Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

2020 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread

This news about Mack's ankle has me even more worried about Chicago this week. But in order to pick up Indy I'd have to drop either Dion Lewis or OJ Howard. Not sure it's worth it, especially since DST is such a crap-shoot to begin with. I think I may just take my chances with Chicago and hope for the best.

If he were ruled out for Sunday, that might shift my calculus. Of course, by that point it would be even harder to find anyone decent on the WW.

So it's looking like Derek Anderson will probably be the starter this week for the Bills.  He hasn't played much for years so I don't know if this will be an upgrade or not.  I'm sure a lot of people are tempted to pick up the Colts this week.  I have Philly going against Carolina or the Bears vs Patriots.  If I had to drop one it would be Philly but the Colts have been terrible on defense so I'm not so sure it will work out despite the Colts ranking for the week.  Any insight on how Derek Anderson may pan out?

Would love Indy, they are the sexy pick, and my brain is screaming yes.

I don't know why my gut is thinking this could backfire as turning out to be "one of those games" that totally backfires.

like the Fins putting up 31 points on the Bears...or like the Jets hanging 42 on this same Indy D. 

Momentum sometimes matters. And sometimes just one variable (Pederson or Anderson not being great) ignores another (Shady is still very good, skill-wise). 

Wondering if a team like the Broncs provides less risk due to lower variance in potential outcome.

43 minutes ago, zftcg said:

I seem to remember earlier in his career that Peterson had a rep as a fumbler, though I admit I have no idea if he's improved in recent years.

Sometimes perception colors reality and I could be wrong. Let me check pro-football-reference.  He has notoriously fumbled according to a Google search. He was just such a good back, I assumed that wasn't the case. I was wrong. 

It's even an Onion article, according to a quick search. 

My bad. 

Thanks for correcting that.  

39 minutes ago, elshagon said:

So it's looking like Derek Anderson will probably be the starter this week for the Bills.  He hasn't played much for years so I don't know if this will be an upgrade or not.  I'm sure a lot of people are tempted to pick up the Colts this week.  I have Philly going against Carolina or the Bears vs Patriots.  If I had to drop one it would be Philly but the Colts have been terrible on defense so I'm not so sure it will work out despite the Colts ranking for the week.  Any insight on how Derek Anderson may pan out?

Hes better than Nate Peterman. Everyone is.

11 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

Bills look like a top option all year & have a good matchup vs INDY

Thought this myself. And while Anderson isn’t great, maybe he doesn’t put them in awful situations as frequently?  Bills have been incredible the last few weeks. 

10 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

Indy's offense is actually middling in terms of PPG (ranking 13th) and not too shabby in total points (11th).

Bills have indeed been surprising in terms of their D, but not sure this is a good match up. 

Just now, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Indy's offense is actually middling in terms of PPG (ranking 13th) and not too shabby in total points (11th).

Bills have indeed been surprising in terms of their D, but not sure this is a good match up. 

9th worst in points allowed to opposing defenses.

Cant decide if I want to stick with Ravens vs NO this week or grab a better matchup for this week and Ravems bye Week 10.  Considering Indy with home games vs Buff and Jags

Just now, JIslander said:

Cant decide if I want to stick with Ravens vs NO this week or grab a better matchup for this week and Ravems bye Week 10.  Considering Indy with home games vs Buff and Jags

I was wondering the same things and looking at the schedule I think I am comfortable dropping Baltimore. Yikes, ugly.

13 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

I was wondering the same things and looking at the schedule I think I am comfortable dropping Baltimore. Yikes, ugly.

Yeah, i don't think I'll drop them  --we don't lose points for yardage --just total points --so if NO scores like 34 its -1      -- which I'm ok with if they are getting sacks, FR's INts--

But agree their schedule, as it looks now, has only one positive match-up the rest of the way --which is Raiders in Bmore.

1 hour ago, JIslander said:

Yeah, i don't think I'll drop them  --we don't lose points for yardage --just total points --so if NO scores like 34 its -1      -- which I'm ok with if they are getting sacks, FR's INts--

But agree their schedule, as it looks now, has only one positive match-up the rest of the way --which is Raiders in Bmore.

I'm holding the Ravens for now -- their schedule does look tough, but if they show signs of holding their own from a FP persepctive with sacks, takeaways, etc., it can offset the potential points scored against them. 

If it seems they can't hold off some of the early high powered offenses they face coming up, will look to stream elsewhere. They normally play the Steelers and Cincy tough, and those games against the Raiders and Bucs into late season/playoffs look juicy. 

So anybody have any theories about the Bears DST this past week vs Miami?  Lucky bounces?  Wilting in the heat?  Kalil Mack hurt?

I was planning to ride them at least through their stretch vs the AFC East (and just hope for a couple of points this week vs NE) but now not so sure.  I knew their secondary was shakey even before this week, it was just that their front seven was so dominant it masked their deficiencies there.

I'm asking more for weeks 8 and beyond, since can't expect anything super against the Patriots.  Are they worth a hold or am I back to streaming?

I do remember last year the Jags and Ravens both having totally awful games against a bad offense but they came around as the year went on, so I don't want to bail too quickly from one bad week, but FF is inherently a short sample size, so hanging on too long can be bad too.

6 minutes ago, themeistersinger said:

So anybody have any theories about the Bears DST this past week vs Miami?  Lucky bounces?  Wilting in the heat?  Kalil Mack hurt?

Not claiming to be an expert, but it sounds like this was a major factor. Which is a little scary since a) it makes you wonder if they were really that good to begin with, and b) this may be a lingering injury.

I was planning to ride them at least through their stretch vs the AFC East (and just hope for a couple of points this week vs NE) but now not so sure.  I knew their secondary was shakey even before this week, it was just that their front seven was so dominant it masked their deficiencies there.

I'm asking more for weeks 8 and beyond, since can't expect anything super against the Patriots.  Are they worth a hold or am I back to streaming?

I do remember last year the Jags and Ravens both having totally awful games against a bad offense but they came around as the year went on, so I don't want to bail too quickly from one bad week, but FF is inherently a short sample size, so hanging on too long can be bad too.

I dropped the Jags last year after they crapped the bed in the Jets game. Following week they picked off Ben five times and were off to the races. :wall:

As for the Bears, schedule gets way easier after this week: NYJ, @Buf, Det, Min (tougher match-ups but at least at home), @Det, @NYG. Then it gets bad the first two weeks of the playoffs (LAR/GB) before they finish @SF. 

Pending Mack's health, I think they should be good until Week 14, but definitely plan on having back-up options come playoff time.

As for this week, I definitely wouldn't drop them, but it you have the roster space and can get the best of some mediocre options (Indy, maybe Detroit) then it might be worth it. In my case, I'd rather not drop OJ Howard or Dion Lewis in my 14-teamer, so I'll take my chances with the Bears.

1 minute ago, zftcg said:

Not claiming to be an expert, but it sounds like this was a major factor. Which is a little scary since a) it makes you wonder if they were really that good to begin with, and b) this may be a lingering injury.

I dropped the Jags last year after they crapped the bed in the Jets game. Following week they picked off Ben five times and were off to the races. :wall:

As for the Bears, schedule gets way easier after this week: NYJ, @Buf, Det, Min (tougher match-ups but at least at home), @Det, @NYG. Then it gets bad the first two weeks of the playoffs (LAR/GB) before they finish @SF. 

Pending Mack's health, I think they should be good until Week 14, but definitely plan on having back-up options come playoff time.

As for this week, I definitely wouldn't drop them, but it you have the roster space and can get the best of some mediocre options (Indy, maybe Detroit) then it might be worth it. In my case, I'd rather not drop OJ Howard or Dion Lewis in my 14-teamer, so I'll take my chances with the Bears.

I did ride the roller coaster with the Ravens and Jags last year, but finally nailed down the Jags and rode them to a title.  First time I ever had both the #1 kicker and #1 DST on my team, which otherwise was decent but not great.  And I got them both via streaming.  I was kind of hoping I had lucked into the same situation with the Bears this year.

We only have 5 bench spots total, and with Bye weeks I'm not too excited about consuming a bench spot for a DST (although I did do that for the Bears with their Bye).  So I am willing to take my chances this week with the Bears.  I'm also playing against the 6-0 team in our league and he has all green matchups, so I don't want to sacrifice the future for this week.  Losing by 20 instead of 40 doesn't help much.

I did see the two bad games at the end of the schedule, but by then the bye weeks are done, and there's less future to worry about, so I don't feel bad about carrying two DSTs at that point to have the Bears on stand by for the championship (if I make it that far).

4 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Would love Indy, they are the sexy pick, and my brain is screaming yes.

I don't know why my gut is thinking this could backfire as turning out to be "one of those games" that totally backfires.

like the Fins putting up 31 points on the Bears...or like the Jets hanging 42 on this same Indy D. 

Momentum sometimes matters. And sometimes just one variable (Pederson or Anderson not being great) ignores another (Shady is still very good, skill-wise). 

Wondering if a team like the Broncs provides less risk due to lower variance in potential outcome.

With my CHI D vs NE this week I picked up Denver last week to replace them.

Now I'm thinking this may be a bad spot for the Denver D. They've given up two consecutive 200 yard rushers on the ground (Gurley, Crowell) and now they face DJ. AZ has been somewhat clueless, but the matchup is there, the game is at home, and Rosen seems to slowly be getting his feet under him.

Now I'm considering going after Indy tonight. They've created some turnovers and sacks and if Peterman starts, booya.

Another option is LAC. Facing TN in London. TN just got sacked 11 times but why  do I think funky things happen in London. 

I'm sitting with DEN this week as well, but considering NE or LAC.  I'd like to think with DEN being so up and down, that this may be an up week for them.  I'm sure I'll flip/flop 3 times over the next 5 days.

4 hours ago, shadyridr said:

the bills are losing, do you really think their d will play lights out in december?

29 minutes ago, Peak said:

I'm sitting with DEN this week as well, but considering NE or LAC.  I'd like to think with DEN being so up and down, that this may be an up week for them.  I'm sure I'll flip/flop 3 times over the next 5 days.

They did hold the LAR to 23 points. Quite an accomplishment.

2 hours ago, zftcg said:

Not claiming to be an expert, but it (Mack Injory) sounds like this was a major factor. Which is a little scary since a) it makes you wonder if they were really that good to begin with, and b) this may be a lingering injury.

Mack played 79% of the snaps in week 6, as compared to 70%, 73%, 100%, and 81% in weeks 1-4, so he was on the field a comparable amount to his other weeks.  Anybody know at what point in the game he got hurt?  Was it early and he was hobbling around all game?

1 hour ago, grateful zed said:

the bills are losing, do you really think their d will play lights out in december?

What does December have to do with this week? They are a top 3 defense in my league so far. 

6 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

What does December have to do with this week? They are a top 3 defense in my league so far. 

you said top option all year, which includes december.

Just now, grateful zed said:

you said top option all year, which includes december.

I meant they have been a top option all year. 

Edited by shadyridr

13 hours ago, themeistersinger said:

Mack played 79% of the snaps in week 6, as compared to 70%, 73%, 100%, and 81% in weeks 1-4, so he was on the field a comparable amount to his other weeks.  Anybody know at what point in the game he got hurt?  Was it early and he was hobbling around all game?

Watched the game in parts. Not sure when he got hurt, but when I was watching he was definitely out there limping around (and getting attended to whenever he went to the sideline). Ankle injuries are in some ways the worst, because guys play through them even though they're unable to perform as they normally would.

Dropped Carolina and picked up Miami. Great ROS

Edited by flapgreen

19 hours ago, kyoun1e said:

With my CHI D vs NE this week I picked up Denver last week to replace them.

Now I'm thinking this may be a bad spot for the Denver D. They've given up two consecutive 200 yard rushers on the ground (Gurley, Crowell) and now they face DJ. AZ has been somewhat clueless, but the matchup is there, the game is at home, and Rosen seems to slowly be getting his feet under him.

Now I'm considering going after Indy tonight. They've created some turnovers and sacks and if Peterman starts, booya.

Another option is LAC. Facing TN in London. TN just got sacked 11 times but why  do I think funky things happen in London. 

19 hours ago, Peak said:

18 hours ago, kyoun1e said:

They did hold the LAR to 23 points. Quite an accomplishment.

I, too, am wary of the Denver match up -- short week, on the road on a THU game, and DJ is DJ. But ARI had both Iupati and Pugh dinged last weekend and both were either DNP or limited so far this week, which I think limits ARI's rush ability (though DEN has not been their usual stout self against the run).

I know, grain of salt as no practice is really full on a short week, but MIN provided the blueprint of shutting down DJ and forcing Rosen into unfavorable down-and-distance situations where the ball got turned over a few times. 

Would have rather had the Colts but they were gone. Other options I was considering was BUF, but I think DEN has the chance to perform better fantasy-wise, even on the road, though that's more going by gut (this team has dropped multiple games and desperately needs a win). And they weren't terrible against the Rams, to @kyoun1e's point.

On another note, someone dropped the Bears, and would love to have the space to snatch and hold, but given the state of my roster, would need to drop BAL to do it. Seems really favorable given the comparative match-ups these teams have down the stretch, but I'm struggling with the decision given how dominant BAL has been, even before their 11 sack game last week. They may indeed still be the #1 D ROS even with those tough match ups. With offenses like DET, MIN, LAR, GB, and even the surging SF and Jets offenses, I'm not sure the Bears' schedule is so clearly better.

