Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Capella

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at

12 minutes ago, Insein said:

It improves the perimeter defense immediately. We can always add shooters as we go.

You think so?  I thought Covington was one of the best defenders in the NBA?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pipes said:

They’ll need them with all the bricks they’ll be throwing up.  Philly’s outside shooting went from mediocre to terrible.  Butler’s good but I don’t like this trade for them.

17 minutes ago, Insein said:

It improves the perimeter defense immediately. We can always add shooters as we go.

It is an interesting argument.  I think the thing is that ultimately they had no perimeter shutdown player and they had very little way to deal with Boston or Toronto in that respect.  Butler at least has  to be respected on his outside shot, so I think that the spacing will be ok.  A starting lineup of Ben, jj, jimmy, embiid and shamet (?) should space enough.  Maybe chandler will be the 5th starter ( when it really counts and the fultz experiment is done) though I’m not excited about him so far.

the bigger challenge may be that now they have three very ball dominant guys in the starting lineup and how that offense will work.  I guess they feel like the defensive potential was more important.

definitely a big bet by the sixers.  I wonder if this deal was offered for kawhi.  I forget the reporting on that, though I know there were stories that sa wanted Ben or jo or nothing.

Edited by Long Ball Larry
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pipes said:

Yes, but he is an excellent team defender and not as good of a man defender.  Butler will be better for sure.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, modogg said:

i don't think Butler will settle down, and if he doesn't that won't work in Philadelphia like it did in Minny. Fans and team will bury him quick, and Embiid and Simmons won't shirk away if he starts talking #### to them. 

From a Process point of view, would have loved to see a way for the Sixers to get Wiggins. 

Pretty sure my 2nd favorite NBA has officially become the T-Wolves

What the hell would you want wiggins for on that deal?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, GOB said:

What is Simmons gonna say to Butler besides yes sir and thank you?

comparing 2 opposite worlds with these teams. Between Embiid, SImmons, Amir Johnson, JJ Reddick, and a few others, there won't be any major pouting.  I also don't blame Jimmy for what he did either, he really wanted out. and he proved his point taking the scrubs in Minny and beating the 1st team in practices, so he is welcome here

15 minutes ago, modogg said:

comparing 2 opposite worlds with these teams. Between Embiid, SImmons, Amir Johnson, JJ Reddick, and a few others, there won't be any major pouting.  I also don't blame Jimmy for what he did either, he really wanted out. and he proved his point taking the scrubs in Minny and beating the 1st team in practices, so he is welcome here

Enjoy him lol. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Pipes said:

That was yesterday.

Great deal for Sixers. 

So torn on this.  Am iffy on the addition, but I am kind of surprised how little we gave up.  Like some others said, Saric was likely going to leave or cost too much to re-sign.

Woj reporting that Jimmy is expected to sign a long term contract in Philly this summer. 

Magic haven't made the playoffs since Jimmy Butler went to the West. 

Orlando real winners of the trade.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

best part of this is we can continue to hear nothing but peeps out of Boston. Getting beat up by the Jazz yesterday, so they are so 2017. You got the big 3 of Tortonto, Milwaukee, and Philly. Celtics are soon to be the Wizards

• Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

59 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Markkanen, LaVine, Dunn vs. Covington, Saric, Bayless and a second.

it weird considering Houston offerred 4 1sts too. though to be honest, everyone made a big deal out of that but each of those 1sts is likely in the 20's or so, so not really worth a ton

Adrian Wojnarowski: Ownership was heavily involved in the trade talks, with Philadelphia’s Josh Harris and Minnesota’s Glen Taylor working closely with management on executing a deal, sources tell @Brian Windhorst and me.

6 minutes ago, GOB said:

Magic haven't made the playoffs since Jimmy Butler went to the West. 

Orlando real winners of the trade.

and looking at all reports and twitter, it seems Fultz is the immediate loser in this. Man, people are mean. 

Jimmy being able to take a backseat will be what decides if this deal works. However, Simmons needs the ball in his hands and so does Jimmy. Butler is decent enough that he can play off the ball, but again...that's only if he's willing. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, modogg said:

it weird considering Houston offerred 4 1sts too. though to be honest, everyone made a big deal out of that but each of those 1sts is likely in the 20's or so, so not really worth a ton

Man i dunno. As good as they were last year, i could see them start to slow down. 

• Like 1

yeesh - in less than a month, Celts drop to 4th-best team in the East....Saric will be huge up north,  good for Minny too.

ETA: *resumes thread boycott*

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Simmons moves the start at the 4?

fultz-reddick-butler-simmons-embid 

Simmons doesn't have near as much value out as the 4.  He may become more of a true point guard, and look to set up jj, butler, and embiid.  I love the way the team looks when Ben is aggressive as a scorer though, so we'll see how this all moulds together.

25 minutes ago, Deamon said:

Simmons doesn't have near as much value out as the 4.  He may become more of a true point guard, and look to set up jj, butler, and embiid.  I love the way the team looks when Ben is aggressive as a scorer though, so we'll see how this all moulds together.

They have been looking nice when fultz is at the 1 and Simmons at 4 of late. 

2 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

They have been looking nice when fultz is at the 1 and Simmons at 4 of late. 

They would look even better with Fultz in the garbage can.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Good Posting Judge said:

Possibly. His free throws look worse than mine. 

Thank god we got rid of this cancer. I can finally care about the NBA again

• Like 2

I don't know if Butler, Embiid and Simmons is enough....but I guess PHI got the three "superstars" they think one needs to compete for a title in the NBA.  

Nice that they didn't give up that MIA pick.  

2 hours ago, Good Posting Judge said:

Man i dunno. As good as they were last year, i could see them start to slow down. 

As is..but you add Jimmy and they're just as good as last year. Ariza was a huge loss.

1 minute ago, Charlie Harper said:

As is..but you add Jimmy and they're just as good as last year. Ariza was a huge loss.

Chris Paul is also probably a couple years away from being trash, thankfully.

21 minutes ago, Charlie Harper said:

yeah, but not in 3 or 5 or 7 years.

1 hour ago, Good Posting Judge said:

Yup. Fultz is owed something like $10m next year, he seems more like a salary dump candidate than someone who could realistically help them. 

i think the hyped off-season isn't going to be as exciting as this one we just had now. Not even sure which big names will move in free agency. will KD really join the Lakers? i like Magic already declaring he will get another top player by next year. Klay isn't going anywhere, really realistic movers are Kawhi and Kyrie. and if i'm betting now Kawhi stays with the Raptors

1 hour ago, Long Ball Larry said:

yeah, but not in 3 or 5 or 7 years.

Ah. If that's this draft picks offered, I would have done that as long as it isn't heavily protected.

5 hours ago, Deamon said:

So torn on this.  Am iffy on the addition, but I am kind of surprised how little we gave up.  Like some others said, Saric was likely going to leave or cost too much to re-sign.

Woj reporting that Jimmy is expected to sign a long term contract in Philly this summer. 

HE'S honestly not worth the money he wants max wise if he keeps his #### up. I really like JB at first when he got to the Bulls. Loved the overall story and he was so humble. Then the minute he got his contract he acted like his #### don't stink and started causing problems with the Veterans. Had some issues with Rose and then Noah and other vets like Deng at certain points. Went after Rondo who going by history his time in CHI was by far one of the least eventful in terms of issues with him. he called him out and others publicly with Wade which was so unlike Wade then started having issues with him . Butler talked his way out of CHI. Then the issues with Minny pop up. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a report saying if Jimmy Stayed KAT told MInny he wouldn't sign an extension? Then 2 months ago we get some stuff about KAT finding out Butler was sleeping with his girl. I loved Jimmy at first but after he got his contract he just wasn't humble anymore. Everything became about him him him. Has now caused issues in two locker rooms. 

Bulls Social media is already taking bets on the O/U how long it takes Jimmy to start butting heads with people there especially Embiid and ruin the Sixers already. Not the type of reputation you want for a player. You know Butler will only take Joel's immaturity to an extent and clowning around for so long. Brown also seems like the type of coach a guy like Butler would walk all over on and then some. The Sixers didn't give up a whole lot. Saric is incredible inconsistent a poor man Toni Kukoc as I've constantly said and RoCo is hot and cold. They finally get rid of Bayless contract. I do like them taking Patton the young C as a nice piece to help rest Embiid from time to time. Butler is one of the best Two way players and top 10 when it comes to overall Defense. His offensive game he's pretty ball dominate though and doesn't create much himself. Having Ben passing should help However Butler did seem to fade away at times in games he was needed and the last few yrs when he isn't getting his started to pout and act like a diva. If I'm Philly overall I wait and see how this plays out before full blown going in on Butler. Because if you overpay him and things go bad they are up ####s creek without a paddle.

Says a lot about Butler also these days when All Minny could get is Saric, Roco, Bayless and a 2022 2ND. Draft night trade of Butler I was pretty mixed. Loved getting Lavine and Lauri and thought Kriss Dunn could become something but I thought more could've been had for JB at the time. Now with everything going on I'm extatic about the move. Lauri could be the next best shooting from outside 7 FT since Dirk (Not saying he'll be close to Dirk but I think he can be the best out of any of the Stretch 4 since Dirk talent wise), Lavine seems to have his explosiveness back he had pre injury and a top scorer already and Dunn developed a decent jumper last year with more time to the point you have to be honest as a defense and not leave him open for three as he could hit it from time to time. I'll take 3 young building blocks like that over still having Butler and his overpaid diva act any day. 

5 hours ago, modogg said:

Could've traded them for another super star or traded up in the draft or two with those though. 4 First for Butler is a huge overpay and if I was the Wolves I would've asked them what time would you like JB to arrive in You by sent the notice to the league for approval as fast as I could and hope the trade goes through approved before Houston knew what hit em. 

Edited by DJackson10

On 11/2/2018 at 10:34 PM, The Kansas Comet said:

Calling Parker mediocre is probably the nicest thing anyone has said about his game.

Basically JR Smith without LeBron as a babysitter. 

6 hours ago, modogg said:

Thats what the T'Wolves fans said when they got him from us and look what happened. If you think Butler will put up with Embiid's antics you are deadly mistaken especially if they go through a streak of struggling. Jimmy isn't afraid of publicly throwing teammates under the bus either. Ask Rondo about that. And Ben sure as hell better keep his GF in LA for the foreseeable future. 

15 hours ago, General Malaise said:

Fultz for Omer Asik?  Who says no to that?

Free Agency can make trades now? 

6 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

Markkanen, LaVine, Dunn vs. Covington, Saric, Bayless and a second.

:bow:

I definitely think this is an admission Fultz is a colossal bust. The faster the Sixers make him a DNP daily, the quicker they improve.

• Like 1

As a C's fan, I'm much more concerned with how well Milwaukee and Toronto are playing than I am with this Butler trade.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Charlie Harper said:

Ah. If that's this draft picks offered, I would have done that as long as it isn't heavily protected.

well, they can't offer 2 years in a row.  no idea what the protections discussed were, but that would certainly play a part.

though i'm not really sure how you even value a pick 7 years in the future.  so much volatility.  the other problem with that trade was the chriss and knight presumably would have had to be involved, so nothing would have helped thibs in anything resembling the near future.

so this grizzlies apparently have a wrestling ring like at the very top of the stadium and dudes wrestle at halftime and at breaks?  i am seriously nervous watching this, as someone could easily fall right out of the ring and like 80 feet down.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

i am pretty sad to see saric and covington go, just generally speaking.

yeah, but i think it was becoming to become a given. i think the reality that they may not get a big free agent this upcoming summer was sinking in, and they needed to get another top guy. Very hard to get a valuable guy without giving something up in return. Honestly would have loved to see it be Fultz then either guy. but doubt any team would take that, and that just sucks.

But we can move on, looking forward to Jimmy buying in and the Sixers beat up on some teams. Definitely looking forward to the Boston game on Chirstmas Eve now, wasn't so much before this trade. 

48 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

As a C's fan, I'm much more concerned with how well Milwaukee and Toronto are playing than I am with this Butler trade.

as a C's fan, it would seem you guys should be worried about the Suns and Magic this year. You guys are real far from even in a conversation with the upper echelon of the Eastern conference. regression to the mean :stirspot:

6 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

so this grizzlies apparently have a wrestling ring like at the very top of the stadium and dudes wrestle at halftime and at breaks?  i am seriously nervous watching this, as someone could easily fall right out of the ring and like 80 feet down.

wow, that is an absolutely awesome idea

54 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

i am pretty sad to see saric and covington go, just generally speaking.

i am enjoying see more Shamet, TJ and Furkan. tough having 12 potential All-NBA guys on your team, guess they just have to move some and spread the talent to the rest of the league.

side note, i went too heavy on Memphis -4 tonight. How the hell are they winning this game with 9 guys off of a game last night? this one may hurt the wallet :scared:

ETA: not a good sign not seeing much Fultz in this 4th

Edited by modogg

8 minutes ago, modogg said:

i am enjoying see more Shamet, TJ and Furkan. tough having 12 potential All-NBA guys on your team, guess they just have to move some and spread the talent to the rest of the league.

side note, i went too heavy on Memphis -4 tonight. How the hell are they winning this game with 9 guys off of a game last night? this one may hurt the wallet :scared:

ETA: not a good sign not seeing much Fultz in this 4th

2nd OT on the back half of a road back to back after losing 2 starters and -10 in turnovers seems like a recipe for success...

12 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

FOUL FOUL FOUL FOUL FOUL FOUL FOUL

/modogg

:hifive: