Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Capella

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

i think that it has been used on Tyreke Evans.

Weird. Spotrac already had the Evans contract down for 1 year at $12 million, But it hasn't been included in the Pacers team salary cap page yet. So they are also a team out of practical cap space.

Edited by Anarchy99
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

i think that it has been used on Tyreke Evans.

edit: hmm, spotrac does seem to be factoring Evans in.

if they have that kind of room left, I would have really like to see Noel go to Indiana for 2 years. OKC hopefully helps his career too, but a team like Indiana might have been just what the kid needed. for relatively cheap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Weird. Spotrac already had the Evans contract down for 1 year at $12 million, But it hasn't been included in the Pacers team salary cap page yet. So they would are also a team out of practical cap space.

ok, it is kind of confusing the way that Spotrac has it set up right now (they are often slightly slow during busy times because I think they like to be really accurate).  I had thought that the Evans signing finished off the Pacers for this year.

edit: this says they are out - https://8points9seconds.com/2018/07/03/indiana-pacers-room-exception/

They have gobs for next offseason, though.  Pritchard has done a pretty nifty job (doesn't hurt to have suddenly picked up a top 15-ish player locked up for 3 more years).

Edited by Long Ball Larry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

ok, it is kind of confusing the way that Spotrac has it set up right now (they are often slightly slow during busy times because I think they like to be really accurate).  I had thought that the Evans signing finished off the Pacers for this year.

edit: this says they are out - https://8points9seconds.com/2018/07/03/indiana-pacers-room-exception/

They have gobs for next offseason, though.  Pritchard has done a pretty nifty job (doesn't hurt to have suddenly picked up a top 15-ish player locked up for 3 more years).

Yeah . . . they are listed as having $68M in cap space for next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, modogg said:

Now that the ROY stuff is behind us, I like Donovan Mitchell more and more. I did like the kid coming out, but he seems like a genuine good guy as well:

https://sports.yahoo.com/donovan-mitchell-spends-july-4-hitting-jazz-fans-pool-parties-cookouts-continues-ingratiate-people-utah-153541810.html

Laying the groundwork for a Big Love-type scenario imo.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm feeling a lot better about the Bjelica signing now that I've learned his nickname is Professor Big Shots. :thumbup:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Tom Hagen said:

I'm feeling a lot better about the Bjelica signing now that I've learned his nickname is Professor Big Shots. :thumbup:

I'm not the biggest T-wolves homer around, but I had never heard that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait, modogg suggesting that FAs won’t want to got to LA next offseason to play with LeBron?  LOL

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Maik Jeaunz said:

people only see Magic being goofy on TV and posting things on Twitter, and forget he has an elite basketball mind.

5-11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tommyGunZ said:

Wait, modogg suggesting that FAs won’t want to got to LA next offseason to play with LeBron?  LOL

big names being mentioned are Kawhi, Kyrie, Butler and Klay. I am willing to bet none of them will sign with Lakers.

Actually, not willing to bet that because LeBron taught me I have no idea what some of these players are wanting to do. But I feel confident in that it might be a stretch to think that big names will want to sign there. And the competition next year will be more than just Philly and LA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Svi Mykhailiuk is looking like somebody Luke Walton can run off screens next season if Svi can crack the rotation. Quick release, pure stroke from 3. And has some athleticism and bounce, too, to hold up in other areas.”

:popcorn:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, modogg said:

big names being mentioned are Kawhi, Kyrie, Butler and Klay. I am willing to bet none of them will sign with Lakers.

Actually, not willing to bet that because LeBron taught me I have no idea what some of these players are wanting to do. But I feel confident in that it might be a stretch to think that big names will want to sign there. And the competition next year will be more than just Philly and LA

Kawhi will sign with the Lakers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, modogg said:

big names being mentioned are Kawhi, Kyrie, Butler and Klay. I am willing to bet none of them will sign with Lakers.

Actually, not willing to bet that because LeBron taught me I have no idea what some of these players are wanting to do. But I feel confident in that it might be a stretch to think that big names will want to sign there. And the competition next year will be more than just Philly and LA

Why?  The idea that playing with LeBron in LA isn’t a draw is asinine.  Come on man.  Have you ever been outside of Philly? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, tommyGunZ said:

“Svi Mykhailiuk is looking like somebody Luke Walton can run off screens next season if Svi can crack the rotation. Quick release, pure stroke from 3. And has some athleticism and bounce, too, to hold up in other areas.”

:popcorn:

I'm going to Vegas for a few days and will catch a couple Laker games. I know the Saturday game is late night, so that works for me. I might spend the whole day between the two venues Sunday (ten games). Can't think of a better use of $40 in Vegas. I have a short list of players I want to see that needs to be longer and just added Svi. 

Not just tommyg but anyone. Who would you want to see?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tommyGunZ said:

Why?  The idea that playing with LeBron in LA isn’t a draw is asinine.  Come on man.  Have you ever been outside of Philly? 

He’s also never eaten a pear.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How good is that one episode of IASIP when they decide to take a road trip to the Grand Canyon and we learn Charlie has never left Philly? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, tommyGunZ said:

Why?  The idea that playing with LeBron in LA isn’t a draw is asinine.  Come on man.  Have you ever been outside of Philly? 

I honestly have no idea what NBA players want to do and can't predict. But it isn't like I am here saying players are flocking to Philly either, I think the point is players will have more options next year. But we can table this all until next year...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody's kicking the tires on Brook Lopez? The market for big guys sure is depressed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, modogg said:

I honestly have no idea what NBA players want to do and can't predict. But it isn't like I am here saying players are flocking to Philly either, I think the point is players will have more options next year. But we can table this all until next year...

Yet you continue to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Chaos Commish said:

I'm going to Vegas for a few days and will catch a couple Laker games. I know the Saturday game is late night, so that works for me. I might spend the whole day between the two venues Sunday (ten games). Can't think of a better use of $40 in Vegas. I have a short list of players I want to see that needs to be longer and just added Svi. 

Not just tommyg but anyone. Who would you want to see?

Jonah Bolden

Zhaire Smith

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chaos Commish said:

Who would you want to see?

Sexton

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish they still had summer league games at the Pyramid in Long Beach. I used to drive down there with some buddies, and you could basically spend the whole day there for one admission, watching games from 10AM until like 7PM. the arena was pretty small, and the vibe was awesome. sometimes when the games were over, the players would just go up and sit with the fans to watch other games. I remember chillin' in the stands with Amare Stoudamire after he had just finished destroying whoever the Suns were playing. or Chris Bosh trying to raise up and almost yam on someone from the elbow. or dudes you had never heard of before just going unconscious and lighting people up, and the gym going crazy for it. good times.

hey Vegas, get off my lawn.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chaos Commish said:

I'm going to Vegas for a few days and will catch a couple Laker games. I know the Saturday game is late night, so that works for me. I might spend the whole day between the two venues Sunday (ten games). Can't think of a better use of $40 in Vegas. I have a short list of players I want to see that needs to be longer and just added Svi. 

Not just tommyg but anyone. Who would you want to see?

Doncic if he plays

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only one that realizes Summer League games are on TV?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

look at mr fancypants with his tv

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, tjnc09 said:

Am I the only one that realizes Summer League games are on TV?

i assume everyone shot their tvs when the dubs got boogie and will never watch again.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, tjnc09 said:

Am I the only one that realizes Summer League games are on TV?

It bores me to death on tv unless I need a time waster, but yeah I think espn is going from noon to 11 pacific time both days this weekend. There's a novelty to being there described nicely by Maik a few posts up. Good times. My brother an nba2k addict is joining us. Pretty sure he'll wander over to the video game rooms before drifting over to Crown and Anchor or the Hard Rock. Me and a friend will watch hoops then watch more hoops. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chaos Commish said:

It bores me to death on tv unless I need a time waster, but yeah I think espn is going from noon to 11 pacific time both days this weekend. There's a novelty to being there described nicely by Maik a few posts up. Good times. My brother an nba2k addict is joining us. Pretty sure he'll wander over to the video game rooms before drifting over to Crown and Anchor or the Hard Rock. Me and a friend will watch hoops then watch more hoops. 

It's great TV for weekday afternoons.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chaos Commish said:

I'm going to Vegas for a few days and will catch a couple Laker games. I know the Saturday game is late night, so that works for me. I might spend the whole day between the two venues Sunday (ten games). Can't think of a better use of $40 in Vegas. I have a short list of players I want to see that needs to be longer and just added Svi. 

Not just tommyg but anyone. Who would you want to see?

Tryggvi Hlinason - Raptors

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Tryggvi Hlinason - Raptors

Cant spell victryggviory without Tryggvi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Streaming sites for summer league?  Asking for a friend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, modogg said:

Why would you be shocked if Thunder have a better run? seeing the articles being pushed I could see how people could think this Lakers teams will be good, but the Lakers only have 2-3 assets left worth anything (their draft picks took a hit after getting Lebron because he won't tank, he will get them top .500), and any free agent with a lick of common sense will not choose to join that team. A lot of teams will have money next year and I think Lakers would be on the bottom of the barrel for people to want to join.  I was completely off with LeBron going there in the first place, so maybe I am wrong again, it just seems like players are looking more to avoid it then gravitate toward it. And I think the off-season moves outside of LeBron have created that.

If I had any confidence in OKC I would feel more secure with that, but don't want to completely prop them up either. But the difference is OKC is a bit of an unknown and may slip in a playoff run.

 

For one, the west is strong, and for two, three playoff wins in two playoff seasons since Durant's departure doesn't give me a lot of confidence in their ability to make a deep playoff run with Westbrook being their best player. 

While the west will be much tougher sledding than the East, LeBron and a good to solid roster could easily make it to the 3rd round next season (depending on seeding, if they can avoid the GS juggernaut in the first two rounds).  Plus, once those young players start playing better, free agents will want to come there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

Somewhere the league, teams, and players did not have an accurate portrayal of the future salary cap. IIRC, there was a decent jump in the annual team cap number with promise of (or projected) more dollars becoming available each year. So teams went out and signed a ton of players to long-term max deals that one off season a couple of seasons ago. But then the cap didn't go up very much after that. The net result this off season was the huge majority of teams had little to no cap space (or were already over the cap). I believe it was reported the cap is projected to go up next year and the year after, which is probably why players would rather hit the market when teams have money to spend. From the team's perspective, they would also want to have max dollars available to try to lure some marquee players next off season.

Teams are getting smart I think with how they give out contracts. Remember when we saw that year where a bunch of bench and role players were making what almost double of what they should be making? Teams are now regretting some of those signings and are being more careful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

@thecatch

Looks like the LaVine-Kings rumor is back on again:

 

From what I've read any Lavine to Sac move would have to be a sign and trade for it to work for the Kings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

Agree - and without a doubt there's some dead wood on the roster that will almost certainly be cleared out (Bayless buyout, Holmes isn't making this team as currently constructed, TLC and/or Justin Anderson is probably on thin ice too), but assuming no trades, their rotation is pretty crowded:

G – Simmons/Fultz
G -Redick/Zhaire(TJ)
F – RoCo/Chandler
F – Dario/Bjelica
C – Embiid/Amir

I think there's a chance that the Chandler and Bjelica signings give air cover on including Roco and Dario in a Kawhi trade now, at least for this year.  Throw in a 1st or 2, and maybe someone like Korkmaz to consolidate and clear out the roster clutter.  Bring up Bolden to platoon at the 4 with Bjelica and Chandler. 

I still have no clue why they resigned Amir though. The guy looked awful at times 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2018 at 4:46 PM, tjnc09 said:

In other news, Trae Young expectantly looks like trash so far 

bump x2.  I can't believe people who get paid to work in the basketball profession willingly drafted him 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Chaos Commish said:

I'm going to Vegas for a few days and will catch a couple Laker games. I know the Saturday game is late night, so that works for me. I might spend the whole day between the two venues Sunday (ten games). Can't think of a better use of $40 in Vegas. I have a short list of players I want to see that needs to be longer and just added Svi. 

Not just tommyg but anyone. Who would you want to see?

Doncic is a definite and Ayton if you've never seen him. There's gonna be a few guys on teams from last year on the squads as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tjnc09 said:

bump x2.  I can't believe people who get paid to work in the basketball profession willingly drafted him 

I didn't like him in college. He was a terrible defender and people only noticed him after ONE HOT MONTH. The rest of his season he looked avg at best. Was really hoping in the draft CHI didn't take him. I wanted DOncic but that became a dream after awhile. So it became Bridges or WCJ. So happy Gar/Pax made a correct move for once in their life. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tjnc09 said:

Bagley continues to look like a giant nobody on the court

yup. i'm not rooting against the kid, but he needs a lot of work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, modogg said:

yup. i'm not rooting against the kid, but he needs a lot of work

Had a big first game running with Fox, but he can’t create on his own at all. Looks like a project. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

From what I've read any Lavine to Sac move would have to be a sign and trade for it to work for the Kings. 

Unless I'm missing something the Kings have a bunch of cap room and can basically give Lavine any salary they want and can still fit him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gr00vus said:

Nobody's kicking the tires on Brook Lopez? The market for big guys sure is depressed.

it's been a weird free agency run. I would have thought Jabari Parker would have garnered more interest, same with Marcus Smart. Not surprised to see this:

M. Smart hurt that BOS hasn't talked to him?

Restricted free agent Marcus Smart is frustrated with the lack of outreach from the Celtics in free agency, according to Mark Murphy of the Boston Herald.

"He loves the Celtics, but with these crickets he’s hearing, he’s hurt and disgusted by it," said Murphy's source. "I don’t think that bothers Marcus as much as no communication from Danny [Ainge]." Murphy has covered the Celtics for a while, so this is credible. Perhaps the Celtics are waiting for Smart to sign an offer sheet before they focus on him, or maybe they're busy chasing Kawhi Leonard. Either way, the lack of communication is interesting.

Seems like 2 years in a row Celtics front office are coming off calous. doesn't seem to hinder them at all, but have to wonder if it will effectthem in anyway. They brought Baynes back quickly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

people only noticed him after ONE HOT MONTH. The rest of his season he looked avg at best. 

This isn't true.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, thecatch said:

Had a big first game running with Fox, but he can’t create on his own at all. Looks like a project. 

I've never understood teams that use a draft pick that high on a project.  I would rather trade it for a more distinguished player or future year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.