Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

2020 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread

13 minutes ago, Down Under said:

I guess I'm STILL mulling it over, not ready to dismiss the Jets D just yet.

I'm not dismissing them either. 

Thought the Giants would be good for for this week and their late season schedule, but now just as unsure about them as I am about the Jets. 

Wire was thin all year, but with byes this week seems to be a lot of options -- PHI, CAR, LAC, CAR, HOU, DEN.

11 hours ago, Down Under said:

I had to play the Jets this week.  All in all they were fine, no INTs, but 5 sacks, 1TD, 6 TFLs.

I played them too, and they worked out great. I get points and yards against in my main league, and the Jets got me 26 points. I played Darnold too due to bye week, and he also did well. I don't plan on playing him again. Not sure about the Jets D.  

Geez, you have to wonder about an article that gets Jeff Driskel's team wrong. Good job, Rotoworld. You've got him starting for Cincinnati.

• Laughing 1

If anyone is looking ahead and has a bye week wrapped up, who are we looking at for Weeks 14-16?

Eagles @ Washington is week 15, but it's an away game and Guice should be back and Haskins more time under his belt?

GB is home vs Chicago?

Chiefs are home vs Denver Week 15, @ Chicago week 16 (Garbage time points against though you have to watch out for)

11 hours ago, Cobbler1 said:

Raiders fo sho

Raiders were outbid on unfortunately. Jets Or Panthers, may just roll Panthers 

Running with the NE DEF now, but any good recommendations to stream with them?  Looking primarily at Wks 11-14.  I may run with NE this week, unless there are better options.  Considering the following:

CAR - ATL, @NO, WAS, @ATL

NYJ - @WAS, OAK, @CIN, MIA

NE - @PHI, DAL, @HOU, KC

CAR has really turned it on lately on the defensive front.  NYJ's defense is the only thing keeping them in some games.  Both teams have ++ matchups 3 out of the next 4 weeks. Either choice, I'd have to start NE vs DAL, which a cold day in NE may not be as bad as it looks on paper.

Thoughts?

3 hours ago, Loipz said:

Raiders were outbid on unfortunately. Jets Or Panthers, may just roll Panthers 

Panthers and hold if you can for week 13 feast home to Skins 

Debating between Panthers and Ravens... can only hold on to one. Baltimore's been trending up and have the better playoff schedule. Their next 2 games are HOU and @LAR which are not so daunting. But Carolina has the easier next two weeks (ATL, WAS)

4 minutes ago, JoeyJoJoJuniorShabadoo said:

Debating between Panthers and Ravens... can only hold on to one. Baltimore's been trending up and have the better playoff schedule. Their next 2 games are HOU and @LAR which are not so daunting. But Carolina has the easier next two weeks (ATL, WAS)

I'd rather whoever is on your waiver wire who has a juicy matchup this week.

4 minutes ago, JoeyJoJoJuniorShabadoo said:

ATL  is not easy with Ryan back. Neither is HOU. 

15 hours ago, Loipz said:

Debating Jets against Haskins or Raiders against Finley

I actually think it's a coinflip. This week, lean Raiders but likely close. Jets have a good wait and see schedule despite the loss of so many players with softer schedules so I went that way this week to do just that -- hold and see. Not sure Raiders are dependable after this week given their schedule.

And what makes me nervous about the Raiders this week -- how they respond to losing some pretty key pieces in the secondary (Joyner and Joseph). Raiders were already very weak against the pass, so nothing has changed there, but there is added volatility where we pretty much know what we have in a depleted Jets D squad who actually performed well last week.

I'm considering going with the Jets (@Was) over NE (@Phi) 😲 😬- NE carried my team through Week 8 but I don't like their schedule going forward (not that I'm dropping them).  I played the Jets last week, but NE wasn't available....hummmm

• Thinking 1

5 minutes ago, Down Under said:

I'm considering going with the Jets (@Was) over NE (@Phi) 😲 😬- NE carried my team through Week 8 but I don't like their schedule going forward (not that I'm dropping them).  I played the Jets last week, but NE wasn't available....hummmm

Who are you afraid of on the Eagles? They have zero healthy receivers. 

8 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

I actually think it's a coinflip. This week, lean Raiders but likely close. Jets have a good wait and see schedule despite the loss of so many players with softer schedules so I went that way this week to do just that -- hold and see. Not sure Raiders are dependable after this week given their schedule.

And what makes me nervous about the Raiders this week -- how they respond to losing some pretty key pieces in the secondary (Joyner and Joseph). Raiders were already very weak against the pass, so nothing has changed there, but there is added volatility where we pretty much know what we have in a depleted Jets D squad who actually performed well last week.

I tried getting them but was outbid. I may just roll Panthers but reeeeeally wanna do the Jets. For the record I played Miami over Panthers last week so maybe I’m just feeling myself a bit

I dropped the Saints for the Rams. Was holding the Jets but when they shat the bed vs Miami I dumped them. Might pick them back up after this week for the stretch run. But I can live with the Rams this weekend against the Bears who actually don’t turn the ball over much but can’t score. 

2 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

Who are you afraid of on the Eagles? They have zero healthy receivers. 

Mmmm....it's not the Eagles offense per se, but the Eagles are a much better team than Wash. and less likely to turn it over 5 times, unlike the bottom of the barrel Skins/HaSkins.  But D points are difficult to predict.

I have Pittsburgh for the rest of the year. Their sched? @Cle, @Cin, Cle, @Ari, Buf, NYJ.

Looks juicy, right?

But somehow I'm leaving the Jets on the wire this week, and Haskins and the Redskins look so bad, I'm thinking of dropping Pittsburgh. 

I have Pittsburgh for the rest of the year. Their sched? @Cle, @Cin, Cle, @Ari, Buf, NYJ.

Looks juicy, right?

But somehow I'm leaving the Jets on the wire this week, and Haskins and the Redskins look so bad, I'm thinking of dropping Pittsburgh. 

10 hours ago, rockaction said:

Looks juicy, right?

I have both and am leaning Jets.  Browns have more potential for scoring than the Redskins.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bcat01 said:

I have both and am leaning Jets.  Browns have more potential for scoring than the Redskins.

I dropped Mostert who I'd claimed from dropping Hoyer and added the Jets. I'm going with the Jets, because I was impressed with Kareem Hunt's return and what it meant for the Cleveland offense against a tough Buffalo D. Pitt is tough, but I wanna see it suss out before I roll them away on short rest against a division rival with Mason at QB.

• Like 1

Trying to decide between Buffalo and San Francisco. The 49ers have looked great at times, but injuries are piling up. And the Bills play at Miami, but I feel like Miami isn't quite as bad as they were a month ago...and Buffalo isn't quite as good, either. 

1 hour ago, IheartGuinness said:

Trying to decide between Buffalo and San Francisco. The 49ers have looked great at times, but injuries are piling up. And the Bills play at Miami, but I feel like Miami isn't quite as bad as they were a month ago...and Buffalo isn't quite as good, either. 

This all sounds correct. The 49ers are banged up with a top linebacker and defensive end out. Miami isn't as bad as they were, and last time Buffalo played them they scored 11 points for D/ST and that was with a touchdown.

The only thing that gives me pause is that Kyler Murray is really playing well and Fitzpatrick can be al over the place.

Not sure if there is another thread for this.......but what defenses are you looking at for the playoffs, weeks 14, 15 & 16?

6 minutes ago, robb said:

Not sure if there is another thread for this.......but what defenses are you looking at for the playoffs, weeks 14, 15 & 16?

no problem doing it here, but here is a thread with some info: https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/781939-sos-strength-of-schedule-thread-for-the-remainder-of-the-2019-fantasy-football-season/

16 hours ago, Down Under said:

I am right there with you, buddy, deciding between the Jets and NE. 

Picked up the Jets for their great scheduling pairing, but dropped them after barely cracking 6 points against MIA a few weeks ago in Week 9. Then picked them back up as even discounting the TD, they were getting pressure, sacks, and INT opportunities last week.

In that same week 9, NE was up against BAL, and barely cracked 2 points.

I think there is a great shot NE plays stout against an up-and-down PHI team, but in the world of variability, I think the Jets have a better shot at outpacing NE in points against a WAS team who hasn't cracked 17 points since week 2, and have averaged 8.6 points per game (and only 18 ppg including WKs 1 & 2 where they scored >20).

I think the Skins can score 20 or more in this weekend's game, and actually win.

I also think PHI can score more than 25 and also potentially win this one.

So leaning towards the Jets, as weak in the knees as that makes me.

Raiders might be another option I'd look at for this week v CIN, and if they do well, hold for the following week against the Jets. They are just as super thin, esp. in the secondary, but at least look like they are playing with real inspiration.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

I am right there with you, buddy, deciding between the Jets and NE. 

Picked up the Jets for their great scheduling pairing, but dropped them after barely cracking 6 points against MIA a few weeks ago in Week 9. Then picked them back up as even discounting the TD, they were getting pressure, sacks, and INT opportunities last week.

In that same week 9, NE was up against BAL, and barely cracked 2 points.

I think there is a great shot NE plays stout against an up-and-down PHI team, but in the world of variability, I think the Jets have a better shot at outpacing NE in points against a WAS team who hasn't cracked 17 points since week 2, and have averaged 8.6 points per game (and only 18 ppg including WKs 1 & 2 where they scored >20).

I think the Skins can score 20 or more in this weekend's game, and actually win.

I also think PHI can score more than 25 and also potentially win this one.

So leaning towards the Jets, as weak in the knees as that makes me.

Raiders might be another option I'd look at for this week v CIN, and if they do well, hold for the following week against the Jets. They are just as super thin, esp. in the secondary, but at least look like they are playing with real inspiration.

The Raiders D is my first choice on waivers tonight and Jets second.   I'm going Raiders because the Bengals are the worst team and I should be able to use the Raiders again since their schedule looks pretty easy.   I have Jax in now against Indy but Indy normally plays solid, well-coached ball.     

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

The Raiders D is my first choice on waivers tonight and Jets second.   I'm going Raiders because the Bengals are the worst team and I should be able to use the Raiders again since their schedule looks pretty easy.   I have Jax in now against Indy but Indy normally plays solid, well-coached ball.     

I am really trying to figure out who has the easier schedule.

Here's how I see it:

Raiders: Cin  @NYJ  @KC  Ten  Jac  @LAC

Jets: @Was  Oak  @Cin  Mia  @Bal  Pit

9 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

I think the Skins can score 20 or more in this weekend's game, and actually win

One word: Haskins.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rockaction said:

One word: Haskins.

LOL, true enough. 

Here's another word for you: Finley.

Which opposing D would you rather start against these words?

Just now, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

LOL, true enough. 

Here's another word for you: Finley.

Which opposing D would you rather start against these words?

Jets and Oakland both got pressure last game and each had a defensive TD.

I had the choice. I thought Haskins looked so bad this year I picked the Jets. We will see. Regardless, I'm glad I picked them up and benched Pittsburgh's D tonight. I didn't like the road, the short week, nor the match-up.

1 minute ago, rockaction said:

Jets and Oakland both got pressure last game and each had a defensive TD.

I had the choice. I thought Haskins looked so bad this year I picked the Jets. We will see. Regardless, I'm glad I picked them up and benched Pittsburgh's D tonight. I didn't like the road, the short week, nor the match-up.

PITT has 7.75 in my league's scoring -- poorish but not disastrous, so looks like you made a great call -- nicely done!

If your instinct is right in benching PIT and starting NYJ, I may just follow you into the Gang Green fray.

1 minute ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

PITT has 7.75 in my league's scoring -- poorish but not disastrous, so looks like you made a great call -- nicely done!

If your instinct is right in benching PIT and starting NYJ, I may just follow you into the Gang Green fray.

Pittsburgh has 2 in mine. Let's hope the Jets don't wind up with -4 or something like that. I can just see it...

40 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Pittsburgh has 2 in mine. Let's hope the Jets don't wind up with -4 or something like that. I can just see it...

I had a discussion with a good buddy a few nights ago, and we discuss a bunch of FF players and value.

He was "stoked" to have the PITT defense in several leagues, and I had dropped them in either 2 of the 3, or in all three leagues after week 6. (They had a week 7 bye) I'm not particularly fond of holding "less than true elite"  defenses on bye weeks.  I figured they would have a strong showing vs the Dolphins in week 8, but look at their numbers overall.

Going in to this week, they were being talked about as a top 2-3 defense.

They had a 19 point week in week 4, which was CINCY.  (We could foresee that as being a good week)

Then they got 14 points in week 6 vs. the CHARGERS.  God knows which Philip Rivers shows up on any day. It could be great or crushing to the opposing defense.

In week 9 they picked up 19 again vs. the BRIAN HOYER led COLTS.

Week 10 they nailed the RAMS for 25 points.    GOFF has been brutal this year....again no shocker

Anyway, the point of this story, is I told my buddy early this week that "the defense is a bit of a mirage, they are not as good as you think".  Sure they have played a bit above their head at times, but when you look back at 4 of their better weeks, then you see the "excuse" for them to have some of those big games when they did.

I know they have Cincy again next week, but I don't think they are the "must start" from here on like others have said.  Other than Cincy next week, I'd be looking elsewhere honestly.... with a possible spot start week 15 vs. BUFFALO.

EDIT- To add that our league is either standard defensive scoring, or close to it, I can't remember offhand.

TZM

Edited by TZMarkie
Scoring note.............
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Cobbler1 said:

Sweet stashed the Browns in every league for week 12 against Miami and now that idiot Garrett is gonna get suspended 

LMAO I did the same thing. Stashed them, happy to see 16 points on my bench, now thinking about dropping them. They had Miami & Cincy coming up on the schedule in the next 3 weeks. Still might use them.

I have Rams Def for tonight, but starting to consider Oak Def instead. Cin has no WRs, a porous OL and a rookie QB in his 2nd start.  Trubisky started looking decent last week,and if Montgomery is out tonight, Trub will be airing it out more.

I see positives and negatives with each one.  I just think Cin has fewer playmakers on offense which should allow Oak Def to shine again this week.

2 minutes ago, VikingFrog said:

San Fran with late game heroics to save the fantasy day.

And now the tough part of their schedule comes. Unfortunately i may need to stick with them as nothing worthy at all is available on the ww. Do I really wanna start Cleveland def vs Miami or Detroit defense vs Washington over them? I don't think I can. 

5 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

And now the tough part of their schedule comes. Unfortunately i may need to stick with them as nothing worthy at all is available on the ww. Do I really wanna start Cleveland def vs Miami or Detroit defense vs Washington over them? I don't think I can. 

I’m probably riding them next week. They’ve played some tough teams well. Until they put up a true stinker, I’m in.

They bring pressure and force turnovers. 

On 11/14/2019 at 10:54 PM, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

I am really trying to figure out who has the easier schedule.

Here's how I see it:

Raiders: Cin  @NYJ  @KC  Ten  Jac  @LAC

Jets: @Was  Oak  @Cin  Mia  @Bal  Pit

Jets.

Pgh has serious tire fire potential by the end of the season the way things are going.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

Oakland did OK against Cincy, but, is Darnold warming up enough to make an impact against them next week? 

Oak doesn't have a lot of talent on D but they play pretty well as a unit.   I probably have to roll with the Raiders D this week but I'm not expecting much.   The Jets will likely score over 25 points but hopefully Darned throws a pick and takes a few sacks.