Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

2020 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread

6 hours ago, C-Bound said:

Everyone staying away from the Jets this week?  I have them locked in but KC is also available...

Dropped them -- I personally can't trust them. If you want to gamble, just monitor Adams -- if he's out, I'd stay far away.

7 hours ago, robb said:

Alright, better play this Week 14?:

Houston def vs. Denver (new rookie QB)

Dallas def vs. Chicago (Thursday night)

Minnesota def vs. Detroit (no real QB)

I'm going with Houston this week.  Lock started last week gunslinging but turned into a game manager in the second quarter probably because he was playing with a lead.  He had 1 interception and nearly had a second interception.  If he is playing from behind, I could see him having a game with a lot of interceptions.  He could end up with a lot of yardage and points but my leagues mostly just give points to defenses for turnovers and sacks.

• Like 1

Was leaning Phi D vs NYG but with Eli back is Bal D at Buf the better play? Buffalo has been legit. 

8 hours ago, Don Hutson said:

I'm going with Houston this week.  Lock started last week gunslinging but turned into a game manager in the second quarter probably because he was playing with a lead.  He had 1 interception and nearly had a second interception.  If he is playing from behind, I could see him having a game with a lot of interceptions.  He could end up with a lot of yardage and points but my leagues mostly just give points to defenses for turnovers and sacks.

Me too

Nobody has faith in Tennessee this week?  They're @ OAK who have been giving up a ton of points to opposing D's the last 3 games (7 turnovers and 2 TD's).  I'm thinking of ditching PHI for them.

I have NE (KC), whom I'd rather not play.  My only other choices are:

KC (@NE)

NYG (@Phi)

Dal (@Chi)

Phi (NYG)

Sea (@LAR)

I'm leaning towards Phi (Manning does not really impact that decision except maybe make it even better).  2nd choice is Dal.

31 minutes ago, Broncobiv said:

Nobody has faith in Tennessee this week?  They're @ OAK who have been giving up a ton of points to opposing D's the last 3 games (7 turnovers and 2 TD's).  I'm thinking of ditching PHI for them.

TN should be a solid choice.  Oakland has no WRs.   Carr is average.  

17 hours ago, TedyBruschi said:

Philly D a play with Eli?

I picked up HOU but haven’t really been impressed with them.   

5 hours ago, GoBirds said:

Was leaning Phi D vs NYG but with Eli back is Bal D at Buf the better play? Buffalo has been legit. 

after seeing Phi's play last week, I was very hesitant on playing them this week. 

Now, with Eli starting, I'm definitely not using them. Eil is more of a game manager & I don't see him turning it over as much as Jones would have

I was feeling pretty great and smart rostering Philly and the Jets prior to last week. Today, not so much. Pickings are slim on the wire, so I’ll probably hold my nose and hope the Eagles play with some pride at home in prime time game. 

Edited by Man In The Box

On 11/28/2019 at 8:41 AM, kyoun1e said:

Anyone know where you can find data on the degree to which not only a defense is generating sacks but also pressure in general?

Looking to go beyond the basic scoring data to stash some Ds for the playoff stretch.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/opp.htm?utm_source=Stathead&utm_campaign=69ba3f3d7b-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_11_15_03_02&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d63d7393a0-69ba3f3d7b-449640845#advanced_defense::17

• Like 1

You know, i see SF ranked in the 20s everywhere and i get that they are played NO in the dome BUT the Saints LG is OUT and their LT is highly questionable. Dee Ford is back. Brees isnt mobile. 49ers basically shutdown the hottest team in football in the second half last week. Is everyone just ignoring the fact that this a stellar defense and should still be a top 12 play this week?

31 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

You know, i see SF ranked in the 20s everywhere and i get that they are played NO in the dome BUT the Saints LG is OUT and their LT is highly questionable. Dee Ford is back. Brees isnt mobile. 49ers basically shutdown the hottest team in football in the second half last week. Is everyone just ignoring the fact that this a stellar defense and should still be a top 12 play this week?

I've been seeing the same thing and I think it's really underselling just how good this defense is.  Brees isn't playing great ball and they are vulnerable. As far as I'm concerned, SF is a top 10 defense every single week outside of playing Baltimore right now. I did bench them last week but I won't do it again.

1 hour ago, shadyridr said:

I’ve been hating their matchup all week, but I’m rolling with them 

Screw it

5 hours ago, shadyridr said:

You have my attention. What about the next 2 weeks? They have Atlanta next week, atl puts up solid point totals of late but some defenses (Atlanta and Tampa have sacked them and forced turnovers) 

49ers were ok against the Rams in round 1.

I'm not going to start the 49ers.  Matchups are too important with fantasy defenses.  The Saints have given up the least fantasy points to opposing defenses this year.  Fantasy defenses have scored an average of 3.6 fantasy points per game against the Saints in a league that doesn't give points for yards and few points for points allowed.  And that number dips below 3 fantasy points per game in games that Brees has played.  The worst teams allow more than 10 fantasy points per game on average.  I'd rather have the high floor that comes when an average defense plays a rookie quarterback.

3 hours ago, Don Hutson said:

I'm not going to start the 49ers.  Matchups are too important with fantasy defenses.  The Saints have given up the least fantasy points to opposing defenses this year.  Fantasy defenses have scored an average of 3.6 fantasy points per game against the Saints in a league that doesn't give points for yards and few points for points allowed.  And that number dips below 3 fantasy points per game in games that Brees has played.  The worst teams allow more than 10 fantasy points per game on average.  I'd rather have the high floor that comes when an average defense plays a rookie quarterback.

The numbers do matter but keep in mind they also had a pretty conservative game managing approach with Bridgewater for a long stretch of this season. Brees has also played against ATL twice, Jax, TB, Arizona, and Houston. Not exactly a gauntlet in respect to defenses this year. Brees isn't afraid to go gunslinger at times and he gets picked. He's had 15 or more INTs in a year 9 times in his career. I can't imagine that being conservative wins either team this game. A game that both teams desperately need for playoff positioning.

Last week I played a marginal defense (Philly) in a must win game for them against the team (Miami) giving up the most DST points per week. This is a no doubter 5-10+ matchup right?Miami scores 37 points and Philly scores 1 pt

Moral of the story for me. I'm playing the great defense in a huge game. No regrets. If I play a marginal defense again in a "great" matchup and that goes south again, I will regret that and beat myself up for not trusting the talented team to prevail, or at the very least, not to completely sh!t the bed.

Edited by Futz
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, TheFatKid said:

You have my attention. What about the next 2 weeks? They have Atlanta next week, atl puts up solid point totals of late but some defenses (Atlanta and Tampa have sacked them and forced turnovers) 

49ers were ok against the Rams in round 1.

Atlanta with its sieve offensive line? No brainer

On 12/5/2019 at 11:37 AM, Broncobiv said:

On 12/5/2019 at 12:09 PM, DocHolliday said:

TN should be a solid choice.  Oakland has no WRs.   Carr is average.  

With Jacobs possibly out and Tenn rolling towards the playoffs.....this is my pick.

Dang...i keep flip-flopping between HOU and BAL this week. 

Houston's matchup is much better, but overall their DST isn't... 

and now @Black and Gold brings up TEN as a very good matchup too... :wall:

15 minutes ago, 4th&inches said:

Dang...i keep flip-flopping between HOU and BAL this week. 

Houston's matchup is much better, but overall their DST isn't... 

Having the same issue but NE instead of Bal. NE hasn't been as good of late but Hou hasn't been good all year aside from 2 games 

I can’t decide between keeping CAR in or picking HOU up off waivers.  Sack friendly scoring, so I think both games are prime for such.  One team certainly has more to play for than the other

On 12/6/2019 at 7:02 PM, Cowboysfan8 said:

I’ve been hating their matchup all week, but I’m rolling with them 

Screw it

Got away with it. Got lucky

Really bad decision lol

Here is a ranking of the Week 15 defenses.  In bold is the defense followed by average points scored.  Next is their opponent and average points allowed to opposing defenses.  Lastly, the two numbers added together and the teams ranked accordingly.  Scoring is 0pt=5, 1-5pt=2, 6-10pt=1, TD=6, FR=2, Int=2, Sack=1, Safety=2.

