What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (5 Viewers)

Here's some numbers to contemplate.  They are 2019 PF in the 2020 schedule.  Ex: Browns scored 335 in 2019.  Every place they occur in the 2020 schedule gets replaced by 335.  I did this for all teams and totaled the results to get a rudimentary SOS for 2020 team defense. 

TEAM 2019 PA
TEN 5914
MIA 5927
IND 5948
LAC 5961
CLE 5989
BUF 6031
PIT 6042
JAX 6063
NYJ 6074
BAL 6075
CIN 6099
LV 6102
DEN 6128
NE 6143
DET 6172
KC 6177
HOU 6213
DAL 6279
MIN 6318
NYG 6322
TB 6338
ARI 6340
WSH 6340
CHI 6341
CAR 6348
LAR 6364
GB 6374
PHI 6374
SF 6375
SEA 6403
NO 6467
ATL 6519

More refinements coming...

Here's the latest iteration, tiered and ranked...

Code:
tm	talent	sched	off season
PIT	+++		+	
LAC			+		+
TEN			++	
BUF			+		++
NYJ	+		
BAL	+				++

NE	+		
TB	++		
DEN	+		
KC	+		
CHI	++				-
MIA	- -		++		+++
IND			++	
CLE	-		+		+

SF	++		- -	
LAR	+		- -	
GB	+ 		- -		-
NO	+		- - -	
JAC	-		+		+
MIN			
DET					+
HOU					+
NYG	-				++
DAL	-				+
CIN	-				+
LV	-				+
ARI	-				++
SEA			- -		+
PHI			-	
WAS	- -		
ATL			- - -	
CAR	-		- -

Last edited by a moderator:
Colts are going to be the waiver pick up top 5 defense this year IMO.

Easy strength of schedule--which is a common denominator in breakout defenses (Bears two years ago, 49ers+Bills last year), and the Buckner addition is going to be huge

If they are off, I think the Redskins will be a diet version of them with how dominant their front 7 looks (most important factor for a fantasy defense), and the toughness and experience brought by proven minds like Rivera and Jack Del Rio.

If Haskins can simply not be terrible I think this is a sleeper team with an outside shot to be this year's dollar store 49ers and stumble their way into the playoffs in that awful division.

Wish they had taken Tua. I would be a lot more confident about them in that case

Jaguars DC Todd Wash said his unit is "not a true 3-4 or two-gap team."

"It's funny: everybody says we're going to a 3-4," Wash said. "You will see some different fronts, but we want to still continue to give teams a lot of multiple looks. Most importantly, we want to put the players on our roster in a position to be successful in any scheme that they fit." There's been some speculation this unit will move from a 4-3 defensive scheme to a 3-4 this upcoming year, but Wash clearly isn't having it. The organization added rookies C.J. Henderson and DE K’Lavon Chaisson, not to mention free agents Aaron Lynch and Cassius Marsh, but will move forward with the same defensive front it's leaned on the past two seasons.

SOURCE: Jaguars.com

Jun 17, 2020, 2:47 PM ET

Colts are going to be the waiver pick up top 5 defense this year IMO.

Easy strength of schedule--which is a common denominator in breakout defenses (Bears two years ago, 49ers+Bills last year), and the Buckner addition is going to be huge

If they are off, I think the Redskins will be a diet version of them with how dominant their front 7 looks (most important factor for a fantasy defense), and the toughness and experience brought by proven minds like Rivera and Jack Del Rio.

If Haskins can simply not be terrible I think this is a sleeper team with an outside shot to be this year's dollar store 49ers and stumble their way into the playoffs in that awful division.

Wish they had taken Tua. I would be a lot more confident about them in that case
Wha?  No, they did the right thing.  The Dolphins needed Tua more.  ;)

Wha?  No, they did the right thing.  The Dolphins needed Tua more.  ;)
And now that I think about it: the Redskins D wouldn't as formidable without Chase Young. I guess they can still get their QB next year--or Haskins can improve. That's still an option I guess

The Texans' defense ranked last in the league in 2019 in the redzone, allowing a touchdown to be scored on 71.4% of opposing drives entering that area of the field.

Only 6.1% of opposing drives that ended in the redzone resulted in no points during the Texans' season. This likely was a main decision in promoting Anthony Weaver to defensive coordinator, as his defensive line unit has arguably been the team's best defensive group for multiple seasons. Above all, the personnel has to be stable - J.J. Watt missing half the season, picking up corners mid-week who immediately start on Sunday, etc. Perhaps the defensive selections of DT Ross Blacklock, CB John Reid and EDGE Jonathan Greenard in rounds 2-4 can stabilize the unit.

SOURCE: The Houston Chronicle

Jun 22, 2020, 10:13 AM ET

I added the Colts D to the end of my dynasty team for the off-season (with Ravens as my #1 D).  Not sure if they survive the trim from 28 players to 24 if/when the regular season starts, but it looks like they are building a very nice defensive roster, and if the offense can do a good job with time of possession I'd expect them to finish top 10.

Thanks, @Faust!  Any editorial comment? :)  
I don’t follow OC and DC traits and trends very closely, so I will borrow from the article on some DC changes that interest me.

I am intrigued by the hiring of Joe Woods with the Browns:

The Browns' secondary will be most affected by Woods because ... : of the experience he brings. Woods' 49ers defense last season topped the NFL in fewest yards allowed per passing attempt (5.92).
Anthony Weaver With the Texans:

The defense as a whole will be most affected by Weaver because ... : of his attention to detail. Weaver focuses on technique, and that has helped several defensive linemen whom he has coached, including nose tackle D.J. Reader.

Four words that describe Weaver: Teacher of the game
Mike Nolan in Dallas:

The pass rush will be most affected by Nolan because ... :takeaways matter most in the NFL. When you don't have players who have a knack for taking the ball away, you have to create opportunities by attacking quarterbacks. Nolan has shown a willingness to be aggressive and creative in other spots, which has allowed his defenses to take the ball away certainly more than Dallas has in recent years.

Four words that describe Nolan: Scheme-diverse, aggressive, experienced, intense
Jack Del Rio In Washington:

The Redskins' defense will be most affected by Del Rio because ... : it will be switching to a 4-3 base scheme after a decade in a 3-4. Also, Del Rio made it clear that the communication issues of the past few years made the Redskins difficult to watch and that must change.

Four words that describe Del Rio: Intense, demanding, experienced, relatable
*Adam Zimmer and *Andre Patterson, co-defensive coordinators (Vikings):

The Vikings' defensive line and linebacker Eric Kendricks will be most affected by Patterson and Adam Zimmer because ... :Minnesota generated the fifth-most sacks last season (tied with San Francisco) and has always been one of the better D-lines in the NFL. With Patterson as co-coordinator, this unit will continue to be the bread and butter of the defense. Kendricks, meanwhile, led the league with 12 passes defended last season. He took his coverage skills to another level, and having Zimmer, who has been his position coach for the past five seasons, as his co-defensive coordinator will continue to elevate his game.

Four words that describe Adam Zimmer: Skillful, reserved, receptive, resourceful

Four words that describe Patterson: Respected, disciplined, distinguished, patient
*Raheem Morris In Atlanta (notable after his work with the secondary in the second half of last year):

The Falcons' secondary will be most affected by Morris because ... : a lot of Morris' background is tied to the secondary, and he was moved from wide receivers coach last season to work with the defensive backs, and it made a significant difference in the second half of the season. The fact Morris worked on both sides of the ball allows him to give the defensive backs a perspective of exactly what to expect from a wide receiver. Morris is big on fundamentals and technique, and that's crucial with the development of young corners such as Isaiah Oliver and Kendall Sheffield. Morris should help elevate the play of the defensive line while calling the defense.

Four words that describe Morris: Hands-on, detailed, master motivator
Brandon Staley (Rams):

The Rams' defense will be most affected by Staley because ... :he will have big shoes to fill following the departure of Wade Phillips, and he will have much to prove in his first gig as an NFL defensive coordinator.

Four words that describe Staley: Fangio protégé, newcomer, youthful

Appreciate it! I'm always esp.  interested in former head coaches, who seem to be the ones that make for quickly improved fantasy DSTs (liked the Phillips example).
One update to the article is that Titans didn't hire a replacement DC, but did add Jim Haslett for inside linebackers, so he may have a bigger role.

Users who are viewing this thread