What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (9 Viewers)

Even though I own the 49ers defense, their upcoming schedule is BRUTAL. Games against Seattle, GB, & NO. I already stashed Indy for next week vs Miami.

Even though I own the 49ers defense, their upcoming schedule is BRUTAL. Games against Seattle, GB, & NO. I already stashed Indy for next week vs Miami.
Doesn’t get bad till week 12.

Seattle has actually been fairly friendly to opposing defenses.

But I agree with you week 12,13,14,16

Doesn’t get bad till week 12.

Seattle has actually been fairly friendly to opposing defenses.

But I agree with you week 12,13,14,16
Yeah Seattle isn't a terrible matchup but I think Wilson has only thrown 1 INT on the season. They had that bad game vs Baltimore. Id still rather start IND next week over SF and then revisit weeks 12-16

Is there a consensus on the team to have for the playoffs?  
I was thinking Baltimore with Jets and Browns. 

Then maybe Lions with Bucs and Broncos. 
Then maybe Texans with Titans and Bucs. 
The Giants are going to likely get Rosen for the semi-final and Haskens for the final. 

I faded NYJ and looking at Clev or Philly.  Leaning Clev vs Brandon Allen.

NYJ does have a nice matchup I just trust them less with injuries and the team implosion going on with Gase.

I faded NYJ and looking at Clev or Philly.  Leaning Clev vs Brandon Allen.

NYJ does have a nice matchup I just trust them less with injuries and the team implosion going on with Gase.
I've had the Jets stashed for a few weeks but not feeling great about it now. Miami isn't quite the dumpster fire they were to start the year and the Jets are more of a dumpster fire. I'm gonna roll with them but tempering expectations.

Or should I go with Pittsburgh who is on my roster as well?

I am rolling Seattle and still have a shot to grab NYJ because no one else wanted them. 

But with Jamal Adams being Psssst, I can see a man enraged out there. He has to back up his "Brady and Donald" talk. 

I dont know if I should revisit a matchup like Seattle against Winston in Seattle and NYJ on the road against a team of players who so badly want a win. 

So lets ask again, why are the people passing over the Jets actually? What say you? I know we have had reasons of picking teams, but why are people passing on Jets specifically? 

I don't consider Miami that great of a matchup for opposing defenses.  In one of my leagues, opposing defenses have scored the most against them but 32.0 of the 88.0 fantasy points scored against them by opposing defenses was scored by New England in week 2.  If you replace that 32.0 with the average of what the other opposing defenses scored, they fall down to having given up the 10th most to opposing defenses.  So that is a good matchup for an opposing defense but not great.  With the Jets' defense looking like they might be below average at this point, I'd look elsewhere.  The defenses facing Brandon Allen and Ryan Finley over the next few weeks are far more tantalizing.

Is anyone rolling with the Jets this weekend or have we all moved on?
I am. I get that the Jets are diminished on D, but the upcoming schedule is so soft I'd expect if nothing else that the O can do enough good things that what is left of the D can take advantage of the QBs they face the rest of the way. Jackson and Carr are the best by far. The rest are rookies, second year guys or journeyman vets. Maybe the Jets will be patsy's these weak teams feast on, but I'm going to see how they do the next few match up before pulling the plug.

The Giants are going to likely get Rosen for the semi-final and Haskens for the final. 
Been eying that late season schedule myself.

Still torn around playing Jets v MIA or NE v CLE. I think I might roll with NE and see what the Jets do -- I might miss out on some tasty points if the Jets play somewhat up to expectations (and MIA plays to their negative expectations) and hopefully won't cost me a game. But it's not as if the NE D isn't strong enough in their own right to limit some downside, and gives me a chance to see whether the Jets actually can be useful over their really soft match ups following.

Basically, use this week as the Jets D put up or shut-up: if they can't look good against MIA, they can't be trusted against anyone.

Looking ahead to next week. I see both Balt (@Cinci) and Indy (vs Miami) on the wire.

Have Buffalo but don't love the matchup @CLE. 

Cinci will be starting a rookie QB, but does get AJ Green back. Game is at home. Could see BALT offense having a bit of a letdown post NE game.

Indy D getting healthy. Very slow offensive tempo too so could see limited opportunities for Miami.

See these two Ds being top 5 next week. Any thoughts?

Looking ahead to next week. I see both Balt (@Cinci) and Indy (vs Miami) on the wire.

Have Buffalo but don't love the matchup @CLE. 

Cinci will be starting a rookie QB, but does get AJ Green back. Game is at home. Could see BALT offense having a bit of a letdown post NE game.

Indy D getting healthy. Very slow offensive tempo too so could see limited opportunities for Miami.

See these two Ds being top 5 next week. Any thoughts?
I like your pro-active thinking. I also like both D/ST next week. I'm also looking at the LAR next week @ PIT. 

Watch the games and get a feel moving forward.

I like your pro-active thinking. I also like both D/ST next week. I'm also looking at the LAR next week @ PIT. 

Watch the games and get a feel moving forward.
Gotta make a move before 1 pm kickoffs when rosters lock. My opponent next week needs a D as well so it's a potential pick up and start for next week now while at the same time blocking my opponent.

Leaning Indy for some reason. Maybe Miami decides to go with Rosen next week.

Well, time to hone again on D/ST for the ROS with potential combo teams or ride one team? LA Charges, BAL, CAR have made a statement. 

Where we at now looking forward through the maize of byes and match ups?

Who are we fading, who are we buying?

Fading CHI

Just bought NO

Open to following along...

Not sure I have the cajones to start San Fran versus Wilson.

But also likely have to drop them if I don’t.
If you drop them this late in the bye week season, you'll never get them back.

Ride them, unless you're at a win-or-go-home stage of the season.

If you drop them this late in the bye week season, you'll never get them back.

Ride them, unless you're at a win-or-go-home stage of the season.
There schedule ahead isn’t exactly enticing. They’ve been a strong hold all year but it gets tough for them and their Arizona game doesn’t even look as nice.

Thoughts on Na' Orleans ROS.
I honestly don't know -- they are a solid, solid defense so there is worth there regardless of opponent, but schedule looks more hard than easy to me.

ATL twice -- If Ryan stays healthy, they can put up points.

TB has come on as of late offensively.

CAR looks easier as does IND without Brissett, but SF is dicey play against your D.

They have TEN in WK 16 so that's something.

Gonna try to get baltimore to play instead of sf.  But will play sf if I dont get them. They will get a couple sacks or turnovers even against wilson

I honestly don't know -- they are a solid, solid defense so there is worth there regardless of opponent, but schedule looks more hard than easy to me.

ATL twice -- If Ryan stays healthy, they can put up points.

TB has come on as of late offensively.

CAR looks easier as does IND without Brissett, but SF is dicey play against your D.

They have TEN in WK 16 so that's something.
I scooped them up prior to the start of last nights game for free, but am somewhat echoing your similar sentiments. Slightly converse thinking though:

ATL twice - with Ryan, they have put up points, but 1.) I wouldn't consider any of those defenses particularly stout 2.) I believe NO's D to be fair amount better than the ones they've played previously. 3. while they have the ability to put up points, they also seem to allow sacks & are at the bottom of the league in turning the ball over (Only the Giants have turned it over more & they've played 1 more game - https://www.footballdb.com/stats/turnovers.html?sort=givetot)

That being said, I'm cautiously optimistic on NO defense, but am debating dropping for a FAAB claim of BAL

Week 9 insider notes: Sorry, Browns, but it's already over, Bills' defense has a big problem, and more

Excerpt:

Concern about Bills defense 

The Bills' run defense is starting to give me some pause. It was one thing to get gashed by the Eagles last week, who unleashed a multitude of looks and personnel in the backfield and had a dominant day from that powerful offensive line. It's quite another to let Adrian Peterson and the woeful Skins line gut you over 100 yards in the first half alone, at home, on a day when Skins QB Dwayne Haskins was making his NFL debut and wasn't exactly going to be pressing your secondary deep. Let's just say I am a little concerned.

In the past two weeks the Bills – built on defense, let's be honest – have allowed 345 yards rushing (!) on 64 carries, for a scary average of 5.4 per carry. That's not going to get it done. The Bills are not catching the Patriots, and it's all about wild card positioning for them. This November schedule should be a time to make things happen, and it very well may still, with the Browns, Dolphins and Broncos up next. But two of those teams can move the ball on the ground pretty well, and this defense needs to remain stout because I don't see Josh Allen winning a lot of games coming from behind given where he is at this point.

need2know said:
Gonna still hold sf
It will probably be a mistake but I think I have to drop them. 

Im fighting for a playoff spot and am heavily favored this week but I’ve lost so many weird ones I think I gotta use waiver on Baltimore or Indy to secure some points. Russel has been nails and it scares me.

San Fran gets...

Seattle

Arizona (looked nice before the previous AZ game)

Green Bay

Baltimore 

New Orleans (playoffs)

Atlanta (playoffs)

Los Angeles (championship)

They are a great NFL defense but I think the only game I’m truly comfortable starting them there is Atlanta. Maybe Arizona as well if you call the Arizona hurry up offense game sort of a fluke and they’ll figure them out round 2.

It will probably be a mistake but I think I have to drop them. 

Im fighting for a playoff spot and am heavily favored this week but I’ve lost so many weird ones I think I gotta use waiver on Baltimore or Indy to secure some points. Russel has been nails and it scares me.

San Fran gets...

Seattle

Arizona (looked nice before the previous AZ game)

Green Bay

Baltimore 

New Orleans (playoffs)

Atlanta (playoffs)

Los Angeles (championship)

They are a great NFL defense but I think the only game I’m truly comfortable starting them there is Atlanta. Maybe Arizona as well if you call the Arizona hurry up offense game sort of a fluke and they’ll figure them out round 2.
They roughed up la before and gb def looks mortal right now.  But do what you have to bro 

They roughed up la before and gb def looks mortal right now.  But do what you have to bro 
And even Seattle and GB (who the chargers just made that O look bad)...Wilson has taken 22 sacks this year 9th most.  Rodgers 20

Im holding as the wire is pretty void of good D right now.  Though, someone just dropped NE to cover bye weeks.  If I get them and have SF and NE for the final run I will be set.

Last edited by a moderator:
And even Seattle and GB (who the chargers just made that O look bad)...Wilson has taken 22 sacks this year 9th most.  Rodgers 20

Im holding as the wire is pretty void of good D right now.  Though, someone just dropped NE to cover bye weeks.  If I get them and have SF and NE for the final run I will be set.
I was able to get Baltimore to pair with sf.  I dont normally hold 2 def but I may right now

Short benches so don’t have room for two, but you guys convinced me to hold San Fran as of now.  Could have likely had Baltimore or Indy but would have had to drop San Fran.

Oakland is available, having faced Houston and Detroit and facing the Chargers this week, not expecting them to get picked up, and going to hold them for the game against Cincy next week and the Jets next after.

Paring the two, the opponents are CIN/CIN/JETS/SF/BUF/JETS/CLE. Other than week 13 vs SF, not too bad. 
I'd be careful with Oakland. They are a fairly one-sided offense in terms of being 5th against the run, but 27th against the pass. Their pass rush leaves a lot to be desired (25th in sacks).

For high octane passing/pass funnel offenses, where the run/pass ratio tilts towards the pass, or OAK can get out to an early lead forcing the other team to pass, OAK may not be as reliable.

Cincy is actually a middling pass offense (15th overall in yards, 69.3% pass ratio. The rest of those Ds are bottom quarter passing offense in yards, but teams like the Jets have a 61.4% pass ratio because they get behind. 

Ugh, you all seem lucky.  Not much available for this NE owner - choosing between Ten (KC), KC (@Ten), NYJ (NYG), TB (Ari), Sea (@SF).  

Like others here, I was leaning towards the Jets, but they are a steaming hot pile of #### right now.  The Giants/Jones are bad, but aren't the Jets much worse?  I may have to go with KC and hope Tannehill has a meltdown.

Users who are viewing this thread