Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Capella

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at

7 hours ago, metoo said:

If true, it's going to be interesting why the Lakers said no.

LA needs to both build chemistry and win. Golden State is obviously established and will win anyway. The warriors have the luxury of time to wait then can more easily tinker to fit him in the well oiled machine. 

Edited by MAC_32
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

LA needs to both build chemistry and win. Golden State is obviously established and will win anyway. They have the luxury of time to wait then can more easily tinker to fit him in the well oiled machine. 

They just signed a 33 year old LeBron James. Time isn't on their side.

5 minutes ago, msudaisy26 said:

I see what I did there, edited.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, msudaisy26 said:

Yeah - I don’t get this idea that they can waste a season or wait out Kawhi’s being a FA.  Not only is he getting old for a NBA superstar but he’s got a lot of miles on him.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Yeah - I don’t get this idea that they can waste a season or wait out Kawhi’s being a FA.  Not only is he getting old for a NBA superstar but he’s got a lot of miles on him.

In before Frosty days your mom. 

6 hours ago, bananafish said:

What move outside of signing LeBron have they made that makes sense?

• Signed KCP for 1/$12M 
  • Signed Lance Stephenson for 1/$4.5M
  • Signed Rajon Rondo for 1/$9M
  • Renounce rights to Julius Randle
  • Sign JaVale McGee to 1/min
  • Turn down Boogie 1/$5.3M
  • Probably signing Carmelo after he gets bought out

Who besides Laker homers think this team is getting out of the first round if they even make the playoffs? 

As Embiid tweeted to LeBron "it's not too late to change your mind lol"

KCP was a fine signing. If they land Melo at the minimum, that is a good signing.

• Like 1

Lakers fans hating on George, this is good:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/paul-george-takes-heat-for-comments-about-lakers/ar-AAzybhC?ocid=ientp

Why in the world would any free agent next year want to join that team? Of course I am sure will, I still can't figure out why Lebron did. Your family can live in LA, you can continue your legacy for 2 more years and then go to LA when you start slowing down at 35-36

9 hours ago, metoo said:

Per Marc Stein of the New York Times, the All-Star center presented the Lakers with a chance to add him at a salary similar to the $5.3 mid-level exception he received from Golden State, but they decided to go in a different direction. 

Don't believe it. Cousins went to a team who paid him the absolute most they could. In Boogiemath™, that's the biggest number and them other teams didnt offer him that.

35 minutes ago, modogg said:

Lakers fans hating on George, this is good:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/paul-george-takes-heat-for-comments-about-lakers/ar-AAzybhC?ocid=ientp

Why in the world would any free agent next year want to join that team? Of course I am sure will, I still can't figure out why Lebron did. Your family can live in LA, you can continue your legacy for 2 more years and then go to LA when you start slowing down at 35-36

LA is an abysmal place to live FWIW.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, tjnc09 said:

Bell 8 pts, 7 assists, 6 rebounds, 4 blocks, 2 steals, helps hold Bagley to 3/16 shooting in 24 min.  Warriors paid cash for him in the second round lol 

Lol yeah. I'm so glad we got him for that cheap.

• Like 1

Day off, and for some stupid reason, I decided to check out First Take for the first time in years. As bad as Skip and the cast of idiots were, these new guys are far worse. Some things you just have to accept in the Hot Take Era, knowing guys are just trying to make outlandish arguments to get a reaction, but these guys get bogged down over stupid arguments. Currently, going round and round down the "how important are rings/can you be great without one?" rabbit hole for what seems like 30 minutes. 

Maybe Skip did it too, but I remember him having a much more polished brand of hot take d-baggery. Kind of like professional wrestling. It's all horse####, but some can be better at it than others.

And speaking of ESPN, I do catch some "Get Up" some mornings and it's actually not too bad at all. Though, I do have a love of Jalen and Beadle, so I'm biased.

Edited by pollardsvision
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, bananafish said:

What move outside of signing LeBron have they made that makes sense?

• Signed KCP for 1/$12M 
  • Signed Lance Stephenson for 1/$4.5M
  • Signed Rajon Rondo for 1/$9M
  • Renounce rights to Julius Randle
  • Sign JaVale McGee to 1/min
  • Turn down Boogie 1/$5.3M
  • Probably signing Carmelo after he gets bought out

Who besides Laker homers think this team is getting out of the first round if they even make the playoffs? 

As Embiid tweeted to LeBron "it's not too late to change your mind lol"

I like the Rondo move :shrug:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Slapdash said:

I like the Rondo move :shrug:

the explanation from the team, or the ever famous "sources", was that signing Rondo tied directly in to them letting Randle leave. If that is the case, the signing of Rondo is not good. Getting rid of a young guy for reasonable price is not really what the Lakers should be doing

1 hour ago, wikkidpissah said:

Don't believe it. Cousins went to a team who paid him the absolute most they could. In Boogiemath™, that's the biggest number and them other teams didnt offer him that.

You don't have to but sounds like Lebron didn't want him and AD didn't want him back as well. That's why NO pulled back the 2/40 mil offer.

Just now, metoo said:

You don't have to but sounds like Lebron didn't want him and AD didn't want him back as well. That's why NO pulled back the 2/40 mil offer.

you said "but sounds"

• Like 4

Just now, metoo said:

so LeBron doesn't want Cousins, but wants McGee and Stephenson? :loco: Maybe this is the case, dude seems to not care about winning anymore, maybe he just wants guys who won't argue with him. :shrug:

Magic and LeBron met for hours and I'm sure they discussed players he did and didn't want to play with. Rondo yes and Boogie no. MLE and LeBron still said no.

• Like 1

I saw an interview on tv (didn't know who the guy was) that said since Cousins signed for so little money, the Warriors could only re-sign him past this year for his 2018 salary plus 30% (basically $6.5 million). So the logic was that Boogie would only be around for one year and then would follow the money elsewhere. Is that actually the case (that GSW can only pay him $6.5 million a year next year)?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

I saw an interview on tv (didn't know who the guy was) that said since Cousins signed for so little money, the Warriors could only re-sign him past this year for his 2018 salary plus 30% (basically $6.5 million). So the logic was that Boogie would only be around for one year and then would follow the money elsewhere. Is that actually the case (that GSW can only pay him $6.5 million a year next year)?

20% not 30%. That aside, you are correct.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, metoo said:

Magic and LeBron met for hours and I'm sure they discussed players he did and didn't want to play with. Rondo yes and Boogie no. MLE and LeBron still said no.

at the price, it would seem to be kind of silly not to sign Boogie to a contract. Maybe that is the case, and if it is, it just seems like a terrible idea from both Magic and LeBron. I mean at worst, he would seem to be a useful trade asset near the trade deadline when he has probably played some games and showed he is healthy. They could have probably moved him to a playoff team, but who knows.

It does confuse me that Magic is getting all of this credit for signing LeBron, not sure any other body in that seat couldn't have signed LeBron.

Guess the math is Boogie is a cancer, we are not retaining his rights past this season, and we have no chance this season.

Gsw and Boston were interested.  Think Houston may have been interested in sign and trade with Pels but Boogie said EFF that.

With boogie market as is was any team going to give up a first rounder at deadline for 3 months of Boogie and no title?

I guess Houston.  Which makes this a much more important move for GSW then it appears.

No star wants to go play with/help Lebron, they're tired of him and the constant media lovefest that they all get overshadowed by with him.

Kyrie bounced on him, PG preferred OKC with Russ, and now reports coming out that Kawhi might prefer the Clippers all of a sudden. 

If this doesn't wake people up to the fact that Lebron isn't some electromagnet for other star players, I don't know what will.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, modogg said:

the explanation from the team, or the ever famous "sources", was that signing Rondo tied directly in to them letting Randle leave. If that is the case, the signing of Rondo is not good. Getting rid of a young guy for reasonable price is not really what the Lakers should be doing

Yeah, I'm not a guy who puts much stock into back page rumors.  However, for whatever reason, the Lakers did not seem to rate Randle very highly.  I think that was a mistake regardless if the above is true.

Still, I think Rondo is a good addition and will be helpful for Ball's development as well as Lebron's game.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ShamrockPride said:

No star wants to go play with/help Lebron, they're tired of him and the constant media lovefest that they all get overshadowed by with him.

Kyrie bounced on him, PG preferred OKC with Russ, and now reports coming out that Kawhi might prefer the Clippers all of a sudden. 

If this doesn't wake people up to the fact that Lebron isn't some electromagnet for other star players, I don't know what will.

"If we crack a dent in the armor of Golden State, it's because I stayed here. If we do it in LA, it's LeBron James." - Paul George said that

People can hate on the Warriors, but they are a team of superstars who put their individual achievements aside to just win rings as a team.  I think that's hard to do with a lot of NBA players.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, ShamrockPride said:

I didn't realize how bad the underlined and bolded could be until I ran into this earlier today:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2784397-lebrons-signing-proves-lakers-exceptionalism-wasnt-dead-it-was-just-dormant

I mean seriously, what other organization has things like that on national websites? Cowboys, Lakers, and I guess Yankees. I don't know how you can write crap like that with a straight face. Funniest part is writing an article like that when a team in the literal same state is just an utter dominating monster. It is beyond delusional, I don't even know how a fan of the team can stomach that.

ETA: the article just seems funny when you compare to articles like the one on si.com that suggests Lebron needs to back out of the deal and escape when he can. I guess this is fandom at its best, and is fine, just seems like a bit of overkill. Maybe it is because it is a slow sports time

Edited by modogg
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Slapdash said:

Yeah, I'm not a guy who puts much stock into back page rumors.  However, for whatever reason, the Lakers did not seem to rate Randle very highly.  I think that was a mistake regardless if the above is true.

Still, I think Rondo is a good addition and will be helpful for Ball's development as well as Lebron's game.

i'm high on Rondo too, and think he has grown up from his younger days where his reputation comes from. But you have a young kid like Lonzo Ball that was the 2nd pick in the draft. Would you not want to groom that kid with playing experience? I mean they should know better than me, so I guess they know what they are doing, just seems strange. You know you aren't going to win it all this year, so why not focus on growing the youth on the team and developing chemistry with guys who likely will be here next year?

9 minutes ago, modogg said:

i'm high on Rondo too, and think he has grown up from his younger days where his reputation comes from. But you have a young kid like Lonzo Ball that was the 2nd pick in the draft. Would you not want to groom that kid with playing experience? I mean they should know better than me, so I guess they know what they are doing, just seems strange. You know you aren't going to win it all this year, so why not focus on growing the youth on the team and developing chemistry with guys who likely will be here next year?

I'd assume Rondo is the backup/mentor here.  Perhaps insurance in-case Ball is moved in a big trade for Kawhi or the like.  I do think these free agent moves signal that the Lakers want at least a season where their young guys still have a shot to develop.  One year deals to fill out the roster and have flexibility next offseason.  I don't get the logic on the exact players

Who cares where he was drafted, production is all that matters. LeBron wanted toughness on this team. If Ball is still on this team during the regular season, his phone will be in Rondo's locker.

7 minutes ago, metoo said:

Who cares where he was drafted, production is all that matters. LeBron wanted toughness on this team. If Ball is still on this team during the regular season, his phone will be in Rondo's locker.

so you throw away a 2nd overall pick after 1 year? Seems real silly to want "toughness" on that team, seems to me like they need talent and skill. And it is silly to think you don't need to develop players coming into the league. Maybe that can occur through practice, but it seems to be the common thought that minutes on the court are what helps most. Now if Rondo does take a backseat and doesn't take a big chunk out of Ball's minutes, maybe it works out to help his career

Edited by modogg

41 minutes ago, Slapdash said:

lol Ball is better than Rondo

37 minutes ago, modogg said:

so you throw away a 2nd overall pick after 1 year? Seems real silly to want "toughness" on that team, seems to me like they need talent and skill. And it is silly to think you don't need to develop players coming into the league. Maybe that can occur through practice, but it seems to be the common thought that minutes on the court are what helps most. Now if Rondo does take a backseat and doesn't take a big chunk out of Ball's minutes, maybe it works out to help his career

OK

1 hour ago, tjnc09 said:

"If we crack a dent in the armor of Golden State, it's because I stayed here. If we do it in LA, it's LeBron James." - Paul George said that

People can hate on the Warriors, but they are a team of superstars who put their individual achievements aside to just win rings as a team.  I think that's hard to do with a lot of NBA players.

If Paul George had played in the 90's, he would have signed with the Heat to play alongside Alonzo Mourning instead of the Bulls to play with Jordan because Jordan would have gotten all of the credit when the Bulls won. 

All this does is demonstrate that George is more concerned with getting credit for winning than actually winning.  Players like that are hard to win championships with.  He would never last on the Warriors because, like you said, their handful of stars care about winning above all else. 

• Like 3

This is all fine and well but when do we crank up the rumors that Kobe comes out of retirement to lead the new look Lakers with LeBron?

14 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

If Paul George had played in the 90's, he would have signed with the Heat to play alongside Alonzo Mourning instead of the Bulls to play with Jordan because Jordan would have gotten all of the credit when the Bulls won. 

All this does is demonstrate that George is more concerned with getting credit for winning than actually winning.  Players like that are hard to win championships with.  He would never last on the Warriors because, like you said, their handful of stars care about winning above all else. 

Paul George got extremely paid. You can stop your analysis there. 

• Like 1

The Ball situation really is fascinating. I still get the feeling he'll be traded. When a dude tries to tank his own trade value to keep from being traded, I suspect that might put the team in eff you mode, especially given that it as already questionable whether the GOAT wanted to play with him. Rondo was step 1, and I get the feeling we are one LaVar rant from step 2 (a very underwhelming trade to Charlotte or something).

47 minutes ago, Good Posting Judge said:

George was concerned with getting more money.

He could have gotten 4/130 from a new team right?  Is that difference of $7 million such a big deal?  I could see it if he got like the 5/175.

or are you assuming the extension piece also?

Here's essence of Paul George's 4-year, $137M deal, w/ player option: New CBA allows George to extend after 2nd anniversary of deal. Extending on max w/ OKC after year 2, while also opting out of final year, could make this 7-year, $290M-plus deal based on future cap projections.

was a new team prohibited from offering that structure?

Edited by Long Ball Larry

We are easily going to be over 75 wins this year and sweep the playoffs. It's going to be so fun.

12 minutes ago, Weebs210 said:

We are easily going to be over 75 wins this year and sweep the playoffs. It's going to be so fun.

You've switched from a Cavs to a Warriors fan?

1 hour ago, Juxtatarot said:

You've switched from a Cavs to a Warriors fan?

I switched from a LeBron fan. I figured if players take the easiest road I may as well as a fan. Winning baby.

3 hours ago, ShamrockPride said:

Let's check back in on this statement at this time next year. I'm confident it will look foolish.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Weebs210 said:

I switched from a LeBron fan. I figured if players take the easiest road I may as well as a fan. Winning baby.

I hope you find that rewarding.

6 hours ago, Good Posting Judge said:

LA is an abysmal place to live FWIW.

:greatposting:

5 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

5 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

20% not 30%. That aside, you are correct.

Could that help explain the Lakers decision? They didn't want to commit to big money until they knew he was healthy but signing him to the MLE would have prevented them from signing him next season to a longer deal?

14 minutes ago, Tom Hagen said:

Could that help explain the Lakers decision? They didn't want to commit to big money until they knew he was healthy but signing him to the MLE would have prevented them from signing him next season to a longer deal?

It seems like the driving force was the health and that they supposedly want to be winning out of the gate this year.  Not having him for 30-40 games would hamper that.

Knowing that it would only be a one-year thing (which it would be for any team) probably helped seal the non-deal.

On 7/3/2018 at 5:26 AM, AAABatteries said:

I’m a GSW fan from way back.

This week's Sports Illustrated had a "where are they now" article on the Run-TMC Warriors. Mullin and Hardaway claim they could beat today's Warriors if they didn't have Durant. They were only together for two years because Don Nelson traded Mitch Richmond for the immortal Billy Owens. It said in the article that Nelson was offended when Golden State played in Boston and he pointed up at a retired jersey in the rafters, told Richmond that was his number, and Richmond responded: You played, coach?

• Like 2