Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

2020 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread

9 hours ago, Don Hutson said:

Is anyone planning on keeping the Patriots the whole season?  I hate to cut such a well producing defense.  But their second half schedule is difficult.  Though Week 15 at Bengals is a very nice playoff matchup.  And Week 16 vs the Bills is nice, too.  Here is the Patriots' end of year schedule:

8 vs Browns

9 at Ravens

10 Bye          

11 at Eagles

12 vs Cowboys

13 at Texans

14 vs Chiefs

15 at Bengals

16 vs Bills

i drafted the Pats specifically for the 1st half and then figured that I would decide later what to do.  I have been strongly considering the Jets and if I can maintain my position in the standings, will probably hope they are still there in a couple weeks (or someone else that looks good) and hold 2 defenses.

I think that they are really locked in and I don't know that the Browns or Ravens concern me that much against the Pats.  I think that Belichick can figure out how to confuse the young QBs.  So it's really about that stretch from 10-14.  I still probably wouldn't be opposed to just rolling with them throughout, as the secondary seems pretty nasty and they look fantastic overall, aside from the competition.

• Like 1

So I NEVER carry 2 defenses and almost always play matchups...but I noticed how well the schedule lines up for the NYJ/NYG   line up for the rest of the year and decided to  waste a roster spot for the combo.   Here is the combined schedule:

week 5  NYG vs Minn... #17 vs defenses

week6 NYG vs New England #18 vs d's

week7 NYG vs Az  #26 

week 8  NYG vs Det #21

and here is where the real fun begins!!!

week 9  NYJ vs Miami #32

week 10  NYG vs NYJ #31

week 11  NYJ vs washington # 29

week 12  NYG vs Chicago #22

week 13  NYJ vs Cinn #27

weeks 14-16 are our playoff weeks.

week 14  NYJ vs Miami #32

week 15  NYG vs Miami #32

week 16 NYG vs Wash #29..

week 17 we do a pro bowl so for that week I have

NYJ vs Buffalo #28

Edited by da_budman

9 hours ago, Kevrunner said:

Is it worth stashing the Jets defense?  They have:

Week 9 - Dolphins

Week 10  - Giants

Week 11 -  Redskins

Week 12 - Raiders

Week 13 - Bengals

Week 14 - Dolphins

I have been asking this -- in here, in the Jets team thread, everywhere - as well.

Match ups look juicy, problem is whether the offense - even with Darnold back -- can keep the D off the field and relatively fresh.

Another issue I see is that there seems to be way more attention on them as a possible league-winner starting up this week in the FF zeitgeist, and I think if you want to secure them for that schedule, you may need to act earlier and be able to hold them until that schedule starts up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

I have been asking this -- in here, in the Jets team thread, everywhere - as well.

Match ups look juicy, problem is whether the offense - even with Darnold back -- can keep the D off the field and relatively fresh.

Another issue I see is that there seems to be way more attention on them as a possible league-winner starting up this week in the FF zeitgeist, and I think if you want to secure them for that schedule, you may need to act earlier and be able to hold them until that schedule starts up.

They've scored well so far without Darnold as the QB.  Plus, they have played NE and Cleveland for two of those games so it's not as if they have played weak offenses.  I picked them up to hold once they get into the easier schedule.  I am optimistic as Darnold returns.  Plus I love the week 14 matchup vs Miami during my first week of the playoffs. 

11 hours ago, skillz said:

They've scored well so far without Darnold as the QB.  Plus, they have played NE and Cleveland for two of those games so it's not as if they have played weak offenses.  I picked them up to hold once they get into the easier schedule.  I am optimistic as Darnold returns.  Plus I love the week 14 matchup vs Miami during my first week of the playoffs. 

NYG for weeks 15 and 16....Miami and washington.  

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 3:48 PM, Long Ball Larry said:

i thought there was talk of Darnold being back this week?  also not sure I would trust the Eagles at this point with their billions of injuries.

Counterpoint: never listen to me

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

On 10/6/2019 at 4:03 PM, Long Ball Larry said:

Counterpoint: never listen to me

"you juicin', Larry ?"

Was going with Dallas with Falk starting, but with Darnold back and being on the road for Dallas, I think i want Seattle over them now.

Starting Washington or Miami may be a shark move, but I'm not ever gonna chance fantasy on a team that tanking and there are two there. 

Chargers against Pitt if Rudolph dont play might be a nice play. 

44 minutes ago, steelwind said:

No slam dunks this week.  I'm looking at:

Wash @ Miami

Miami vs Wash

god, could  this be the worst game in the NFL in a while?

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Planned on doing Waiver Wire Def's this year but seems everyone in my league has the same idea :lol: . Didn't really want to burn waiver $$ each week chasing good matchups so gave up on it after Week 4. Decided to grab what I believe are two top 5 defensive units with SF (dropped at their bye) and Pack (dropped after Eagles game). Doesn't hurt they're both pretty decent offenses too. There really isn't a bad matchup week for the combo the rest of the way.

Week 6: GB vs. Det

Week 7: GB vs. Oak   (or SF at Washington)

Week 8: SF vs. Panthers

Week 9: 49ers at Cardinals

Week 10: GB vs. Panthers (or SF vs. Seahawks)

Week 11: SF vs. Cardinals      (Pack BYE)

Week 12: SF vs. GB (Play each other)

Week 13: GB @ NYG (or SF @ Balt....Balt is increasingly becoming a must-start for opposing defenses)

Week 14: GB vs. Wash

Week 15: GB vs. Bears (or SF vs. Atl)

Week 16: SF vs. LAR    (This is probably the lone week I have a question who to start. Pack are AT Vikings. And it'll be the week WHEN I'm playing for the championship and will have a lot more matchup choices at not having to compete with everyone else)

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
  • Like 1

Dropped tn for san fran.  That def looks for real

• Like 1

1 hour ago, need2know said:

Dropped tn for san fran.  That def looks for real

Dropped Jacksonville for them...should have trusted them and did it last week but it didn't come back to bite me in the ###.

Seem like an every week play now...just have to determine to risk vs Seattle and NO (with Brees likely back)...GB and Balt too but GB you can usually at least count on a few sacks.

SF still on my wire.  No one believes.  I have Tenn and Buff so would have to run with Tenn this week in a decent matchup.  I'd put it on par with SF at LA, if not a little better.  ROS Buff is set up nicely.

23 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Dropped Jacksonville for them...should have trusted them and did it last week but it didn't come back to bite me in the ###.

Seem like an every week play now...just have to determine to risk vs Seattle and NO (with Brees likely back)...GB and Balt too but GB you can usually at least count on a few sacks.

I'm going to play them from here on out.  Even against the rams.   If they burn me a couple times I will rethink but that's my plan for now

• Like 1

sf i still on my wire too but i picked up dal for this week...hopefully they make it one more week

19 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Browns and Bengals have played each other twice a year for the last 50+ years, so no.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Have Tenn for this week but SF was sitting there so I added them for next week vs Wash and beyond.

37 minutes ago, Insein said:

Browns and Bengals have played each other twice a year for the last 50+ years, so no.

eh, a lot of those years at least one of them was decent.

20 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

When a road 0-5 team is a 3.5 point favorite,  magic 8 ball says "It is decidedly so".

• Like 2

Im having a hard time choosing between Dallas and Carolina. Darnold is back and Dallas defense has been shaky but will Darnold be rusty and the Jets oline still sucks. Meanwhile Winston is still a turnover machine, Panthers among leaders in sacks, and TB down two offensive linemen. 

One to look out for is if anyone drops the Bills on bye this week. After the bye ..

MIA, PHI, WASH, @CLE, @MIA 

that’s pretty good. Someone in one of my leagues just dropped them, think I’ll pick up and stash 

• Like 1

Rode the Eagles to a win last week, now thinking of dumping them for Dallas or Tennessee, who are both on the waiver wire.

The Redskins are there too but I wouldn't trust that mess. 

6 hours ago, Insein said:

Have Tenn for this week but SF was sitting there so I added them for next week vs Wash and beyond.

You and me both! :hifive:

Looking at it again I probably should've swapped Tenn for the Chargers, likely against a 3rd string QB. That said, I've largely decided I want teams that are good real-life defenses as long as they don't have a horrible matchup.

• Like 1

SF on my wire too and I like them for the long haul as they are legit.

But I like the Jets' match ups over the long haul even better, and they are healing up.

Might be a gamble as often it's better to take a known quantity (a really stout and consistent SF D) over the promise on paper (Jets D has some great pieces to it), but the match ups look so much better for the Jets.

Paired NE with Jets to see how Gang Green heals, then wheels and deals on the field. If they get back to the level I suspect, they seem to be a solid hold. 

