Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Capella

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, scoobus said:

Warriors, Rockets, Blazers, Thunder, Jazz, Pelicans, Nuggets, Wolves, Pelicans, Lakers

Who’s missing the playoffs here?

I feel pretty good about the Warriors, Rockets, Thunder, and Jazz. Everyone else should be worried to some degree. There are probably 12 teams in the West with non-frivolous arguments that they can make the playoffs. 

Edited by thecatch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bananafish said:

Gonna be a great season. The only team tanking in the West is Sacto (at least at the outset). I'd say Nugs or Wolves but it's obviously a tough call. One of the non-listed teams might make it in as well.

Celtics own the King's 1st round pick unless it is #1, they are probably going to stink but they have no incentive to tank.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bananafish said:

Gonna be a great season. The only team tanking in the West is Sacto (at least at the outset). I'd say Nugs or Wolves but it's obviously a tough call. One of the non-listed teams might make it in as well.

The Kings are young and really bad, but they have a decent coach, high motor players, and no reason to lose this year. Relative to what you typically think of when you are looking at the clear worst team in the conference, they might be a little feisty. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, modogg said:

it's a fun question. there may be one or 2 other surprise teams that compete. I will be taking the Suns over wins whatever it is set at, and Grizzlies have a chance to compete too.

Funny, I’m almost certainly going to be on the Suns under. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Warriors, Rockets, Thunder, Lakers, Jazz, Spurs, Pelicans, Wolves is my guess.

For some reason I hate the Blazers this year 

I dunno if there are odds available yet but if anyone wants to bet on the Thunder missing the playoffs I am in. I think they are going to finish 2nd or 3rd. 

Edited by Moe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, thecatch said:

The Kings are young and really bad, but they have a decent coach, high motor players, and no reason to lose this year. Relative to what you typically think of when you are looking at the clear worst team in the conference, they might be a little feisty. 

Young, high motor players accurately describes the Sun's from the past several years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also - would anyone else ITT be interested in a fantasy league? My league with my friends has fizzled out over the years and I don't want to join a league with randoms who will quit in December. I'd be willing to put it all together if there is interest. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, thecatch said:

I feel pretty good about the Warriors, Rockets, Thunder, and Jazz. Everyone else should be worried to some degree. There are probably 12 teams in the West with non-frivolous arguments that they can make the playoffs. 

Absolutely. In a normal conference that isn’t obscenely stacked, the Grizzlies and Clippers are probably playoff teams. They’re barely in the conversation this year. Going to be fun watching several good Western teams miss the playoffs while the Hornets or Pistons limp into the East’s 8th seed a few games under .500. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, the moops said:

Young, high motor players accurately describes the Sun's from the past several years. 

I don’t think so. Who had a high motor for them other than Jackson last year?  I’m defining that as giving effort on both sides of the floor. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JuniorGong said:

At least one of the Pelicans

I think both Pelicans make the playoffs.  AD is just that good.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

Who were they bidding against? It's not going to kill them, but I don't think they needed to go that high as there were no other legit suitors.

I have a feeling he had another offer in the 8 to 10 million dollar range for only 1 or 2 years as a starter and he and his agent told the Celtics that they needed something like this to keep coming off the bench or he would bet on himself getting a bigger offer after being a starter. Or sign the tender and move after next year.

Edited by msudaisy26

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Weebs210 said:

I agree. The Warriors are at the top for now and a long time coming. I love it.

Niles?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bananafish said:

Is it your goal to just annoy the entire board with tired, unfunny shtick? I'm not one to judge how one gets their jollies but it's rather pathetic. You be you I guess.

Being a Warrior fan is shtick now? I'll try to contain my excitement for the upcoming season better for you I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Moe. said:

Also - would anyone else ITT be interested in a fantasy league? My league with my friends has fizzled out over the years and I don't want to join a league with randoms who will quit in December. I'd be willing to put it all together if there is interest. 

abso down - would LOVE to league with this bunch.

and i'm the one who picked Thunder out - with the improvement of other teams, i say "no bench, no playoffs", and OK was the team i picked to follow in my year off from the Celts. i'm sure we can work out a play (mine's a minority view, so there'd have to be odds) once we see how Melo is disposed of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, modogg said:

Lakers will be fun this year. Magic telling the world the Lakers aren't scared of the Warriors:

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2018/7/19/17590764/lakers-magic-johnson-not-scared-of-warriors-lebron-james-rajon-rondo-javale-mcgee

Mother F'cker, you have to make the playoffs first

Come on mo, they will make the playoffs. They are just calling out their first round opponent 10 months early.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jabari Parker sounds like a #######.

Edited by scoobus
Dumb ###

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

abso down - would LOVE to league with this bunch.

and i'm the one who picked Thunder out - with the improvement of other teams, i say "no bench, no playoffs", and OK was the team i picked to follow in my year off from the Celts. i'm sure we can work out a play (mine's a minority view, so there'd have to be odds) once we see how Melo is disposed of.

Yeah I was poking around for odds and didn't see anything. I'll be around, we will figure something out. 

If Roberson is not back to normal they could very well be in trouble, but hopefully he is good to go. It's really sad that someone who is so bad at half of the game is so important to the Thunder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scoobus said:

Warriors, Rockets, Blazers, Thunder, Jazz, Spurs, Nuggets, Wolves, Pelicans, Lakers

Who’s missing the playoffs here?

Something will happen to a couple teams, injuries trades, bad luck.

My guess is 2 of these 4.

Blazers - Dame or CJ get traded if they have a poor start.

Wolves - They track between the 4th and 10th seed all season and near the trade deadline the writing is on the wall that Butler is leaving and the best they can do with him is a 2nd round exit. They sell him off so they get something for him.

Pelicans - Anthony Davis gets hurt and misses 15+ games

Lakers - The West looks like the 9th seed could win 45 to 50 games and miss the playoffs. The Lakers goal is to make the playoffs and get the young guys experience, while keeping the mileage off LeBron until the 2019/20 season. So they rest LeBron in a couple of games against bad teams like the Suns, Hawks, Kings etc. and they have a couple of bad losses that keep them out of the playoffs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OKC is sending Melo and a protected 2022 1st to Atlanta for Schroeder and Muscala, per Woj. Atlanta’s tank is in full swing.

Edited by caustic
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, msudaisy26 said:

I have a feeling he had another offer in the 8 to 10 million dollar range for only 1 or 2 years as a starter and he and his agent told the Celtics that they needed something like this to keep coming off the bench or he would bet on himself getting a bigger offer after being a starter. Or sign the tender and move after next year.

The only teams with cap space remaining are the Kings and Hawks . . . and the Hawks are at like $8.5 million. I have no idea who has exceptions available or for how much. Maybe there was a suitor out there, but there are not many teams that could have been in the running to sign Smart to an offer sheet.

The C's must have figured that they could have gotten Smart to play for $6 million this year but likely would have lost him next year with teams having more cap space available. So they decided they would rather have him around for 4 years (or would at least have a contract on the books as a salary match if they wanted to try to get someone else in).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So apparently this is a three-team trade:

Shams Charania @ShamsCharania

Sources: As part of multi-team Carmelo Anthony/Dennis Schröder deal, Atlanta's Mike Muscala will go to Philadelphia, 76ers' Timothé Luwawu-Cabarrot will be traded to Oklahoma City and 76ers' Justin Anderson to Atlanta.

3:54 PM · Jul 19, 2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, caustic said:

OKC is sending Melo and a protected 2022 1st to Atlanta for Schroeder and Muscala, per Woj. Atlanta’s tank is in full swing.

Will he play for the Hawks or get bought out and sign with Rockets?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Will he play for the Hawks or get bought out and sign with Rockets?

Definitely getting bought out, he’s met with Houston and Miami already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, msudaisy26 said:

ey track between the 4th and 10th seed all season and near the trade deadline the writing is on the wall that Butler is leaving and the best they can do with him is a 2nd round exit. They sell him off so they get something for him.

 

Nope.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Frostillicus said:

Nope.

I was hoping you didn't see this. I know it hurts your heart.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, caustic said:

OKC is sending Melo and a protected 2022 1st to Atlanta for Schroeder and Muscala, per Woj. Atlanta’s tank is in full swing.

Schroeder wasn’t very good last year, but he’s got to be a pretty big (albeit expensive) upgrade  at backup PG, right?  Solid move for OKC. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scoobus said:

Warriors, Rockets, Blazers, Thunder, Jazz, Spurs, Nuggets, Wolves, Pelicans, Lakers

Who’s missing the playoffs here?

I'm guessing the Thunder and (you heard it hear first) the Lakers.

The Lakers lost three of their most five productive players from last season (Nance at the deadline, and Randle and Lopez this offseason). I couldn't be any lower on Rondo and Stephenson for them, and I'm not terribly high on Ball and Ingram especially as support pieces next to other ball dominant players. Kuzma is fine but I suspect they are going to force him to play way out of position at center a lot this year. I am very excited to see McGee get 25 mpg though. Lebron is going to have to play nearly all of his minutes at the 4 and 5 and I don't think he can play enough minutes without injury to carry this team of misfits around him.

The Thunder really didn't work last year as intended. George and Westbrook aren't getting any better and the shooting around them is laughable. Schroder is going to pout, and he's a sub-ideal fit as both a backup and alongside Westbrook. Roberson probably won't return to form this season with the injury. They'll be very good defensively again but I think their offense is going to slip. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Short Corner said:

Don't players get taxed where the money is earned?  IIRC, players, at one time anyway, had to pay state taxes when they played away games to the state in which they were playing.

I’ve seen that listed as one of the barriers (as if the Atlantic Ocean isn’t big enough) to putting an NFL franchise there permanently.

it would be kind of funny to learn that the real reason superstars “rest” a game on some road trips is really just a tax dodge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Rustoleum said:

I’ve seen that listed as one of the barriers (as if the Atlantic Ocean isn’t big enough) to putting an NFL franchise there permanently.

it would be kind of funny to learn that the real reason superstars “rest” a game on some road trips is really just a tax dodge.

They still are getting paid their game check. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, scoobus said:

Warriors, Rockets, Blazers, Thunder, Jazz, Spurs, Nuggets, Wolves, Pelicans, Lakers

Who’s missing the playoffs here?

Wolves and Spurs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Moe. said:

Warriors, Rockets, Thunder, Lakers, Jazz, Spurs, Pelicans, Wolves is my guess.

For some reason I hate the Blazers this year 

I dunno if there are odds available yet but if anyone wants to bet on the Thunder missing the playoffs I am in. I think they are going to finish 2nd or 3rd. 

I'm bearish on Portland this year too.  They were a .500ish team if you take out their 13 game win streak which was against bad teams, teams without their stars or had otherworldly Dame performances.  They did nothing in the draft to improve and they are completely neutered in free agency as nobody wants to play here.  They were also pretty injury free last year.  The GM is an egotistical sycophant who kisses Paul Allen's white creepy butt at every turn and won't entertain trading CJ or Dame to improve.  This is a team destined for another first round exit IF they even get there.

 

All that said, I'll wager with you they do better than OKC Westbrooks and his nauseating brand of basketball.  $25-$50ish? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

I'm bearish on Portland this year too.  They were a .500ish team if you take out their 13 game win streak which was against bad teams, teams without their stars or had otherworldly Dame performances.  They did nothing in the draft to improve and they are completely neutered in free agency as nobody wants to play here.  They were also pretty injury free last year.  The GM is an egotistical sycophant who kisses Paul Allen's white creepy butt at every turn and won't entertain trading CJ or Dame to improve.  This is a team destined for another first round exit IF they even get there.

 

All that said, I'll wager with you they do better than OKC Westbrooks and his nauseating brand of basketball.  $25-$50ish? 

I think you guys should bet crypto shares. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kev4029 said:

I'm guessing the Thunder and (you heard it hear first) the Lakers.

The Lakers lost three of their most five productive players from last season (Nance at the deadline, and Randle and Lopez this offseason). I couldn't be any lower on Rondo and Stephenson for them, and I'm not terribly high on Ball and Ingram especially as support pieces next to other ball dominant players. Kuzma is fine but I suspect they are going to force him to play way out of position at center a lot this year. I am very excited to see McGee get 25 mpg though. Lebron is going to have to play nearly all of his minutes at the 4 and 5 and I don't think he can play enough minutes without injury to carry this team of misfits around him.

The Thunder really didn't work last year as intended. George and Westbrook aren't getting any better and the shooting around them is laughable. Schroder is going to pout, and he's a sub-ideal fit as both a backup and alongside Westbrook. Roberson probably won't return to form this season with the injury. They'll be very good defensively again but I think their offense is going to slip. 

Noted.  :popcorn:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Come on guys, Vegas has the Lakers at the 3rd best odds to win the Western Conference and you think they're not going to make the playoffs?

They have their O/U season wins at 50.5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

“We may not see this on day one, but the coaching staff is eager to see our version of the [Warriors’] Death Lineup with Lonzo [Ball], Josh Hart, Brandon Ingram, [Kyle] Kuzma and LeBron,” a second Lakers executive said.

Yes please.  :popcorn:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, modogg said:

would have been a locker room headache and chemistry issue if they didn't. Obviously the Boston guys probably know better, but it seemed some were not happy with how Thomas was treated the year before, and Smart seems to be a leader on the team (at least this year with the young guys). If they low-balled him could very well bite them back, so this is a smart move I think. you have to balance the smart bookmaking while at the same time be player-friendly. It was what killed Sam Hinkie, though I think that was never really the case

So many puns in here. I don't know if that was intentional or not though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

So who would you rather have. Smart for 4/52 or Bradley for 2/25?

Smart and I'm not even a Boston fan. Way better defense, younger and he's a competitor. Bradley is a nice player to have but theres so many things I view more important that Smart does that Bradley doesn't do. Plus I love the fact he can play PG/SG if necessary 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Moe. said:

Also - would anyone else ITT be interested in a fantasy league? My league with my friends has fizzled out over the years and I don't want to join a league with randoms who will quit in December. I'd be willing to put it all together if there is interest. 

I'm in if we get enough people. I started doing Fantasy Basketball the last few yrs and like it Helps past the time when Football and baseball aren't in session. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, scoobus said:

Jabari Parker sounds like a #######.

He's really not wrong it's what gets you paid in the NBA. The only time these so called experts even talk about defense is when it's about certain players. If the player is a great scorer they don't give a dam how bad your Defense is AKA James Harden 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, caustic said:

So apparently this is a three-team trade:

Shams Charania @ShamsCharania

Sources: As part of multi-team Carmelo Anthony/Dennis Schröder deal, Atlanta's Mike Muscala will go to Philadelphia, 76ers' Timothé Luwawu-Cabarrot will be traded to Oklahoma City and 76ers' Justin Anderson to Atlanta.

3:54 PM · Jul 19, 2018

I'm pretty high on TLC so I hope he proves people wrong. Kind of thought with more playing time he can be a productive 3 and D guy off the bench. Maybe eventually turns himself into a decent starter role player for someone 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, thecatch said:

Schroeder wasn’t very good last year, but he’s got to be a pretty big (albeit expensive) upgrade  at backup PG, right?  Solid move for OKC. 

Honestly if I'm Donovan I move Westbrook to SG and have Schroeder at PG. Westbrook is more a 2 then a 1. I've always thought Derrick Rose was the same way at least style wise to an extentent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reports circulating Leonard is now "warming up" to staying in Toronto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

He's really not wrong it's what gets you paid in the NBA. The only time these so called experts even talk about defense is when it's about certain players. If the player is a great scorer they don't give a dam how bad your Defense is AKA James Harden 

big man who can't play at least cromulent defense isn't going to get paid that much for that long.  it's different for guards, not to mention the fact that harden's offensive value is so much superior to almost everyone else.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

Honestly if I'm Donovan I move Westbrook to SG and have Schroeder at PG. Westbrook is more a 2 then a 1. I've always thought Derrick Rose was the same way at least style wise to an extentent. 

Can't do that. Neither Westbrook or Schroeder are good enough shooters or defenders to have out there at the same time. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.