What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Backup RBs to own (1 Viewer)

Jello_Biafra

Footballguy
I've been thinking about NFL team's backup RBs, and am starting to look at guys who may be cheap to get and have starter potential down the road (like a McKinnon last year). I'm looking at Yeldon right now. He's 24, was drafted 2.04, had a solid start to his carer, and they just gave up on him. If/when he becomes a FA, he may be able to land a starter spot. I'm scouring my leagues tonight to see how I can get him. 

Anyone got a backup RB they have their eyes on?

Gio? But I'm not sure how many years he has on his contract.

Abdullah has some upside as a CoP back on the right team.

I don't see a lot else out there atm.

I've been thinking about NFL team's backup RBs, and am starting to look at guys who may be cheap to get and have starter potential down the road (like a McKinnon last year). I'm looking at Yeldon right now. He's 24, was drafted 2.04, had a solid start to his carer, and they just gave up on him. If/when he becomes a FA, he may be able to land a starter spot. I'm scouring my leagues tonight to see how I can get him. 

Anyone got a backup RB they have their eyes on?
Big Yeldon fan.  Good size, caught 30+ balls each of his first 3 years (50 being his highest in 2016, and would have likely surpassed that in 2017 had he played all 16 games).  I could see him as a starter at some point ... somewhere else.  

Big Yeldon fan.  Good size, caught 30+ balls each of his first 3 years (50 being his highest in 2016, and would have likely surpassed that in 2017 had he played all 16 games).  I could see him as a starter at some point ... somewhere else.  
Yeldon is solid, but the window to be a starting RB in the NFL closes quickly in most cases. A lot will depend on team needs at RB and the incoming rookie crop.

Carson is the obvious one

Justin Jackson

John Kelly

Boston Scott

Chase Edmonds

Ryan Nall (big sleeper IMO if Howard is injured)

Jordan Wilkins (assuming Mack gets the first crack at the #1 RB in training camp)

A couple people saying Ware. I just can't imagine he'd be a FA and have much interest from teams. I think KC is the only team he could start for.

• If you are an old adherent of "The Curse of 370" then pick up James Conner and John Kelly.
  • Co-sign on Chris Carson above. 
  • Terry Swanson on the Texans is a very deep sleeper for rosters with 35+ players. 
  • Someone will get 8-12 carries for the Saints for the first four games. Jonathan Williams? The crystal ball is hazy. 
  • Also, pick up Tavon Austin if you can tolerate the guffaws from the other managers in your league. 

I would try to avoid pure back-ups and instead focus on lesser members of committees- especially when the lead guy isn't that good or it is ambiguous  Corey Clement, anyone in Indy or Green Bay, Peyton Barber and Tarik Cohen. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Carson is the obvious one

Justin Jackson

John Kelly

Boston Scott

Chase Edmonds

Ryan Nall (big sleeper IMO if Howard is injured)

Jordan Wilkins (assuming Mack gets the first crack at the #1 RB in training camp)
Liking Boston Scott, he should get some work with Ingram being suspended the first 4 games.

You think Perine is worth a stash? He played like a bum but hopes were pretty high for him.
Yes. I still have faith, but he's got 3 years left on his contract so he wouldn't be my top backup RB target unless I owned Guice. Dixon is worth targeting with the hope he can carve out a role. Abdullah will be a FA next year. pbandy1 has a nice list of rookie backups. I'd add Bo Scarbrough to that list. As for Yeldon, I feel like he's been typecast now and won't get a shot at a starting job as a FA, so I wouldn't target him very hard. Does CJA count as a backup? His ADP puts him right there with other backups (Jones, Foreman, Booker). 

Chris ivory is in buffalo now? He could get some usage, he’s better than most of the backups they’ve had there. 

As for Yeldon, I feel like he's been typecast now and won't get a shot at a starting job as a FA, so I wouldn't target him very hard 
Typecast by who, fantasy football players?  NFL teams will assess Yeldon's tape and decide his potential role based on that + their system.

There are a ton of good RBs and not many jobs so I don't disagree that Yeldon's path to a starting role is uphill.  But football value wise I don't think Jerrick McKinnon is a more valuable RB than Yeldon is and McKinnon just got a big lead back contract.  Free agency is hard to predict.  I think Yeldon is a little bit better than the average fantasy player's current perception of him so to me he's not a bad player to take a stab at.

Typecast by who, fantasy football players?  NFL teams will assess Yeldon's tape and decide his potential role based on that + their system.

There are a ton of good RBs and not many jobs so I don't disagree that Yeldon's path to a starting role is uphill.  But football value wise I don't think Jerrick McKinnon is a more valuable RB than Yeldon is and McKinnon just got a big lead back contract.  Free agency is hard to predict.  I think Yeldon is a little bit better than the average fantasy player's current perception of him so to me he's not a bad player to take a stab at.
He's played under two different coaching staffs and his carries have decreased each year. I would not read into McKinnon's FA contract. That was from SF and I'm not sure they know the value of a dollar. Nobody else was going to pay McKinnon that much. Dion Lewis, a much more proven, capable player than McKinnon, got a lot less money in the same FA market. 

I agree Yeldon is a little bit better than the consensus perception, but that's a really low bar. He's not a bad guy to have at the back of your bench (in leagues that roster 300+ players), but if you can't get him for free, I wouldn't trade anything of worth for him.

In terms of pure backup, Jaylen Samuels is my top target.  I try to target guys that will be free next year and get their shot ala McKinnon but in Samuels' case it's the opposite - there may be a cavernous opening ahead of him at this time next year.

Hankmoody said:
In terms of pure backup, Jaylen Samuels is my top target.  I try to target guys that will be free next year and get their shot ala McKinnon but in Samuels' case it's the opposite - there may be a cavernous opening ahead of him at this time next year.
Isn't he more of an H-Back (Full back / TE combo)?

Curious why you might consider him a replacement for Bell. This would be interesting to watch and he would be instantly on my radar

Isn't he more of an H-Back (Full back / TE combo)?

Curious why you might consider him a replacement for Bell. This would be interesting to watch and he would be instantly on my radar
You know what, I thought the same thing.  Then I saw him as a RB and was very impressed.  I like him as a RB more than TE.

I have Chase Edmonds and Devante Mays in basically every dynasty league I'm in. Wouldn't say either is an obvious future starter, but I liked both of them as draft flyers and anything can happen with starters getting injured. I was hoping to see more of Mays last year given all of the injuries that GB had at RB, but at least he made the roster and stuck for the entire season. With no significant RBs added their this year, he could get looks if Williams and Jones struggle.

With Guice going to Washington, I'd probably be willing to take a very cheap flyer on Perine if the price were low enough. I definitely don't see him as an elite talent, but he struck me as kind of a Rudi Johnson/Shonn Greene guy at Oklahoma and I think he could be a serviceable grinder in the right situation.

I could see Gio Bernard getting a new lease on life with a team change, though again I think the ceiling is limited. Probably only worth a shot in PPR leagues.

No reason to give up on him. He hasn't gotten his shot yet. He made the team last year and they didn't draft any RBs, so he should be on the roster again. 

No reason to give up on him. He hasn't gotten his shot yet. He made the team last year and they didn't draft any RBs, so he should be on the roster again. 
Mays is good. I don't think he will emerge in the GB backfield unless all 3 above him get hurt, but he certainly should get a chance though. IMO he was the best RB during the preseason; certainly played his way onto the roster. 

I do think unfortunately he may get cut this year... I see GB keeping 7 WRs this year. So that means they will probably keep 6. Last year they kept 5 I believe, but went heavy at RB because of the uncertainty. This year they are more uncertain at WR. They have to cut from somewhere, and unfortunately I think Mays may get the axe. I don't see them cutting Ripkowski and he is a FB who can definitely get carries. Love him. 

I'd be surprised if Mays didn't catch on. So to the OP's question, Mays definitely fits the bill

FF Ninja said:
He's played under two different coaching staffs and his carries have decreased each year. I would not read into McKinnon's FA contract. That was from SF and I'm not sure they know the value of a dollar. Nobody else was going to pay McKinnon that much. Dion Lewis, a much more proven, capable player than McKinnon, got a lot less money in the same FA market. 

I agree Yeldon is a little bit better than the consensus perception, but that's a really low bar. He's not a bad guy to have at the back of your bench (in leagues that roster 300+ players), but if you can't get him for free, I wouldn't trade anything of worth for him.
We mostly agree.  I’d be willing to give up a little to get Yeldon or invest a late round pick in a dynasty startup but he’s a flyer for sure.  His chances at earning a starting role in FA may be remote but I could also see a path to value for him as the passing down / COP back in a good offense.  You’re 100% right though, his usage in Jacksonville has been discouraging and it’s not a great sign that he’s currently getting pushed for the backup role by Corey Grant.

texasbirdfan said:
Matt Brieda
I like this one and he is so, so cheap.  I offered him to the McKinnon owner for a 2019 second because I needed the spot, and his reply was that if I cut him he may not even pick him up. 

He is backing up a RB who has proven nothing, in a potentially good offense.  McKinnon hasn't surpassed 160 carries or 3 rusing TDs in a season and his career YPC is nothing special.  No idea why the fantasy community is so high on him.  He had a few nice games last year, but Jonas Grey had a few nice games a few years ago too.  There easily could be opportunity for Breida, or Joe Williams - whoever wins the backup job.  I'd say at this point its Breida's job to lose.

I like this one and he is so, so cheap.  I offered him to the McKinnon owner for a 2019 second because I needed the spot, and his reply was that if I cut him he may not even pick him up. 

He is backing up a RB who has proven nothing, in a potentially good offense.  McKinnon hasn't surpassed 160 carries or 3 rusing TDs in a season and his career YPC is nothing special.  No idea why the fantasy community is so high on him.  He had a few nice games last year, but Jonas Grey had a few nice games a few years ago too.  There easily could be opportunity for Breida, or Joe Williams - whoever wins the backup job.  I'd say at this point its Breida's job to lose.
I tried moving Breida to the McKinnon owner, but as little as McKinnon has proven, Breida has proven less. Therefore he has no value even to McKinnon owners. He's a definite hold for me now. I think Williams wins the job, anyway. If they signed a vet like Murray then that is a backup I'd want. 

FF Ninja said:
As for Yeldon, I feel like he's been typecast now and won't get a shot at a starting job as a FA, so I wouldn't target him very hard.
I agree.  I'm a TJ fan but I don't ever see him getting starting RB $.  I really don't know why; maybe speed?

Users who are viewing this thread