What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (6 Viewers)

I am carrying two currently. Saints and Rams. They matchup pretty well together over the next few weeks and into the playoffs.
I have this combo. Last Sunday morning I added the Chiefs to cover WK 13.

No wrong answer but having a hard time deciding between the Rams and the Saints for this week. The trend is your friend, so leaning New Orleans. IMO LA has a marginally better matchup.

johnnyboy8102 said:
How does everyone else feel about the Chiefs D this week? 
Not feeling it. O/U is 54 and Goff (who came in playing horrible) just torched them. While TB might throw one to the wrong team - a pick six is always on the table this year when facing the Bucs - could easily be a 34-31 kind of game that wrecks the fantasy outlook for either D.

Have the Rams and thinking of adding the Texans...would yield these matchups

week 13 Rams vs SF

week 14 Texans vs Chi

week 15 Rams vs Jets

week 16 Texans vs Bengals

Have the Rams and thinking of adding the Texans...would yield these matchups

week 13 Rams vs SF

week 14 Texans vs Chi

week 15 Rams vs Jets

week 16 Texans vs Bengals
Rams have SF this week, Zona week 13, which is not good. Texans have Colts next week, which also isn’t great. 
But I see your point, and it’s an interesting play. I’m a Rams owner as well looking for a 2nd option for the playoffs. I’m not afraid of the Rams week 14 matchup vs the Pats, but week 16 at Seattle is a problem (despite how they did in the first matchup). Texans catching Cincy there is a great matchup. If Mixon is back by then they would get a downgrade though. Problem is I have my doubts whether Texans can take advantage of a slam dunk matchup. They really are a bad defense, but they did handle a bad Lions team yesterday so who knows. It’s not a bad play.

I think I deeper league/sleeper play could be the Cardinals. 

They most likely will score a lot and Cam will have to throw to keep pace. The Patriots left tackle was just ruled out. 

FBG pretty high on Packers v. Bears this week. With Steelers looking like they may not play, maybe pack worth a one week pickup?
I’m never a big fan of “they’ve played like crap all year but have a great matchup” plug n plays. In the six games since their bye week, they have 9 sacks and 6 turnovers.

Among lightly held teams, I like Seattle (55%) - 16 sacks their last four - or Arizona (20%), who has 4 multiple turnover games and facing a depleted Pats team.

Anyone else crazy enough to use Philly? 

Wilson has been sacked 33 times this season and has thrown 10 INTs. Seattle will score their points but this could be a solid matchup. 

Anyone else crazy enough to use Philly? 

Wilson has been sacked 33 times this season and has thrown 10 INTs. Seattle will score their points but this could be a solid matchup. 
No chance. Used that fraudulent D in a supposedly great matchup vs Gmen  few weeks ago and it cost me a win. Whatever you think of Russ’s turnover trends lately, don’t forget that Wentz is going to have the Eagles D defending short fields due to his horrible play. I wouldn’t even consider that play.

Well it’s saints now since Mia locked, but the concern is that Denver is going to be so conservative that there is really limited upside
Understandable,  it aim expecting an epic breakdown, chaos, confusion, and disarray.

I’m also confident Vic Fangio is as dumb as we suspect. He will end this year wishing he had stayed a well respected DC. Dude is so far outside of his element.

Used the Rams Weeks 4-8 and the Saints 9-12.

Took out a one week rental on the Chiefs this week due to matchups.    

LAR @ ARI 

NOS @ ATL

KCC VS DEN

KC doesn’t get to the QB very often (14 sacks) but 8 games with multiple turnovers. Presumably the Broncos won’t go 1/9 13 0-2 at QB but still a juicy setup.

Tempted to do the same. Already have NO (@ATL) and SEA (vs NYG).

I have no read on the LV D. Are they really any good? 

The NYJ have been miserable but they are showing signs of life on offense. Mims/Crowder/Perriman not too shabby.
I am a Raider fan, and wouldn't trust the D even against the Jets. Outside of Crosby they lack pass rush and have a bottom tier blitz %, and are very variable (and mostly poor) at generating turnovers and INTs. 

I think the Raiders come angry to this game after getting absolutely embarrassed by the Falcons, and will be seeking revenge for both that game and the game they lost in an equally spectacularly embarrassing fashion to the Jets around this time last year. It's a true must-win if they want to keep playoff hopes alive.

So I think the potential is there, I'm just not sure if I'd trust them over potential other options.

I have MIAMI in 4/4 leagues, and in one I have THE SAINTS as well. (I need to win weeks 13 AND 14 to try and back in to the playoffs in that league)

Anyhow, I have noticed that SAN FRAN is on the wire in 3/4 of the leagues I'm in, I picked them up in 1 already.

Their early playoff schedule looks like this.

WEEK 14 @home vs WAS

Week 15 @ DALLAS

Do any of you love these matchups?  I'm debating on snagging them and benching MIAMI ( AFTER this week vs. Cincy)  then rolling out SF everywhere.

You can always figure out week 16 when and if the time comes.

MIAMI has been great on and off all season, but 14-15-16 looks like this.......... KC - NE- LV and thats not exactly appealing. I think I'd much prefer rolling out SF in 14-15.

Thoughts????

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
I have MIAMI in 4/4 leagues, and in one I have THE SAINTS as well. (I need to win weeks 13 AND 14 to try and back in to the playoffs in that league)

Anyhow, I have noticed that SAN FRAN is on the wire in 3/4 of the leagues I'm in, I picked them up in 1 already.

Their early playoff schedule looks like this.

WEEK 14 @home vs WAS

Week 15 @ DALLAS

Do any of you love these matchups?  I'm debating on snagging them and benching MIAMI ( AFTER this week vs. Cincy)  then rolling out SF everywhere.

You can always figure out week 16 when and if the time comes.

MIAMI has been great on and off all season, but 14-15-16 looks like this.......... KC - NE- LV and thats not exactly appealing. I think I'd much prefer rolling out SF in 14-15.

Thoughts????

TZM
I have NO and I'm trying to get SEA tonight in waivers.

My plan B for sure is SF. Ideally, I'd secure both SEA and SF, but I doubt I'll be so lucky. SF should clear waivers since the BUF matchup this week has them projected as a low scoring D. Most in my league aren't going to be thinking too far ahead since they're scrapping for a win this week to get into the playoffs.

I am a Raider fan, and wouldn't trust the D even against the Jets. Outside of Crosby they lack pass rush and have a bottom tier blitz %, and are very variable (and mostly poor) at generating turnovers and INTs. 

I think the Raiders come angry to this game after getting absolutely embarrassed by the Falcons, and will be seeking revenge for both that game and the game they lost in an equally spectacularly embarrassing fashion to the Jets around this time last year. It's a true must-win if they want to keep playoff hopes alive.

So I think the potential is there, I'm just not sure if I'd trust them over potential other options.
LV D is the 2nd ranked available D on my wire (after SEA). 

Would think LV comes out with their heads on straight here after an embarrassing loss. That said, they are flying to the east coast and the NYJ have actually shown some spunk lately. Gore keeps pounding away and Mims/Perriman/Crowder haven't been too shabby. However, Darnold seems like a lock to give the ball to LV at least a couple times.

See something like a 28-23 win by LV where they don't get a ton of points for pts or yards, but probably get a couple turnovers. Maybe a D TD.

Also interested in LV D because I'm eyeballing Mims to replace my Will Fuller with Evans on bye. 

Arizona v Philly in week 15 looks good to me;

Houston v Cincy in week 16 as well.  

Both are home games, both are against questionable offenses, and both D's should be available to stream in 12 team leagues.

Blitzburgh is a plug n' play. Not used to not streaming. I did pick up SEA off of FA waiver wire just in case that PIT - BAL game got cancelled. 

SEA has a decent schedule and probably a top 10 play these next couple weeks.

Week 13 NYG at SEA (solid play with Jones likely out)

Week 14 NYJ at SEA (Turnover machine)

There's no way to hold a second D unless there's nobody I hit with a waiver wire pick up from the likes of Gore, Booker, Landry, or D Parker - yep, someone dropped Parker last week. In other words I am not in a big hurry to drop SEA unless I get an upgrade. 

Overthinking?

Grabbed KC a few weeks ago when there owner dropped them for the bye. Have the Rams-Saints combo, which has actually been LAR WKs 4-8 then NOS WKs 9-12. Obviously, have gotten great scoring from my DST all year.

BUT...been staring at Week 13 forever thinking Imma have to look elsewhere. This, Chiefs and the odd experience of carrying 3 Ds (who needs depth at this point tbh....1 QB/TE/K 4-5 WRs and as many RB lottery tickets as can collect)

Now I am looking at how well the Rams and Saints are playing IRL and scoring great on FF and wondering why I’m carrying the Broncos. I guess of nothing else, keep them so someone else doesn’t get a freebie.

(locked into #4 seed, this week is meaningless)

KC VS DEN (2nd most FFPA to DST)

LAR @ ARI (5th fewest)

NOS @ ATL (9th fewest)

:shrug:

Blitzburgh is a plug n' play. Not used to not streaming. I did pick up SEA off of FA waiver wire just in case that PIT - BAL game got cancelled. 

SEA has a decent schedule and probably a top 10 play these next couple weeks.

Week 13 NYG at SEA (solid play with Jones likely out)

Week 14 NYJ at SEA (Turnover machine)

There's no way to hold a second D unless there's nobody I hit with a waiver wire pick up from the likes of Gore, Booker, Landry, or D Parker - yep, someone dropped Parker last week. In other words I am not in a big hurry to drop SEA unless I get an upgrade. 
SEA is like 23rd in our format, 27th in PA, 32nd in YdsA (which we score similar to PA.) Ladt week was the first time all year they hit double digit. But obviously the next two weeks are about as juicy as it gets.

Browns DST just dropped in my league. I have a week 14 bye secured. They worth the remainder of my FAAB for their playoff schedule (I have Arizona now)?

49ers may be rounding back into shape. Sherman is back and I think a few others that went down earlier this year. The D has not been great for fantasy this year, but they've been top 10 in real world football. Crushed the Rams last week. Maybe the return of some playmakers will shift their fantasy fortunes.

13 vs Bills

14 vs FootballTeam

15 at Cowboys

16 at Cardinals

49ers may be rounding back into shape. Sherman is back and I think a few others that went down earlier this year. The D has not been great for fantasy this year, but they've been top 10 in real world football. Crushed the Rams last week. Maybe the return of some playmakers will shift their fantasy fortunes.

13 vs Bills

14 vs FootballTeam

15 at Cowboys

16 at Cardinals
Yup. I think SF is trending in the right direction as a whole. They are getting healthy on offense (which will help the defense) as well as getting healthy on the defensive side. That said, avoiding this week against BUF but will definitely consider in weeks 14 and 15. Week 16 may be an option if AZ keeps trending down.

This week I'm torn between NO and KC. Was all set to start NO against ATL, but CB Jenkins is out, Lattimore seems iffy, and both Julio and Gurley look like they may play. In addition, it feels like the wheels are coming off for T. Hill while ATL seems to be playing with some fight lately. Also, I expected a lot more from the NO D last week against a QB less Denver team.

KC clobbered DEN previously and is a massive favorite at home. Could see Lock giving it away a bit trying to come back.

Currently have Saints and Seahawks.  I'll be starting Seahawks this week.  If Gaskins gets activated I'll need to drop somebody and Saints might be the choice.  49ers and Browns are both currently on the WW so good chance I can pick up somebody next week.  Schedules below with good matchups in bold, bad matchups underlined.  I don't really view Washington or Giants (with Jones back) as matchups to target - I'd consider them more neutral.

Seahawks - 14 home vs. Jets, 15 at Washington, 16 home vs Rams

Saints - 14 at Eagles, 15 home vs. Chiefs, 16 home vs. Vikings

49ers - 14 home vs Washington, 15 at Cowboys, 16 at Cardinals (will that be like a home game now?  )

Browns - 14 home vs Ravens, 15 at Giants, 16 at Jets

Yup. I think SF is trending in the right direction as a whole. They are getting healthy on offense (which will help the defense) as well as getting healthy on the defensive side. That said, avoiding this week against BUF but will definitely consider in weeks 14 and 15. Week 16 may be an option if AZ keeps trending down.

This week I'm torn between NO and KC. Was all set to start NO against ATL, but CB Jenkins is out, Lattimore seems iffy, and both Julio and Gurley look like they may play. In addition, it feels like the wheels are coming off for T. Hill while ATL seems to be playing with some fight lately. Also, I expected a lot more from the NO D last week against a QB less Denver team.

KC clobbered DEN previously and is a massive favorite at home. Could see Lock giving it away a bit trying to come back.
Lattimore was not on the practice report all week and does not have an injury designation - what makes you think he is iffy?

Lattimore was not on the practice report all week and does not have an injury designation - what makes you think he is iffy?
Well, it's a combo of him previously being injured and maybe there's some lingering here, but also he just hasn't been the shutdown CB of the past.

Does Tua starting have a negative impact on the Dolphins Defense? Not sure if there is anything to read into here. 
If it's true that the line didn't move with the Tua news, then it seems like it shouldn't affect the D much.

Their opponent being the Bengals probably negates many of the variables about their D today.

Don't know how. Don't know why.

But CLE is now sitting on the wire.

With a bye in the first week of the playoffs, looking ahead to weeks 15 and 16 I can't see a better D facing the Giants and Jets.

Would you shed one of MIA (facing NE and LV which could be wildcards despite MIA being stout) or TB (on the road against both ATL and DET)?

Or shed handcuff/depth RBs like Booker or Edmonds?

Seems like shedding one of the Ds is a better move to preserve depth as I am likely to ride CLE (if I can land them) but wouldn't want to face those Ds in the playoffs.

Don't know how. Don't know why.

But CLE is now sitting on the wire.

With a bye in the first week of the playoffs, looking ahead to weeks 15 and 16 I can't see a better D facing the Giants and Jets.

Would you shed one of MIA (facing NE and LV which could be wildcards despite MIA being stout) or TB (on the road against both ATL and DET)?

Or shed handcuff/depth RBs like Booker or Edmonds?

Seems like shedding one of the Ds is a better move to preserve depth as I am likely to ride CLE (if I can land them) but wouldn't want to face those Ds in the playoffs.
You know your league better than I do but carrying 3 defenses seems excessive.

At this point I don't see you starting Edmonds though. So I suppose he is an option. I would keep Booker over him.

I do think Cleveland is a good defense but Tampa vs Detroit or Cleveland vs the Jets. Both are pretty juicy. The week 15 match ups look worse than week 16 for these 3 defenses so would you rather start Miami vs NE or Cleveland vs the Giants?

I think if you decide who you want to start each of these two weeks that can make your decision and you don't need the 3rd defense unless you want to do that to block your opponent from access to them.

I think if you decide who you want to start each of these two weeks that can make your decision and you don't need the 3rd defense unless you want to do that to block your opponent from access to them.
I would pick up Cleveland against the Jets.   It doesn’t get better than that.   The Browns are surging.  The Jets are tanking.  Drop a D and keep that RB depth.  

Secured a bye but now struggling with week 15 options. 

I've got SF (@DAL) and NO (vs KC). The SF matchup isn't bad, but don't think it's great either...was actually impressed how well Dalton moved the ball last night against BALT. No way I'm starting NO against KC but going to hang onto them just in case I need them week 16 vs. MN.

That leaves:

* AZ vs PHI -- Could be a bonanza if Hurts is still starting and clearly a mess along with the rest of PHI.

* NE @MIA -- Think NE D is coming on and Tua is scaring nobody. That offense is clunky with Tua at the helm.

* NYG vs CLE -- Best D available, but not a good matchup.

Right now thinking of prioritizing AZ tonight for week 15.

Secured a bye but now struggling with week 15 options. 

I've got SF (@DAL) and NO (vs KC). The SF matchup isn't bad, but don't think it's great either...was actually impressed how well Dalton moved the ball last night against BALT. No way I'm starting NO against KC but going to hang onto them just in case I need them week 16 vs. MN.

That leaves:

* AZ vs PHI -- Could be a bonanza if Hurts is still starting and clearly a mess along with the rest of PHI.

* NE @MIA -- Think NE D is coming on and Tua is scaring nobody. That offense is clunky with Tua at the helm.

* NYG vs CLE -- Best D available, but not a good matchup.

Right now thinking of prioritizing AZ tonight for week 15.
Of course, AZ and NYG grabbed overnight. Managed to snag NE. Now grappling with week 15 options:

* NE @MIA -- NE D coming on. Hoodie vs rookie Tua could pay off.

* SF @DAL -- Not loving this one anymore after Dalton moved the ball fairly well against BALT.

* MIA vs NE -- Just dropped last night. Think their strength is the secondary and I doubt NE runs much.

* BUFF @DEN -- Just dropped. Great matchup. However, on the road and a "sandwich" game between this week's matchup against PIT and the week after against NE. Could see a total flat team flying west.

Leaning NE.

Users who are viewing this thread