Patriots (12.1) at Bengals (9.1) = 21.2

49ers (9.9) vs Falcons (7.9) = 17.8

Steelers (10.9) vs Bills (6.4) =17.3

Ravens (8.2) vs Jets (8.9) = 17.1

Seahawks (7.8) at Panthers (8.5) = 16.3

Panthers (7.5) vs Seahawks (8.6) = 16.1

Giants (6.1) vs Dolphins (9.8) = 15.9

Lions (5.4) vs Buccaneers (10.5) = 15.9

Buccaneers (7.9) at Lions (6.7) = 14.6

Titans (7.9) vs Texans (6.4) = 14.3

Saints (8.0) vs Colts (6.2) = 14.2

Browns (6.2) at Cardinals (8.0) 14.2

Eagles (6.2) at Redskins (7.8) 14.0

Chiefs (7.5) vs Broncos (6.2) = 13.7

Redskins (6.7) vs Eagles (6.6) 13.3

Vikings (6.9) at Chargers (6.3) = 13.2

Dolphins (3.5) at Giants (9.7) = 13.2

Rams (8.3) at Cowboys (4.0) = 12.3

Bills (6.3) at Steelers (5.9) = 12.2

Cardinals (4.7) vs Browns (7.3) = 12.0

Cowboys (5.4) vs Rams (6.4) = 11.8

Raiders (5.2) vs Jaguars (6.6) = 11.8

Jets (7.5) at Ravens (4.2) = 11.7

Texans (5.1) at Titans (6.6) = 11.7

Jaguars (5.9) at Raiders (5.5) = 11.4

Packers (5.5) vs Bears (5.4) 10.9

Falcons (4.6) at 49ers (6.2) = 10.8

Bears (5.9) at Packers (3.9) = 9.8

Bengals (4.2) vs Patriots (5.6) = 9.8

Colts (6.2) at Saints (3.5) = 9.7

Broncos (5.4) at Chiefs (4.1) = 9.5

Chargers (4.5) vs Vikings (4.2) = 8.7

Edited by Don Hutson
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Had been holding the PHI D for next week's matchup @WASH. After last night, not so sure. That secondary is brutal. Plus, it's a division game in WASH and I could see that team fighting. PHI offense probably not going to do their defense any favors either minus any WR talent. (Glad I have Ertz...cool story).

Also holding KC D vs DEN. Lock has looked impressive, but my gut is telling me that KC at home with a lot on the line could mean a tough spot for the rookie.

And have SEA @CAR. SEA looked terrible against the Rams. That said, CAR may be mailing it in now with Rivera gone.

Three decent options. Probably wont decide until 12:55 Sunday. 

15 hours ago, kyoun1e said:

Had been holding the PHI D for next week's matchup @WASH. After last night, not so sure. That secondary is brutal. Plus, it's a division game in WASH and I could see that team fighting.

Earlier in the season Washington could be expected not to put up a fight. Then they fired Gruden, put Callahan in as interim HC, have cut down on their stupid penalties, changed who's getting how much playing time, and generally played more disciplined and inspired football. They're not any good yet, but the team now is led on the field by younger players and castoffs who just don't quit. So yeah, they'll fight. And not roll over like they used to do under Gruden.

Niners are banged up but coming home after 2 tough road games. Falcons traveling West with a sieve o line. Offense should dominate time of possession. 

Eagles D can’t be trusted but going against Haskins, who a buck fifty is a big game. Tough call in my semi 

8 hours ago, fatness said:

Earlier in the season Washington could be expected not to put up a fight. Then they fired Gruden, put Callahan in as interim HC, have cut down on their stupid penalties, changed who's getting how much playing time, and generally played more disciplined and inspired football. They're not any good yet, but the team now is led on the field by younger players and castoffs who just don't quit. So yeah, they'll fight. And not roll over like they used to do under Gruden.

Yeah agree.

I could see Haskins hooking up with McLaurin here among other things. And the PHI offense is so clunky I don't see them dominating time of possession.

Turning my attention to SEA (@CAR) or KC (vs DEN). Both have flies I'm not comfortable with.

12 hours ago, fatness said:

This seems right, but they still have been a safe offense to play against recently. No big games, but steady 7-8 ppg. They give up sacks and don’t have enough good players to score much.

• Like 1

FWIW, I had to decide between Philly, BUF, SEA, and KC for my DST this week and am rolling with KC. 

• PHI - sure they stiffened up in the 2nd half, but there's no way I can trust them
  • BUF - have been a fairly solid D, but will be @ PIT and Juju & Conner look to be back
  • SEA - probably my toughest call, but it's tough to bet against CMC and SEA's offense hasn't exactly looked great lately; meaning their defense has the potential to be on the field a lot

At least this is my $0.02

42 minutes ago, 4th&inches said:

FWIW, I had to decide between Philly, BUF, SEA, and KC for my DST this week and am rolling with KC. 

• PHI - sure they stiffened up in the 2nd half, but there's no way I can trust them
  • BUF - have been a fairly solid D, but will be @ PIT and Juju & Conner look to be back
  • SEA - probably my toughest call, but it's tough to bet against CMC and SEA's offense hasn't exactly looked great lately; meaning their defense has the potential to be on the field a lot

KC would probably be my last choice of those 4. Lock looks pretty good and teams can typically run on KC. Meanwhile KC's offense is not the juggernaut they have been in the past to force opponents to pass.

I'd rank them: SEA (Allen is a disaster), BUF (great def vs Duck Hodges), PHI (Was is atrocious), KC

On 12/10/2019 at 8:06 AM, shadyridr said:

I'm stashing Denver defense for week 16, home vs Detroit

Along those lines, TB game vs. Detroit this week  could be a turnover fest in both directions.

Edited by Leroy Hoard
  • Thinking 1

3 hours ago, 4th&inches said:

BUF is the best NFL D on the list. Not sure they really score that well in fantasy, but they are the best D on that list. For fantasy, I like KC the rest of the way. Lock, Mitch, Rivers.

For this week, SEA vs. Car is tempting but I think the Chiefs are the better D right now and I like them at home vs. a rookie. Lock looked good, but he had a couple of passes that could've easily been taken the other way. Chris Jones is playing lights out. Hopefully Frank Clark plays. I've really like what I've seen from KC D lately. Feels like it's coming together for them. KC favored by 9.5 in a huge game at Arrowhead this weekend. Sets up well IMO.

1 hour ago, ericttspikes said:

BUF is the best NFL D on the list. Not sure they really score that well in fantasy, but they are the best D on that list. For fantasy, I like KC the rest of the way. Lock, Mitch, Rivers.

For this week, SEA vs. Car is tempting but I think the Chiefs are the better D right now and I like them at home vs. a rookie. Lock looked good, but he had a couple of passes that could've easily been taken the other way. Chris Jones is playing lights out. Hopefully Frank Clark plays. I've really like what I've seen from KC D lately. Feels like it's coming together for them. KC favored by 9.5 in a huge game at Arrowhead this weekend. Sets up well IMO.

Leaning KC as well. 

SEA D didn't impress me against LAR. SEA also has to travel all the way east and it's not like CAR doesn't have playmakers in CMC, DJ Moore, C. Samuel, and Olsen (who is practicing). 

KC is also strong on the perimeter so they should be ok against Sutton. It's in the middle they're vulnerable but N. Fant is currently a little banged up. Unless Lock is the next great thing, I have a feeling he runs into trouble this week vs. a KC team that looks like it could be peaking (and getting healthier) at the right time.

• Like 1

I planned on playing the Bills this week but these 2 articles posted by Faust were very informative and I picked up Tampa Bay for this week. Also picked up the Colts vs Carolina if I'm able to make it to week 16 championship.

https://www.pff.com/news/fantasy-football-streaming-defenses-week-15-2019

https://www.fantasypros.com/2019/12/lets-stream-defenses-week-15-2019-fantasy-football/

Steelers in one. Niners in the other. I'm ride or die with these. No other matchups I trust.

13 hours ago, 4th&inches said:

I went with Philly (picked them up before Giants game) over KC. The movable object meets the resistible force. I just hope they get enough in turnovers/sacks to be worth it vs Was. 

I've got BALT and PITT.  Each faces the NYJ in the next two weeks.  Assuming I make it to the championship, am I in a good spot right now?   I think/hope.

I thought I had it all figured out with Philly, but they were so abysmal this week that I'm having second thoughts. I also have Buffalo, and I grabbed KC off the WW.

I feel like KC is finally gaining some momentum. And Drew Lock is going to regress now that other teams have game film of him.

9 hours ago, xenon said:

I've got BALT and PITT.  Each faces the NYJ in the next two weeks.  Assuming I make it to the championship, am I in a good spot right now?   I think/hope.

The Pburgh D is solid.