What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (3 Viewers)

I picked them up. I’m gonna try to bite the bullet and play them this week to avoid carrying two defenses. Will see how much my opponent has scored after noon games. 
Exactly what I’m doing. Too many lotto pickups/speculative adds this week to be holding 2 defenses for me. I’m hoping for 5 but my opponent had Lindsay go so that was nice. 

I picked them up. I’m gonna try to bite the bullet and play them this week to avoid carrying two defenses. Will see how much my opponent has scored after noon games. 
Same exact thing im doing. Just gonna hope I don't need them to win this week

Is anyone planning on keeping the Patriots the whole season?  I hate to cut such a well producing defense.  But their second half schedule is difficult.  Though Week 15 at Bengals is a very nice playoff matchup.  And Week 16 vs the Bills is nice, too.  Here is the Patriots' end of year schedule:

8 vs Browns

9 at Ravens

10 Bye          

11 at Eagles

12 vs Cowboys

13 at Texans

14 vs Chiefs

15 at Bengals

16 vs Bills

i drafted the Pats specifically for the 1st half and then figured that I would decide later what to do.  I have been strongly considering the Jets and if I can maintain my position in the standings, will probably hope they are still there in a couple weeks (or someone else that looks good) and hold 2 defenses.

I think that they are really locked in and I don't know that the Browns or Ravens concern me that much against the Pats.  I think that Belichick can figure out how to confuse the young QBs.  So it's really about that stretch from 10-14.  I still probably wouldn't be opposed to just rolling with them throughout, as the secondary seems pretty nasty and they look fantastic overall, aside from the competition.
Interesting to look at this again.

As of now, Eagles and Cowboys don't look like obvious bad match-ups.  Texans could definitely be feisty, but they have 5 turnovers the past 2 games and have given up the 8th-most sacks on the year.  Chiefs seem like they will have Mahomes back, but there is definitely a chance that he won't really be himself.

In leagues where points allowed are heavily penalized, you still might have an issue, but I think that just rolling all the way through with NE is not a bad strategy.

Also picked up the Jets about an hour ago.

Count me in for the rotating defense carousel of MIA, Was, Arizona, and Cincinnati. 

Also picked up the Jets about an hour ago.

Count me in for the rotating defense carousel of MIA, Was, Arizona, and Cincinnati. 
Arizona might be tough, but the others are good matchups. However, the Jets only have 7 sacks YTD. I'm planning to pick them up for week 9, vs Miami, when NO has a bye, unless my waiver claim for the Steelers goes through.

Starting to rethink the jets lol
I mean, we knew the Pats were going to make the Jets D looks worse than they are, but they don't look good at any phase of the game so far.

Hoping this is an aberration and wake-up call to what seems like a very capable Jets D on paper -- otherwise might be looking to dump them for another platoon candidate with NE.

I mean, we knew the Pats were going to make the Jets D looks worse than they are, but they don't look good at any phase of the game so far.

Hoping this is an aberration and wake-up call to what seems like a very capable Jets D on paper -- otherwise might be looking to dump them for another platoon candidate with NE.
The Jets d preseason ranking was not very high, even with the addition of Mosley. Why should I buy?

Why should I buy?
Week Opponent Opp Ave Fantasy Def Pts Rank

9      Dolphins                      1st

10     Giants                          4th

11      Redskins                    6th

12      Raiders                      31st

13      Bengals                      7th

14      Dolphins                     1st

Week Opponent Opp Ave Fantasy Def Pts Rank

9      Dolphins                      1st

10     Giants                          4th

11      Redskins                    6th

12      Raiders                      31st

13      Bengals                      7th

14      Dolphins                     1st
Great schedule. But sacks are a big component of most DST scoring systems and they aren't a big sack team. Still, if I don't get the Steelers on my waiver claim, they're next up to pair with NO, who'll be on a week 9 bye.

Does everyone prefer Tennessee or Carolina this week? 
Titans by a healthy margin this week.

This excerpt sums it up quite nicely:

GETTING DEFENSIVE: WEEK 8

Tennessee Titans (vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers)

The Tennessee Titans might just be the least inspiring 3-4 team in the NFL. But while it's gone largely unnoticed by most casual fans, the Tennessee defense has been solid. Through seven games the Titans have yet to allow more than 20 points in a contest, and the Titans are fifth in scoring defense—the second consecutive season the team's ranked inside the NFL's top five in that regard. Sunday the Titans will play host to a Tampa Bay Buccaneers team that is once again prone to shooting themselves in the foot—the Bucs have turned the ball over more times than all but three teams in the NFL and lead the NFC in fantasy points surrendered to team defenses in 2019.

So glad to be done with this. TRADED for a defense last week (never did that before). Was just sick and tired of studying defenses all week and ending up with a 0 week in and week out. Traded Royce Freeman for 49ers defense and was ecstatic with the 17 points they put up for me!

Sadly, this is taking a more serious turn. Know Leonard Williams was not what he was drafted to be, but is expectation that rookie Quinnen Williams can step right in? Bad vibe around this team right now has me nervous despite the tasty matchups.
Yeah, I thought I was real smart grabbing the Jets last week to pair with my NE defense. Wondering how much this is worth it outside of their bye week. May need to see a strong performance from them before I'm confident starting them. Was considering the Colts, but they got picked up on Sunday. 

Picked up the Jets last week, but the events of the last couple weeks are giving me second thoughts.

Intrigued by the Browns now that Flacco has been declared out.

IheartGuinness said:
I have them both, too. Are you thinking of just sending Buffalo to the waiver wire and riding San Francisco for the year? I may just do that. They looked incredible.
Not sure yet.  For some reason I haven't put all my faith in the SF D yet.  Maybe because I'm a Rams fan. :)   But I damn sure am playing them Thursday.

So...

Jets v MIA

or

NE v BAL

Easy to think I am way overthinking this and to just ride the hot hand with NE. Jets have not looked solid and just lost Leonard Williams and Mosely, and play on the road against a MIA who were fired up enough to be competitive with the Steelers through a quarter or two.

But honestly not sure.

CLE v DEN is also looking interesting.

So...

Jets v MIA

or

NE v BAL

Easy to think I am way overthinking this and to just ride the hot hand with NE. Jets have not looked solid and just lost Leonard Williams and Mosely, and play on the road against a MIA who were fired up enough to be competitive with the Steelers through a quarter or two.

But honestly not sure.

CLE v DEN is also looking interesting.
Baltimore is beating ne

Didn't need Pitt last nite but still got some decent points out of them.

Looking to flip them this week for either Dallas, Philly or Denver. 

Didn't need Pitt last nite but still got some decent points out of them.

Looking to flip them this week for either Dallas, Philly or Denver. 
Went Pitt as well. After colts and Rams, they look like decent plays. Cleveland twice, cincy (but green may be back by then), cardinals, bills, and jets (week 16!)

andy Dalton now benched for Finley in the cincy matchup

looking at the cle and den matchup this weekend.

can’t make myself pick up the jets d

Last edited by a moderator:
Walking Boot said:
BAL is on waivers, and I'm sure NE is going to scare a few people away this week. I might just grab and hold them for the playoff weeks (BUF/NYJ/CLE in 14/15/16).
The Ravens play the Bengals in week 10.  That is a ripe peach level of juiciness for a matchup for their defense.  As a Patriots defense owner in most of my leagues, I'm going to make an concerted effort to roster the Ravens defense this week.  If I wait until next week, it'll cost FAAB cashish.  

Managed to grab Seattle over NYJ, not feeling the Jets D with the loss of Williams and morale. 

Both Indy and Baltimore out there for week 10. Hoping to pick them up.

The Eagles are my target for the playoff run. Week 13, 14 and 15...Mia, NYG, Was. I'll deal with week 16 if I get there. 

Managed to grab Seattle over NYJ, not feeling the Jets D with the loss of Williams and morale. 

Both Indy and Baltimore out there for week 10. Hoping to pick them up.

The Eagles are my target for the playoff run. Week 13, 14 and 15...Mia, NYG, Was. I'll deal with week 16 if I get there. 
Good point on eagles

Eagles  against Chicago is not bad this weekend. Trubisky has 3 ints and 1 fumble, Chicago Is giving up 2.7 sacks per game, it’s n philly over is 43 which looks fairly low

Is there a consensus on the team to have for the playoffs?  
I was thinking Baltimore with Jets and Browns. 

Then maybe Lions with Bucs and Broncos. 
Then maybe Texans with Titans and Bucs. 

Holding Minny and Carolina at the moment. I will try to drop Minny for the Jets ROS after this week. (Depending on injuries, I might pull the trigger now so I don’t miss out on the waiver run) Jets D is no joke, and the offense will now help them out. The schedule is tasty as well. No brainer in my mind.

Like others, I'm wavering on this move to the Jets D. Eyeballing Steelers and Philly for their playoff schedules, while hanging onto Carolina.

If you pair the Bills and the Ravens Ds the rest of the year, you get:  week 9--Bills home against Redskins; week 10--Ravens at Bengals (Finley making NFL debut); week 11--Bills at Dolphins; week 12--Bills home against Broncos; week 13--tough one, either Bills at Dallas or Ravens home against SF; week 14--they play each other; week 15--Ravens home against Jets; and week 16---Ravens at Browns.

Guess I'm back to streaming defenses AGAIN LOL

Purposely drafted CHI BEARS D/ST to avoid this streaming business. Dropped CHI a little while ago to play CAR this week.

Note: Started streaming TE's a few weeks ago and now the kickers lol.

So, I'm in on CAR this week, BUF in another, CLE in the third league. Keeping LAR in one league going forward for now.

Currently I have the bills and panthers d and trying to figure out which one to roll with ros as I hate carrying 2.  Leaning towards panthers just for the simple fact what they’ve put up so far for points vs bills. Like bills schedule better but just feel the panthers are a better d. Jets are available but as stated by others with the injuries and all I think I’ve moved on from wanting to go with them.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess I'm back to streaming defenses AGAIN LOL

Purposely drafted CHI BEARS D/ST to avoid this streaming business. Dropped CHI a little while ago to play CAR this week.

Note: Started streaming TE's a few weeks ago and now the kickers lol.

So, I'm in on CAR this week, BUF in another, CLE in the third league. Keeping LAR in one league going forward for now.
To be honest, Ds change so much year to year. Its hard to find one that is #1 year after year any more. 

Yes, and why they are the perfect position to stream. You also aren't wasting an earlier draft pick.
This and kicker, I sometimes go without drafting them if the league allows it. Why drafta  kicker when I can pick one up before the first game?

Defense matters a little more because of the 30 point outputs they can get you and u wont have to waste a roster spot holding one when u stream an easier matchup. Thanks Eagles. lol

Does anyone play a defense every week with exception of bye anyways? I encourage streaming of defense and kickers.

Users who are viewing this thread