What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Derek Bodner had a great take on the trade on the Sixers Beat. No way am i going to try and explain it,  but there is a bunch of additional benefits of getting him now that i didn't realize with salary cap stuff and all that. it sounds like there were multiple reasons why an overpay was worth it at this point. 

And i do like that Lebron and Gianis made a trade for Russel Westbrook to join the same team as Embiid. Should be some good shtick, we can see if Russ can lighten up a bit

ETA: also better not be Lebron trying to lure Simmons to think about going to the Lakers......  I'll burn that dude's house down

While both Butler and Harris will be eligible for the same 5-year, $190 million max from the Sixers (and both will command at least close to that, given the number of teams with max slots available), Harris’ cap hold will only be $22.2 million. That means, if things go south with Butler and his future with the team, the Sixers — by renouncing the rights to Butler, Scott, Boban, T.J. McConnell, Redick, et al. — could still fit a 25 percent max contract in free agency, while still keeping the core of Embiid, Simmons and Harris in place. They’re a Zhaire Smith contract away from a 30 percent max, and they could even get beyond the threshold for a 35-percent max if they move off of Fultz’s $9.7 million contract for next season.

This is where making the trade, rather than pursuing Harris in free agency in July, presents the Sixers with a couple of advantages. If Butler fits in with the core and wants to return to the Sixers as a free agent, the Sixers would’ve previously had to renounce Redick’s rights in order to have the cap room necessary to sign Harris as a free agent. Now, with rights to Redick, Butler and Harris, the Sixers can go over the cap to bring back all three. If they decide to move on from Butler for whatever reason, they have Harris’ low $22.2 million cap hold on the books, and will have cap space to replace Butler prior to giving Harris his new larger, long-term deal. It increases the upside of either scenario.

this article/betting line is good shtick. Headline suggests that Celtics are favorite to win the East? 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2819871-nba-title-odds-2019-warriors-celtics-raptors-among-post-deadline-favorites

So at trade deadline, Raps, Sixers, and Bucks all made moves to improve their teams. yet somehow, this trainwreck of a team, who is currently losing at home to the Lakers, is still picked as a favorite to win the East  :loco:

ETA: is a funny misleading headline though. Dubs are -250 to win it all. next closest is 4 east teams at +1000

Last edited by a moderator:
this guy:

Confidence is apparently coursing through the Los Angeles Lakers following Thursday's 129-128 victory over the Boston Celtics at TD Garden.

"I wouldn't want to [play] us in any seven-game matchup, that's for sure," general manager Rob Pelinka said when asked about the Purple and Gold potentially reaching the playoffs, per Mike Bresnahan of Spectrum SportsNet.

Is there anyone in that locker room that actually would listen to this? You spend over a week trying to trade the entire team, and now you come out and act with all of this brovado like everything is ok? Man, takes some balls. or just pure delusional thought

Lowe has a good article up on ESPN. Sounds like there was a market for Fultz, which makes sense depending on what exactly is going on with him (i.e. how much is this new physical ailment, etc.):

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25944936/top-east-now-swing-superstar-free-agency

(Outbidding the Sixers, who offered two second-round picks, per sources, probably made it sweeter. The Sixers and Pelicans also discussed the general framework of a Mirotic-Markelle Fultz swap before Philadelphia acquired Tobias Harris, sources say. It is unclear how far those talks would have advanced otherwise

this article/betting line is good shtick. Headline suggests that Celtics are favorite to win the East? 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2819871-nba-title-odds-2019-warriors-celtics-raptors-among-post-deadline-favorites

So at trade deadline, Raps, Sixers, and Bucks all made moves to improve their teams. yet somehow, this trainwreck of a team, who is currently losing at home to the Lakers, is still picked as a favorite to win the East  :loco:

ETA: is a funny misleading headline though. Dubs are -250 to win it all. next closest is 4 east teams at +1000
I think the Celtics are just clowning around. It's like Lebron's Mia teams or GS. The regular season doesn't mean #### in the NBA when you know you have a legit shot making your conference finals and the Finals every year. It's almost pointless following the regular season anymore. Most of the better teams won't turn it on till playoff time and why not? Why waste energy needed for the post season and possible risk injury for part of the season that doesn't mean ####? 

