What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interested to see what happens with Denver--Isaiah Thomas (if you believe the buzz) is two or so weeks from coming back. They are playing so well, I don't know if this disrupts the rotation or what impact it will have. Then you have the Porter wildcard out there--will he be shutdown for the year or available for the playoff run.  I can't remember another Nuggets year I have been this hopefully/excited for. 

Most national sportswriters either are or have been based in NY and they are so harsh on this because history teaches them that Knickerbocker KD/Kyrie-type dreams have always ended in Butler/Boogie realities.

And Porzingis still is a unicorn. 7'3 may indeed never hold up long-term, but you can't call him an attitude problem for finally being Knicksick after four years of Dolan/Jackson. He has no idea an owner can be like Cuban yet. There are some scheme challenges for Carlisle, but NO competent coach wouldn't love to take on the Twonicorns™
Last round the Mavs won in the playoffs was 2011, the finals.  since then, nada.  The Mavs and Cuban aren’t exactly the 80s Celts or Lakers here.  KP never showed an inclination he wanted to be in NY.  maybe it wasn’t for him or his brother.  This is the first year after Jackson was jettisoned and KP didn’t like the path?  They are losing cause he isn’t on the court, which is pretty commonplace for him.  If he’s an all-star the next 8 years, Mavs did great.  But maxing him out could also turn into an albatross.

Frostillicus said:
Anthony Davis's dad doesn't want him to play for Boston because of the way the treated Isaiah Thomas!  Wikkid!
Right?!  The nerve of Ainge to flip a damaged IT after a lifelong career of three whole seasons in Boston for Kyrie, and keep that Celtics arrow skyrocketing up.  The nerve.  No loyalty at all. :doh:

(All of this fatherly nonsense as AD just threw in the towel publicly on the Pels.  :lmao: )

And I get it.  IT really did lay it all on the line for that franchise. But that’s what players do sometimes.  And sometimes GMs have to make awful decisions for the betterment of the franchise, IT for Kyrie being one such example.

Right?!  The nerve of Ainge to flip a damaged IT after a lifelong career of three whole seasons in Boston for Kyrie, and keep that Celtics arrow skyrocketing up.  The nerve.  No loyalty at all. :doh:

(All of this fatherly nonsense as AD just threw in the towel publicly on the Pels.  :lmao: )

And I get it.  IT really did lay it all on the line for that franchise. But that’s what players do sometimes.  And sometimes GMs have to make awful decisions for the betterment of the franchise, IT for Kyrie being one such example.
This line that AD and his father shouldn’t care that Ainge threw IT to the curb is high comedy.  Of course they should care.  Just like Porzingis cares about what the Knicks have done in the past and like LeBron cared what Gilbert did in the past.  History matters and while we like to think of these moves in fantasy terms, at the end of the day the players also care about what has happened in the past to their friends.  Sometimes they what to look past that history, other times they don’t.  More power to them since the only thing that should really matter to them is their life and happiness.

This line that AD and his father shouldn’t care that Ainge threw IT to the curb is high comedy.  Of course they should care. 
The high comedy part is AD's father whining about a team being unfair to a player by trading him, all the while his son is holding a team hostage because he wants to be traded. 

This line that AD and his father shouldn’t care that Ainge threw IT to the curb is high comedy.  Of course they should care.  Just like Porzingis cares about what the Knicks have done in the past and like LeBron cared what Gilbert did in the past.  History matters and while we like to think of these moves in fantasy terms, at the end of the day the players also care about what has happened in the past to their friends.  Sometimes they what to look past that history, other times they don’t.  More power to them since the only thing that should really matter to them is their life and happiness.
I never said they shouldn’t care.  It’s ridiculous (IMO) that AD’s father would essentially say “I’m not interested in him playing for the Celtics because of what they did to IT and how unloyal that was” within days of his son essentially ####ting publicly on his franchise because he can’t even get them into the playoffs.  The last thing AD and his dad should be preaching about right now is loyalty.  Now that’s high comedy. 

And while we’re on the subject, singling out the Boston Celtics and a singular case of “non-loyalty” by trading a player whom spent three whole seasons with the team and a trade which turned out to be without a doubt the right move for the organization (sans the “loyalty” crap) is a bit short-sighted when thinking about the Celtics’ history of loyalty to its star players. So dumb.

All of these things can be true:

- Davis’s camp complaining about loyalty is tone deaf 

- Ainge’s IT trade was shrewd and good for the franchise

- Some players think less (and are entitled to do so) of Ainge/the Celtics for the IT trade after IT gutted through injury for them during the playoffs

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost 60 years a fan, never seen a player leave it on the floor (including dominating like Harden @ 5'7 on sheer will, as well as the play-hurt/grieved) like the Leprechaun did his last season in Green. Can't argue the strategics of it if they knew the extent of IT infirmity, but still wouldna did it.

General Malaise said:
Teams like Portland, Indiana, Charlotte, etc...the smaller market teams just have no shot.  It's very hard to be a fan of a team you know just can't compete because the best players won't be an option for your team.  Ever.  I still go to Portland games, but it's less and less every year and I almost never watch them on TV.  What's the point?  Another first round exit is almost a foregone conclusion every year.  I hope Dame gets a chance to play for a megateam at some point.  Good dude, good player.  Not his fault nobody wants to play here.  

Wel, except Evan Turner.   :X
I think it comes down to what do you want to get out of fandom. If the only thing you care about is a championship then sure, the odds are that happening are very slim. But ultimately how much would that really impact your life? It’s fun while it happens then you get up and go to work the next day. I’m very satisfied with the level of entertainment I get out of the Thunder 50+ times a year or whatever. I’d much rather root for a team that consistently makes the playoffs and generally has fun players than worry about tanking and whether or not some rich guy is using his money in an efficient manner to try and build towards a championship. Odds are after everything Philly went through they still won’t win a championship with that group.

Portland makes the playoffs every year and you get to watch Dame. To me that is not a hard team to root for.

I think it comes down to what do you want to get out of fandom. If the only thing you care about is a championship then sure, the odds are that happening are very slim. But ultimately how much would that really impact your life? It’s fun while it happens then you get up and go to work the next day. I’m very satisfied with the level of entertainment I get out of the Thunder 50+ times a year or whatever. I’d much rather root for a team that consistently makes the playoffs and generally has fun players than worry about tanking and whether or not some rich guy is using his money in an efficient manner to try and build towards a championship. Odds are after everything Philly went through they still won’t win a championship with that group.

Portland makes the playoffs every year and you get to watch Dame. To me that is not a hard team to root for.
I'm heading this general way in my fandom. I used to loooove sportstalk, but 5+ yrs of Boston's media magpies and the general starchasing of sports broadcasting have worn me down. As a fan of Boston teams, i feel more spoiled by the coaching/quality-of-play than by the actual stars or achievements of the teams. The defensive schemes Belichick pulled out his butt to beat the Chargers and Chiefs and the fact that i'll be no more thrilled by Kyries & ADs than i was by ITs & ABs because i know i get to watch a team with a scheme play someone without one most of the time for as long as we have St Stevens. Gimme dat and you can have your starballers.

I'm heading this general way in my fandom. I used to loooove sportstalk, but 5+ yrs of Boston's media magpies and the general starchasing of sports broadcasting have worn me down. As a fan of Boston teams, i feel more spoiled by the coaching/quality-of-play than by the actual stars or achievements of the teams. The defensive schemes Belichick pulled out his butt to beat the Chargers and Chiefs and the fact that i'll be no more thrilled by Kyries & ADs than i was by ITs & ABs because i know i get to watch a team with a scheme play someone without one most of the time for as long as we have St Stevens. Gimme dat and you can have your starballers.
if we want to talk peak fandom, people should have followed the "Process". Sixers were a 4-7 seed in the playoffs with no chance of winning a championship. Being stuck in purgatory sucks if you ask me. Blowing it up, and acquiring young stars with huge potential is a ton of fun. Watching where Embiid and Simmons can take their careers, watching guys like Covington and McConnell work that asses off with quality playing time, was really a good time. A good chunk of Sixers fans now liked it much better during those years than the current year. 

that was fun. When it comes to basketball give me a torn up bottom team with a plan or a team that can win a championship. No thanks for those middle teams that are fooling themselves

if we want to talk peak fandom, people should have followed the "Process". Sixers were a 4-7 seed in the playoffs with no chance of winning a championship. Being stuck in purgatory sucks if you ask me. Blowing it up, and acquiring young stars with huge potential is a ton of fun. Watching where Embiid and Simmons can take their careers, watching guys like Covington and McConnell work that asses off with quality playing time, was really a good time. A good chunk of Sixers fans now liked it much better during those years than the current year. 

that was fun. When it comes to basketball give me a torn up bottom team with a plan or a team that can win a championship. No thanks for those middle teams that are fooling themselves
During the darkest part of The Process, fans weren't tuning in.

Til you get a coach - one who can devise a 2-man game between their stars in less than 3 yrs and, before the end of time, figure out that defending the ball up top is where they're missing out - there aint no Pro in Process.

I'd be tanking HARD for Zion. Man is an absolute monster. He made a move today in traffic that I still don't believe he made, to be THAT big and move that effortlessly is just complete freak mode. 

Yeah, the Bulls are screwing up their tank job. Hopefully the Knicks trade will equal a couple more wins this season. 

NBA cant send Zion to Cleveland or Phoenix.

I'd be tanking HARD for Zion. Man is an absolute monster. He made a move today in traffic that I still don't believe he made, to be THAT big and move that effortlessly is just complete freak mode. 
He feels pretty bust proof, assuming that body type/athleticism holds up.  If he firms up his perimeter game, look out. 

And he’s by far the most marketable player to come out of college since Shaq.  Whoever lands him will have a jersey in the top ten in sales from day one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the Bulls are screwing up their tank job. Hopefully the Knicks trade will equal a couple more wins this season. 

NBA cant send Zion to Cleveland or Phoenix.
knicks will buy our not play jordan and matthews.  they won’t screw up the top 3 lottery.

In the Denver/Houston game, Houston had a defensive switch that inexplicably left Austin Rivers one-on-one with Nikola Jokic down in the post.

The look of absolute terror on River's face is .gif material. 

I don’t follow basketball, and watched the Warriors-Lakers tonight. That Cousins guy is kind of a ####.
Loved seeing Cousins dunk on a guy and then stare him down.  It was a phenomenal play.   That team needed another guy who won't back down, because when the playoffs start and the NBA decides to let defenses beat the #### out of Curry and Durant (like they do every year), Boogie can pair with Draymond to throw a little back at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread