What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any time you have the opportunity to throw 78 million dollars at a guy who gives you 17ppg on 38% shooting with no rebounding, passing, or defense, you have to take it. 
Also, the guy's game is entirely predicated on athleticism and he had a major knee surgery. Oh, and he's disgruntled because he had to get an outside offer sheet to get paid. 

Also, the guy's game is entirely predicated on athleticism and he had a major knee surgery. Oh, and he's disgruntled because he had to get an outside offer sheet to get paid. 
I agree he is being over rated by the Kings and Bulls. This contract is going to be awful if Chicago becomes the next destination for a group of free agents to go to and try to be a super team. Djax logic that you have to sign him because he was the key piece in the Butler deal is beyond dumb. Sometimes you swing and miss, but don't compound the problem by refusing to let go. ACL's aren't major injuries anymore though, players recover from them faster and come back full strength faster than ever. Just 10ish years ago ACL injuries were a full year injury and then even when you came back it took another year of game action to get back to where the player was. Now they are 8 or 9 month injuries and players are coming back full strength that next season.

I agree he is being over rated by the Kings and Bulls. This contract is going to be awful if Chicago becomes the next destination for a group of free agents to go to and try to be a super team. Djax logic that you have to sign him because he was the key piece in the Butler deal is beyond dumb. Sometimes you swing and miss, but don't compound the problem by refusing to let go. ACL's aren't major injuries anymore though, players recover from them faster and come back full strength faster than ever. Just 10ish years ago ACL injuries were a full year injury and then even when you came back it took another year of game action to get back to where the player was. Now they are 8 or 9 month injuries and players are coming back full strength that next season.
I hope you're right, but Derrick Rose never was the same after his ACL tear, even before he hurt the right knee. Like LaVine, his entire game was based on explosiveness. It's not apples to apples, but enough to make Bulls fans sphincters tighten up to where you could sharpen a pencil in there. 

Even without that, the guy is going to have to make a major leap forward to justify this deal. More likely, as I mentioned in the BB forum, he just officially changes his name to "The Zach LaVine Contract" because that's how he'll be referred to exclusively about a year or two from now. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It really is phenomenally hard to believe that Bismarck Biyombo makes 20M a year. How does Hennigan have any job in the league?

The Bucks basically can’t match a $15m per year offer (or maybe less) for Jabari at this point. Is he a locker room cancer or something? He looked pretty healthy in the playoffs. Not sure why there’s not more interest in him. 

The Bucks basically can’t match a $15m per year offer (or maybe less) for Jabari at this point. Is he a locker room cancer or something? He looked pretty healthy in the playoffs. Not sure why there’s not more interest in him. 
How many teams actually have that type money left? And how much money can you really throw at a guy that's played about 50% of possible games to date in his NBA career?

Obviously the Kings but I'm not sure the fit there with Giles/Bagley/WCS. You can't throw Jabari or Bagley regularly as a 3. They'll simply get smoked out of the building defensively.

How many teams actually have that type money left? 

Obviously the Kings but I'm not sure the fit there with Giles/Bagley/WCS. You can't throw Jabari or Bagley regularly as a 3. They'll simply get smoked out of the building defensively.
There are a few other teams with that much space or the ability to free it up pretty easily. Other teams could try a sign and trade. I mean, I know Parker is bad defensively but he’s 23 and can score 20+ppg on pretty good efficiency. Those guys don’t grow on trees. Unless there’s another red flag I’d take him and sort out the fit later. 

There are a few other teams with that much space or the ability to free it up pretty easily. Other teams could try a sign and trade. I mean, I know Parker is bad defensively but he’s 23 and can score 20+ppg on pretty good efficiency. Those guys don’t grow on trees. Unless there’s another red flag I’d take him and sort out the fit later. 
I'd think for some teams, the two major ACL tears in his left knee over the past 3 years counts as a red flag.

Is Brook Lopez any good?  The Bucks need a big man. 1 yr $3.4m seems pretty cheap.
he's as good a back2basket C as he wants to be. He can be Marc Gasol, he can be Greg Monroe 2.0

I'd think for some teams, the two major ACL tears in his left knee over the past 3 years counts as a red flag.
Bucks are pretty much forced to gamble that Parker will bet on himself and play for his qualifying. they know better than to be the team who puts more than $50mil in his pocket with what they know from the last few

That terrifies me at $20m per year. At $11-15m, I’m intrigued unless my doctors are telling me that knee is made of paper mache. Next year when the Avery Bradley’s of the world are pulling down $18m again, I suspect 3/45 for Parker will look like a rounding error. 

So where is all the supposed free agent money going to come from next year? The cap is expected to go up $6-7 million per team next year. I get that there are contracts expiring, but teams aren’t adding a ton more of cap money. 

I hope you're right, but Derrick Rose never was the same after his ACL tear, even before he hurt the right knee. Like LaVine, his entire game was based on explosiveness. It's not apples to apples, but enough to make Bulls fans sphincters tighten up to where you could sharpen a pencil in there. 

Even without that, the guy is going to have to make a major leap forward to justify this deal. More likely, as I mentioned in the BB forum, he just officially changes his name to "The Zach LaVine Contract" because that's how he'll be referred to exclusively about a year or two from now. 
I forgot about Rose, but if I remember correctly wasn't that more about bringing him back early? 

For any interested, Golden State vs. Houston starts in about 5 minutes on ESPN2.

I could do with less Jordan Bell highlights (he doesn't really belong there IMO) and more Damian Jones and Jacob Evans. I don't even know who Houston drafted.
De'Anthony Melton (USC) and Vincent Edwards (Purdue).  Supposedly two very "Morey" picks with great value for draft position.  

