What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Making PK's and DST More Important....Start 2 each week...? (1 Viewer)

Stinkin Ref

IBL Representative
Tell me why this idea sucks.....

Tossing this out there as a way to maybe make PK and DST's more important in your leagues.  

It's pretty boring that time of most drafts at the end when everybody just grabs a PK and a DST.  And then it's also pretty boring during the season because you can just use the WW most any week to pick up a PK or a DST if yours is on a bye.  

Think about how it would shake things up in 10, 12, 14, even 16 team leagues if you HAD to start 2 each week.  With some weeks of the NFL season having as many as (6) teams on a bye, it would not be as easy to just grab someone off the wire.  In fact some weeks, a team may take a (0) at one of the spots. In 14 and 16 team leagues some for sure would take the (0).  In 12 teams leagues, there are times where all but 2 defenses would be playing.  

Think about how this would shake up drafts as well.  They would become more important and possibly drafted earlier.  Owners would have to decide how long they were willing to wait. Heck some guys may even draft 3 or hold 3 throughout times of the year.

It would also maybe make you a little gun shy about dropping your "extra" guy throughout the year.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I think, save for 1-2 K/DST each year, most people find the positions completely random and 100% match-up dependent. Thus, it may add some roster management strategy to the mix, but also add more volatility to the mix (which some view as less skill).

I think, save for 1-2 K/DST each year, most people find the positions completely random and 100% match-up dependent. Thus, it may add some roster management strategy to the mix, but also add more volatility to the mix (which some view as less skill).
I agree, but it seems that there are usually 1-3 really good kickers and D's, and 1-3 really bad kickers and D's. 

Starting more would make those 1-3 or maybe 5 top ones really valuable, and would make those bottom ones a real drag, so it would add some strategy to when you'd have to draft them.

Interesting idea. I'd play in a league that did that.

I was positive someone else started this thread.

Seems like a cool concept for diehard FFers. I wouldn't like it in a dynasty but would give it a go for a year in redraft.

My favorite league allows kicker to be one of your 2 flex. Along with 1-2 RB, 3-5 WR, 1-3 TE. 

They don't score enough to start most weeks but they can help in a bye week. You might be able to grab a guy like Phil Dawson on waivers but most of the good ones are rostered (16 teams). 

That's about as much as I'd go here, maybe up their scoring a bit. Solid kickers score similar to WR40, Z leg scored about the same as Golden Tate. 

The problem is there is generally not a huge difference between kickers in actual ppg.  They may  be a difference of 1-3 ppg for most tiers and guessing which are going to be at the top is a crap shoot.  The other thing is generally they score significantly less than other positions in most cases so even getting the top tier doesn't make a big difference in overall team score.  Sure making more kickers be needed means you don't want to get stuck with the bottom of the barrel but it doesn't seem to make a dent in overall production to where getting a better RB or WR is still more important than a kicker.  Another thing that helps is make their scoring equivalent to similar tiers of other positions.  HOwever, this still doesn't change the fact that there isn't much difference between K2 and K18 in PPG.

Similar situation to defenses but with even more volatility between good and bad from year to year.  It just becomes much more luck based.  If you want to make defense more critical incorporate IDP's instead of team defense and make them equal to the offensive players in terms of players started and scoring levels.  

Don't make them more important.  That's the quickest way of diminishing your league.  They are not positions of any predictive validity.  Don't introduce *more* variability divorced from skill.  Get *rid* of them and never look back. 

My main auction league that I commish starts 2QBS, 2RBs, 2WRs, 2TEs, 3flex ( any combo of 1RB, 3WRs, or 2 TEs) , 2 K and 2 DEFs. League has been going for nearly 10 years and is a total blast.

I'd rather inflate the value of qb's before I ever thought of inflating the values of PK/Defenses.   In reality football the qb position is the position that carries the most value in regards to a teams chances of being successful and in fantasy it is one of the least. 

I'd rather inflate the value of qb's before I ever thought of inflating the values of PK/Defenses.   In reality football the qb position is the position that carries the most value in regards to a teams chances of being successful and in fantasy it is one of the least. 
Hmmm....in real football.....without a solid D you lose a lot....and kickers often decide the outcome of many games..... :shrug:

As someone who normally uses these positions to manipulate the WW on a weekly basis I was actually looking for ways to keep it from happening because even though I do it, I don’t like the feel of it as an acceptable practice.....most of my leagues allow you to carry ZERO PK or DST throughout the week....so come WW time, I will drop both and pick up as many of the top free agents as possible to keep them off of other teams rosters and out of their lineups....then once I get close to kickoff I dump two players and snag a D and PK...often the same players involved....if I had to start 2 of each, each week, I would probably never do this...plus I think it would make the draft a little more interesting with these positions....look I get some people don’t like these positions as part of FF but fact is, they normally are....in every type of league....so if they are, why not make them more important from a strategy perspective....not by increasing their scoring, just by possibly having them....if teams chose to take a ZERO because they don’t think they impact a fantasy game week to week, then so be it....but otherwise what does it hurt...?

Hmmm....without a solid D you lose a lot....and kickers often decide the outcome of many games..... :shrug:
Lumping a team defense as one starting spot doesn't solve that problem though. If you want to play in a league that magnifies defense--there are IDP leagues where you have several starting roster positions for defensive players.   If you view fantasy football as predominately a game of skill with some variability--emphasizing kickers in a scoring format takes away skill and replaces it with more luck.

You bring up points in them playing a part in determining outcomes of real football games--but I assure you that historically no single position has ever determined success on a football field more than the qb position.   If you want to artificially pump up the value on a underappreciated position in fantasy football--don't look past the qb position.  

Users who are viewing this thread