Capella

2018-19 NBA Thread: Lakers sign Mussolini

4,387 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

25 minutes ago, modogg said:

i am just not seeing it. were Lakers better than Cavs without Lebron? Lakers certainly young and have upside, but 1/3 of the league was actively tanking at various points last year when Lakers had no incentive to. they are young, but i just can't see it.

i think when Lebron says his family will weigh in heavily with this decision he is saying he doesn't want to force them to move a ton. if he was still in his 1 year deals maybe, but i can't see a reason why he goes to LA

Its actually brilliant.  Lebron can say after extensive talks with my family, we decided to go to xxxx team.  No damn way is he letting his wife and kids make this decision though, but he can deflect any feedback by bringing his family in as part of the decision making process.

Lakers have the one greatest asset you need in free agency.  Actual cap space.  You can't compare what the Lakers have now to what they will be with two max free agents.  They can then flip Ingram, Ball, or Kuzma and draft picks on the backside for a top 30 type player (Kemba?) that decides they want to get out of xxxx town and the GM doesn't want to get stuck with nothing (see Kyrie and PG last year).

And then the Lakers have three top 30 players if they play it right.  Makes all the sense in the world to me, has for weeks...

Edited by flranger
1 person likes this

I have a really good feeling about this thread

9 people like this

32 minutes ago, modogg said:

i am just not seeing it. were Lakers better than Cavs without Lebron? Lakers certainly young and have upside, but 1/3 of the league was actively tanking at various points last year when Lakers had no incentive to. they are young, but i just can't see it.

i think when Lebron says his family will weigh in heavily with this decision he is saying he doesn't want to force them to move a ton. if he was still in his 1 year deals maybe, but i can't see a reason why he goes to LA

It has little to do with basketball. 

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, flranger said:

Its actually brilliant.  Lebron can say after extensive talks with my family, we decided to go to xxxx team.  No damn way is he letting his wife and kids make this decision though, but he can deflect any feedback by bringing his family in as part of the decision making process.

Lakers have the one greatest asset you need in free agency.  Actual cap space.  You can't compare what the Lakers have now to what they will be with two max free agents.  They can then flip Ingram, Ball, or Kuzma and draft picks on the backside for a top 30 type player (Kemba?) that decides they want to get out of xxxx town and the GM doesn't want to get stuck with nothing (see Kyrie and PG last year).

And then the Lakers have three top 30 players if they play it right.  Makes all the sense in the world to me, has for weeks...

Could not agree with this more...pretty simple...and you didn't even touch on the off-the-court stuff...

1 minute ago, Frostillicus said:

It has little to do with basketball. 

if that is the case, then yeah there are only 1 or 2 options he is likely interested. If that is the case i am more surprised to not hear NY mentioned.

all i know is you could see smoke coming out of Lebron's head this year playing with that Cavs team. i can only imagine the excitement he would have 30 games into a season with the Lakers

1 minute ago, modogg said:

if that is the case, then yeah there are only 1 or 2 options he is likely interested. If that is the case i am more surprised to not hear NY mentioned.

all i know is you could see smoke coming out of Lebron's head this year playing with that Cavs team. i can only imagine the excitement he would have 30 games into a season with the Lakers

I think LeBron would love to play for the Knicks if they weren't such a train wreck...the Knicks do not get enough credit for how badly run they have been...it is it pretty impressive that a franchise that should be a magnet for stars has figured out a way to not attract them...

2 people like this

1 minute ago, Boston said:

I think LeBron would love to play for the Knicks if they weren't such a train wreck...the Knicks do not get enough credit for how badly run they have been...it is it pretty impressive that a franchise that should be a magnet for stars has figured out a way to not attract them...

Agreed. LA can give him that big market business rich guy stuff and he’s going into a palatable basketball situation. New York not so much. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

i don't know, i just keep adding to "Lebron to the Sixers" as the odds keep looking good :scared:

Edited by modogg

28 minutes ago, modogg said:

i don't know, i just keep adding to "Lebron to the Sixers" as the odds keep looking good :scared:

You might be right, but the fact that you can't see the Lakers or other teams should put up red flags for yourself. You have tunnel vision.

2 people like this

15 minutes ago, msudaisy26 said:

You might be right, but the fact that you can't see the Lakers or other teams should put up red flags for yourself. You have tunnel vision.

houston never made sense to me. i think Spurs are a dark horse possibility, and i am sure there are other teams. i just can't see a team like the Lakers come completely out of nowhere (they have talked about this for the better part of the year). if the Lakers were a possibility i would have thought we would have heard a rumbling or 2 during the year

40 minutes ago, modogg said:

Dwyane Wade weighs in:

“To me, I don’t think it’s a basketball thing,” Wade said. “Obviously, he’s shown this year he can get to the Finals no matter what the circumstances are. I don’t really think, for him, (it’s a) basketball decision of saying, ‘Oh, let me go team up with three All-Stars.’ 

“I think at this point in his life, it’s more so of a lifestyle thing of where my family is going to be the most comfortable and where I’m going to be the happiest. Because basketball-wise, he’s so great, he can bring along and take along whoever.”

So we hear his wife wants to be in LA and 43 million dollars worth of homes pretty much validates it. Maybe Gary Payton was right saying little Bronny had enrolled in an LA area school. Maybe he's a fool. But Lebron gonna be a Laker. I suggest the NBA demote the eastern conference to minor league status soon thereafter.

2 people like this

Just now, Chaos Commish said:

Dwyane Wade weighs in:

So we hear his wife wants to be in LA and 43 million dollars worth of homes pretty much validates it. Maybe Gary Payton was right saying little Bronny had enrolled in an LA area school. Maybe he's a fool. But Lebron gonna be a Laker. I suggest the NBA demote the eastern conference to minor league status soon thereafter.

:shock:

8 minutes ago, Chaos Commish said:

I suggest the NBA demote the eastern conference to minor league status soon thereafter.

The East will get stronger when he heads West, elite players that can't join LA or GS will migrate to the Boston/Philly type teams to get away from the Warriors and Lebron.

Anyone want to bet against him going to LA?  Will likely not pay if I lose. 

10 people like this

1 minute ago, Frostillicus said:

Is that Rick Fox's wife?

11 minutes ago, Frostillicus said:

Sure...I'll go $100 and definitely not pay you if I lose.

2 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Sure...I'll go $100 and definitely not pay you if I lose.

My internet is breaking up I can’t hear you. 

2 people like this

if Lebron signs with the Lakers this July, Michael Jordan is the best player ever. no doubt

F it:

BOSTON CELTICS

+1394WHICH TEAM WILL L.JAMES BE ON 1ST RS GM OF 2018-19

Risking: $70.00  To win: $975.80

2 people like this

Can’t count out Lebron’s love for Pop. Heard they’re meeting soon.  Lakers are the leaders in the clubhouse but Pop works magic.  

Posted (edited)

Can't believe you all are wasting time on LeBron speculation when we could be having this amazing Steph Curry Ring of Protection discussion.

Edited by TobiasFunke
5 people like this

8 hours ago, Frostillicus said:

Weebs?

6 hours ago, Good Posting Judge said:

F it:

:thumbup:

Great value.

If nation wide gambling on NBA games was legal this season would the Cavs or James be fined for not disclosing his hand injury? Is there something in their CBA that says injuries can be hidden? In the NFL you have to put a guy on the injury report for even the smallest injury or face fines and I'm pretty sure that's all because of gambling.

:excited: 

23 minutes ago, Raging weasel said:

If nation wide gambling on NBA games was legal this season would the Cavs or James be fined for not disclosing his hand injury? Is there something in their CBA that says injuries can be hidden? In the NFL you have to put a guy on the injury report for even the smallest injury or face fines and I'm pretty sure that's all because of gambling.

my understanding is that the nba policy is far more lax and even if you were to misrepresent an injury prior to a game, the punishments are unclear.  It could be interesting moving forward with the gambling because it is a priority of Silver's and there have been some rumblings that that is the real reason that he's been so hard on the tanking and on transparency of officiating.

4 entertainment industry sources have told a Lakers insider Bron is coming to LA. It's done. Take the +200.

10 hours ago, msudaisy26 said:

There's a slight difference between "not to the Lakers" and "won't win a championship with the Lakers"

8 hours ago, modogg said:

if Lebron signs with the Lakers this July, Michael Jordan is the best player ever. no doubt

Why is that?  I thought MJ nut-huggers were allover the premise that it is better to get swept in the first round than in the Finals.

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, Charlie Harper said:

Any way Clippers can grab LBJ instead?

Assuming Rivers and Jordan opt in or are kept, they are over the cap.  They would have a lot of work to do.  

Edited by Juxtatarot

1 hour ago, Short Corner said:

:thumbup:

Great value.

Also gonna keep my eyeball on Boston to win the East. Seems very likely if James lands in the West or in Boston, obviously.

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, modogg said:

I'm more impressed with James' ability to drag otherwise-lotto teams to the Finals than Jordan getting otherwise-2nd round playoff teams to titles.

5 people like this

If the Lakers sign Lebron and George then are able to trade for Anthony Davis you think they could compete with the Dubs?

Assuming all the youth they have accumulated is out the door(Kuz, Ingram, Randle, Ball). Would that plus picks be enough to even land Davis? :coffee:

1 minute ago, Kraft... said:

If the Lakers sign Lebron and George then are able to trade for Anthony Davis you think they could compete with the Dubs?

Assuming all the youth they have accumulated is out the door(Kuz, Ingram, Randle, Ball). Would that plus picks be enough to even land Davis? :coffee:

Yes. That would put them squarely in the discussion. Now add Durant and Boogie.

Wow, it werent this way a wk or so ago when cappy & i bet. With the support of all this genius, i'm actually starting to doubt my side....

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

36 minutes ago, Kraft... said:

Once they signed LeBron and George, they would be at the salary cap and in a salary match situation. The Lakers would likely have to offer Deng to apply to the salary matching, throw in a couple of the kids (Ball / Ingram / Kuzma), and offer a couple of first rounders to even get New Orleans to pick up the phone. IMO, if AD was on the trading block, the Celtics have a lot more to offer that the Lakers do. And I doubt the Pelicans would be that enthralled with the Lakers trade package.

Edited by Anarchy99