What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (2 Viewers)

I’m leaning Niners over Saints as well in the only league where I’m not set on defense. They looked pretty solid as others have said.

Chiefs looked great, but chargers didn’t give me a glimpse of anything. Understand there best player was out, but hard to not look elsewhere after that.
Bosa potentially being out for multiple weeks definitely hurts but they are solid elsewhere, and they are up against the Bills this coming week.

Solid hold for at least 1 more week in my book, and if you can afford to carry 2 Ds, now might be the time to leap on a D like CHI.

Any place to find a list of Ds as ranked after game 1?  I got Tex and PIT but am sorely tempted to grab the Bears off waivers for an every week D.  I think they are real.

Bears are definitely for real. Pick them up NOW.  Mack by himself added like 8 fantasy points last week, but even apart from big plays he was collapsing the pocket regularly and hurrying Rogers.  Guy is insane.

If there’s a weakness it’s that offensive troubles could put the D in poor field position more often than you’d like but if there’s going to be an elite D this year that started the season off waivers (and every year there usually is) it’s the 2018 Bears DST.

I like the way GB’s DST lines up with the Bears bye week and harder opponents through week 6ish so I’m rostering them as well right now.

If the Bears were gone I was going to take the Jets next.  Maybe it was just the Lions dumpster fire of a game but the Jets D looked elite.  If anybody wants to know how to tackle well with the new safety rules watch every defensive series by he Jets from that game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tempering my enthusiasm for Jets going forward after seeing this from Joe's notes

Source: ESPNNewYork.com - Rich Cimini

New York Jets LB Darron Lee said Tuesday, Sept. 11, that the defense decoded the signals of Detroit Lions QB Matthew Stafford and knew what plays were coming, helping lead to five total interceptions (four off Stafford) in a 48-17 road win Monday, Sept. 10. 'We were calling out their plays as he was getting up to the line,' Lee said. 'We knew his signals. We knew everything. That's just preparation as a defense. ... It seemed like we were in his head as a defense.'

Pretty happy I could get the Bears to pair with the Chargers this morning. We have deep benches so I can probably hold both if need be. Hoping one of these can turn into every week starters though.

Bears are certainly looking solid with Mack.

Sticking with Panthers in one league. I think their Week 1 performance was more about Dallas' ineptitude, but it's not like Atlanta is a super scary match-up at this point.

In my other league, rolling with the Bears. Only question is whether it's worth holding on to Cinci. I am largely because I don't really need the roster spot yet. Longer term I don't see myself holding two DSTs until I'm past the bye weeks. On the other hand, Bears have an early bye and they look like a decent pairing over the next few weeks

• Week 2: Bears vs SEA/Cinci vs. Bal
  • Week 3: Bears @ AZ/ Cinci @ Car
  • Week 4: Bears vs TB/Cinci @ Atl (decision TBD)
  • Week 5: Bears bye/Cinci vs MIA

How do you guys feel about the Steelers D/ST this week and rest of season? Even though they let the browns put up 21 points,  they still had 7 sacks, an interception, and a very crucial blocked field goal

need2know said:
Anyone sticking with saints?
Had been planning on riding Panthers, but Saints got dropped and I'm tempted. They can't be that bad again, right? Also, Tyrod doesn't throw INTs but he does hold the ball too long and take sacks.

I’m leaning Niners over Saints as well in the only league where I’m not set on defense. They looked pretty solid as others have said.
FBG rankings don’t really love the niners.

Not sure what I’m missing so I usually check the spread.

SF -7 at home with an O/U of 48. That O/U is a bit high and means could be plenty of scoring on either side.

Yeah I don’t love it. Implied score of 27.5-20.5. I dropped my kicker (thanks Prater) to hold the Saints along with them so I can maximize my decision making agony before choosing the wrong one. The wire is pretty bare in this league for some reason.

Yeah I don’t love it. Implied score of 27.5-20.5. I dropped my kicker (thanks Prater) to hold the Saints along with them so I can maximize my decision making agony before choosing the wrong one. The wire is pretty bare in this league for some reason.
I may swing to New York Jets or Washington.

Surpsingly the highest rated FBG ranked defense available to me is Atlanta. But the game worries me. Can’t believe they are 7 point favorites.

Here’s where I’m at:

im sitting Jax D vs Brady.  I think Brady has the quick release and the weapons to nullify their pass rush, and just look at how he carved them up in the afc championship game.  There is theory and data to show that Jax D should be benched this week.  

NO got torched last week but there is theory and data to back them up as a start this week- they apparently start notoriously slow in defense each year.  Last year they started off by getting blown out in week one and then the defense showed up in week 2.  Same cast of characters.  Tyrod is a hot sleeper this week.  In fact, I had him as my starting qb this week, until I looked deeper - last year, the saints demolished him in buff.  They were the reason he was benched for peterman.  He was atrocious.  They knocked him around a lot.  Tyrod is NOT a quick release guy.  He likes to hold onto the ball too long and make a play. The saints have a good oss rush and fast defenders to keep up with him and limit his rushing. Combine that with him not yet gelling with all of his WRs, motnyet fully grasping haley’s Playbook, a pissed off saints defense playing at home, and the nervousness of mayfield waiting in the wings, and I’m all in on NO d this week.   

I am warming up to picking up the Bengals defense:

2018 opponent scouting report: Week 1, Bengals defense—these guys could be good.

Ravens vs. Bengals final score, takeaways: Andy Dalton and A.J. Green explode, Joe Flacco implodes

Excerpt:

3. Bengals' defensive line is filthy 

Again, don't just blame Flacco. He was under duress for much of the night.  

It needs to be said that the Bengals' defensive front is scary and among the best units in the AFC. Atkins, Lawson, and Dunlap all got after Flacco. Atkins finished with two sacks, Lawson had one quarterback hit, and Dunlap had one hit and three batted passes. The Bengals' defense missed out on several opportunities to bring down Flacco, but they did force that final fumble in addition to a third-quarter pick.

They should continue to torment opposing quarterbacks in the games and years to come.

As always, I waited till the second last round to take a defense.   Took Dallas, because they were there. In week one I picked up the Bengals and drop the Cowboys. Worked out great. This week I was able to claim the Panthers defense off waivers giving me a really nice 1-2 punch to play the matchups on a weekly basis. 

The combined schedule leads to some very nice weekly  starts. 

I may swing to New York Jets or Washington.

Surpsingly the highest rated FBG ranked defense available to me is Atlanta. But the game worries me. Can’t believe they are 7 point favorites.
Especially since the two guys they lost were the two defenders best equipped to handle McCaffrey out of the backfield

Especially since the two guys they lost were the two defenders best equipped to handle McCaffrey out of the backfield
Agreed. But they hate Carolina defense in that game from a ranking perspective and they are missing Freeman and Matt Ryan is throwing ducks. 

Im too scared to play them, seeing as Vegas seems to know something we don’t.

Agreed. But they hate Carolina defense in that game from a ranking perspective and they are missing Freeman and Matt Ryan is throwing ducks. 

I'm scared to play them too. Saints were on the WW and I dropped Carolina to pick them up. Still not sure I made the right decision, although the fact that Gordon was just ruled out is making me feel a little better.

Jets in home opener against Miami? 

Leaning towards Jets being for real. And Tannehill being a bum.
I don't love it, but I too am starting the Jets.  It's more of a bet against the Dolphins than a rousing endorsement of the Jets though.

What do you guys think about LAC at Buf?
Discounting the crutch argument about WC teams coming east, it should be a very favorable matchup. Peterman had only 2.41 seconds per attempt to get off his throws last week (4th worst) & they couldn’t run the ball. Allen is more mobile & has a big arm but IIRC he was indecisive in the preseason - didn’t he get sacked 5 times when he started in PS? - and that was against vanilla packages.

The Chargers D didn’t fair well v. the Chiefs playmakers & will be without Bosa again (he’s likely out until October.) But word is Nwosu will see snaps at both LB & DE, & with Ingram being double teamed this could be his coming out party. He was the Chargers best defender in PS.

The Bills don’t have the horses to keep up, this could get ugly IMO.

I started CAR. 

May regret it but I already benched Cinci on TNF.  15 on my bench hurts, but not that bad. 

Ryan’s RZ struggles along with Freeman missing the game & Keuchley practicing - I dunno why CAR would be ranked so low. 

I started CAR. 

May regret it but I already benched Cinci on TNF.  15 on my bench hurts, but not that bad. 

Ryan’s RZ struggles along with Freeman missing the game & Keuchley practicing - I dunno why CAR would be ranked so low. 
I think I’m sticking with San Fran, but Car is definitely enticing 

OK, so what are we looking at streaming for Week 3:

• Carolina vs. Cinci (with no Mixon)
  • Jets @ Cleveland (owned in my league, unfortunately)
  • Miami vs Oakland
  • Seattle vs Dallas (or maybe Dallas @ Seattle?)
Leaning Carolina, but not super excited about it. If Chicago is available, they're the obvious play.

• Miami vs Oakland
Leaning Carolina, but not super excited about it. If Chicago is available, they're the obvious play.
I like Cleveland's D this week at home against the Jets.  Two good outings this year against two top offences.  Now they get a rookie QB at home.

• Miami vs Oakland
Probably want to consider Bears week 3 as well. Playing at Arizona, but Cards have looked horrible on offense.

Probably want to consider Bears week 3 as well. Playing at Arizona, but Cards have looked horrible on offense.
Yes, that was what I meant by "If Chicago is available, they're the obvious play."  :P

(FYI just looked it up and they're owned in 81% of Yahoo leagues, so probably not available. Carolina is at 50% and all the others I mentioned are well south of that.)

Yes, that was what I meant by "If Chicago is available, they're the obvious play."  :P

(FYI just looked it up and they're owned in 81% of Yahoo leagues, so probably not available. Carolina is at 50% and all the others I mentioned are well south of that.)
LOL. Sorry, was skimming and missed that last part.

LAC had a huge day, somewhat expected -- given Bosa looks out for a longer term, and given they fell on their faces in WK1, is this a D that we should:

1) hold on to and use week to week given overall talent?

2) Drop and look to stream?

3) Hold and pair with another D to tandem stream?

4) Other?

Honestly do not know what to think of this squad in terms of valuating their value going forward. WK1 can be fluky but they looked horrid; they rose to the occasion agaisnt a weaker opponent, can they be depended upon to similarly going forward? 

LAC had a huge day, somewhat expected -- given Bosa looks out for a longer term, and given they fell on their faces in WK1, is this a D that we should:

1) hold on to and use week to week given overall talent?

2) Drop and look to stream?

3) Hold and pair with another D to tandem stream?

4) Other?

Honestly do not know what to think of this squad in terms of valuating their value going forward. WK1 can be fluky but they looked horrid; they rose to the occasion agaisnt a weaker opponent, can they be depended upon to similarly going forward? 
Without knowing their upcoming schedule, I'd say 3. So far they've face the best and worst offenses in the league (sorry if you feel excluded, Cards fans). So hard to say anything for sure. They have a lot of talent and a lot of injuries.

I have Carolina & Cleveland. Am I crazy for thinking of dropping Carolina & running with the Browns full time? I could also swap 1 of them for the Jets

Pats? Need to look up why, but apparantly Lions giving up most points to defenses in my league.  Over under in that game may be 50 though.

JIslander said:
Pats? Need to look up why, but apparantly Lions giving up most points to defenses in my league.  Over under in that game may be 50 though.
Looking at Pats as well for this week, but they let opposing Ds hang 20 and 31 on them so far, and alternately had trouble bottling up the run in game one and the pass in game two.

MIA is also looking good against the Raiders, but both these teams are mediocre and I think the Raiders are actually due.

Not many other options available in my league that I would likely jump on (CAR, CLE, even the Jets) -- these include:

CIN @ CAR (dicey IMHO)

GB @ WAS (maybe, though hard for me to trust GB but WAS seems vulnerable)

SEA vs DAL (SEA is a shell of a D from what they were, and DAL may be due, but both Ds are available and may be utile -- but it's a flyer)

For me, MIA and NE seem best, maybe GB. Thoughts?

Looking at Pats as well for this week, but they let opposing Ds hang 20 and 31 on them so far, and alternately had trouble bottling up the run in game one and the pass in game two.

MIA is also looking good against the Raiders, but both these teams are mediocre and I think the Raiders are actually due.

Not many other options available in my league that I would likely jump on (CAR, CLE, even the Jets) -- these include:

CIN @ CAR (dicey IMHO)

GB @ WAS (maybe, though hard for me to trust GB but WAS seems vulnerable)

SEA vs DAL (SEA is a shell of a D from what they were, and DAL may be due, but both Ds are available and may be utile -- but it's a flyer)

For me, MIA and NE seem best, maybe GB. Thoughts?
Yeah, I think the good Pat's matchup I saw was just based on Staffords Ints in first game.  He likely throw more, but the O/U is like 52, so I'm staying away.  I do have Cle, Jets and Mia as options to consider. Right now I have NO, and feel same about that game as Pats.

Users who are viewing this thread