Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

2020 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread

Gonna try to get baltimore to play instead of sf.  But will play sf if I dont get them. They will get a couple sacks or turnovers even against wilson

12 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

I honestly don't know -- they are a solid, solid defense so there is worth there regardless of opponent, but schedule looks more hard than easy to me.

ATL twice -- If Ryan stays healthy, they can put up points.

TB has come on as of late offensively.

CAR looks easier as does IND without Brissett, but SF is dicey play against your D.

They have TEN in WK 16 so that's something.

I scooped them up prior to the start of last nights game for free, but am somewhat echoing your similar sentiments. Slightly converse thinking though:

ATL twice - with Ryan, they have put up points, but 1.) I wouldn't consider any of those defenses particularly stout 2.) I believe NO's D to be fair amount better than the ones they've played previously. 3. while they have the ability to put up points, they also seem to allow sacks & are at the bottom of the league in turning the ball over (Only the Giants have turned it over more & they've played 1 more game - https://www.footballdb.com/stats/turnovers.html?sort=givetot)

That being said, I'm cautiously optimistic on NO defense, but am debating dropping for a FAAB claim of BAL

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shadyridr said:

Im playing Indy over SF this week. Im holding SF though

Bills over SF here.  (Disclaimer: SF will blow up as I've failed at picking the correct team 3 straight weeks)

Picked up Baltimore last week, available since they were against NE, and will play them this week vs Cincy.

Oakland is available, having faced Houston and Detroit and facing the Chargers this week, not expecting them to get picked up, and going to hold them for the game against Cincy next week and the Jets next after.

Paring the two, the opponents are CIN/CIN/JETS/SF/BUF/JETS/CLE. Other than week 13 vs SF, not too bad. 

Week 9 insider notes: Sorry, Browns, but it's already over, Bills' defense has a big problem, and more

Excerpt:

Concern about Bills defense 

The Bills' run defense is starting to give me some pause. It was one thing to get gashed by the Eagles last week, who unleashed a multitude of looks and personnel in the backfield and had a dominant day from that powerful offensive line. It's quite another to let Adrian Peterson and the woeful Skins line gut you over 100 yards in the first half alone, at home, on a day when Skins QB Dwayne Haskins was making his NFL debut and wasn't exactly going to be pressing your secondary deep. Let's just say I am a little concerned.

In the past two weeks the Bills – built on defense, let's be honest – have allowed 345 yards rushing (!) on 64 carries, for a scary average of 5.4 per carry. That's not going to get it done. The Bills are not catching the Patriots, and it's all about wild card positioning for them. This November schedule should be a time to make things happen, and it very well may still, with the Browns, Dolphins and Broncos up next. But two of those teams can move the ball on the ground pretty well, and this defense needs to remain stout because I don't see Josh Allen winning a lot of games coming from behind given where he is at this point.

Someone dropped Pittsburgh.  I’m going to try and claim them to pair with Philly. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Andrew74 said:

Someone dropped Pittsburgh.  I’m going to try and claim them to pair with Philly. 

Pitt has a great playoff schedule. I’m thinking of grabbing them just for that. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, need2know said:

Gonna still hold sf

It will probably be a mistake but I think I have to drop them. 

Im fighting for a playoff spot and am heavily favored this week but I’ve lost so many weird ones I think I gotta use waiver on Baltimore or Indy to secure some points. Russel has been nails and it scares me.

San Fran gets...

Seattle

Arizona (looked nice before the previous AZ game)

Green Bay

Baltimore 

New Orleans (playoffs)

Atlanta (playoffs)

Los Angeles (championship)

They are a great NFL defense but I think the only game I’m truly comfortable starting them there is Atlanta. Maybe Arizona as well if you call the Arizona hurry up offense game sort of a fluke and they’ll figure them out round 2.

13 minutes ago, VikingFrog said:

It will probably be a mistake but I think I have to drop them. 

Im fighting for a playoff spot and am heavily favored this week but I’ve lost so many weird ones I think I gotta use waiver on Baltimore or Indy to secure some points. Russel has been nails and it scares me.

San Fran gets...

Seattle

Arizona (looked nice before the previous AZ game)

Green Bay

Baltimore 

New Orleans (playoffs)

Atlanta (playoffs)

Los Angeles (championship)

They are a great NFL defense but I think the only game I’m truly comfortable starting them there is Atlanta. Maybe Arizona as well if you call the Arizona hurry up offense game sort of a fluke and they’ll figure them out round 2.

They roughed up la before and gb def looks mortal right now.  But do what you have to bro 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, need2know said:

They roughed up la before and gb def looks mortal right now.  But do what you have to bro 

And even Seattle and GB (who the chargers just made that O look bad)...Wilson has taken 22 sacks this year 9th most.  Rodgers 20

Im holding as the wire is pretty void of good D right now.  Though, someone just dropped NE to cover bye weeks.  If I get them and have SF and NE for the final run I will be set.

Edited by sho nuff

55 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

And even Seattle and GB (who the chargers just made that O look bad)...Wilson has taken 22 sacks this year 9th most.  Rodgers 20

Im holding as the wire is pretty void of good D right now.  Though, someone just dropped NE to cover bye weeks.  If I get them and have SF and NE for the final run I will be set.

I was able to get Baltimore to pair with sf.  I dont normally hold 2 def but I may right now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Short benches so don’t have room for two, but you guys convinced me to hold San Fran as of now.  Could have likely had Baltimore or Indy but would have had to drop San Fran.

17 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

Oakland is available, having faced Houston and Detroit and facing the Chargers this week, not expecting them to get picked up, and going to hold them for the game against Cincy next week and the Jets next after.

Paring the two, the opponents are CIN/CIN/JETS/SF/BUF/JETS/CLE. Other than week 13 vs SF, not too bad. 

I'd be careful with Oakland. They are a fairly one-sided offense in terms of being 5th against the run, but 27th against the pass. Their pass rush leaves a lot to be desired (25th in sacks).

For high octane passing/pass funnel offenses, where the run/pass ratio tilts towards the pass, or OAK can get out to an early lead forcing the other team to pass, OAK may not be as reliable.

Cincy is actually a middling pass offense (15th overall in yards, 69.3% pass ratio. The rest of those Ds are bottom quarter passing offense in yards, but teams like the Jets have a 61.4% pass ratio because they get behind. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Cincy is actually a middling pass offense (15th overall in yards, 69.3% pass ratio)

Good to know. I expect Cincy's pass offense to take a hit with the rookie QB in, assuming he's behind center next week, too.

14 hours ago, icehouse said:

Anyone holding the Eagles for the playoffs?

Want Steelers and philly. But had to drop philly because of engram injury 

Ugh, you all seem lucky.  Not much available for this NE owner - choosing between Ten (KC), KC (@Ten), NYJ (NYG), TB (Ari), Sea (@SF).  

Like others here, I was leaning towards the Jets, but they are a steaming hot pile of #### right now.  The Giants/Jones are bad, but aren't the Jets much worse?  I may have to go with KC and hope Tannehill has a meltdown.

I am rolling with the Jets this week.  Not feeling very confident about it but with the Giants giving up a ton of sacks, and Engram and Shepard out they have potential to play well this week.

Just now, killface said:

should i roll out the 49ers or switch to the giants or the jets?  Ugh...what an ugly week

I went with the Jets over SF.  Not feeling confident about it and maybe it's an overreaction based on how SF D played last week but I am basing my decision on the Giants having a much worse offense than Seattle so there is a greater opportunity for sacks and turnovers.

1 minute ago, skillz said:

I went with the Jets over SF.  Not feeling confident about it and maybe it's an overreaction based on how SF D played last week but I am basing my decision on the Giants having a much worse offense than Seattle so there is a greater opportunity for sacks and turnovers.

i think i like the choice...sea just doesn't give up many sacks and ints.  What's the min points they are going to put it up...it has to be at least 20

4 minutes ago, killface said:

i think i like the choice...sea just doesn't give up many sacks and ints.  What's the min points they are going to put it up...it has to be at least 20

That is what I am thinking plus in my league we lose 2 points for every 7 allowed so I need to take points against into account.  Josh Gordon possibly playing for Sea is also factoring into my decision.  I see a better QB in Seattle with a ton of weapons vs a rookie QB for the Giants with a porous offensive line and two of his offensive weapons out for the game.  

I picked up the Panthers because they're 5th overall in my league, but I'm noticing that nobody seems to be very high on them this week. The consensus ranker at FantasyPros has them at #20 this week, and they're only being started in 54% of MFL leagues.

The best available options on the WW are the Browns (#8 in consensus rankings), Lions (#13), Jets (#14) and Cowboys (#15).

Why are the Panthers such a bad play? It's not like Green Bay is unstoppable this year.

Are the Browns really a good play? They seem shaky, and Buffalo is on a roll right now.

I picked up Pittsburgh over San Francisco in one league. I'm hoping that sticks well. DVOA has their weighted rank as third, and they haven't scored under ten points in four or five weeks. SF lost a key cog at linebacker and has one of the weakest schedules faced per DVOA in the league.

God, I hope these stats are telling me something right. Truthfully told, I think Seattle will do just fine on offense vs. SF and Goff, who is notoriously bad under pressure, caves in the face of the Steelers' resurgent pass rush.   

I have the Giants D in now. 

Should i switch them out for the Bears now ? 

Need opinions on Bears D from Bears fans against Detroit with a new QB

2 minutes ago, BigDave said:

I have the Giants D in now. 

Should i switch them out for the Bears now ? 

Need opinions on Bears D from Bears fans against Detroit with a new QB

Not a bears fan but I’d be all over Bears D as a start this week. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:

I like the Bears against Jeff Freaking Driskell.

Woof. No doubt. 

22 minutes ago, killface said:

the jets and giants are both on my wire...thoughts?

Of those, I'd go NYG

Rolling with the Giants over the Jets this week. 

Not confident about either, but Giants seemed the lesser of two evils.

1 minute ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Rolling with the Giants over the Jets this week. 

Not confident about either, but Giants seemed the lesser of two evils.

it's such a tough decision...

Just now, killface said:

it's such a tough decision...