Parker hasn’t been that impressive to me. Rich mans Tobias Harris. 

He's not fantastic but he's a steal at that price (he made $22.6M last year). Can hit the three which is becoming essential for a modern-day center.  He'll probably start for the Bucks or at least compete for it. 
Imo, they should have chased Noel. They need somebody that can play a switch defense. Lopez is a far superior offensive player but he can't play a modern defense against good teams.

So where is all the supposed free agent money going to come from next year? The cap is expected to go up $6-7 million per team next year. I get that there are contracts expiring, but teams aren’t adding a ton more of cap money. 
Lotta teams are setting up to clear for next year.  Off the top of my head:

ind

phi

brk

nyk?

chi

atl

dal

sac

phx (somewhat)

lal

I like how SL isn't cluttered up with fouls because of the bonus.  Five fouls in a quarter for a bonus in the NBA is stupid.

I forgot about Rose, but if I remember correctly wasn't that more about bringing him back early? 
Just the opposite. He stayed out a lot longer than expected. The fans actually started to turn on the hometown hero once he was supposedly cleared by doctors and still wasn't playing. 

The injury occurred on April 28, 2012. He didn't play again until October 29, 2013. Almost exactly 18 months. 

That's because it seems like D Rose was incredible soft. I was really disappointed how he handled everything. Seemed more concerned getting his money then actually playing. There were a lot of reports saying Rose was cleared but he just wasn't "Mentally ready". Then when he did play it seemed like he literally played it safe. You didn't see him attacking like he use too almost afraid of hurting himself again. Zach seemed to take things differently. Seemed like he wanted to get back to basketball from the beginning. I'm by no means think Lavine is a world beater but he's still only 23 and has time to improve. He's already improved his shooting since coming into the league. It's streaky but when he's hot he can light it up. I'll take a chance with a young Lavine wanting who seems to want to play though. Rose seemed like he literally quit on the Bulls and the city who backed him for yrs. I don't know if Thibs or Gar/Pax had anything to do with that though. 

Meanwhile I know its one game but WCJ looks like one of the best draft picks so far in summer league. Dude could be a monster. Looked like he could hit from Outside to keep a D honest, looked great defensively especially the 5 blocks and all. I think he could add a bit of muscle though as he looks like he could get bullied by some bigger bigs in the regular season. 

I think I agree with that, but Harris is finishing up a 4/64 deal and I don’t recall much outcry over that deal being absurdly generous at a time when the cap was tighter. 
I remember a quite a few people saying that was a bad deal and it was why the Magic unloaded it to the Pistons for basically nothing.  A lot of Piston fans and Pistons insiders didn't like the deal either. Harris got better and that is what made the deal look good in the end. 

I remember a quite a few people saying that was a bad deal and it was why the Magic unloaded it to the Pistons for basically nothing.  A lot of Piston fans and Pistons insiders didn't like the deal either. Harris got better and that is what made the deal look good in the end. 
Zach Lowe thought the signing was smart and that trade wasn’t exactly lambasted at the time. But regardless, still seems like Parker should be receiving stronger consideration, given that he’s in line to command a smaller deal. I guess he could be signaling that he will just take the qualifying offer if he can’t get LaVine money and get back on the market next year. 

Zach Lowe thought the signing was smart and that trade wasn’t exactly lambasted at the time. But regardless, still seems like Parker should be stronger consideration, given that he’s in line to command a smaller deal. I guess he could be signaling that he will just take the qualifying offer if he can’t get LaVine money and get back on the market next year. 
I didn't mean to say everyone hated it, but it was a mixed bag. Using hindsight it looked like a great signing, great trade for the Pistons and Clippers. 

I typically don't look at user names when reading to catch up on threads.  It makes things interesting as I'll start to recognize writing styles.  I can always pick out wikkid's posts quickly.

The funniest is when I read a couple of sentences of one of DJax's long rambling posts, stop and go, "who the heck is this freaking guy", see it is DJax and then just stop reading it.  I've never seen more baseless opinions and speculation in my life.  It is actually fairly impressive.

According to Kevin O'Connor of The Ringer, several NBA executives believe the Rockets are the favorites to land Carmelo Anthony.

Melo’s business manager, Bay Frazier, was spotted hanging out with Chris Paul and coach Mike D'Antoni in Las Vegas. This might explain why the Rockets have been so hesitant to offer Luc Mbah a Moute a deal for more than the veteran's minimum. The Lakers, Heat and 76ers are rumored to be interested as well, but after his letdown of a season it's hard to get excited about any of these landing spots for his fantasy value.

How to go from basically 1 win from an NBA title to ruining your chances in 1 move in 1 off season. 

I never look at usernames either, but I think there’s some guy who keeps jerkin it to brad Stevens.

also, someone keeps playing tricks with the title and some guy seems to think that Trae young killed our lord and savior.

Carmello should probably be packing his bags for China with Isaiah Thomas.

I don't believe Capela is still unsigned. I would think that at this point he's going to be disappointed with any offer he gets. If I was the Rockets I'd be worried about him taking the qualifying offer and then bolting next year.
Thomas has the potential to be a really good signing for someone if he is healthy. One year deal on short money and a guy who has All-Star potential if he is feeling right. Perhaps a big if but almost no downside for a team on a one year deal.

Carmello should probably be packing his bags for China with Isaiah Thomas.

I don't believe Capela is still unsigned. I would think that at this point he's going to be disappointed with any offer he gets. If I was the Rockets I'd be worried about him taking the qualifying offer and then bolting next year.
I could be wrong, but aren't they waiting on Capela so that they can maintain cap space to sign Melo? Just my assumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread