What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (8 Viewers)

Broncos are a bottom 8 defense. But I've been pointing that out for weeks and it hasn't slowed anyone down, so GLWT.

F### it. Dropped my WR4/5 (Coutee and Sutton) and got Seattle, Tenn and Denver. Will most likely start Seattle vs SF this week, Tenn vs Jax Week 14, Seattle @SF (or maybe Tenn @NYG) Week 15 and Denver @Oak Week 16.

Could come back to bite me if Thielen or Cooks gets injured (my only other WR is John Brown, who is unusable as long as Flacco is out) but I'll take my chances.

F### it. Dropped my WR4/5 (Coutee and Sutton) and got Seattle, Tenn and Denver. Will most likely start Seattle vs SF this week, Tenn vs Jax Week 14, Seattle @SF (or maybe Tenn @NYG) Week 15 and Denver @Oak Week 16.

Could come back to bite me if Thielen or Cooks gets injured (my only other WR is John Brown, who is unusable as long as Flacco is out) but I'll take my chances.
Fortune favors the bold. NIcely done.

I think with that stable of WRs, you'll be fine.

#9 fantasy D in my league overall.

Appreciate the hyperbole and contrarian view, but I think I'm still rolling with them.
Curious, how much of that is skewed by the Arizona game? 

I view them as middle of the pack overall, but with a couple guys capable of delivering big plays and raising their ceiling. Like them as a streaming option against bad offenses, but something like the performance they had against the Jets is always looming.

Was lucky to grab SEA last night for their matchup week 15 @SF. That's a plan B in the case where I sit CHI D against A. Rodgers.

However, if I don't win and get a first round bye in the playoffs I am REALLY stuck next week with CHI D facing the LAR. Short benches so all the good options mentioned above are long gone.

Options:

* NO @TB -- Away from dome. Fitzy burned them in week 1. Different D now, but still, Winston can put points on the board.

* SEA vs MN -- At home, but MN with many weapons.

* NYJ @BUF -- Don't think the NYJ are to be trusted.

* DAL vs PHI -- May be a decent choice if PHI still floundering.

Hoping somebody makes a mistake and drops somebody, but otherwise, any thoughts on these lousy options?

Was lucky to grab SEA last night for their matchup week 15 @SF. That's a plan B in the case where I sit CHI D against A. Rodgers.

However, if I don't win and get a first round bye in the playoffs I am REALLY stuck next week with CHI D facing the LAR. Short benches so all the good options mentioned above are long gone.

Options:

* NO @TB -- Away from dome. Fitzy burned them in week 1. Different D now, but still, Winston can put points on the board.

* SEA vs MN -- At home, but MN with many weapons.

* NYJ @BUF -- Don't think the NYJ are to be trusted.

* DAL vs PHI -- May be a decent choice if PHI still floundering.

Hoping somebody makes a mistake and drops somebody, but otherwise, any thoughts on these lousy options?
NO isnt a lousy option especially vs TB. I dont care where the game is.

Holding BUF I picked up SEA.   Plan is SEA, BUF, SEA, ???/waiver.

BUF : @MIA, NYJ, DET, @NE 

SEA:  SF, MIN, @SF,  KC 

33% of their points scored in one week (Wk 7)
Yes, I get it.

They are also #9 over the trailing 4 weeks, which accounts for games past that ARI game.

Beyond that, NFL Ds seem to me to be more susceptible to momentum -- positively and negatively -- and just because a D is poor (statistically or otherwise) match ups and momentum absolutely count.

KC is a great example, statistically one of the worst in the NFL this year (some discussion early in the year of this being the worst statistical D ever), but they make for great plays at times - many are calling them out as a great one-week option this week or as holds ROS. 

Denver has faced some good offensive teams their last 4 games -- PIT, LAC, and HOU -- and have been very serviceable in their fantasy return. They face inordinately easier teams to finish the year so they look that much better in terms of opportunity to be high fantasy scorers. Their momentum is trending the right way, too -- their average pass D has only allowed >215 pass yards three times since WK5, and continue to be very stout against the run, as they have all year save for some lapses early season vs Jets and Rams. I believe they are Top 3 in rush yards allowed, and have not allowed a rush TD in their last 4-5 games.

Feel free to disagree, but those are my reasons -- sans hyperbole.

ROS, stacking Broncos, Ravens, and Titans. Good mixture of solid options each week through playoffs, and a degree of strategic keep-away from other GMs.

WK 13 DEN @ CIN

WK 14 TEN v JAX  (or DEN @ SF but I like taking a D at home)

WK 15 BAL v TB (or TEN @ NYG, but see note above)

WK 16 DEN @ OAK (or TEN v WAS but will forego my preference for Ds at home for the ship weekend given how bad my Raiders are).

Pondered it this week but let it go. Starting HOU tonight.

Tempted to get sucked back into the Broncos vortex this week just because the WKS 13-16 schedule is so cake. Would mean dropping A Miller (WR6.)
Won my game by 0.2 by starting Buffalo over Washington. Whew

KC is a top 5 fantasy defense this year. They are an obvious play this week but I wonder if they are still not a great play next week home vs Baltimore. Imagine Lamar Jackson having to throw the ball a lot?

I'm through past the bye week, so only weeks 15 and 16 concern me.

Picked up JAX, liking their matchups against Colt McCoy and Tannehill/Osweiler in those weeks, but after they crapped the bed against a terrible Bills offense, I don't trust them.

Thinking SEA @ SF week 15 and Broncos v OAK week 16 look the best bets now?

Have KC and Den, leaning Denver this week b/c of rookie QB 1st start, what are others doing?  Is it overthinking not going with KC and 15 pt spread?

Last edited by a moderator:
Indy a good play this week? No Fournette and not sure if benching Bortles helps or hurts?
If your DST scoring penalized for points and yards allowed I’d be avoiding Indy this week depending on what else is out there.

Divisional battle, away game, all those things.  Wouldn’t be surprised if Indy blows them out, also wouldn’t be surprised if the game finishes 31-34 in OT.

KC is a top 5 fantasy defense this year. They are an obvious play this week but I wonder if they are still not a great play next week home vs Baltimore. Imagine Lamar Jackson having to throw the ball a lot?
Agree.  This week is a good year too. first away game and the best defense he’s played yet, even if not a good D overall

KC is also a hard place to play

If your DST scoring penalized for points and yards allowed I’d be avoiding Indy this week depending on what else is out there.

Divisional battle, away game, all those things.  Wouldn’t be surprised if Indy blows them out, also wouldn’t be surprised if the game finishes 31-34 in OT.
Jax has enough on offense you think with back ups?

Any thoughts on the Skins?

9th in pts in my league and no HUGE games to skew the total pts

wks 14-16 ...

NYG

@Jax

@ Ten

Jax has enough on offense you think with back ups?
There RBs ya but kind of a crap shoot a QB plus a new OC too.  Bortles actually seemed to play better without Fournette fantasy wise but Kessler will probably dink and dunk 3 and outs more so I guess it’s a better play than I was thinking.

Picks and sacks... and always the possibility of Hill returning a punt. I'm plugging KC in to my line-up this week and just leaving them there. They give up points, but they seem to create plays every week.

TEN or DEN this week?

I lean TEN just for the home game factor, but TEN isn't a world-beating team and the Jets can be unexpectedly streaky. 

DEN is on the road, but against a reeling team with a back-up under center.

TEN as it's likely to be a low scoring game, or DEN as Driskell is bound to make mistakes?

Think I changed my mind on Detroit DST next week at Arizona.  They’re run D is actually really solid lately, then I looked up Rosen’s stat lines this year, laughed, and figured this is looking like a pretty solid low scoring game.

Still wouldn’t touch the Buffalo away game week 15 though.  It’s a trap.

Definitely rolling Lions week 14 over Seattle.  Glad I picked them up when I did.

Seattle just allowed Nick Mullen’s to throw for 400 yards and would have lost me my game this past week if Bobby Wagner hadnt grabbed that 90 some yard pick six.

Definitely some risk with Detroit in an away game but they matchup well versus the Cards.  Very hard to run on Detroit lately (second half versus Rams was an exception) and that’s most of what the Cards are good at on offense.  The Arizona passing game is led by a guy who looks like he’s a year or two away from a Flacco ceiling and they just lost their #2 WR Kirk to IR.

High floor for Lions DST IMO since pace in this game will be s-l-o-w, and over/under will probably the lowest one this week.

Upside isn’t what it should be since the Lions do not force many turnovers most weeks.

Stick with Houston or go after Chargers?

Under 100 rushing = 5 points,  under 150 passing is 5, and then the only other scoring is sacks, INT, FR - 1 point each.  (0.1 per INT/FR return)

On a bye this week. At a loss on what to do the following 2 weeks. Redskins have become much less likely now. I've been very lucky all season. 

have a claim for the bills.  picked up the chiefs for last week.  didn't turn out as expected.

any thoughts for the next 2 weeks?

This thread is immensely helpful. 

Also have a claim for the Bills. If I don't get them, then I'm rolling with TEN or NYG, all of whom are on our wire.  

Who is sticking with the Chicago D week 15 vs GB?? Total letdown @NYG this past week and we'll get a middling A. Rodgers although maybe he and that offense will be unshackled a bit without McCarthy.

Only two decent options otherwise I have: DET @BUF (where I could see J. Allen causing problems) or Dallas (@indy). Not sure they are much if at all better.

NYG wasn’t a great matchup with a backup QB starting his first away game.  They are a bad football team but they haven’t been a good matchup for DST’s this year.

Im starting the Lions this week. I am not starting them week 15.  They could easily lose you a game that week with how the Bills are playing.

Out of those three Id play Chicago. Keep in mind it took a Defensive TD to save the day fantasy wise for us week 1 at GB though.

With the week 15 GB game at home I like Chicago as at least a top 12 unit with upside that week.  Dallas probably has a similar floor at Indy but I don’t see the upside there with it being played in Indy.

On a bye and may try for the Cowboys for week 15 and 16 for Indy and Tampa.  KC, Buffalo, and Redskins appear to be a no go during the final 2 weeks. 

There's really a bunch of defenses on my wire that I could use. I have Hou and Balt but thinking of picking up another def to play matchups. Det, Buf, Dal, and Jax. Jax and Dal have tasty matchups. Keep thinking I'm overthinking the Def play. Hate rostering 3 but it's appealing to cover the weeks that Hou and Balt Aren't good matchups.

There's really a bunch of defenses on my wire that I could use. I have Hou and Balt but thinking of picking up another def to play matchups. Det, Buf, Dal, and Jax. Jax and Dal have tasty matchups. Keep thinking I'm overthinking the Def play. Hate rostering 3 but it's appealing to cover the weeks that Hou and Balt Aren't good matchups.
In the same boat.  I have Houston but Luck doesn't take sacks.  Points Allowed doesn't matter in my league (Sacks, Int's, FR) are 1 and if you hold the opposing team to under 100 rushing it's 5 more (very random) Luck can run too.

I'm looking at the Chargers vs Cinci over them.  I may play Houston over the Bills if I don't get LAC.

Users who are viewing this thread