Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

2019 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread

2 hours ago, C-Bound said:

I plan on dropping the 49ers for the Jets this week.  Pairing up Bills and Jets ROS.

Cojones 

Every week I say it’s time to dump San Fran defense and every week I don’t and get good results.

Is it time to dump San Fran defense?

Especially if you are clawing and scratching for a playoff spot and every win and point counts?

14 minutes ago, VikingFrog said:

Every week I say it’s time to dump San Fran defense and every week I don’t and get good results.

Especially if you are clawing and scratching for a playoff spot and every win and point counts?

Yeah I have no idea what to do.

On 11/18/2019 at 6:11 PM, Judge Smails said:

Cojones 

Perhaps, but they just lost Dee Ford for a few weeks and you couldn't hand pick a worse schedule for them going forward.

16 minutes ago, C-Bound said:

Perhaps, but they just lost Dee Ford for a few weeks and you couldn't hand pick a worse schedule for them going forward.

Yeah. If you don’t start them this week, you definitely aren’t starting them next week.

I likely plan on dropping them as well. Though Rodgers has had some bad games. Sunday night with my playoffs on the line is not a time I want to test those waters.

Would you guys bench Baltimore for DET/CLE if I could get one off waivers?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoBirds said:

Speaking as a Rams fan...play the Ravens.

• Thanks 1

I understand liking whoever plays the Dolphins this week, but Cleveland just lost 2 starters (Morgan Burnett and Myles Garrett) for the season, plus Larry Ogunjobi for a game.  Plus all the distraction of the past few days.  Doesn't that give you pause?

1 minute ago, themeistersinger said:

I understand liking whoever plays the Dolphins this week, but Cleveland just lost 2 starters (Morgan Burnett and Myles Garrett) for the season, plus Larry Ogunjobi for a game.  Plus all the distraction of the past few days.  Doesn't that give you pause?

It’s a definite factor. Even with a juicy matchup it worries me. I’m still probably trying to pick them up as I don’t trust Detroit, and the rest of the wire is pretty bare.

1 minute ago, themeistersinger said:

Yes it does, for me. I totally get why they are highly ranked this week, and they still have the ability to earn that high rank - both from the players not injured/suspended and given who they play against.

But D's tend to have some momentum and it's going the wrong way for CLE right now. A lot of variability in terms of how they will respond.

If this game was a road game, it have that much more of a trap game smell all over it.

Any consideration for the Falcons?  Two straight big weeks, plus now they get the turnover machine Winston.  Considering how awful they were to star the year, could be scary, but why can't they keep up what they did the last 2 weeks?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, shadyridr said:

Yeah I have no idea what to do.

I mean no disrespect so don't take it that way. What you just said is what this board is all about.

None of us know. We all spend varying amounts of time studying this or that; some of us post our thoughts and some don't. But what you said? THAT WHY WERE HERE

1 minute ago, fatness said:

I mean no disrespect so don't take it that way. What you just said is what this board is all about.

None of us know. We all spend varying amounts of time studying this or that; some of us post our thoughts and some don't. But what you said? THAT WHY WERE HERE

Huh?

Hate to drop the Rams after they have been consistent all season but playing the Ravens this week and the ROS schedule is rough. 

14 hours ago, VikingFrog said:

why?

8 hours ago, themeistersinger said:

I play everyone against Dolphins D more than I play the D playing against the Dolphins offense.

9 hours ago, GoBirds said:

9 hours ago, C-Bound said:

Speaking as a Rams fan...play the Ravens.

I just noticed I am all in on BALTIMORE D/ST on all 3 leagues I play in. I may find a spot play with a second defense perhaps, most likely stand pat.

I sense the momentum building in BAL on offense and defense. This team is riding high. Can Harbaugh keep them up. Can the team keep playing inspired football?

I'm riding the wave...

And Goff seems to be in a little funk. He could break out, don't like it that the WR's haven't been consistent. Kinda throws things off for the Rams leaning on Gurley. If BAL gets off to a decent lead, then hello defense again.

• Thanks 1

Went with ATL at home vs Tampa. 

Tampa has given up 36 sacks and turned the ball over 26 times in their 10 games. 

• Like 1

Just now, johnnyboy8102 said:

Went with ATL at home vs Tampa. 

Tampa has given up 36 sacks and turned the ball over 26 times in their 10 games. 

ATL has two good things going for them, 1) they are playing solid football the last two weeks on both sides of the ball, 2) they get Winston.

54 minutes ago, Team Smokin' said:

I just noticed I am all in on BALTIMORE D/ST on all 3 leagues I play in. I may find a spot play with a second defense perhaps, most likely stand pat.

I sense the momentum building in BAL on offense and defense. This team is riding high. Can Harbaugh keep them up. Can the team keep playing inspired football?

I'm riding the wave...

And Goff seems to be in a little funk. He could break out, don't like it that the WR's haven't been consistent. Kinda throws things off for the Rams leaning on Gurley. If BAL gets off to a decent lead, then hello defense again.

Dont underestimate the knowledge Peters brings to the defensive room about the Rams offense. 

Ravens did great on the road in Seattle, I hope they can do the same n the road against the Rams. 

I find myself needing a must win as Im 6-5 and the points leader by 50. SMF fantasy football is crazy. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, -fish- said:

why?

There 3 game stretch is about as tough as it gets 

Green Bay, @ Baltimore , @ New Orleans

They lost a playmaker for a few weeks.

Arizona gave them fits twice recently.

I need to choose the defense that will score the most points in the next two weeks and I’m not sure that defense is San Francisco.

Edited by VikingFrog

2 hours ago, Team Smokin' said:

I'm riding the wave...

I am also debating what to do with Baltimore.  Own NEP and had grabbed BAL a couple weeks ago for the bye.

I benched BAL last week against HOU, but that was pretty impressive.

Their next 3 are LAR, SF and BUF.  While none of those are auto-starts, the way that BAL has been playing lately, none of them really scare me as opponents.

OTOH, I need to drop someone for TE bye coverage and I am in 3rd place safely in the playoffs and have NEP for a good playoff run, so maybe I don't really NEED BAL.  But they seem like they might still be worth stashing as an option.

Decisions, decisions...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VikingFrog said:

There 3 game stretch is about as tough as it gets 

Green Bay, @ Baltimore , @ New Orleans

They lost a playmaker for a few weeks.

Arizona gave them fits twice recently.

I need to choose the defense that will score the most points in the next two weeks and I’m not sure that defense is San Francisco.

So right now I am rostering CLE & SF. My plan is to play CLE the next 3 weeks (vs MIA, PIT, CIN) and then the 49ers weeks 15 & 16 (if I make it that far) vs ATL & LAR.

2 hours ago, shadyridr said:

So right now I am rostering CLE & SF. My plan is to play CLE the next 3 weeks (vs MIA, PIT, CIN) and then the 49ers weeks 15 & 16 (if I make it that far) vs ATL & LAR.

Wish I had room for 2 but I don’t 

I may look at teams without similar projections to San Fran, but a plus matchup next week since I need to win the next two games to get a playoff spot and my matchup this week is much easier.

Greenbay versus San Fran and then NYG next week seems like a nice preemptive pickup 

I actually see the Jets were just dropped as well and while their matchup this week isn’t great it gets good the next 2-3

6 hours ago, Team Smokin' said:

I'm riding the wave...

I dropped the Rams and picked up the Ravens.  Not as much for this week but for the playoffs.  I could also have had the Falcons, who I like the best for this week, or Browns and Titans were also available and possible.

A high scoring offense puts pressure on the other team to keep up, which creates opportunities for sacks and picks, so that's a point in their favor.  Also their cornerbacks are probably the best in the league as a group, making passing tough.  Their run defense is good but not fantastic, which makes it scary to face Gurley this week if he really is finally healthy.  But I didn't want to miss out on the Ravens playoff schedule.  I don't expect any booms this week against LA or next week against SF, but after that they could be a week winner (I hope).

• Like 1

Lions have had a horrible defense this year but have a really good matchup this week vs. a rookie qb.

Been using and holding the Rams for a few weeks now, but with BAL, ARI, SEA, DAL, SF on the upcoming schedule, are they safe to drop?

Without getting too much "my league"; the only viable option I'd look to swap them with would be CLE

18 minutes ago, 4th&inches said:

Been using and holding the Rams for a few weeks now, but with BAL, ARI, SEA, DAL, SF on the upcoming schedule, are they safe to drop?

Without getting too much "my league"; the only viable option I'd look to swap them with would be CLE

I'd be comfortable dropping the Rams, as their offense isn't potent enough to keep the D off the field and their opponents making risky play attempts.

Considering Cleveland gets Miami this week and Cincy after next week, I'd want in on that for those two games. But you'd need to find another team to carry for week 13 (or play them against Pittsburgh, which might not be a bad move actually).

28 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

I'd be comfortable dropping the Rams, as their offense isn't potent enough to keep the D off the field and their opponents making risky play attempts.

Considering Cleveland gets Miami this week and Cincy after next week, I'd want in on that for those two games. But you'd need to find another team to carry for week 13 (or play them against Pittsburgh, which might not be a bad move actually).

Cleveland doesnt seem so sexy with Garrett susp and another DL susp and Burnett IR'd. Even against the Browns. Fitz and Parker are clicking. No running game, but Ballage is unquestioned RB now, maybe he can relax and play better. 

I already clinched a playoff spot and was planning on going with the Browns, but with Garrett out and the injuries they have, I picked up the Giants.   Week 15 against Dolphins and week 16 @Redskins.   I figure Haskins is good for a few sacks and an int against anyone.   championship

rolling with detroit this week, in 2 leagues.  have philly and gb lined up for the next 3 weeks.  :shrug:   miami isn't an auto play for me anymore, with fitzmagic back, but philly's ROS is pretty sweet.  as is gb's.  

9 minutes ago, -fish- said:

I already clinched a playoff spot and was planning on going with the Browns, but with Garrett out and the injuries they have, I picked up the Giants.   Week 15 against Dolphins and week 16 @Redskins.   I figure Haskins is good for a few sacks and an int against anyone.   championship

I don't get this line of thinking. Even without Garrett Cleveland is a much better than that atrocious Giants defense. 

5 hours ago, VikingFrog said:

Wish I had room for 2 but I don’t 

I may look at teams without similar projections to San Fran, but a plus matchup next week since I need to win the next two games to get a playoff spot and my matchup this week is much easier.

Greenbay versus San Fran and then NYG next week seems like a nice preemptive pickup 

I actually see the Jets were just dropped as well and while their matchup this week isn’t great it gets good the next 2-3

I know I’m just talking to myself, but With the Niners hurting at many skill positions coming down to a GTD (Breida, Kittle, Sanders, Deebo) this night not be such a bad play to grab Green Bay for the next two weeks.

Just now, shadyridr said:

I wish GB was available. 

GB is available in my league.   Some dummy (me) dropped them for the Raiders D to use lay week.    GB is on my waiver pick up list.   Fingers crossed.  

3 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

GB is available in my league.   Some dummy (me) dropped them for the Raiders D to use lay week.    GB is on my waiver pick up list.   Fingers crossed.  

Good luck. It's hard to keep defenses on bye. No shame in that

2 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

I believe I’m dropping San Fran for them.

May sound crazy to some.

Any one starting the Patriots defense this week?  I'm leaning toward starting them but there are some defenses on the waiver wire with nice matchups.  Defenses have scored the 3rd least points against the Cowboys this season.  This is not going to be an easy decision.

7 minutes ago, Don Hutson said:

Any one starting the Patriots defense this week?  I'm leaning toward starting them but there are some defenses on the waiver wire with nice matchups.  Defenses have scored the 3rd least points against the Cowboys this season.  This is not going to be an easy decision.

I have them inside my top 10 so I would edge toward playing them.

20 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

deciding between GB and Browns....on Browns currently, but could be convinced otherwise.

9 minutes ago, unckeyherb said:

deciding between GB and Browns....on Browns currently, but could be convinced otherwise.

have been debating picking up the Browns as well, but the lack of pass rush with no Garrett puts more pressure on their DB's... and to my knowledge, they're not exactly stellar. Granted it's MIA, but they haven't actually been as terrible as they have to start the season. 

I could really use someone with more statistical analysis than I to talk me into CLE though...

Any thoughts on CHI (vs NYG) or BUF (vs DEN)?

Looking to make a decision on one of them now to make a pickup.

Feel like maybe CHI has more upside against a turnover prone D. Jones while maybe BUF/DEN is a low scoring, but low turnover slugfest. (Also, Miami has put up points on Buffalo twice. Also, BUF with a lousy matchup next week while CHI could be usable against DET.

On 11/20/2019 at 4:48 PM, 4th&inches said:

I am in the same boat and I dropped the Rams. Deciding between Titans, Raiders, and Falcons for this week. 

6 hours ago, Don Hutson said:

:hey:

Debating them or the Jets and leaning Patriots, which seems weird given DAL's offensive weapons and being a tough match up for any D - given up the least amount of fantasy points to Ds this year per Yahoo's reckoning.

Jets aren't world-beaters but are on the upswing, have the run D to limit the Raiders' biggest offensive threat, and while I love 'em and love what I'm seeing from them this year, this seems exactly like just the kind of game the Raiders would drop on the road.  

Edited by Stompin' Tom Connors
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Don Hutson said:

Yep, and expecting them to have a top 10 week, not as good as usual, but serviceable, and should be all I need.

• Like 1