What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (3 Viewers)

As my past posts here say ad nauseum, I also own Baltimore, and aside from this weekend, only one other match up -- against TB in WK 15 -- makes sense to start them from here on out, so dropping them after this game for one of the other options on your list -- all of whom have decidedly juicier matchups -- makes sense.

Of those you list, I think I like JAX the best if only because they seem to have the best complimentary schedule to TEN, and really only face a potential higher powered offense in IND in WK 13 (and it's arguable how high powered they are, which says a lot about the cupcake-ness of their other games.

I actually also like NE and IND as options -- both are playing fairly well fantasy D, both have some tasty match ups, and both play well at home -- IND in general and NE as the weather continues to chill.

JAX is slightly harder to trust, but they are gaining momentum, and seem to me to pair well with TEN.
BAL for week 12 (OAK) and week 15 (TB) both home games, but they have really sucked lately too! Then decided to drop JAX and pick up LAR, who were dropped because of KC and a bye this week. I consider LAR the #1 D/ST at this current moment in time. Week 13 (@ DET), week 14 (@ CHI), 15 (PHI), 16 (@ ARI). May not hold BAL just for week 15 to open up another roster spot and wait n' see about week 15 - maybe just go LAR ? The way Wentz played last week, GEESH!

Had a moment of wanting to start LAR against KC just because of the potential for a special teams TD, sure enough. Points against kinda cancelled that out. But, better than BAL last week who came up small with 1 point.

Hindsight prolly held JAX (dropped JAX for LAR - no way to hold 3 D's). I had to pick up LAR before last week to get them and JAX was playing PIT. PIT got the W, but the JAX D was flying all around. 

BAL for week 12 (OAK) and week 15 (TB) both home games, but they have really sucked lately too! Then decided to drop JAX and pick up LAR, who were dropped because of KC and a bye this week. I consider LAR the #1 D/ST at this current moment in time. Week 13 (@ DET), week 14 (@ CHI), 15 (PHI), 16 (@ ARI). May not hold BAL just for week 15 to open up another roster spot and wait n' see about week 15 - maybe just go LAR ? The way Wentz played last week, GEESH!

Had a moment of wanting to start LAR against KC just because of the potential for a special teams TD, sure enough. Points against kinda cancelled that out. But, better than BAL last week who came up small with 1 point.

Hindsight prolly held JAX (dropped JAX for LAR - no way to hold 3 D's). I had to pick up LAR before last week to get them and JAX was playing PIT. PIT got the W, but the JAX D was flying all around. 
Yeah no need for you to come in this thread anymore. 

What is everyone thinking of Indy? Can't decide if this is a legit defense or what.

I know the D is young and pretty disruptive. That said, I'm wondering if this is a situation (like in NO) where the offense is rolling so well that it helps the D out quite a bit.

Schedule is pretty sweet too: @JAX, @HOU, DAL, NYG.

Thinking of pairing with CHI D.

What is everyone thinking of Indy? Can't decide if this is a legit defense or what.

I know the D is young and pretty disruptive. That said, I'm wondering if this is a situation (like in NO) where the offense is rolling so well that it helps the D out quite a bit.

INDY doesn't seem to be getting too many accolades. The offense finally getting noticed. The defense has been pretty good actually. What's not to like?

Indy was on the waivers this week and I picked them up for both my leagues. They're only 18th in DVOA though, as a team.  

Looking ahead to week 13 defenses are thin in my league.  Thoughts on any of these matchups?

Den @ Cinn

Cinn vs Den

NO @ Dal

NYJ @ Ten

NE vs Minn

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else feel it's possible that CHI suffers a letdown tmrw??

Big win against MN. Sunday night game. REALLY quick turnaround and they have the early game @Detroit. 

And Trubisky out.

DET is banged up on offense, but this team has experience with this game/week and they always seem to pull something out of their butts on Thanksgiving.

Doubt I'll consider alternatives (like Indy or Philly), but curious if anyone else is.

Big win against MN. Sunday night game. REALLY quick turnaround and they have the early game @Detroit. 

And Trubisky out.

DET is banged up on offense, but this team has experience with this game/week and they always seem to pull something out of their butts on Thanksgiving.

Doubt I'll consider alternatives (like Indy or Philly), but curious if anyone else is.
No. Not concerned about a letdown at all. The Bears D is letting up. They're getting better. 

And Trubisky out.

It's possible but Detroit is a mess right now. No way im benching. 

I'm a Colts fan. Their defense is probably at best okay. They benefited from bad weather early in the season. Then they looked a bit worse then they probably actually are against the Patriots because their best defender Darius Leonard who is a really good young player was out. I would never start them in fantasy if Leonard is out. I think he probably still needs to improve in coverage but from a fantasy perspective he is excellent at forcing fumbles and disrupting the pass for a linebacker.

In regards to the rest of the defense, they sometimes have a pass rush and sometimes they don't (seems to vary from game to game). Their secondary is pretty lackluster in my opinion. 

I think they're a solid start when they're at home against a bottom tier or turnover prone offense though. Really, most of of the fantasy defenses this year have been very match-up dependent.

I've been extremely lucky streaming this year. Only hit one huge week but have only gotten less than 9 points in 2 weeks so far. 

I took a chance in Waivers tonight.

Dropped Balt & Ten defenses to pick up Denver & Buffalo. Just got tired of Baltimore defense low scoring and Buffalo (vs. Jac) just as good this week as Baltimore (vs. Oak). Then, use Buf and Denver ROS into playoffs.

shadyridr said:
You dropped Baltimore home vs Oakland? I dunno about that. 
Yupper.  I believe Buffalo defense will score more points against Jacsonville than the Baltimore defense will. Plus.....Baltimore sucks going forward and Buffalo's schedule is extremely nice.

So how good is buff def? I'm debating dropping Balt and finding a def to pair with Hou.
Well, I debated all week on who to pick up between Buf, Denver, Indy, NE and Jac. In my league, the Bills had the highest average PPG and their schedule going forward is cake. I now have Denver and Buffalo for weeks 12-16 and I am pleased with that.

I gambled that Buffalo will score more points than Baltimore this week and I believe I am right.....but, to each his own!

Starting Buffalo over Washington and with KC on a bye
Have HOU v Titans rn but contemplating BUF - 3 good matchups WKS 12-14

JAX

@MIA

NYJ

Would have to drop DEN. The Broncos are not the defense we thought they would be or have been in the past. Save the 2 TD monster game v the Cardinals, they haven’t hit double digits in FFP since week one.

Have HOU v Titans rn but contemplating BUF - 3 good matchups WKS 12-14

JAX

@MIA

NYJ

Would have to drop DEN. The Broncos are not the defense we thought they would be or have been in the past. Save the 2 TD monster game v the Cardinals, they haven’t hit double digits in FFP since week one.
I hate to depend on Buffalo for the rest of the season but I have to ditch Redskins, which was my original plan. Comes down to KC and Buffalo now.  But Buffalo does have an awesome schedule. 

I picked up the Titans for their week 13-15 matchups (Jets, Jags, at Giants). Thinking of pairing them with the Packers (at Jets week 16). I may even add the Redskins or Lions for their week 15 matchups (at Jags, at Bills).

I was looking at the Lions for an advantage with their absolutely insane week 14 and 15 matchups (at Ari, At Buf).    

Thanks to the dumpster fire of year up there I  went back and forth but finally decided I don’t trust Patricia to keep that team focused during away games that late into a lost season so I’ll leave it for somebody else.

Running with Chicago but rostering Seattle for the Rams v Bears game in week 14.

Lions D should be top 12 next year if Patrica likes being employed.

Which 2 of these for ROS? NE, NYJ, KC?
Jets have gotten much worse pretty quickly so they’d be the odd man out if you’re making the call right now.

Talented defensive unit though and the offense will get slightly less disgusting when Darnold comes back so I’d maybe try and hold three DSTs for a week or two to see how it plays out, probably depends on who your adding in that spot

Jets have gotten much worse pretty quickly so they’d be the odd man out if you’re making the call right now.

Talented defensive unit though and the offense will get slightly less disgusting when Darnold comes back so I’d maybe try and hold three DSTs for a week or two to see how it plays out, probably depends on who your adding in that spot
Dropped NYJ & rolling with NE & KC. It's dynasty & the only one I'd be willing to drop is Eli, but then I have no backup if Goff goes down.

I've been streaming Baltimore the last two weeks, but going with Seattle for next week, possibly longer. Home for SF, and Mullins seems to have turned back into a pumpkin. In Weeks 14-15 they get Minn/@SF.

Also considered KC, Tenn, Miami and Philly. I don't think there's any slam dunk choice.

I've been streaming Baltimore the last two weeks, but going with Seattle for next week, possibly longer. Home for SF, and Mullins seems to have turned back into a pumpkin. In Weeks 14-15 they get Minn/@SF.

Also considered KC, Tenn, Miami and Philly. I don't think there's any slam dunk choice.
One addendum: if you're looking for one D to ride ROS, I'd go with Tenn. They play NYJ/Jax/@NYG/Wash.

Ton of streamers this week:

* GB vs AZ -- Rosen looks horrible. GB at home. Totally decimated by injuries, but still managed to hold MN to 24.

* KC @OAK -- Oak gets behind, Carr does stupid things.

* MIA vs BUF -- A little scarier now that J. Allen back at QB. Still not a very good passer, but this offense just seems to get it done when he's under center.

* SEA vs SF -- Mullens back to earth. SEA at home. Should be a blowout.

As for playoff matchups, really want to trust the INDY D to pair with CHI to cover for week 14 vs LAR. @HOU. Not sure they can be trusted. May have to go after NO who faces @TB. Don't love that outside the dome.

flapgreen said:
7 points for Buffalo. I'll take it
Pondered it this week but let it go. Starting HOU tonight.

Tempted to get sucked back into the Broncos vortex this week just because the WKS 13-16 schedule is so cake. Would mean dropping A Miller (WR6.)

Pondered it this week but let it go. Starting HOU tonight.

Tempted to get sucked back into the Broncos vortex this week just because the WKS 13-16 schedule is so cake. Would mean dropping A Miller (WR6.)
Too funny. I'm facing them tonight and need them to not have a huge game so I can hold the lead. 

Too funny. I'm facing them tonight and need them to not have a huge game so I can hold the lead. 
Broncos WK 7 (38.00) was the high DST score of the year for our league scoring system, which includes low level points for yardage allowed, TFL and 4th down stops. I basically need the Texans to have the best game of the year for a DST.

OK, not quite, but 30 points from a DST is rare (Green Bay Wk 4, Bears and Dolphins Wk 9.)

My opponent picked up and started Baker Mayfield. And got an extra 4.08 points on Boswell throwing a TD to an OL from 2 yards out. I should make the playoffs so NBD but I hate losing to the same team twice in the same year.

Of all the options being discussed.....I can't find a good reason to not get the Buffalo Bills defense. In one of my Leagues, they are the 7th highest scoring defense and have Miami, Jets, Detroit and NE(week16) left. So weeks 13-15 are great options, no?

Broncos + Seahawks ROS like other posters have said. 
Well, I respect your opinion......but I will just have to disagree on the Seattle part of the equation. What do they bring to the table the last 4 weeks? I know they play SF twice, but SF is not a "gimmie". Not bad, but certainly not Arizona offense bad.

I'm curious what others are thinking for Week 14 and 15 pre-emptive pickups. My thoughts in rough order (assuming CHI, LAR, HOU, MIN rostered):

Week 14: LAC, DEN, NYJ, BUF, PIT, ARI, WAS, TEN

Week 15: BAL, WAS, SEA, DET, BUF, CIN

Held BAL this long, and while their match ups ROS aren't pretty, I like the WK 15 tilt at home against TB. Winston seems to have put some fire in that team, but I think it's one of the more favorable match ups compared to waiver options.

Was able to also get DEN, whose schedule is perfectly complimentary, as aside from WK 15, their match ups look good. 

This nets me the following schedule:

WK 13 DEN @ CIN

WK 14 DEN @ SF

WK 15 BAL v TB

WK 16 DEN @ OAK

The only thing I don't like are all the road games.

Looking to burn a spot on a third D, and eyeing TEN, SEA or WAS primarily given their similarly complimentary schedules to these. THis would give me the following options:

WK 13 DEN @ CIN; SEA v SF

WK 14 DEN @ SF; TEN v JAX; WAS v NYG

WK 15 BAL v TB; TEN @ NYG; SEA @ SF; WAS @ JAX

WK 16 DEN @ OAK, TEN v WAS; WAS @ TEN

Any opinions on who you think might be a better long term pickup based on this schedule -- SEA, TEN, or WAS? 

WAS was an earlier favorite but seem much more risky now given their offense will struggle. So leaning TEN.

Should I also be looking hard at a D like the Bills? 

Users who are viewing this thread