What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it didn't, LeBron was getting roasted for losing to the Mavs with the team he built, and then casual fans like yourself wrongly roasted him again when he left the Heat to go back to the Cavs and screwed over Bosh to the tune of him getting 100 million dollar contract and Wade got like 35 from the Heat and 50 more from the Bulls.
Causal? I'm a pretty big NBA fan. It's not my fault the league and fans became a bunch of sheep just accepting this prima donna soft entitlement garbage. I never bought for one second his going back to Cleveland was meaningful. I even actually just posted one of those Facebook memories I made about the LeBron going back to Cleveland was nothing more then a PR stunt and he knew he couldn't win anymore in MIA. LeBron got roasted for good reason losing to Dal too. An over the hill team and he allowed Jason Terry to outscore him in the finals. There's good reason he got roasted there. My post evenrefered to well in a couple of yrs I guess we should just get use to LeBron switching jerseys. Maybe he'lll go to the West coast this time around and Join the Lakers or Spurs. 

Chaos Commish said:
Warriors from +170 to -138 at 5d since Lebron signed (and boogie of course).
oh f me.... spent most of my acct on lebron to philly there anyway but would have let whole balance ride on that

got -280  :kicksrock:

Last edited by a moderator:
What did they do? They lost
:lmao: The Warriors got lucky, anyone that watches knows that. It wasn't some cake walk like everyone in here said. They could have easily lost that series.

It is funny how none of you guys were chirping when the Warriors were down 3 - 2 and now it is over and you want to act like it was a forgone conclusion.

When the Bulls won 72 games, then 69, then 62 while winning 3 straight titles did you think the league would fold? How about when Shaq and Kobe won 3 in a row? Maybe when Celtics won 8 in a row and like 11 out of 13? Why are we still here then?
To be fair those teams never had an all star at every position. And arguable if the guys keep playing the way they do future HoFers too. 

This didn't happen.
It was the talk of the Olympics the year before of him Wade and Bosh talking. As the year progressed more and more reports surface LeBron was leaving. No one ever thought he'd team up with them in Cleveland after what the team was doing with Gilbert. 

Causal? I'm a pretty big NBA fan. It's not my fault the league and fans became a bunch of sheep just accepting this prima donna soft entitlement garbage. I never bought for one second his going back to Cleveland was meaningful. I even actually just posted one of those Facebook memories I made about the LeBron going back to Cleveland was nothing more then a PR stunt and he knew he couldn't win anymore in MIA. LeBron got roasted for good reason losing to Dal too. An over the hill team and he allowed Jason Terry to outscore him in the finals. There's good reason he got roasted there. My post evenrefered to well in a couple of yrs I guess we should just get use to LeBron switching jerseys. Maybe he'lll go to the West coast this time around and Join the Lakers or Spurs. 
Yes, causal you admitted it in the last thread. You don't follow the NBA because the Warriors rule, but you follow the Bulls enough so if they ever get good again you won't considered a band wagon fan.

If there had been an owner for the Hornets at the time, was it a good trade? I don’t even remember who it involved
Goran Dragic, Kevin Martin, Luis Scola, and New York's 2012 1st-round pick (which became Royce White) Lakers get: Chris Paul. Rockets get: Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom.

I don't think it was any better or worse than what they got in hindsight. At the time Eric Gordon was a pretty nice piece though. Probably more valuable than anything they got at the time.

In December 2011, the Lakers and the New Orleans Hornets agreed to a deal that would have sent Paul to the Lakers, Pau Gasol to Houston, and Kevin Martin, Luis Scola, Lamar Odom, Goran Dragic and a first-round pick to New Orleans. But then-commissioner David Stern vetoed the trade.
Was it a good trade at that time?

Was it a good trade at that time?
It was okay, but it was great for the Lakers, here is some quotes that help clear it up.

Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert sent Stern a letter in vehement objection to the trade, posing the decision should be split among remaining owners.

“It would be a travesty to allow the Lakers to acquire Chris Paul in the apparent trade being discussed,” Gilbert wrote, citing Los Angeles would save $40 million in the deal while acquiring the best player in the transaction without giving up any draft picks. “I know the vast majority of owners feel the same way that I do.”

In the end, Stern rejected the trade citing “basketball reasons.” The league commissioner, per Howard Beck of The New York Times, said the decision was made “free from the influence of other N.B.A. owners, that the team was better served with Chris (Paul) in a Hornets uniform than by the outcome of the terms of that trade.” But it’s hard to imagine letters from Gilbert and Mavericks owner Mark Cuban fell on deaf ears.

If the team didn’t have an owner, how was it that the NBA allowed them to talk trade just to veto it?
I don't remember, but here is what they got and at the time it was considered a better haul

In return, New Orleans received Eric Gordon, Al-Farouq Aminu, Chris Kaman’s $14 million expiring contract, and the Timberwolves’ unprotected pick in 2012.

The move set the Hornets up with cap flexibility, a decent draft pick, and young talent, likely what Stern envisioned as a decent return for a franchise-altering player. What he couldn’t forecast, however, was how the sequence of events stemming from that trade influenced the lives and trajectories for all players and organizations involved — for better and for worse.

You’re not surprised someone chose LA over Philly, are you?  They’ve made TV shows about this.
nah that's fine for some. but let's not pretend it's about winning basketball either otherwise Philly is head and shoulders above LA

It was the talk of the Olympics the year before of him Wade and Bosh talking. As the year progressed more and more reports surface LeBron was leaving. No one ever thought he'd team up with them in Cleveland after what the team was doing with Gilbert. 
The betting markets did not reflect any sort of certainty in any outcome. 

Yes, causal you admitted it in the last thread. You don't follow the NBA because the Warriors rule, but you follow the Bulls enough so if they ever get good again you won't considered a band wagon fan.
Uh when did I admit in the other thread I was a causal fan. No I liked the Bulls at a young age do to my cousin liking them. I tried to get into the Sixers but they traded away my favorite player. I then had a neighbor who was a Philly cop who did plenty of Sixers games as well as was involve in a few police incident calls involving Allen Iverson who use to tell us AI was way worse then what the media portrays and one night even said he was shocked the dude wasn't dead yet. I felt like I couldn't root for a team like that. One of the dads at or pool was also a I went through the Vinny Del Negro Bulls days, The Eddie Curry days etc. I basically got a lot of the AI dirt confirmed from my department manager when I worked A&P as we had a store on the main line famous for many players shopping there before going to Jersey or Philly Burbs to go home. With what he told me he basically said AI was the worst customer he ever had which says a lot in our buisness because we get some pretty awful customers. So I knew I made the right choice. At least I don't bandwagon team to team like many fans today. I'm loyal to the team not the player which so many of the younger fans today are. 

I'm sure Cousins turned down much bigger offers.  It was all about going to GSW and rehabilitating his injury and persona.  Win a ring and look good in the playoffs?  He'll make a lot more money in the long run.
Yeah there isnt a lot of money floating around right now. Jordan and Ariza taking a year each was telling, next year itll open up again.

Not arguing that this isnt awesome, but he is coming off an Achilles injury. Nice for GS this year, but theyre a rest stop to a bigger deal.

Jaren Jackson Jr. kicked off his Summer League in style, racking up 29 points (9-of-15 FGs, 3-of-5 FTs) with three boards, two blocks and eight(!) 3-pointers.

He's been dominating in camp and it carried over to his debut. JJJ has been working on his shooting with assistant coach Jerry Stackhouse and it showed tonight, and his defense was as good as advertised. The Grizzlies also used him next to center Deyonta Davis, an indication that they will use him alongside Marc Gasol when the games matter. If tonight was an indication, JJJ could be special.

This is why people loved Jackson. I know it is just summer league, but the upside is there.
Kid was special. Wish we had him for one more year. I’m going to enjoy following his career

Yo Djax - you seem like good people.  More ideas. Less words. 
I had in the basketball section a post on if you were NBA commissioner what would you change league wise rules, etc. The Initial post might be longer then your liking but I bounced some ideas off from rosters, to expansion and relocation, actual on court rules, draft reform and cap situations and player development. I think a lot of super teams stuff could be curbed with a simple hard cap ceiling while curbing tanking with the hard cap floor plus making draft picks unprotected. I feel some teams who trade picks that are protected intentional tank or try to lose the appropriate games in order to not give up the pick in certain yrs. Draft reform let them come out at HS if they are 18 by the season or go to college spend at least 2-3 yrs before draft eligible again. 

Yeah there isnt a lot of money floating around right now. Jordan and Ariza taking a year each was telling, next year itll open up again.

Not arguing that this isnt awesome, but he is coming off an Achilles injury. Nice for GS this year, but theyre a rest stop to a bigger deal.
maybe. or it is more of a long-term plan to work with the team. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread