What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (3 Viewers)

Was thinking about switching CLE with the Chargers D off the WW, but saw that Garrett is going against Rookie tackle Kolton Miller (CLE @ OAK).  Seeing this and CLE's trend the last few weeks, I'm going to go with CLE.  I think they're being under-rated still and people are viewing last week as a 1 week wonder.  Over the season, CLE DEF has averaged 13ppg, with 11pts being the lowest.  They are averaging 2 turnovers/game and with the matchup above, I'd be shocked if Garret and Ogun aren't in the backfield all afternoon.  

Chargers are projected to have 12pts in my league.  CLE projected with 8pts.  CLE has been averaging more than their projection vs stronger offenses (NO/PIT), while Chargers have only been in double digit pts once in 3 weeks (avg about 4ppg).  I get that SF is a dumpster fire now, but aside from holding them to 0 pts and few yardage, will they be able to add to it with turnovers or sacks?

Man, I want to believe that with Baltimore but I just don't see it. Even worse, I'm having a real hard time seeing any great defenses or who the true marks are (bad teams) to play against. I've never gone this far into the season and STILL have been so uncertain. Oye vey.
I kept the Bears for this week vs. TB and dropped Balt for Ridley because I think that whether it is Fitz still or Winston getting re-acclimated, the turnovers can definitely be had.  We don't get any scoring points once the opponent is over 14 and yardage points are also hard to come by, so it's pretty much all turnovers, sacks and TDs.

I'm just not feeling it with Baltimore overall.  I know they are well regarded, but haven't been too good since the first week.  They do have CLE and TEN the next 2 weeks after this, so those are plus matchups.  I will be looking to get them back if they slide through.

Are Bears owners sticking or streaming this week vs TB? I also have Cinci but they're @ATL. Could pick up someone else, but I'm thinking Chicago could be OK. First of all, Fitz could implode any time. Second, even if he goes four-large again, it doesn't mean there won't be sacks and TOs.

I'm having a real hard time seeing any great defenses or who the true marks are (bad teams) to play against. I've never gone this far into the season and STILL have been so uncertain. Oye vey.
Best defenses scoring wise have been Chicago and LAR, which tracks with what we've seen on the field (though Rams CB injuries are worrisome). Jax hasn't put up big points so far, but they look good.

Beyond that, who's a reliable weekly starter? LAC/Minn have really disappointed so far, though they still have the talent, especially once LA gets Bosa back. NYJ have put up good numbers, but that's mostly because of Week 1 vs Detroit, which feels a little fluky. Carolina seems solid but unspectacular. Cleveland is the only one that seems positioned to make the leap, provided the offense doesn't hold them back.

No idea how this compares to similar points in previous years, but yeah, it does seem like there aren't a lot of reliable options.

Anyone actually considering DROPPING the CHI D?

Would love to hang on to them all season and fill gaps with streamers, but I need to pick up a damn kicker and I literally have nobody else to drop.

Also, the upcoming schedule isn't that great:

* TB: Could get turnovers, but I think TB will put up points and yards. Streamers could be a better bet. Right now I'm starting SD D vs SF.

* Bye week

* @MIA: Not terrible, but not great. Miami playing well.

* NE: Think by this point, NE has their act together with Edelman back and Gordon making an impact.

Torn. CHI D has treated me well through 3 weeks.

Drafted Chargers and traded for Rams after week 1 and I didn't think I would ever pull them from my lineup.  But tonight scares me.  I think the Vikes can play spread O and work all the Rams backup corners.  I'm leaning towards Chargers again for this week vs. a rudderless 49ers squad.  Suppose its better to have 2 good options than none at all...

Sticking with Chicago.  They look like one of the few decent defenses in the league.  I will hold 2 def for one week next week to keep them

I’m rostering both the Bears and the Chargers. Leaning Chargers this week and then sticking with them next week against the Raiders. Then it will be decision time in week 6.

Was thinking about switching CLE with the Chargers D off the WW, but saw that Garrett is going against Rookie tackle Kolton Miller (CLE @ OAK).  Seeing this and CLE's trend the last few weeks, I'm going to go with CLE.  I think they're being under-rated still and people are viewing last week as a 1 week wonder.  Over the season, CLE DEF has averaged 13ppg, with 11pts being the lowest.  They are averaging 2 turnovers/game and with the matchup above, I'd be shocked if Garret and Ogun aren't in the backfield all afternoon.  

Chargers are projected to have 12pts in my league.  CLE projected with 8pts.  CLE has been averaging more than their projection vs stronger offenses (NO/PIT), while Chargers have only been in double digit pts once in 3 weeks (avg about 4ppg).  I get that SF is a dumpster fire now, but aside from holding them to 0 pts and few yardage, will they be able to add to it with turnovers or sacks?
Have CLE slated in again... having a hard time wrapping around that it's CLE we are talking about lol and I keep looking at higher "ranked" D/ST's all day long. Hoping to stand pat on CLE, Another league picked up LAC off of waivers, then finally have JAX in another league.

But, it is CLE that is the wild card play again...

Picked up CLE, had to drop Panthers on their bye.  I have a feeling this whole team rallies around Baker and their D was already impressing.  OAK isn’t scary even on the road.  I’m not biased at all on my Baker Mayfield (sarcasm).  High hopes for the Browns going forward!!

I can’t imagine dropping the Bears even if it means holding 2 defenses in certain matchups. They’ve been so good. I’m not afraid of the Tampa matchup or on the road at Miami. You stream a defense for the bye and for the Pats game if you want and then after that you have Jets at home, Bills, and then Lions and Vikes at home. I want them in my lineup for that stretch for sure.

I've got the number 1 waiver claim, which is a position I like to hold until I know I'm getting my value for it. With that, the Bears were dropped, and as much as I like holding that spot for a RB when someone gets hurt, IDK if I can risk not putting in a claim for them as I'm streaming week by week right now.

Keep waffling on CHI D vs. LAC but now it looks like Prince A. is out this week which helps out Fitzy and on the flip side, M. Breida is a game time decision while A. Morris is questionable.

Getting harder to sit LAC vs SF.

I've got the number 1 waiver claim, which is a position I like to hold until I know I'm getting my value for it. With that, the Bears were dropped, and as much as I like holding that spot for a RB when someone gets hurt, IDK if I can risk not putting in a claim for them as I'm streaming week by week right now.
If it were me, and I didnt have a glaring need or potential concerns elswhere, I'd probably nab them. They seem to be legit...getting an additional 6-7 points than other defenses weekly (at least in my league so far).

No way I drop CHI defense.  I think on tough matchups they will be "ok".  On good matchups they can be a weekly difference maker.  At some point I'll have to own 2 Ds (bye week for example) but I'm keeping Chi.

Arizona’s not a bad option to stream this week. High floor/low ceiling.  Also have SF away next week so worth seeing how it goes.

I think Chicago is a better option in most situations this week though.

I’m not dripping Chicago for anything all season way they’re looking.  I joked at my draft after everyone had gotten DSTs and mine stunk that the best one all season is usually on waivers anyway.  I was right and it’s Chicago.

Well I guess the Chargers are just trash without Bosa.  To think I was patting myself on the back for benching the Rams...

Just looked at BAL schedule, brutal rest of the way with KC on the road week 1 playoffs.......anyone else dropping them this week? Any middling defenses that could be good pickups like GB, KC?
Yep I dropped them for GB last week! Was gonna pick them back up this week and while they have a solid matchup vs CLE, after this they don't have a single gimme. They haven't even been a good fantasy defense. I don't think I'll bother.

Yep I dropped them for GB last week! Was gonna pick them back up this week and while they have a solid matchup vs CLE, after this they don't have a single gimme. They haven't even been a good fantasy defense. I don't think I'll bother.
Two weeks in a row they had defensive touchdowns called back on penalties. 

Yeah, I picked up GB two weeks ago just for the Buffalo game. But might ride them for two/three more until their bye. 
I have to choose between Green Bay, Carolina, and Denver this week.  Likely going Denver. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I got lucky w NE this week. Debating holding or grabbing Carolina off bye. 

Going with CAR this week.  Last couple of weeks have felt like a crapshoot.  I'm done over-analyzing this stuff.  Finding a matchup I like and plugging them into the lineup.

I'm always surprised to see that Tremblay / Dodds have a ton of waiver wire D's ranked high on this list. Lots to choose from this week:

1. TN @BUF -- Gotta be the number 1 option (although I could totally see a TN let down and be less than impressed with results).

2. CAR vs NYG -- Off a bye, Eli always good for a couple turnovers. Unimpressive vs NO shaky D. Does have weapons though.

3. CINC vs MIA -- Cinci getting Burfdick back. That's gonna help. Miami as usual a bunch of imposters and now going on the road.

4. NYJ vs DEN -- Thoroughly unimpressed with the DEN offense. They wont be able to run against Jets front like that and Keenum looks beyond mediocre.

5. SF vs AZ -- Am I seeing this right? Tremblay has them as #1 option this week. AZ has been terrible, but I think Rosen makes them competent. 

6. BUF vs TN -- For the desperate. Wouldn't surprise me to see BUF aggressive D cause some problems. This game could be a 13-10 mess.

Curious if anyone would rank these D's differently? 

I'm currently stuck with LAC. Have to drop them for one of the above.

I'm always surprised to see that Tremblay / Dodds have a ton of waiver wire D's ranked high on this list. Lots to choose from this week:

1. TN @BUF -- Gotta be the number 1 option (although I could totally see a TN let down and be less than impressed with results).

2. CAR vs NYG -- Off a bye, Eli always good for a couple turnovers. Unimpressive vs NO shaky D. Does have weapons though.

3. CINC vs MIA -- Cinci getting Burfdick back. That's gonna help. Miami as usual a bunch of imposters and now going on the road.

4. NYJ vs DEN -- Thoroughly unimpressed with the DEN offense. They wont be able to run against Jets front like that and Keenum looks beyond mediocre.

5. SF vs AZ -- Am I seeing this right? Tremblay has them as #1 option this week. AZ has been terrible, but I think Rosen makes them competent. 

6. BUF vs TN -- For the desperate. Wouldn't surprise me to see BUF aggressive D cause some problems. This game could be a 13-10 mess.

Curious if anyone would rank these D's differently? 

I'm currently stuck with LAC. Have to drop them for one of the above.
If you just need someone for this week, Tenn. But if you want to ride a D for longer, then Carolina. They've been solid all year (except when they played Atlanta) and have a pretty good schedule the rest of the way.

Defenses suck so far this year. I had Houston. Did nothing for 3 weeks. Dropped them For Seattle because they played

Arizona. That didn't work. Can't trust the 49'ers. Not sure if I should go back to Houston or try another team.

I've narrowed it down to  @Cin vs Mia, @NyJ vs Den, @Cle vs Bal, or Den @NyJ

Cincy has been torched the last two weeks.

Cleveland has been getting sacks and turnovers in each game but got smoked in Oakland.

Leaning with the Jets. Denver coming across the country on a short week.

Denver playing against the Jets terrible offense.     <<<<Tried this with Seattle vs terrible Arizona and it got me a whopping 3 points.

I feel like I'm playing the lottery each week. No clue what defense is going to show up.

If you just need someone for this week, Tenn. But if you want to ride a D for longer, then Carolina. They've been solid all year (except when they played Atlanta) and have a pretty good schedule the rest of the way.
Have CHI on bye so I need a one week rental.

TN a no brainer but I bet I don't get them being 11th in line. Hoping for CAR or CINCI. 

zftcg said:
I think I'm gonna ride Carolina and Green Bay the rest of the way. 

zftcg said:
Where would you put Baltimore and Texans in this list?

elshagon said:
Anyone feel Arizona is the better play than going with San Francisco?
I am rolling with Arizona on the Bears bye week.  This is gonna be a low scoring defensive battle and they’ve just got the better talent.

Ill reconsider if their starting D tackles are out this since SF will try to establisj the running game.

Where would you put Baltimore and Texans in this list?
I view Baltimore as similar to Carolina: Good, solid D that I will feel comfortable rolling out in most match-ups.

Not sure what to make of the Texans. They have talent, but haven't really seemed to put it together yet this year. My main worry is that they're not a very good team and will likely be trailing in a lot of games. One encouraging sign: they have four sacks in two straight games as Watt appears to be rounding into form.

Outside on Ten: This is a pretty iffy week for stream DSTs.

On a side note the Eagles have been disappointing. I’m curious if anyone sees any holds out there in terms of emerging surprise D’s that might be on the wire. I’d like to think the Texans might come back as a team as a whole after a weak start, there’s no reason any of the AFCS should be out of it this early. 

Bengals at home vs MIA, and they get Burfict back this week, who should be a real difference maker. MIA scores what, 12-Ish per game? 

CAR at home is the jackpot start, well rested off the BYE against a leaky NYG OL. I’m thinking they force a couple Ints, get 3-4 sacks and hold the Giants under 16.  :shrug:

Ended up with Houston, not crazy about this week but love the Bills bonus
They probably match-up well vs. DAL, their secondary is trash but I doubt Prescott can really exploit it. They're better at stopping the run and Zeke is dinged up. Plus DAL has been bad on the road and Watt has looks almost all the way back. 

Users who are viewing this thread