Have a few weeks before NE's bye to see how it plays out.

Is Ramsey ever coming back? I stuck with Jax but debating about keeping them or picking Denver instead. Jacksonville has a pretty good schedule for the next few weeks and my options are not great other than Denver and only for this week

56 minutes ago, JoeyJoJoJuniorShabadoo said:

Is Ramsey ever coming back? I stuck with Jax but debating about keeping them or picking Denver instead. Jacksonville has a pretty good schedule for the next few weeks and my options are not great other than Denver and only for this week

Rolling Baltimore this week, but have Jags in mind for the next 2 weeks.

On 10/9/2019 at 11:00 AM, [scooter] said:

Rode the Eagles to a win last week, now thinking of dumping them for Dallas or Tennessee, who are both on the waiver wire.

The Redskins are there too but I wouldn't trust that mess. 

Dropped Eagles picked up Dallas this week

Dropped Minnesota picked up Dallas this week

Chicago on bye gotta hold two in one league for one week

• Like 1

I've now gone from streaming to having San Fran and Buffalo in one league. I'm doing what I almost never do, and carrying two over lottery tickets. Thing is, they don't match-up that well all the time, even if you alternate them against opponents. Tough weeks are all the same. 

Edited by rockaction

I'm no longer considering picking up the Jets' defense to pair with the Patriots' defense.  The only weeks I won't start the Patriots is their week 10 bye and possibly week 14 against the Chiefs.  The Jets play the Giants week 10.  That matchup looked better for the Jets' defense a few weeks ago.  The Colts play the Dolphins in week 10.  The Redskins unfortunately have a week 10 bye.  I'll look to pick up the Colts' defense before week 9.  I'll will consider picking up the Jets defense after week 10 since they play the Dolphins in week 14.

14 hours ago, bostonfred said:

A lot of people talking about the second half schedule for the Patriots and the chiefs game week 14. Recommend reading this article from Bucky Brooks that covers both topics. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001064540/article/patriots-defensive-dominance-explained-early-mvp-frontrunner

Interesting read, thanks. Maybe I'm more sick of the Brady/BB/Pats continual buffing in the media, but not sure the schemes are so revolutionary for playing heavy man. Was the hallmark of Raiders CB coverage for years. What the article does get more right is the versatility of all these players who are above average, even rotational guys, at all 3 levels of the D. I also credit that, having two shutdown corners, they play to that strength and set up a run-funnel D -- playing perfectly into BB's 3-4 scheme.

2 hours ago, Don Hutson said:

I'm no longer considering picking up the Jets' defense to pair with the Patriots' defense.  The only weeks I won't start the Patriots is their week 10 bye and possibly week 14 against the Chiefs.  The Jets play the Giants week 10.  That matchup looked better for the Jets' defense a few weeks ago.  The Colts play the Dolphins in week 10.  The Redskins unfortunately have a week 10 bye.  I'll look to pick up the Colts' defense before week 9.  I'll will consider picking up the Jets defense after week 10 since they play the Dolphins in week 14.

Hard disagree. While I do think you are right, it's hard to sit NE right now for any opponent, there is no way that the Jets match ups in weeks 9 through 14 are decidedly much easier and less risky than NE's in that same stretch

NE         NYJ

Week 9    @Bal     @Mia

Week 10  BYE       NYG

Week 11  @Phi    @Was

Week 12   Dal       Oak

Week 13  @Hou   @Cin

Week 14   KC        Mia

Edited by Stompin' Tom Connors
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Faust said:

No you shouldn't if you are pairing them with the Jets or another D with an equally tasty complimentary schedule. Ds are notoriously hard to involve in trades, especially the Pats now that they face their tough stretch.

I'm holding. Pats late season/playoff schedule still looks nice. 

See lots of Jets talk in here and to @Stompin' Tom Connors point I may jump on them a week early to cover Pitt's bye even though they have the Patriots.  I may wait as the Giants are available and have Ari at home this week but I think the NYJ hype is real and the PIT/NYJ combo looks strong.  After this week it's a pretty tempting streaming schedule through week 14.

Mia, @Mia, NYG, @Was, @Cin, @Cin, Mia

Week 15 is a choice between @Bal & Buf

Week 16 they play each other in NY.

SF is now my hold...Pitt is another available in places. And their schedule looks great and they have been putting up points lately

• Like 1