15 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

I, too, am wary of the Denver match up -- short week, on the road on a THU game, and DJ is DJ. But ARI had both Iupati and Pugh dinged last weekend and both were either DNP or limited so far this week, which I think limits ARI's rush ability (though DEN has not been their usual stout self against the run).

I know, grain of salt as no practice is really full on a short week, but MIN provided the blueprint of shutting down DJ and forcing Rosen into unfavorable down-and-distance situations where the ball got turned over a few times. 

Would have rather had the Colts but they were gone. Other options I was considering was BUF, but I think DEN has the chance to perform better fantasy-wise, even on the road, though that's more going by gut (this team has dropped multiple games and desperately needs a win). And they weren't terrible against the Rams, to @kyoun1e's point.

Was looking deeper at the Denver D's games and was shocked to see that Goff only completed 50% of his passes. Then read something somewhere that basically stated "Denver strategy was basically to let them run vs. pass deep." All that said, still not comfortable. On the road, could see the wheels just fall off Denver, coach fired, DJ owners rejoicing, etc.

I got the Indy D last night and now of course, D. Anderson was named the starting QB. He's had his problems previously as a journeyman but then again, he's also lit it up here and there. Gotta think he's an upgrade over Peterman. 

Damnit...Den or Indy...anyone with any thoughts?

I like Arizona better than Denver D this week :shrug: Home team and they have been the better fantasy defense so far this year. Quite honestly though I see both teams running the hell out of the ball in a low scoring affair.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steelwind said:

Anderson announced as the starting QB for Bills.  Are we still starting Ind D?

I mean, I'd rather see Peterman.

That said, Anderson was signed eight days ago. Not sure how familiar he is with Buffalo's system -- McDermott presumably knows him from their time together in Carolina, but has he ever overlapped with Daboll?

I still think Indy's a good play, but that may just be me rationalizing the fact that I'm pot committed to them in two leagues.

3 hours ago, steelwind said:

Anderson announced as the starting QB for Bills.  Are we still starting Ind D?

Anderson is a gunslinger.  He'll toss the ball around and won't be shy to turn it over.  I can see him having a big day, but also throw a couple of receptions.  I'm not as confident that IND Def can contain it.  The team wasn't fond of Peterman starting, so they have to be ecstatic about Anderson coming in to play.  Being a regular journeyman, it won't take long for him to get up to speed.  I think the team will try to rally around him and it wouldn't surprise me if BUF put some points on the board this week.  I'm staying away from IND Def this week.  But then again, I'm also a fool starting DEN @ AZ.  Hoping for a low scoring affair between these two lackluster teams.  That and DEN D got called out by Elway this week, so hoping MIller and squad take on the challenge and ball out this week.

1 hour ago, fantasycurse42 said:

Buffalo or AZ, what do you guys think?

I think Buffalo is a better D, but they’re on the road. Still, they’ve shut teams down and piled up a lot of sacks and turnovers the past few weeks. Their numbers aren’t bouyed by defensive TDs like AZ got the past two weeks. 

Going with BUF myself, but both are good matchups this week. 

2 hours ago, shadyridr said:

I like Arizona better than Denver D this week :shrug: Home team and they have been the better fantasy defense so far this year. Quite honestly though I see both teams running the hell out of the ball in a low scoring affair.

Agreed on all counts here. 

30 minutes ago, Peak said:

Anderson is a gunslinger.  He'll toss the ball around and won't be shy to turn it over.  I can see him having a big day, but also throw a couple of receptions.  I'm not as confident that IND Def can contain it.  The team wasn't fond of Peterman starting, so they have to be ecstatic about Anderson coming in to play.  Being a regular journeyman, it won't take long for him to get up to speed.  I think the team will try to rally around him and it wouldn't surprise me if BUF put some points on the board this week.  I'm staying away from IND Def this week.  But then again, I'm also a fool starting DEN @ AZ.  Hoping for a low scoring affair between these two lackluster teams.  That and DEN D got called out by Elway this week, so hoping MIller and squad take on the challenge and ball out this week.

Just looked up D. Anderson's stats. His last meaningful starts were back in 2016.

* @ATL: 17-23-172-2-2

* TB: 18-28-278-0-2

But I think the more meaningful info may be that...HE HASN'T PLAYED IN TWO YEARS.

A couple other Indy D tid bits: 

* Clayton Geathers and Margus Hunt back at practice on the D side. That can't hurt.

* TY Hilton testing hamstring today. If he's on the field, maybe more offense, maybe more pressure on Anderson to throw it up there.

* Vegas has Indy as -6.5 point home favorites. Like that a lot better than the Denver line (on the road).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fantasycurse42 said:

Buffalo or AZ, what do you guys think?

Miami 

2 hours ago, kyoun1e said:

Just looked up D. Anderson's stats. His last meaningful starts were back in 2016.

* @ATL: 17-23-172-2-2

* TB: 18-28-278-0-2

But I think the more meaningful info may be that...HE HASN'T PLAYED IN TWO YEARS.

A couple other Indy D tid bits: 

* Clayton Geathers and Margus Hunt back at practice on the D side. That can't hurt.

* TY Hilton testing hamstring today. If he's on the field, maybe more offense, maybe more pressure on Anderson to throw it up there.

* Vegas has Indy as -6.5 point home favorites. Like that a lot better than the Denver line (on the road).

Ok you have convinced me to move Indy ahead of Arizona and Buffalo. This decision is gonna make or break both teams of mine because I can't see playing Baltimore or Chicago this week. It's one reason I usually stream defenses. Even when you have a great defense there are still a handful of games you can't play them.

I’m debating:

Dallas D @ Redskins

Cards D vs Broncos TNF

The Cowboys allow few points or yards. Don’t love the road game, but how scary is Washington? I’m most interested in points allowed. Probably should just trot out AZ. 

Starting to fall into the over-thinking trap....

Den D @ AZ tonight  (total 41.5, DEN -1.5)

LAC D vs TEN in London  (total 45, LAC -7)

NE D @ CHI (total 49, NE -3)

Leaning towards DEN just because the total points is going to be low for these two teams. I also think DEN D may have a chip on their shoulder.  But if McCarthy is going to actually coach offense in a game this year for AZ, this is the one (revenge game).

LAC D is intriguing as London games are always a mess.  LAC offense is better suited to take a strong lead, with TEN having to catch up.  They put up good numbers last week vs CLE, and I think they could do it again here.

NE is here only because they are the last great hope on my WW.  Trubisky could turn the ball over, but still very uncertain over this pick.

5 minutes ago, Peak said:

Leaning towards DEN just because the total points is going to be low for these two teams. I also think DEN D may have a chip on their shoulder.  But if McCarthy is going to actually coach offense in a game this year for AZ, this is the one (revenge game).

LAC D is intriguing as London games are always a mess.  LAC offense is better suited to take a strong lead, with TEN having to catch up.  They put up good numbers last week vs CLE, and I think they could do it again here.

NE is here only because they are the last great hope on my WW.  Trubisky could turn the ball over, but still very uncertain over this pick.

Chargers are the clear play there IMO

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

I think you're right.  Doing some more digging, I found this nugget this morning...

Tennessee was dominated from start to finish in Sunday’s 21-0 home loss to Baltimore, with quarterback Marcus Mariota getting sacked a ridiculous 11 times. The Titans managed only 106 total yards in the game, including 51 passing. The Titans have only topped 20 points on one occasion this season and there’s no reason to expect them to find their groove in England. Expect this one to be low-scoring and take the UNDER.

Balt is a good defense, but even the Browns managed to score and beat them.  The LAC have a much better offense, and the defense is good enough to hold down the Titans.  Feel a little more comfortable with that selectioin now.

40 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

I agree, although the one thing that would give me pause is that London games tend to have one team totally prepared for the shift in routine and the other totally off their game (see Seattle/Oakland last week, or Jax/Baltimore last year). And is there any doubt which group an Anthony Lynn-coached team would find themselves in?

1 hour ago, Peak said:

Agree with the posters below that you'll want the Chargers, but for those without that luxury, I think you are on to something with the bolded. Von Miller just issued a public challenge to his own D, putting the pressure on them to reverse the 4-game lose skid they are on. I think they come out raring to stuff the run and force the Cards to be one-dimensional and get some turnovers.

It's a meaningful game for both teams, and while I tend to side with the home team on TNF, and the DEN D is very susceptible compared to last year, they have been much more competitive than their record shows, as opposed to the Cards, who only are now finding a way to get DJ going, and have only Kirk as a reliable downfield weapon.

Tough call, as I've been bouncing between DEN or ARI (and even BUF) for this week, but rolling with DEN because I just see more fire on that side of the ball.