It needs less clowns like Lavar Ball and less babies in the league. I hate this lets all be friends. It kills the rivalries. I miss the IT's of the world trying to ice out MJ from the All Star team so he didn't get any touches and then MJ clapping back with making sure Isiah didn't make The Dream team roster. Give me the hey "lets be friends and then when on the court I give you the biggest F U ever and tell you to eat it." hey if we're teammates fine but it doesn't mean I'm also gonna let you be better then me. 

On Lavar I think he's ruining his kids. He's the typical little league parent my kids are better then yours and complains how they don't have the playing time they deserve. He's the type of parent that will ruin their kids career by trying to live through them. I liked when Andy Reid Draft DeSean Jackson he called DJax dad as well on the call and said DeSean can be drafted by the Eagles but his dad had to promise not to be a cancer to the team and making headlines type. In other words you can be involved with your son but don't try to be that parent. For the most part it worked and unfortunately Jackson's dad died of cancer a few yrs after he was in the league. If I was drafting Lonzo though I've already repeatedly said I wouldn't have I'd have given him an ultimatum Lonzo. We'll draft you but your dad stays clear of what we do. None of these demanding favors or moves just for you. He causes a scene he's banned for life from the arena and team facilities. We're hear to win not be on the next Jerry Springer show. The dude is a clown show that the media needs to stop giving attention too. This guy will end up destroying his sons career before it ever goes anywhere. You wanted him on the Lakers well like they say be careful what you wish for. Suck it up butter cup 

this guy:

Confidence is apparently coursing through the Los Angeles Lakers following Thursday's 129-128 victory over the Boston Celtics at TD Garden.

"I wouldn't want to [play] us in any seven-game matchup, that's for sure," general manager Rob Pelinka said when asked about the Purple and Gold potentially reaching the playoffs, per Mike Bresnahan of Spectrum SportsNet.

Is there anyone in that locker room that actually would listen to this? You spend over a week trying to trade the entire team, and now you come out and act with all of this brovado like everything is ok? Man, takes some balls. or just pure delusional thought
I'm on the Windhorst train of I think NO leaked that info of trying to trade the whole team for their guy as they feel LA was tampering. Instead of just saying to Lakers sorry we won't budge on our guy just because you tampered they played the mind games instead. Now the Lakers FO looks like a horse's ### because of it. Magic to me with his position is no different then Joe Paterno at PSU in his latter years. He's just there as a mascot roll hoping it helps get recruits or in this case FA's to join the team. In his later yrs I had friend who didn't drink the Blue and White Kool aide (Before the other stuff happened as well) who said Paterno didn't even coach the team anymore it was mostly Tom Bradley. Paterno was just there as a figure head given how avg PSU was during the mid 2000's was there to hold the stigma of "hey we may be avg but you still can play for JoePa." he was there nothing more then a mascot/figure head cheerleader. Essentially that's what Magic is doing. The Real GM in LA is LeBron. Pelinka has the role of talking for LeBron as the GM. 

Lonzo’s dad said he was better than Lebron and that the Suns should sign all 3 of his boys and let them play however they want?!?

lonzo was a worse pick than fultz! 
I hate The Ball's as much as anyone but I 100% disagree. impact wise Lonzo has been far the better pick. His father just can't stay out of his own way. To take quote from Lavar "dude stay in your lane." This guy sucks as a father and a person. Zero respect for women as well he was an absolute jackass to Kristen Leah on The Herd that time he was on there and I'm glad she didn't back down. SO many people are afraid to ask this guy the tough questions and call him out. 