For me it comes down to momentum.

Jets D has some solid players but in addition to not having CJ Mosely, another starting LB in Hewitt, and starting CB Roberts doubtful, and with their starting NE (McLendon) and DE (Anderson) limited all week and questionable for the game, not confident in the health of this squad. Add that to the generally fractured team under Gase, and Sam still looking poor under center, I don't think the Jets have a lot juice in terms of momentum.

Giants D isn't so much better, and have allowed opponents at LEAST 24 points in every game so far. But they had some momentum playing Dallas really tight in the opening quarter or two, have Williams that may provide a spark, and see above comment about Sam, which I think will lead to a low scoring game with opportunity for picks/sacks.

14 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Jets D has some solid players but in addition to not having CJ Mosely, another starting LB in Hewitt, and starting CB Roberts doubtful, and with their starting NE (McLendon) and DE (Anderson) limited all week and questionable for the game, not confident in the health of this squad. Add that to the generally fractured team under Gase, and Sam still looking poor under center, I don't think the Jets have a lot juice in terms of momentum.

Giants D isn't so much better, and have allowed opponents at LEAST 24 points in every game so far. But they had some momentum playing Dallas really tight in the opening quarter or two, have Williams that may provide a spark, and see above comment about Sam, which I think will lead to a low scoring game with opportunity for picks/sacks.

i agree with all of it and i still hate having to start either one :)

Edited by killface

10 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Would you start Buff (@ Cleve) over both, if you had them?

Buffalo is a must-start this week, IMO. The Browns are teetering on the brink of oblivion, while the Bills are hitting their stride.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 1:58 PM, Walking Boot said:

Picked up Baltimore last week, available since they were against NE, and will play them this week vs Cincy.

Was hoping Baltimore would be worth it after Oakland crushed it on Thursday, and they definitely have delivered. Having more confidence in Oakland against these Bengals next week for sure.

10 hours ago, rockaction said:

I picked up Pittsburgh over San Francisco in one league. I'm hoping that sticks well. DVOA has their weighted rank as third, and they haven't scored under ten points in four or five weeks. SF lost a key cog at linebacker and has one of the weakest schedules faced per DVOA in the league.

God, I hope these stats are telling me something right. Truthfully told, I think Seattle will do just fine on offense vs. SF and Goff, who is notoriously bad under pressure, caves in the face of the Steelers' resurgent pass rush.   

:bowtie:

4 sacks, three picks, one fumble recovery, one D/ST TD.

25 points. 

Edited by rockaction

I had to play the Jets this week.  All in all they were fine, no INTs, but 5 sacks, 1TD, 6 TFLs.

Anyone out there still enticed by their upcoming schedule?  @Was  Oak  @Cin  Mia??  Or are they just too bad/tanking for Tua?

16 minutes ago, rockaction said:

:bowtie:

4 sacks, three picks, one fumble recovery, one D/ST TD.

25 points. 

Was going to carry philly and Pittsburgh into playoffs but after today’s performance I am thinking just use Pittsburgh. 

24 minutes ago, Down Under said:

I had to play the Jets this week.  All in all they were fine, no INTs, but 5 sacks, 1TD, 6 TFLs.

Anyone out there still enticed by their upcoming schedule?  @Was  Oak  @Cin  Mia??  Or are they just too bad/tanking for Tua?

A lot of people had noticed that, mulled it, and are now watching the product and changing their mind. I don't think they're tanking, but they're not the same defense they were even during their horrible stretch. Mosley is out and they traded away Williams.

• Thinking 1

25 minutes ago, rockaction said:

A lot of people had noticed that, mulled it, and are now watching the product and changing their mind. I don't think they're tanking, but they're not the same defense they were even during their horrible stretch. Mosley is out and they traded away Williams.

Yeah, I hear (and had read) all that but here is the D scoring in my main league this week:

Jets - 21

49ers - TBD

Steelers - 28

Bears - 9

Chargers - 9 

Cowboys - 4 (midway thru 3q)

Lions - 7

Saints - 6

Panthers - 5

Giants - 5

Ravens - 27

Vikings - 2 (midway thru 3q)

Colts - 12

Packers - 10

Bills - 10

Available teams - Titans, Eagles, Browns, Bucs, Seahawks, Raiders, and the rest of the rif raf.  

Small sample size, but matchups matter.  Top 3 TD scorers this week played the Giants, Bengals, and Rams(?).  Patriots were exposed as very average playing their first competitive team.

I guess I'm STILL mulling it over, not ready to dismiss the Jets D just yet.

Just now, Down Under said:

Available teams - Titans, Eagles, Browns, Bucs, Seahawks, Raiders, and the rest of the rif raf.  

Small sample size, but matchups matter.  Top 3 TD scorers this week played the Giants, Bengals, and Rams(?).  Patriots were exposed as very average playing their first competitive team.

I guess I'm STILL mulling it over, not ready to dismiss the Jets D just yet.

Oh sure, I'm not trying to talk you out of the Jets or pooh-poohing them or the wonderful nature of their matchups. They're just not the same squad they even were at the beginning of the year when they were getting killed with Luke Falk and company.