What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bobans hands... My God. They're freakishly huge. Bet he can board.
he will be Dario-lite for the locker room. Team will love the guy, and if we get any chance to see him and Embiid on the court for a minute or 2 on the court together it could be some good fun.

I find it very amusing, that if NO does the deal with the Lakers, they essentially have the Lakers 35-47 team from last year...

Julius Randle is already on, then they get:

Lonzo Ball

Kyle Kuzma

Brandon Ingram

Josh Hart

Ivica Zubac

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

I don't have a dog in this fight, but 35-47 may be the best NO can do w/o AD, no matter who else gets involved

the Bill Sommons podcast and his ringer nut huggers are some of the worst stuff out there if you aren't a Boston fan, but man it is fun when he is getting ready to go into meltdown mode. I think the Sixers move has him a bit shook, combined with kyrie leaving and AD being plain as Jane he doesn't want to go to Boston:

Bill Simmons @BillSimmons

That Sixers trade felt desperate - gave up way too much for an expiring FA. And throwing Shamet in the deal was just weird. But fundamentally... their crunch-time 5 is flawed now. No lineup flexibility, nobody to defend the Kyrie types. Why not make same offer for Jrue Holiday?

I like how the "crunch time 5" is flawed now. Yes, losing Chandler is a huge loss. Guy had to be one of the worst starters in the entire NBA. Shamet was fun and a great young prospect, but when he had to fill in for JJ when JJ was out it became apparent he needs a few more years to get ready for that. Love the kid, but hard to envision him being a huge piece in the playoffs where his defense could be taken advantage of. and sure Jrue would have been nice, but was he available? everybody always think this is NBA 2K and you can just trade for someone cause you want him.

Seeing the Celtics' ship sink will be enjoyable. I love that the Sixers trade basically erased an asset from the Celtics as well since they will likely lose out on the Clippers first because of it.

If I was Demps I would issue a statement saying "we arent trading a top 5 player not yet in his prime to Los Angeles for any package of players that doesnt include their own top 5 player who is exiting his prime.  Absent that player's inclusion in a deal, the Lakers are welcome to try and sign our under-contract player in July of 2020 when his contract has expired."
Not yet in his prime??  Come on he's in his 7th season.

Forbes just released franchise values.   Who you buying?

Code:
New York Knicks: $4 billion
Los Angeles Lakers: $3.7 billion
Golden State Warriors: $3.5 billion
Chicago Bulls: $2.9 billion
Boston Celtics: $2.8 billion
Brooklyn Nets: $2.35 billion
Houston Rockets: $2.3 billion
Dallas Mavericks: $2.25 billion
Los Angeles Clippers: $2.2 billion
Miami Heat: $1.75 billion
Toronto Raptors: $1.675 billion
Philadelphia 76ers: $1.65 billion
San Antonio Spurs: $1.625 billion
Portland Trail Blazers: $1.6 billion
Sacramento Kings: $1.575 billion
Washington Wizards: $1.55 billion
Phoenix Suns: $1.5 billion
Oklahoma City Thunder: $1.475 billion
Utah Jazz: $1.425 billion
Indiana Pacers: $1.4 billion
Denver Nuggets: $1.375 billion
Milwaukee Bucks: $1.35 billion
Orlando Magic: $1.325 billion
Atlanta Hawks: $1.3 billion
Cleveland Cavaliers: $1.275 billion
Detroit Pistons: $1.27 billion
Minnesota Timberwolves: $1.26 billion
Charlotte Hornets: $1.25 billion
New Orleans Pelicans: $1.22 billion
Memphis Grizzlies: $1.2 billion

Last edited by a moderator:
the Bill Sommons podcast and his ringer nut huggers are some of the worst stuff out there if you aren't a Boston fan, but man it is fun when he is getting ready to go into meltdown mode. I think the Sixers move has him a bit shook, combined with kyrie leaving and AD being plain as Jane he doesn't want to go to Boston:

Bill Simmons @BillSimmons

That Sixers trade felt desperate - gave up way too much for an expiring FA. And throwing Shamet in the deal was just weird. But fundamentally... their crunch-time 5 is flawed now. No lineup flexibility, nobody to defend the Kyrie types. Why not make same offer for Jrue Holiday?