I think the Celtics are just clowning around. It's like Lebron's Mia teams or GS. The regular season doesn't mean #### in the NBA when you know you have a legit shot making your conference finals and the Finals every year. It's almost pointless following the regular season anymore. Most of the better teams won't turn it on till playoff time and why not? Why waste energy needed for the post season and possible risk injury for part of the season that doesn't mean ####? 
Looking at the schedule paints a better picture. It is like the Sixers last year wwhen they ended on the 17 game winning streak. it was impressive, but the competition wasn't that high (except for Cavs and 1 or 2 other teams). looking at who the Celtics played over the last 2 months, they played like 2 teams with winning records (Tor and GS) where they went 1-1. after the all-star break they seem to have a tougher part of their schedule so that should clarify where they actually stand

Looking at the schedule paints a better picture. It is like the Sixers last year wwhen they ended on the 17 game winning streak. it was impressive, but the competition wasn't that high (except for Cavs and 1 or 2 other teams). looking at who the Celtics played over the last 2 months, they played like 2 teams with winning records (Tor and GS) where they went 1-1. after the all-star break they seem to have a tougher part of their schedule so that should clarify where they actually stand
It's nice that you brought up the schedule especially the Sixers last year. You know I went all in on the schedule thing for months with the Sixers. They had the hardest part beginning of the year which I believe was the top 3 hardest schedule in the 1st half. 2nd half they had one of the top 3 easiest. When Embiid was out for the 2-3 weeks (I can't remember exactly but it was long enough) and Simmons had to be the guy Ben looked absolutely lost and the Sixers looked like a below .500 team. With Embiid and playing that schedule the first half they were barely .500. When Embiid was out again end of the season they had one of the easier schedules. I ultimately said that if the Sixers had their schedules switched Easier part first half harder the 2nd I think they would've barely limped into the Post Season. When I mean barely I mean as one of the top 3-4 teams considering how bad the East has been. Unfortunately not many people were listening or didn't want to admit to it.

We'll see what happens with Boston which their schedule should indicate how good they are. And by no means am I saying Phi was a bad team last year. More so the counting stats were deceiving. Lets be honest it took some circus shots by JJ and Marco to beat MIA last year and to even make it a series vs Bos last year. Embiid was non existent the 2nd halves of the Boston games and Simmons went MIA after the first round. IMHO a stronger East I think they'd have been a #5-6 seed with how they were constructedI think having Butler and Simmons will help this year. I just don't see them as a NBA Finals threat to GS. Last year the Sixers basically showed me they can beat the teams they should but weren't ready for the big stage yet. I think a lot of Sixers fans didn't want to admit to that and some are became impatient.  I still don't trust their depth outside of Boban who I think is a great back up for Embiid. I didn't like the Harris trade as I think a slight upgrade at the 4 was needed and he's not really a 4. They probably could've gotten Mirotic for less and I'd love to hear what caused the snag between them and NO on that. I just feel the Harris move smells more of desperation and their lack of confidence of possible keeping Butler long term. I could be wrong on that but thats what I got out of the Harris trade. I just don't think harris is a max guy either. 

And I just realized last night when I fired up my 2k19 game the Bulls got TLC in a trade about a week ago. I don't know how I missed that and then again I've barely watched the last week with other things to take care of. Always liked TLC and didn't think he really got a chance to show what he could do in PHI

Again, I don't understand this.  Who cares what this man says?  I don't get it.  

I wish life had an ignore button like this board does.  
The Media does because it draws ratings. I think the guy is a clown show. The little league parent trying to live through their kids success. Those types of parents suck the most. Had a teammate who's dad was the same way. Yelling at umps, crying about his son's playing time etc. Kid was a great player and seemed like he didn't care like his dad. His dad had him over pitch and work out too much where in HS he was being recruited by the likes of some of the top D1 Baseball schools until he blew out his pitching shoulder and elbow because of dad. Lost the scholarships ended up leaving baseball. If dad wasn't such a clown and ignorant fool who knows maybe if his son reaches the majors. Heck even if he became a career minor leaguer pitching thats still better then most people. But dad decided to be selfish 

@TobiasFunke  What are your thoughts on the Washington-Chicago trade?
I'm glad they're rid of Porter's contract, but I don't trust Grunfeld to cut bait on Portis and Parker this summer like he should.  Ultimately nothing changes with this franchise until Grunfeld is gone and ownership faces reality. They need a full Philly-style prolonged tank job. It's the only way they'll return to relevance after the Wall injury and the likely end of his time as an all-star caliber player.  That probably means dealing Beal this summer, because he's the only asset that can get a decent return and also because he would likely cost them ping-pong balls over the next couple seasons by being good at basketball.

I have no idea what Chicago is doing. Porter has regressed quite a bit this season. Maybe they figure they'll be tanking for the next two season anyway so might as well get a nice guy who can mentor their future lottery picks and help them hit the salary floor?

I'm glad they're rid of Porter's contract, but I don't trust Grunfeld to cut bait on Portis and Parker this summer like he should.  Ultimately nothing changes with this franchise until Grunfeld is gone and ownership faces reality. They need a full Philly-style prolonged tank job. It's the only way they'll return to relevance after the Wall injury and the likely end of his time as an all-star caliber player.  That probably means dealing Beal this summer, because he's the only asset that can get a decent return and also because he would likely cost them ping-pong balls over the next couple seasons by being good at basketball.

I have no idea what Chicago is doing. Porter has regressed quite a bit this season. Maybe they figure they'll be tanking for the next two season anyway so might as well get a nice guy who can mentor their future lottery picks and help them hit the salary floor?
yeah Was is in bad shape. I think they need to use the Beal trade as a way to unload Wall. without unloading that Wall contract you are tied into 4 years already. have to start there and get as many draft picks and young assets they can. Grabbing a guy like Fultz would have made a ton of sense for them, despite the fact that they have Beal and Wall already under contract.

I assume Parker was just an expiring contract.  They must have some interest in Portis.  He has some value around the league and could have been flipped to another team if Washington didn't want him.  He is a skilled offensive player and has improved his game each year.  Not very good defensively although he hustles.  Hard worker.  He's a nice guy too, just a bit immature.  He got a bad reputation for knocking out Mirotic that wasn't really deserved.  Bulls offered him an extension at about $9 million per season but he wanted about $16 million (from memory, I might be a little off).  Who knows what he'll end up signing for with Washington or elsewhere.

Hasn't Porter had some nagging injuries?  Why do you think he regressed?  

Bulls knew the top free agents would turn them down and thought Porter is better than whoever else they could get on the market.  They certainly don't want to tank after this season.  You are correct that they wanted a guy that plays the right way and would be a positive influence on the young players.  I'm neutral on the trade.  Not something I would have done but I understand their logic.

There are advanced metrics which paint Porter as a top 20 or so player. I think you can tell which analysts are overly invested in some of these statistical benchmarks by what they think of him. I’m not sure there’s ever been a guy who has such a disparity between what the numbers tell you and what the eye test says. 

Porter is what they wanted Parker to be. A player that can actually play (and defend) the 3 spot.

Parker simply can't defend 3s at all. Which is a problem given 2 of their "building blocks" Lavine and Lauri can't defend either. I'd really really love to know who the #### in their scouting department thought he could play the 3 :lmao:  

Bulls have a high pick incoming and still should have some cap space. I'd be interested to see who people think they should have signed (this summer presumably?)  instead of getting Porter. 

Porter/Lavine/Felicio ( 😮) are the only players not on rookie/minimum deals on the Bulls beyond this year.

They had no business reupping with Portis IMO (another 4-5 guy....thats going to coming off the bench) given Lauri/Carter. Think someone else hit the nail on the head above, the Bulls aren't going to be a destination free agents are wanting to go to this summer. Tobias Harris is likely looking at close to $35 mil/yr contract himself this summer.

Leeroy Jenkins said:
Lonzo’s dad said he was better than Lebron and that the Suns should sign all 3 of his boys and let them play however they want?!?

lonzo was a worse pick than fultz! 
I feel bad for Lonzo.  He seems like a good kid(no idea if true) and I like the way he plays, but he's stuck with an over compensating dad who is sabotaging his career.  Guy works hard to make the NBA and it turns out like this.

And GM is right.  There is no reason for any network to be giving this clown a second of airtime.  At some point integrity has to be more important than clicks.

I feel bad for Lonzo.  He seems like a good kid(no idea if true) and I like the way he plays, but he's stuck with an over compensating dad who is sabotaging his career.  Guy works hard to make the NBA and it turns out like this.

And GM is right.  There is no reason for any network to be giving this clown a second of airtime.  At some point integrity has to be more important than clicks.
Unless Lonzo becomes a star (he very well could do that IMO), his NBA career is going to be short.

His dad has already alienated the Lakers.....and already making demands on his next team ("sign my other 2 boys"). I'm sure that'll go over well. "Hey Devon Booker, sorry we got to bench you for LiAngelo"  :lmao:  

Why he doesnt want Lonzo to go to New Orleans: "It's too cold". "They already have a PG" (Jrue plays the 2....but what's that matter if Lonzo's THAT good). So where does Lavar live right now?  ........Cleveland. :lmao:  

watching the first few minutes of the Sixers-Nuggets game, it is very possible the Sixers go undefeated for the next few years  :loco:

Pretty crazy how Harris is already more loved than Butler on the team, will be interesting to see how that goes this off-season

watching the first few minutes of the Sixers-Nuggets game, it is very possible the Sixers go undefeated for the next few years  :loco:

Pretty crazy how Harris is already more loved than Butler on the team, will be interesting to see how that goes this off-season
I wouldn't invest much in Jimmy Butler Philly jerseys.

Unless Lonzo becomes a star (he very well could do that IMO), his NBA career is going to be short.

His dad has already alienated the Lakers.....and already making demands on his next team ("sign my other 2 boys"). I'm sure that'll go over well. "Hey Devon Booker, sorry we got to bench you for LiAngelo"  :lmao:  

Why he doesnt want Lonzo to go to New Orleans: "It's too cold". "They already have a PG" (Jrue plays the 2....but what's that matter if Lonzo's THAT good). So where does Lavar live right now?  ........Cleveland. :lmao:  
The Lakers don’t give a #### about Lavar.  Tuned him out a long time ago.  

Bucks acquire a future 2nd round pick, suspended player Jodie Meeks and cash for a future 2nd round pick from the Wizards

Meeks expected to be waived

uhhhhh.... what?

washington has been teetering on the tax line all summer.  i assume that this gives them slightly more breathing room and milwaukee will pick up a better second round pick in the future for their trouble.

and this pick, plus another 2nd that Milwaukee pulled from WAS in December in a similar move for Jason Smith, were integral to landing Mirotic.

Philly could really use a big who can run.  Just an alley-oop guy.  Rest Embid a bit more and give defenses a different look.

This team will be a juggernaut if Butler wants to sacrifice.  Just be the glue and get the scraps.  Like he did in the second half tonight.

Philly could really use a big who can run.  Just an alley-oop guy.  Rest Embid a bit more and give defenses a different look.

This team will be a juggernaut if Butler wants to sacrifice.  Just be the glue and get the scraps.  Like he did in the second half tonight.
yeah his name is jonah bolden

With the fans or teammates?  

Butler is a #####, don't we know that already?
with the fans definitely. will be an interesting summer. playoffs really will dictate how some of these teams look this year. Jimmy seemed like his head was in the game tonight, he keeps that up team will go deep and will increase his chance of getting a nice offer. if not, Jimmy is first out i'm guessing

with the fans definitely. will be an interesting summer. playoffs really will dictate how some of these teams look this year. Jimmy seemed like his head was in the game tonight, he keeps that up team will go deep and will increase his chance of getting a nice offer. if not, Jimmy is first out i'm guessing
Where was J Simmons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread