What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (3 Viewers)

I am rolling with the Jets this week.  Not feeling very confident about it but with the Giants giving up a ton of sacks, and Engram and Shepard out they have potential to play well this week.

should i roll out the 49ers or switch to the giants or the jets?  Ugh...what an ugly week
I went with the Jets over SF.  Not feeling confident about it and maybe it's an overreaction based on how SF D played last week but I am basing my decision on the Giants having a much worse offense than Seattle so there is a greater opportunity for sacks and turnovers.

I went with the Jets over SF.  Not feeling confident about it and maybe it's an overreaction based on how SF D played last week but I am basing my decision on the Giants having a much worse offense than Seattle so there is a greater opportunity for sacks and turnovers.
i think i like the choice...sea just doesn't give up many sacks and ints.  What's the min points they are going to put it up...it has to be at least 20

i think i like the choice...sea just doesn't give up many sacks and ints.  What's the min points they are going to put it up...it has to be at least 20
That is what I am thinking plus in my league we lose 2 points for every 7 allowed so I need to take points against into account.  Josh Gordon possibly playing for Sea is also factoring into my decision.  I see a better QB in Seattle with a ton of weapons vs a rookie QB for the Giants with a porous offensive line and two of his offensive weapons out for the game.  

I picked up the Panthers because they're 5th overall in my league, but I'm noticing that nobody seems to be very high on them this week. The consensus ranker at FantasyPros has them at #20 this week, and they're only being started in 54% of MFL leagues.

The best available options on the WW are the Browns (#8 in consensus rankings), Lions (#13), Jets (#14) and Cowboys (#15).

Why are the Panthers such a bad play? It's not like Green Bay is unstoppable this year.

Are the Browns really a good play? They seem shaky, and Buffalo is on a roll right now.

I picked up Pittsburgh over San Francisco in one league. I'm hoping that sticks well. DVOA has their weighted rank as third, and they haven't scored under ten points in four or five weeks. SF lost a key cog at linebacker and has one of the weakest schedules faced per DVOA in the league.

God, I hope these stats are telling me something right. Truthfully told, I think Seattle will do just fine on offense vs. SF and Goff, who is notoriously bad under pressure, caves in the face of the Steelers' resurgent pass rush.   

I have the Giants D in now. 

Should i switch them out for the Bears now ? 

Need opinions on Bears D from Bears fans against Detroit with a new QB

it's such a tough decision...
For me it comes down to momentum.

Jets D has some solid players but in addition to not having CJ Mosely, another starting LB in Hewitt, and starting CB Roberts doubtful, and with their starting NE (McLendon) and DE (Anderson) limited all week and questionable for the game, not confident in the health of this squad. Add that to the generally fractured team under Gase, and Sam still looking poor under center, I don't think the Jets have a lot juice in terms of momentum.

Giants D isn't so much better, and have allowed opponents at LEAST 24 points in every game so far. But they had some momentum playing Dallas really tight in the opening quarter or two, have Williams that may provide a spark, and see above comment about Sam, which I think will lead to a low scoring game with opportunity for picks/sacks.

Jets D has some solid players but in addition to not having CJ Mosely, another starting LB in Hewitt, and starting CB Roberts doubtful, and with their starting NE (McLendon) and DE (Anderson) limited all week and questionable for the game, not confident in the health of this squad. Add that to the generally fractured team under Gase, and Sam still looking poor under center, I don't think the Jets have a lot juice in terms of momentum.

Giants D isn't so much better, and have allowed opponents at LEAST 24 points in every game so far. But they had some momentum playing Dallas really tight in the opening quarter or two, have Williams that may provide a spark, and see above comment about Sam, which I think will lead to a low scoring game with opportunity for picks/sacks.
i agree with all of it and i still hate having to start either one :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Would you start Buff (@ Cleve) over both, if you had them?

I picked up Pittsburgh over San Francisco in one league. I'm hoping that sticks well. DVOA has their weighted rank as third, and they haven't scored under ten points in four or five weeks. SF lost a key cog at linebacker and has one of the weakest schedules faced per DVOA in the league.

God, I hope these stats are telling me something right. Truthfully told, I think Seattle will do just fine on offense vs. SF and Goff, who is notoriously bad under pressure, caves in the face of the Steelers' resurgent pass rush.   
:bowtie:

4 sacks, three picks, one fumble recovery, one D/ST TD.

25 points. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to play the Jets this week.  All in all they were fine, no INTs, but 5 sacks, 1TD, 6 TFLs.

Anyone out there still enticed by their upcoming schedule?  @Was  Oak  @Cin  Mia??  Or are they just too bad/tanking for Tua?

I had to play the Jets this week.  All in all they were fine, no INTs, but 5 sacks, 1TD, 6 TFLs.

Anyone out there still enticed by their upcoming schedule?  @Was  Oak  @Cin  Mia??  Or are they just too bad/tanking for Tua?
A lot of people had noticed that, mulled it, and are now watching the product and changing their mind. I don't think they're tanking, but they're not the same defense they were even during their horrible stretch. Mosley is out and they traded away Williams.

A lot of people had noticed that, mulled it, and are now watching the product and changing their mind. I don't think they're tanking, but they're not the same defense they were even during their horrible stretch. Mosley is out and they traded away Williams.
Yeah, I hear (and had read) all that but here is the D scoring in my main league this week:

Jets - 21

49ers - TBD

Steelers - 28

Bears - 9

Chargers - 9 

Cowboys - 4 (midway thru 3q)

Lions - 7

Saints - 6

Panthers - 5

Giants - 5

Ravens - 27

Vikings - 2 (midway thru 3q)

Colts - 12

Packers - 10

Bills - 10

Available teams - Titans, Eagles, Browns, Bucs, Seahawks, Raiders, and the rest of the rif raf.  

Small sample size, but matchups matter.  Top 3 TD scorers this week played the Giants, Bengals, and Rams(?).  Patriots were exposed as very average playing their first competitive team.

I guess I'm STILL mulling it over, not ready to dismiss the Jets D just yet.

Available teams - Titans, Eagles, Browns, Bucs, Seahawks, Raiders, and the rest of the rif raf.  

Small sample size, but matchups matter.  Top 3 TD scorers this week played the Giants, Bengals, and Rams(?).  Patriots were exposed as very average playing their first competitive team.

Oh sure, I'm not trying to talk you out of the Jets or pooh-poohing them or the wonderful nature of their matchups. They're just not the same squad they even were at the beginning of the year when they were getting killed with Luke Falk and company.

I'm not dismissing them either. 

Thought the Giants would be good for for this week and their late season schedule, but now just as unsure about them as I am about the Jets. 

Wire was thin all year, but with byes this week seems to be a lot of options -- PHI, CAR, LAC, CAR, HOU, DEN.

I played them too, and they worked out great. I get points and yards against in my main league, and the Jets got me 26 points. I played Darnold too due to bye week, and he also did well. I don't plan on playing him again. Not sure about the Jets D.  

Geez, you have to wonder about an article that gets Jeff Driskel's team wrong. Good job, Rotoworld. You've got him starting for Cincinnati.

If anyone is looking ahead and has a bye week wrapped up, who are we looking at for Weeks 14-16?

Eagles @ Washington is week 15, but it's an away game and Guice should be back and Haskins more time under his belt?

GB is home vs Chicago?

Chiefs are home vs Denver Week 15, @ Chicago week 16 (Garbage time points against though you have to watch out for)

Running with the NE DEF now, but any good recommendations to stream with them?  Looking primarily at Wks 11-14.  I may run with NE this week, unless there are better options.  Considering the following:

CAR - ATL, @NO, WAS, @ATL

NYJ - @WAS, OAK, @CIN, MIA

NE - @PHI, DAL, @HOU, KC

CAR has really turned it on lately on the defensive front.  NYJ's defense is the only thing keeping them in some games.  Both teams have ++ matchups 3 out of the next 4 weeks. Either choice, I'd have to start NE vs DAL, which a cold day in NE may not be as bad as it looks on paper.

Thoughts?

Debating between Panthers and Ravens... can only hold on to one. Baltimore's been trending up and have the better playoff schedule. Their next 2 games are HOU and @LAR which are not so daunting. But Carolina has the easier next two weeks (ATL, WAS)

Debating between Panthers and Ravens... can only hold on to one. Baltimore's been trending up and have the better playoff schedule. Their next 2 games are HOU and @LAR which are not so daunting. But Carolina has the easier next two weeks (ATL, WAS)
I'd rather whoever is on your waiver wire who has a juicy matchup this week.

ATL  is not easy with Ryan back. Neither is HOU. 

Debating Jets against Haskins or Raiders against Finley
I actually think it's a coinflip. This week, lean Raiders but likely close. Jets have a good wait and see schedule despite the loss of so many players with softer schedules so I went that way this week to do just that -- hold and see. Not sure Raiders are dependable after this week given their schedule.

And what makes me nervous about the Raiders this week -- how they respond to losing some pretty key pieces in the secondary (Joyner and Joseph). Raiders were already very weak against the pass, so nothing has changed there, but there is added volatility where we pretty much know what we have in a depleted Jets D squad who actually performed well last week.

I'm considering going with the Jets (@Was) over NE (@Phi) 😲 😬- NE carried my team through Week 8 but I don't like their schedule going forward (not that I'm dropping them).  I played the Jets last week, but NE wasn't available....hummmm

I actually think it's a coinflip. This week, lean Raiders but likely close. Jets have a good wait and see schedule despite the loss of so many players with softer schedules so I went that way this week to do just that -- hold and see. Not sure Raiders are dependable after this week given their schedule.

And what makes me nervous about the Raiders this week -- how they respond to losing some pretty key pieces in the secondary (Joyner and Joseph). Raiders were already very weak against the pass, so nothing has changed there, but there is added volatility where we pretty much know what we have in a depleted Jets D squad who actually performed well last week.
I tried getting them but was outbid. I may just roll Panthers but reeeeeally wanna do the Jets. For the record I played Miami over Panthers last week so maybe I’m just feeling myself a bit

I dropped the Saints for the Rams. Was holding the Jets but when they shat the bed vs Miami I dumped them. Might pick them back up after this week for the stretch run. But I can live with the Rams this weekend against the Bears who actually don’t turn the ball over much but can’t score. 

Walking Boot said:
Who are you afraid of on the Eagles? They have zero healthy receivers. 
Mmmm....it's not the Eagles offense per se, but the Eagles are a much better team than Wash. and less likely to turn it over 5 times, unlike the bottom of the barrel Skins/HaSkins.  But D points are difficult to predict.

I have Pittsburgh for the rest of the year. Their sched? @Cle, @Cin, Cle, @Ari, Buf, NYJ.

Looks juicy, right?

But somehow I'm leaving the Jets on the wire this week, and Haskins and the Redskins look so bad, I'm thinking of dropping Pittsburgh. 

I have Pittsburgh for the rest of the year. Their sched? @Cle, @Cin, Cle, @Ari, Buf, NYJ.

Looks juicy, right?

But somehow I'm leaving the Jets on the wire this week, and Haskins and the Redskins look so bad, I'm thinking of dropping Pittsburgh. 

Users who are viewing this thread