I like how the "crunch time 5" is flawed now. Yes, losing Chandler is a huge loss. Guy had to be one of the worst starters in the entire NBA. Shamet was fun and a great young prospect, but when he had to fill in for JJ when JJ was out it became apparent he needs a few more years to get ready for that. Love the kid, but hard to envision him being a huge piece in the playoffs where his defense could be taken advantage of. and sure Jrue would have been nice, but was he available? everybody always think this is NBA 2K and you can just trade for someone cause you want him.

Seeing the Celtics' ship sink will be enjoyable. I love that the Sixers trade basically erased an asset from the Celtics as well since they will likely lose out on the Clippers first because of it.
How is crunch time 5 flawed?  It is basically perfect. The bench is the issue. 

How is crunch time 5 flawed?  It is basically perfect. The bench is the issue. 
Four players accustomed to high usage numbers are now expected to all sacrifice touches?  Harris will probably end up standing in the corner most of the time and his defense is nothing special.  Shots he and Butler get from the outside will largely come at the expense of Redick...who is the player opponents don't want open.

Embiid & Simmons are young and the franchise traded away a ton (all?) of the team's flexibility to chase a title now?  That doesn't make as much sense as continuing to build around those two.  Seems like a very Anthony Davis in NOLA level "play for now" move with big long-term costs.

Huge money deals for a post-prime Butler and/or Harris screams poor financial commitments that will eventually result in the team being unwilling or unable to keep Simmons around long-term.  Or will eventually manifest itself in a Philly salary dump trade to get off a bad deal that will limit their ability to add depth for years.  Even giving up Detroit's 2nd's instead of their own was weak.

The Clippers absolutely cleaned up on this deal.  Just like they did when they sent Griffin to the Pistons.  Moderate short-term pain for huge financial flexibility and a cache of assets moving forward.  That's how more franchises should be run.  There's zero chance Hinke would have turned all of that stuff years ago into this...just a limited window of mediocre success in the East.

luckily caught before I slept. all in all I think I like it. Our boys on the Right to Ricky Sanchez capture it pretty good. I do love me some Shamet and that '21 Mia pick, but sending out Muscola and Chandler are both positive for the Sixers. Thobias fits that 4 significantly better than both. it is a play more for now though than the long play.

you have to cash your assets in at some point (hint, hint Ainge)
We'll see who's laughing when Jaylen Brown culminates his 24 year career with the Celtics by getting his jersey in the rafters.

Four players accustomed to high usage numbers are now expected to all sacrifice touches?  Harris will probably end up standing in the corner most of the time and his defense is nothing special.  Shots he and Butler get from the outside will largely come at the expense of Redick...who is the player opponents don't want open.

Embiid & Simmons are young and the franchise traded away a ton (all?) of the team's flexibility to chase a title now?  That doesn't make as much sense as continuing to build around those two.  Seems like a very Anthony Davis in NOLA level "play for now" move with big long-term costs.

Huge money deals for a post-prime Butler and/or Harris screams poor financial commitments that will eventually result in the team being unwilling or unable to keep Simmons around long-term.  Or will eventually manifest itself in a Philly salary dump trade to get off a bad deal that will limit their ability to add depth for years.  Even giving up Detroit's 2nd's instead of their own was weak.

The Clippers absolutely cleaned up on this deal.  Just like they did when they sent Griffin to the Pistons.  Moderate short-term pain for huge financial flexibility and a cache of assets moving forward.  That's how more franchises should be run.  There's zero chance Hinke would have turned all of that stuff years ago into this...just a limited window of mediocre success in the East.
Hinke would have absolutely done things differently. Like not trading up for Fultz or even drafting him. But unfortunately thanks to Silver, Hinke is gone. So we got set back by their placed GM, JC, and Brand is doing what he can with what's left.

This is a decent deal for what was available. Might have overpaid a bit but in the end, it's picks and Shamet that are of any value. The picks are next year and beyond. Shamet will be a nice player in this league but I don't think he'll be starting caliber. What exactly did the sixers give up that will hurt them here?

:no:  oh yee of little faith. Biggest asset the Sixers gave up in the deal was 1st rounder they got this past draft trading down 5 spots to get Zaire Smith. Shamet has been impressive this year, but he was picked in the 20s I believe and they can find a reputable shooter again in the draft.

as for the financial commitments of what you seem to be most worried about, we will see. there have already been reports that the Sixers aren't going to provide Butler with that max deal, and if that is the case Butler can probably walk to another franchise and get the max. Sixers then will sign Harris to a 25-30/yr deal, but I guarantee whatever it is it will be less than what Simmons and Embiid make. they will be signing Simmons extension  this summer (won't go into effect until the following year), but I can guarantee he will be taken care of). The obvious line the organization has drawn is that it is Embiid and Simmons team. that is why Lebron coming would have been pretty crazy, but the team didn't have to deal with that

Sixers also have tons of 2nd round picks (have Chicago's and Kinck's this year), so 2nd round picks are something the org. is well aware of acquiring and keeping. you can say Clippers cleaned up on the deal, but the Sixers lost to expiring contracts for underperforming guys, a talented rookie with a ceiling maybe around 6th guy, and a valuable 1st round pick. in return they got a guy who many feel should have been an all-star.

and Hinkie may have made this deal. the entire focus of the process was not only to acquire assets, but also to use them to maximize chances. You could be a team like Boston, and acquire assets yet be too scared to use them, and watch them lose value as you sit around and wait.

ETA: Sixers already acquired a little bench depth and a 2nd rounder today from Toronto for cash.

Magic and Rob Pelinka have completely botched this trade deadline.  Absolutely brutal how they have managed to alienate their entire roster and likely end up with nothing more than Reggie ####### Bullock when the deadline passes.  

When healthy, this Laker squad was 4th/5th in the West while still getting to know each other earlier this season.  Now morale is gone and the idea of team chemistry and sacrifice is a ####### joke.  Jeannie Buss should fire Magic and Rob both.  Just insane how unprofessional they have handled this.  

Magic and Rob Pelinka have completely botched this trade deadline.  Absolutely brutal how they have managed to alienate their entire roster and likely end up with nothing more than Reggie ####### Bullock when the deadline passes.  

When healthy, this Laker squad was 4th/5th in the West while still getting to know each other earlier this season.  Now morale is gone and the idea of team chemistry and sacrifice is a ####### joke.  Jeannie Buss should fire Magic and Rob both.  Just insane how unprofessional they have handled this.  
:roarin:

agreed. you don't think they can pull anything off before tomorrow? it will really look bad and will make for a long season if they don't do anything. at least acquire assets to be able to trade to the pelicans later. I do think part of the problem is that they over-valued their current roster as compared to other teams, but they should have acted quicker or not allowed AD and his team to pull their shenanigans like they did to put the spotlight on them.

of course, maybe that was all orchestrated by Lebron who may have felt that the front office wasn't trying hard enough to bring in more help for him. Messy situations

I read a rumor that they're interested in Jabari Parker.

agreed. you don't think they can pull anything off before tomorrow? it will really look bad and will make for a long season if they don't do anything. at least acquire assets to be able to trade to the pelicans later. I do think part of the problem is that they over-valued their current roster as compared to other teams, but they should have acted quicker or not allowed AD and his team to pull their shenanigans like they did to put the spotlight on them.

of course, maybe that was all orchestrated by Lebron who may have felt that the front office wasn't trying hard enough to bring in more help for him. Messy situations
Zero reason to alienate the roster to appease LeBron - he signed a 4 year deal.  If he's whining, tell him to #### and worry about getting healthy.  

Panicking w/re to Davis is beyond stupid.  They should have inquired as to what NO would want, and if indeed it's the silly all the young guys and 4 first rounders, you politely say no thanks and wait until this summer, when you can sign a max FA without trading anyone.  

Adrian Wojnarowski

Suns have reached an agreement with Heat to acquire guard Tyler Johnson, league source tells ESPN.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn 1m1 minute ago

Miami is acquiring Phoenix's Ryan Anderson in the deal for Tyler Johnson, league sources tell ESPN

No. The Lakers were the only team whose first-round pick wasn't leaked well in advance of the selection during the last NBA draft. The leaks are coming from NO and AD's agent.
Maybe you're right about NO but I'd be surprised if the NO front office was keeping AD's agent in the loop about trade packages.

I imagine it was posted on the previous page but my back-button doesn't work so:  The Pacers fans chanting "Lebon's gonna trade you" at the Lakers players shooting free throws was awesome.  Chanting "Not worth trading" at Javale McGee was even better.  GB Indiana.

i like the Philly trade.  If they resign Jimmy and Harris then they have a big 4 that can all play pretty good (or better) defense. And their size will be a problem for most teams they play. Yes, depth is problematic but adding Harris means that 2 or 3 of the main guys can be on the floor at all times I would think.  Will be interesting to see if it comes together before the postseason but I don't think they were making the finals with what they had.

so now the rumor mill is Lakers are offering 8 players to get AD. How does that make sense? would the Pelicans really have 7 players they want to cut to make a deal? I guess I am just not getting the logic of what the Lakers are thinking with these offers. I mean look at the Clippers who just grabbed 2 1st round picks last night. those are tangible assets to move with players. just seems strange to offer 8 players and expect it to be a good deal. I wouldn't bother answering the calls either:

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-lakers-offering-lonzo-ball-205737825.html

maybe it is just the headline being off....

so now the rumor mill is Lakers are offering 8 players to get AD. How does that make sense? would the Pelicans really have 7 players they want to cut to make a deal? I guess I am just not getting the logic of what the Lakers are thinking with these offers. I mean look at the Clippers who just grabbed 2 1st round picks last night. those are tangible assets to move with players. just seems strange to offer 8 players and expect it to be a good deal. I wouldn't bother answering the calls either:

That article is from 2 days ago. 

Yes, they would have to cut or somehow trade out 6 or 7 players (depending on Hill's inclusion).  I actually like the deal for the Pelicans - Ingram, Kuzma, Hart, and Ball are not awful.  No, they aren't Davis but who is? In the Bill Simmons coin analogy this doesn't feel like the Pelicans getting two quarters for a dollar but rather the Pelicans getting one quarter, 6 dimes, two nickels, and a stack of old pennies for a dollar.  

I presume that the Pelicans recognize the Lakers offer will still be there in July so why hurry? 

Hinke would have absolutely done things differently. Like not trading up for Fultz or even drafting him. But unfortunately thanks to Silver, Hinke is gone. So we got set back by their placed GM, JC, and Brand is doing what he can with what's left.

This is a decent deal for what was available. Might have overpaid a bit but in the end, it's picks and Shamet that are of any value. The picks are next year and beyond. Shamet will be a nice player in this league but I don't think he'll be starting caliber. What exactly did the sixers give up that will hurt them here?
A total loss of financial flexibility and the ability to maximize their odds of winning when their best two players are at their peak.  Embiid & Simmons are not ready to win it all right now, but the last few big moves by Philly have been of the all in variety.  Doesn't make a big enough difference now, and will really hurt the team when the Embiid/Simmons championship window is really open from 2020-2023.

You could be a team like Boston, and acquire assets yet be too scared to use them, and watch them lose value as you sit around and wait.
This is fair.  One could also argue Boston was smart to not blow all those assets during a period of time when the NBA title was highly likely to be won by LeBron's team or the Warriors.  Danny Ainge may be a huge pain in the butt to his fellow GMs but he's had the organization signing big free agents, trading for a big name vet, drafting highly talented youngsters, and winning big for a few years now.  Meanwhile Philly has been a joke with their medical staff, front office shananigans, and hasn't won squat yet.  Adding a pain in the ### like Butler and a (soon to be) overpriced player like Harris just doesn't move the needle for the Sixers.

A total loss of financial flexibility and the ability to maximize their odds of winning when their best two players are at their peak.  Embiid & Simmons are not ready to win it all right now, but the last few big moves by Philly have been of the all in variety.  Doesn't make a big enough difference now, and will really hurt the team when the Embiid/Simmons championship window is really open from 2020-2023.

This is fair.  One could also argue Boston was smart to not blow all those assets during a period of time when the NBA title was highly likely to be won by LeBron's team or the Warriors.  Danny Ainge may be a huge pain in the butt to his fellow GMs but he's had the organization signing big free agents, trading for a big name vet, drafting highly talented youngsters, and winning big for a few years now.  Meanwhile Philly has been a joke with their medical staff, front office shananigans, and hasn't won squat yet.  Adding a pain in the ### like Butler and a (soon to be) overpriced player like Harris just doesn't move the needle for the Sixers.
They tried going after a big time FA this past summer and are going to go after one this summer. This doesn't prevent that. They have Butler and Harris now for this year to make a run at the title and can decide if they're worth keeping this summer by seeing them both in a stretch run for a top contender. If they are, then that's they're FA signings right there. And they'll already know if they fit or not.

Not seeing the loss of financial flexibility at all. 

the analysis of Boston is off a bit. Sure they were the "cute" team last year, and the year before, but they didn't win a thing. they are set up whacky salary cap wise because they try to win now and later as well. If AD doesn't go to Boston and Kyrie leaves what do they have? if AD comes they will be selling a lot, and do we really think AD signs long term with Boston? if we want to count success as a 2 good years of trying the hooray for them. 

and would like to clarify that the Philly front office has been a joke 100% because of the NBA. if the NBA doesn't come in and force the Sixers to fire (or rather demote) Hinkie and replace him with the son of one of their friends, the Sixers would have been fine. blame the league if you want to blame someone.

and Butler has been fine, and neither him nor Harris have been signed to anything yet. if both get full max deals, then we can talk. Seeing the Covington and Embiid contracts, the Sixers have the right number crunchers in the front office. hopefully

They tried going after a big time FA this past summer and are going to go after one this summer. This doesn't prevent that. They have Butler and Harris now for this year to make a run at the title and can decide if they're worth keeping this summer by seeing them both in a stretch run for a top contender. If they are, then that's they're FA signings right there. And they'll already know if they fit or not.

Not seeing the loss of financial flexibility at all. 
Which FA? I don’t see them getting someone better than Butler or Harris.  Without calculating things, I assume they’d have to renounce Redick. Not a big deal but he’s obviously an important player for them.

Which FA? I don’t see them getting someone better than Butler or Harris.  Without calculating things, I assume they’d have to renounce Redick. Not a big deal but he’s obviously an important player for them.
That's what I mean. If they felt Butler and Harris weren't worth it, they could let them walk and go after a big name potentially. But I feel like these guys are going to fit and that the sixers sign them for a longer deal. Then you have the nucleus of Ben, Jo, Jimmy and Tobias for 3-4 years together. See if they can get it done with that. 

That's what I mean. If they felt Butler and Harris weren't worth it, they could let them walk and go after a big name potentially. But I feel like these guys are going to fit and that the sixers sign them for a longer deal. Then you have the nucleus of Ben, Jo, Jimmy and Tobias for 3-4 years together. See if they can get it done with that. 
OK. The point I’m making is pivoting to another max free agent seems unrealistic.  

considering the Clippers traded for draft picks after this year's draft, i would be curious to see the package they put together for AD. would seem to be better than Celtics outside of Tatum. 

Any chance the Bulls coach was included in the swap? cuz that's too great a trade to allow him to work with
I read that Boylen was a respected asst. coach for twenty years but his performance has been so bad on every level that when he gets fired sometime in April, he will struggle to find any coaching job in the league. 

so i guess n o one is willing to give the rockets anything.  or they just think this isn't their year.  i guess they could use some other first.  not sure what year this pick to cleveland is from.

so i guess n o one is willing to give the rockets anything.  or they just think this isn't their year.  i guess they could use some other first.  not sure what year this pick to cleveland is from.
They like their team....when healthy.  Plus who are they going to add that helps AND is worth adding to their massive tax bill - Ariza?  Faried has been a nice pickup in Capellas absence and I expect he will keep getting run at PF in bigger lineups even when capella returns. 

If they move anyone it will be Knight and a pick for a cheaper wing.  But I think they are standing pat and hoping capella, Gordon, and Paul get/stay healthy.  

They like their team....when healthy.  Plus who are they going to add that helps AND is worth adding to their massive tax bill - Ariza?  Faried has been a nice pickup in Capellas absence and I expect he will keep getting run at PF in bigger lineups even when capella returns. 

If they move anyone it will be Knight and a pick for a cheaper wing.  But I think they are standing pat and hoping capella, Gordon, and Paul get/stay healthy.  
they just moved knight in the cavs deal with chriss and the protected first for Stauskas and Wade Baldwin.

Just saw the trade.  Getting rid of knight and Chriss is a good thing.  Basically traded Ryno ugly contract and a 1 for shumpert.  Not bad. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread