Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheFanatic

Going to Ireland for a couple days. Never been to Europe. What do I need to know?

158 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, Kanil said:

Landed this morning. My advice: 

Get a window seat if you can.  We were in the middle aisle and sleep was near impossible (2 tylenol PM and I slept a couple hours) . 

I ended up taking a 45 minute nap and am going to power through bar closing.

You've got to go watch a world cup game while you're here. Pick just about any pub and watch. I'm not a soccer fan but this is so much fun. 

Pubs are also awesomely fun if there is a GAA hurling or Gaelic football match going. I remember the pubs being pretty intense for Gaelic football, but that was in September closer to the Championship.

Edited by Don Quixote
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Kanil said:

You've got to go watch a world cup game while you're here. Pick just about any pub and watch. I'm not a soccer fan but this is so much fun. 

I flew into Shannon on the morning Roy Keane was kicked off the national team just before the SKorea World Cup in '02, the last time they were in it, by-the-by. In the Daily Mail, the first 18 pages were about Keane, coach McCarthy & the Saipan Incident. Twas a great pleasure getting up @ 5am to file to the pub in Killadoon with 100 other sleepy souls to watch the matches broadcast @ dawn (or "don" as they call it there) from Korea and to be passed out from drink by 10AM, but we made it thru Group, only to lose on kicks to Spain in the first KO round. But what a time! Just mention "Saipan" at your pub this wk and let the craic roll.

Edited by wikkidpissah

Posted (edited)

On 6/24/2018 at 8:40 AM, Kanil said:

Landed this morning. My advice: 

Get a window seat if you can.  We were in the middle aisle and sleep was near impossible (2 tylenol PM and I slept a couple hours) . 

I ended up taking a 45 minute nap and am going to power through bar closing.

I'm usually an aisle seat guy. I just want to read my book and have easy access to the john if I need it. But that's domestic flying and no real need to sleep. I didn't book this flight so I'm guessing I'm ponying up the extra fee to change seats if I don;t have a window seat already. 

ETA: No seat assignment on my itinerary for the flight to Dublin. Says Checkin to get seat. On the way back it's 20C. Pretty sure that's a window seat. 

Edited by TheFanatic

Got a tentative schedule:

Day 1

7:00-11:00 am - Guest arrive/Check into hotel

11-3:00 pm - Free Time

3:00-4:00 pm - Early access/preview Meatopia Fest (opportunity to speak with festival chefs)

4:00-10:00 pm - Meatopia fest 

Day 2

12:30-2:00 PM Guinness Storehouse Tour - St. James Gate, Ushers, Dublin 8

4:00-10:00 pm - Meatopia Fest

Day 3:

Guest return home

Next year, I'm staying an extra 3-4 days. That's a pretty tight sched. The good news is, I could probably make them pretty happy after a couple hours at the fest and then I could bail. maybe find a pub with a soccer game?

Where is the hotel? Maybe something close by easier to fit the free time window?

2 hours ago, Don Quixote said:

Where is the hotel? Maybe something close by easier to fit the free time window?

Balfe Street. 

Knowing how this weekend will likely go, I hope I don't Balfe

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, TheFanatic said:

I'm usually an aisle seat guy. I just want to read my book and have easy access to the john if I need it. But that's domestic flying and no real need to sleep. I didn't book this flight so I'm guessing I'm ponying up the extra fee to change seats if I don;t have a window seat already. 

ETA: No seat assignment on my itinerary for the flight to Dublin. Says Checkin to get seat. On the way back it's 20C. Pretty sure that's a window seat. 

C is always aisle. Near corridor on the right side as you enter the plane (unless you enter behind your seat in which case it is stille near corridor, but left.) The flight crew will tell you in the door if you show the least bit of hesitation

No seat assignment on the way out has the potential to be very bad news (as in, sorry, you get to stay behind or go to Dublin on a less direct flight which will screw up all  your arrangements)

ETA: If you can check in electronically (usually possible up to 48 hours before your flight, at least it should be possible 24 hrs before) do so and get the least bad seat available

Edited by msommer

2 minutes ago, msommer said:

C is always aisle.

No seat assignment on the way out has the potential to be very bad news (as in, sorry, you get to stay behind or go to Dublin on a less direct flight which will screw up all  your arrangements)

I thought A was always aisle? I'm confused. I don't travel nearly as often as I used to. 

Just now, TheFanatic said:

I thought A was always aisle? I'm confused. I don't travel nearly as often as I used to. 

A is always window, B middle seat (if there), C aisle even if there is no middle seat (which there will be on a transatlantic flight. Also, see my edit of the post you quoted

1 person likes this

40 minutes ago, TheFanatic said:

Balfe Street. 

Knowing how this weekend will likely go, I hope I don't Balfe

Looking at it on a map, you are at least within walking distance of some good spots -- Trinity College/Book of Kells, St. Stephens Green, St. Patrick's Cathedral.  So, it should be easy to get around.

1 person likes this

57 minutes ago, msommer said:

A is always window, B middle seat (if there), C aisle even if there is no middle seat (which there will be on a transatlantic flight. Also, see my edit of the post you quoted

I'm pretty much aiming for a window seat. Any window seat. Just to be able to lean over and snooze. If not, I'm likely going the nap first route. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Don Quixote said:

Looking at it on a map, you are at least within walking distance of some good spots -- Trinity College/Book of Kells, St. Stephens Green, St. Patrick's Cathedral.  So, it should be easy to get around.

Any fine drinking establishments within stumbling distance of my hotel?

And what about Dublin Castle? That looks close enough to walk to and could get me my castle fix. 

Edited by TheFanatic

31 minutes ago, TheFanatic said:

Any fine drinking establishments within stumbling distance of my hotel?

And what about Dublin Castle? That looks close enough to walk to and could get me my castle fix. 

Within stumbling distance of the Temple Bar and Temple Bar district.   O'Donoghue's isn't far either, over by Merrion Square -- that's a pretty famous one.

I only got to see Dublin Castle from the bus.  Looks cool, but not sure what is to see there.

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, Don Quixote said:

Within stumbling distance of the Temple Bar and Temple Bar district.   O'Donoghue's isn't far either, over by Merrion Square -- that's a pretty famous one.

I only got to see Dublin Castle from the bus.  Looks cool, but not sure what is to see there.

Temple Bar looks like a bit of a hike on foot. Can I get an uber over there?

14 minutes ago, TheFanatic said:

Are you familiar with the concept of taxis?

:P 

1 person likes this

49 minutes ago, TheFanatic said:

Downtown Dublin isn't that big.  How long of a walk is it?  

I'm feeling pretty confident that you'll  find drinking close by your hotel. I don't even think you'll need a name of a bar, just walk and you'll find something up your alley. 

2 people like this

Just got back last week, spent a week there on my honeymoon.  Had a car for the week, great advice in springing for the automatic. Driving isn't that bad.  We started in Dublin, spent 2 days there.  Went to the Guinness factory, was a cool time.  Lots to see there. Also went to the Dublin Castle and took the tour.  Pretty cool history there.  A river splits Dublin, the side the Guinness factory is on is much nicer.  You can walk from one side of the city to the other in under an hour.  It is a flat city which is nice. Temple bar is kinda cool, especially at night.  Cool shopping areas there too.  Lots of homeless walking around though. Just watch your valuables.  We also saw RiverDance (wife wanted to), which was surprisingly cool.

From there we went to Cork, and on the outskirts of there was Blarney Castle.  I kissed the stone, even gave it some tongue. j/k.  But the castle is really cool. Cork is a cool city, but it shuts down early at night. Kinda reminds me of Pittsburgh, with a river surrounding it and hills on all sides, and some military history.

From Cork we went to Killarney for 2 nights.  My favorite place by far.  So much cool stuff and things to do and see.  Highly recommended.  Too much to list. I could literally go on and on about this city.  It borders their National Park, and the Ring of Kerry is there. Also Ross Castle is cool, and you can take horse and buggy rides and boat rides there, and prices are reasonable. Would love to go back and stay a week just in this city.

Then we went to see the Cliff of Moher.  It was late, but still light out, and windy and rainy. At one point, we were the only people there.  Was weird.  A place that you can see was made to hold hundreds, if not thousands at a time, it was just us.  Really cool.  Would have loved to see the cliffs on a sunny day, but the pics we did get were awesome because of the kind of weather we did have.  Very ominous.  

All in all, just awesome.  The people are incredible, the food just ok. Prices are good on most things.  We liked stopping in the middle of no where, getting out, and just walking around the little towns.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Brony said:

Downtown Dublin isn't that big.  How long of a walk is it?  

I'm feeling pretty confident that you'll  find drinking close by your hotel. I don't even think you'll need a name of a bar, just walk and you'll find something up your alley. 

Yeah, I don't think it is that far.  He said he is pretty close to Dublin Castle, and the Temple Bar district is basically across the street from there.

1 person likes this

Yeah, by your itinerary, you'll be stuck in Dublin.  Dublin Castle is pretty cool.  Take the tour if you can, it's only about an hour.  Some good history, and you see parts of the place that others wouldn't.  Much of the castle was destroyed, but some of it is still there, connected to newer buildings.  St Patricks Cathedral is in the area, also very cool.  By your time constraints, those two things will fit in your schedule along with just walking around a bit.  You will not need a mode of transportation other than your feet.  Plenty of pubs around.

1 person likes this

And if you didn't already know, you will need a voltage converter power adapter so you can safely plug your stuff up.

14 minutes ago, Copeman said:

And if you didn't already know, you will need a voltage converter power adapter so you can safely plug your stuff up.

Got one sitting new in the box next to my suitcase. Thanks GB

For all it's big business trappings, Guinness is a Protestant beverage.  As you go west and south of Dublin, it couldn't hurt to order Harp, the Catholic alternative.  

YIC,

Moonga-tirty

They're pretty big on Murphys as well.  It's a cheap Guinness, but its good.

56 minutes ago, Copeman said:

They're pretty big on Murphys as well.  It's a cheap Guinness, but its good.

I love Murphy's. Don't mind a Harp either. I don't choose my beverage based on religious affinity. 

1 person likes this

On 6/26/2018 at 2:56 PM, TheFanatic said:

I'm pretty much aiming for a window seat. Any window seat. Just to be able to lean over and snooze. If not, I'm likely going the nap first route. 

Call the airline now about seat assignment. The flight is likely overbooked and you don't have a seat. 

13 hours ago, Redwes25 said:

Call the airline now about seat assignment. The flight is likely overbooked and you don't have a seat. 

Good call. I'll do that today. 

On 6/26/2018 at 0:54 PM, msommer said:

ETA: If you can check in electronically (usually possible up to 48 hours before your flight, at least it should be possible 24 hrs before) do so and get the least bad seat available

OK, I've gotten my seat situation handled. Cost me $75 each way to get an aisle seat over the ocean. Worth every, tax deductible, cent! And as of right now, less than a week out, I've got nobody sitting next to me. Ohhhhh, how great would that be?

1 person likes this

Have fun!

On 6/29/2018 at 6:07 PM, gianmarco said:

Have fun!

I hope to. I just hope that I'm not heading to Ireland for 4 straight days of Jet Lag

A few thoughts on Dublin:

Just about the entire city is walkable. 

Loads of Americans around. 

The Guinness Storeroom was cool. It was more like a museum than any brewery tour I've been on and focused a lot on the history. 

The Jameson tour was not worth it, imo.  Three 15 minute presentations, 3 shots, and you're out. 

Temple Bar felt like a tourist trap to me.  Expensive and packed. 

Soccer is called soccer, not football.  Football is Gaelic football and for real men.

World cup games were a blast here. Large Brazilian contingent in town. 

My favorite bar was Lord Edward's.  The barman there was a lot of fun. 

The fish and chips shop attached to Lord Edward's was the best I've had and the portions are huge. 

Trinity college was cool but if you're going to go on the book of kells your, book online before you go.  The line is much shorter. PS - The book of kells was just meh but the library at the end was maybe the coolest thing I've seen. 

19 hours ago, Kanil said:

A few thoughts on Dublin:

Just about the entire city is walkable. 

Loads of Americans around. 

The Guinness Storeroom was cool. It was more like a museum than any brewery tour I've been on and focused a lot on the history. 

The Jameson tour was not worth it, imo.  Three 15 minute presentations, 3 shots, and you're out. 

Temple Bar felt like a tourist trap to me.  Expensive and packed. 

Soccer is called soccer, not football.  Football is Gaelic football and for real men.

World cup games were a blast here. Large Brazilian contingent in town. 

My favorite bar was Lord Edward's.  The barman there was a lot of fun. 

The fish and chips shop attached to Lord Edward's was the best I've had and the portions are huge. 

Trinity college was cool but if you're going to go on the book of kells your, book online before you go.  The line is much shorter. PS - The book of kells was just meh but the library at the end was maybe the coolest thing I've seen. 

This is outstanding info. 

I hate tourist trap bars. If I walked up to the Temple bar and it was packed, I would've found someplace else. I'll check out Lord Edward's for all those reasons you mentioned. 

I was on the fence on Book of Kells. Thinking the Dublin castle instead. 

One more question for those that have been. What should I be looking for in the shops to get the wife and kids that will fit in the luggage? I'm bad at shopping for the fam while traveling. For my kids I used to run by the dollar store when I got home and pick them up stuff. 

20 hours ago, TheFanatic said:

One more question for those that have been. What should I be looking for in the shops to get the wife and kids that will fit in the luggage? I'm bad at shopping for the fam while traveling. For my kids I used to run by the dollar store when I got home and pick them up stuff. 

How old are your kids? My son is 7 and I picked him up an Irish Republic soccer Jersey for €10.

Be there for just over two weeks starting in late September. Only thing I don't have covered is Newgrange. Will try to arrange it, but just don't know if time will allow. Bus and taxi from Dublin, then 2.5 hours for the tour itself. Sounds like maybe a 5 hour thing overall from downtown Dublin.

Day 2 in Dublin. Landed yesterday at 7 am. Flight was brutal. There was an infant 10 feet from who was abnormally loud (more on that in a sec). He finally settled down about an hour after they turned the lights off. Then the guy directly in front of me started coughing. I got maybe an hour of sleep on the flight. After we land and everyone stands up to grab carry on luggage and I find out it wasn’t one infant. It was twin infants! Checked in, ironed some clothes and tried to take a nap. Walls here are thin. Maybe slept an hour.

I walked the city for about 2 hours and then came back for a shower. The long hot shower was a mistake. That wiped me out. Getting to the event at 4 helped a lot. Having something to focus on was huge. Shot the scene till about 8:30. Went back to the hotel. Was planning on hitting a pub but Belgium was playing Brazil. Everywhere was packed. Like huge crowds outside every pub just hanging out. Settled on the pub in the hotel. The bartender really knew his whisky and the selection was great so it worked out well. I hung out there till 10:30 before crashing.

today was more walking around and a little shopping then had some special tour of the Guinness brewery. Now back at the hotel resting/charging the phone and then back down for my second day of Meatopia UK.

I fly out tomorrow at 9. I should be home by 5 there but it will feel like 11 to me. Any jet lag tricks for going back the other way?

3 people like this

So going to Europe for the weekend was the coolest and dumbest thing I've ever done. I'm glad I got to experience Europe but the Jet lag is a killer. First two days are basically travelling and exhaustion. Third day was great followed by a day of travel and then a couple more days of exhaustion. 

I explained to my handlers that next year needed and extra day on either side of the event to do this right. Also, next year myself and my coworker won't be as constricted on what days we can take off due to huge projects at work that involve lots of blackout dates for days off. Otherwise I would've stuck around for a few more days. 

Am I glad I did it? Yes. Would I do it again? Not a chance. Not on that time frame. 

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, TheFanatic said:

So going to Europe for the weekend was the coolest and dumbest thing I've ever done. I'm glad I got to experience Europe but the Jet lag is a killer. First two days are basically travelling and exhaustion. Third day was great followed by a day of travel and then a couple more days of exhaustion. 

I explained to my handlers that next year needed and extra day on either side of the event to do this right. Also, next year myself and my coworker won't be as constricted on what days we can take off due to huge projects at work that involve lots of blackout dates for days off. Otherwise I would've stuck around for a few more days. 

Am I glad I did it? Yes. Would I do it again? Not a chance. Not on that time frame. 

Wuss

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, TheFanatic said:

I'd go back in a heartbeat.  If you need an assistant to like, hold camera lenses or taste test something, let me know.

1 hour ago, TheFanatic said:

!

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, msommer said:

Wuss

I feel like one. It was basically 1 day of not being absolutely exhausted sandwiched in between 2 days of complete exhaustion plus 10 hours in a plane each way. 

1 person likes this