants and certainly at the liquor store (at least in the Midwest it is).  A good beer bar may have some rarer selections, but I'm less likely to be wow'd nowadays. 

As far as the list, I've been to 7 Monks in Traverse City and did enjoy the vibe there for sure.  

I don't have one in my town since it's so small but a few weeks ago I was in La Crosse, WI and stopped by the Bodega Brew Pub.  It was pretty awesome.  I believe they had a selection of 400 beers.
Bodega is awesome. Too bad my in laws will only drink Kul Light and La Crosse Lager so I don't get there too often when I visit them.

Burnharts (on the OP list) is ok. It's very tiny and hipstery to the point where if you don't have a beard, horn rimmed glasses, a unicycle, and a Golden Girls tattoo you feel a bit out of place. But there's at least 2 places I'd go before that for craft beer in Milwaukee. Roman's Pub is probably the best. Mike takes his beer seriously and has a hookup with various distributors to get some really hard to find barrels. I think there's about 2 dozen beers on tap and another handful in bottles but it isn't about quantity for him. He is a bit ornery and will kick you out if you order a Miller Lite or a Spotted Cow. Another in the area is Sugar Maple. I believe they have 60 on tap and plenty more in bottles. I lived 2 blocks from there and found a number of beers I normally wouldn't have the chance to try.

Has anyone been to Falling Rock Tap House? 
Lots and Lots and Lots and Lots and probably too many Lots of times - before Rockies games after Rockies Games, hell even during Rockies games - when the Rockies are out of town.

If you don't have a ticket to GABF - then this may be the next best place. During GABF brewers from all over bring in special kegs - and even kegs unavailable at GABF. It is nirvana - and crowded.

It became the early ground zero in the Colorado Craft brewing scene. A true stalwart of LoDo - maybe after the Wynkoop. Only drawback is it's size and lack of room. But the beer choices are spectacular. And on a beautiful Colorado night it can be a great place to start an evening in LoDo - chances are you won't go anywhere else though it is a difficult place to leave. If you are visitor from out of town - watch the intake on the high alcohol percentage brews if you haven't acclimated.

been to Blind Tiger. meh. it was OK. i dunno. beer prices were average for the area, taplist was just OK when i was there. 

it's small. must be here because of legacy. not disparaging its history as i'm not aware of it. 

been to Hopleaf. met @saintfool there. drank with @urbanhack there. @Nucular George was there, i think.  :thumbup: good time. bit of a wait to get drinks. kind of jam packed. good beer list. 

never been to Burnheart's @strykerpks  :shock:

eta: been to Roman's in Milwaukee. very nice list of beers. there were only... 6 people there on a Friday when we went. bartender was surly, slow and totally disinterested in helping. part of its charm?

been to Blind Tiger. meh. it was OK. i dunno. beer prices were average for the area, taplist was just OK when i was there. 

it's small. must be here because of legacy. not disparaging its history as i'm not aware of it. 

been to Hopleaf. met @saintfool there. drank with @urbanhack there. @Nucular George was there, i think.  :thumbup: good time. bit of a wait to get drinks. kind of jam packed. good beer list. 

never been to Burnheart's @strykerpks  :shock:

eta: been to Roman's in Milwaukee. very nice list of beers. there were only... 6 people there on a Friday when we went. bartender was surly, slow and totally disinterested in helping. part of its charm?
Yup. Mike is an interesting fella. He'll shut down at 9 on a Saturday with a full bar just because he feels like it. Some days are better than others. If the Blackhawks are on TV, look out.

Only been to the Avenue Pub in NOLA.

Cincy needs to get their #### together.  We are one of the top beer cities and some consider us to have one of top 5 craft beer scenes in the country, yet we can't get a bar on this list (or really any list)?

Must be because our taprooms are so popular.

Same, but I get to LA quite a bit and Naja's Place is it for beer. It helps that my best friend from college is walking distance and another of our very good friends has his boat docked outside the bar. Naja's means I'm having time with the oldest and best of friends. Pliny for me and Coors Light for Icon. No hipsters in site. Redondo Beach CA.

from that list i have only been to falling rock in denver and monk's kettle in san francisco.  both very good. 

falling rock has a much larger selection and more space. 

monk's kettle primarily has belgian and german bier, is very tight, and has very good belgian inspired food.

atmosphere definitely is a high priority for me. outdoor seating is nice, but i can also get into dives with a good selection.

from that list i have only been to falling rock in denver and monk's kettle in san francisco.  both very good. 

falling rock has a much larger selection and more space. 

monk's kettle primarily has belgian and german bier, is very tight, and has very good belgian inspired food.

atmosphere definitely is a high priority for me. outdoor seating is nice, but i can also get into dives with a good selection.
falling rock had way too many beers. really hard to ensure all lines are clean at all times with that many taps. 

monks kettle is good but pricey. toronado would have been a better SF choice even if it's getting a little long in the tooth. 

falling rock had way too many beers. really hard to ensure all lines are clean at all times with that many taps. 

monks kettle is good but pricey. toronado would have been a better SF choice even if it's getting a little long in the tooth. 
yeah... very different feel at toronado vs monk's kettle. toronado was more convenient and has a larger selection.  i used to like going north and hanging at marin brewing, moylans, lagunitas, taps, brewsters... but i wouldn't call those beer bars.

edit: i tend to prefer bier gartens

really liked this place south...

gourmet haus

Did we go there?

To be more specific, this is the original bar that I recommended meeting at.  Here's how the text message went:

S: "Wait, why aren't we meeting on Bourbon (St.)  30 minute walk from where I am.  Dude."

TF: "Was trying to pick a place between both (Shuke and Guster - who was also in town).  Thought you were gonna Uber?"

S: "Bourbon St. bro"

TF: (blows out) "OK, I'll change it up."

So any place that has a lot of beer on taps attracts hipsters?  This is a silly statement.
... and beer nerds. It was a two part indictment. (Although admittedly there is a bit of overlap) At least around here the beer needs / hipsters are generally not the type of people I enjoy drinking around/with. :shrug:  

We have a few places with a few taps (flying saucer has ~50 or 60 taps and over 100 bottles IIRC). It’s generally 80%+ guys, and usually well over half that are the off-putting beer nerd / hipster types.

I get that these dudes want to wax poetic on strains of hops, and how (insert brewery here) was wayyyyy better until it sold out, and how (insert obscure beer here) is so much better than anything they have on tap here.... that’s just not my jam, so I avoid em.

I will say the Lagunitas taproom in Chicago had a great vibe, though it may have been the band they had playing as much as anything. 

I’d rather drink a boring Sam Adams Lager or Guiness off the tap in a bar with a vibe I enjoy, than have 394 options in one I don’t. Different Strokes :D  

To be more specific, this is the original bar that I recommended meeting at.  Here's how the text message went:

S: "Wait, why aren't we meeting on Bourbon (St.)  30 minute walk from where I am.  Dude."

TF: "Was trying to pick a place between both (Shuke and Guster - who was also in town).  Thought you were gonna Uber?"

S: "Bourbon St. bro"

TF: (blows out) "OK, I'll change it up."
Shuke is a bourbon street guy? :mindblown: 

The appeal of the Beer Bar was a bigger deal 10 to 15 years ago when most bars had 5 to 10 taps consisting of national brands and the local liquor store had a limited number of craft beers.  Nowadays, we're in the craft beer salad days and it's much, much easier to access good beer at most restaurants and certainly at the liquor store (at least in the Midwest it is).  A good beer bar may have some rarer selections, but I'm less likely to be wow'd nowadays. 

As far as the list, I've been to 7 Monks in Traverse City and did enjoy the vibe there for sure.  
:goodposting: before the craft beer revolution there was more of an appeal.  Two successful beer bar franchise concepts spawned out of FL around this time, World of Beer & Brass Tap.  They were, and still are plugged in on the craft scene, and offer a great variety of bottles & drafts.  World of Beer was first, and originally just sold beer.  Then Brass Tap came out, and offered liquor & food.  Now, World of Beer has began to offer food l, and is going more to a restaurant like place, as opposed to neighborhood bar.  The places are still cool, and preferable if you want to watch a game.  However, there are so many breweries & tasting rooms around now, that I'd rather go to one of these if I'm going for the beer.  That's where you get the stuff that doesn't always make it to the masses at the beer bars.  More nitros & rarities.  I'm amazed this bubble hasn't popped to be honest.

The only one that I've been to ChurchKey.  I like the selection, but it's missing the historic, worn-in vibe that I like.  The favorite pubs that I've ever been to are some of the centuries-old ones that I've been to in Ireland.  Not really much to compare that to in the US.

I'm heading upstate NH in a few weeks; just across the border from the Ebenezer's Pub in Lovell, ME.  I may have to add that one to the itinerary.
Route your drive past Trillium (Canton) or Treehouse in MA.  Both have cool indoor/outdoor drinking areas for enjoying excellent fresh beer.  Or Armsby Abbey in Worcester for a great gastropub.  Often has Hill Farmstead on tap.  

Been to ChurchKey and enjoyed it greatly.  Favorites not on the list are Armsby Abbey (Worcester, MA), Prohibition Pig (Waterbury, VT) and Salty Pig (Boston, MA).  But mostly I don't go to beer bars anymore.  I get better beer at Trillium or from friends.  

Route your drive past Trillium (Canton) or Treehouse in MA.  Both have cool indoor/outdoor drinking areas for enjoying excellent fresh beer.  Or Armsby Abbey in Worcester for a great gastropub.  Often has Hill Farmstead on tap.  

Been to ChurchKey and enjoyed it greatly.  Favorites not on the list are Armsby Abbey (Worcester, MA), Prohibition Pig (Waterbury, VT) and Salty Pig (Boston, MA).  But mostly I don't go to beer bars anymore.  I get better beer at Trillium or from friends.
I'm flying versus driving.  Flying into Manchester NH, then heading over to Portsmouth for a few days before up to Mount Washington/Conway.  Know anything in NH?

like going to these restaurants that serve spaghetti, tacos, gyros, fish, breakfast, etc. and the menu is 8 pages long.

way, way too much to look at. 

gimme 8 taps and i'm good.

I am familiar with the Mayor of Old Town in Fort Collins.  I will stop by in October when I’m passing through.

like going to these restaurants that serve spaghetti, tacos, gyros, fish, breakfast, etc. and the menu is 8 pages long.

way, way too much to look at. 

gimme 8 taps and i'm good.
Aren’t you in the Greek Diner capital of the universe?  8 taps?  Really?

Shuke is a bourbon street guy? :mindblown: 
he was already down there for a work party at the conference he was attending.  I tried to get him out away from the tourist trap bars, but he wasn't budging.  It would've been about an 8 minute uber ride :shrug:

I hear you. Of course in the US we mostly don't have anything that old. But on the same note, I'll still lean toward the worn in more comfortable place that might be just 20 years old over the newer place lots of times. 

:goodposting: before the craft beer revolution there was more of an appeal.  Two successful beer bar franchise concepts spawned out of FL around this time, World of Beer & Brass Tap.  They were, and still are plugged in on the craft scene, and offer a great variety of bottles & drafts.  World of Beer was first, and originally just sold beer.  Then Brass Tap came out, and offered liquor & food.  Now, World of Beer has began to offer food l, and is going more to a restaurant like place, as opposed to neighborhood bar.  The places are still cool, and preferable if you want to watch a game.  However, there are so many breweries & tasting rooms around now, that I'd rather go to one of these if I'm going for the beer.  That's where you get the stuff that doesn't always make it to the masses at the beer bars.  More nitros & rarities.  I'm amazed this bubble hasn't popped to be honest.
The bubble will pop once everyone realizes that most IPA’s suck, and stops drinking them because it’s the cool thing to order. 

Users who are viewing this thread