What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Clarett and Mike Williams BLOCKED! (1 Viewer)

pretender

Footballguy
It is being reported on ESPN Draft special that it appears that the court has ruled in the favor of the NFL and granted a stay for Maurice Clarett and Mike Williams and the high school players that filed for eligability so they can't enter the draft. They are saying they think Clarett will be able to file an appeal before a 12 Judge appeals panel possibly before the draft this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
The following are probably dancing in their living rooms right now:Roy WilliamsReggie WillaimsLee EvansRashaun WoodsMichael ClaytonMichael JenkinsDevery HendersonKeary ColbertThey'll be making a little more scratch now. :eek: :eek:

The judges are holding off the case until after the draft.
I'm not sure I get what you're saying here. Are the judges not making a decision on this yet? If did they actually make a ruling and delcare them blocked from the draft?If there was no ruling, then they are eligible for the draft, as that is how it stands currently.

If they don't end up in the draft will they be able to go back to school or are they screwed because they declared themselves eligible? Seems because it was ruled by the court and then taken back away by court they should be eligible to return to school.

There was a ruling and it favored the NFL. Clarett needs to file an appeal to a 12 panel judge committee thing (something like that).

1. I feel bad for Mike Williams. At a minimum, the NCAA should restore his elgibility because he was working in good-faith that he would be able to enter the draft.2. Roy Williams wasn't going to go behind Mike anyway.Colin

The judge granted a stay. That makes them ineligible based on what is being reported from ESPN. A special supplemental draft would take place if the NFL loses this case. Very very interesting. My closet full of Mike Williams bobbleheads are going to get mighty dusty if he is out of football a whole year. The worst part of this is Williams revoked his collegiate option through this process.

1. I feel bad for Mike Williams. At a minimum, the NCAA should restore his elgibility because he was working in good-faith that he would be able to enter the draft.2. Roy Williams wasn't going to go behind Mike anyway.Colin
Agreed on both counts, but Colin, stop replying to this thread and make us an updated MOCK! ;)

The judge granted a stay. That makes them ineligible based on what is being reported from ESPN. A special supplemental draft would take place if the NFL loses this case. Very very interesting. My closet full of Mike Williams bobbleheads are going to get mighty dusty if he is out of football a whole year. The worst part of this is Williams revoked his collegiate option through this process.
A burgeoning internet empire and a bobble head collector. A true manly man!

The following are probably dancing in their living rooms right now:Roy WilliamsReggie WillaimsLee EvansRashaun WoodsMichael ClaytonMichael JenkinsDevery HendersonKeary ColbertThey'll be making a little more scratch now. :eek: :eek:

A special supplemental draft would take place if the NFL loses this case. Very very interesting.
If this occurred it would cause havoc in my dyansty leagues. Hollings was one thing, but Clarett and maybe Williams? Ouch.Why is Clarett's side any different than Williams at this point?

What's interesting is I don't think the special supplemental draft would be that far out, rather it would occur as soon as the hearing was over ASSUMING of course that Clarett wins an appeal, which many view as unlikely. Seems quite a few labor lawyers have maintained that the surprise was Clarett winning the first case and that the overturn was more akin with most people's interpretation of the law.

What's interesting is I don't think the special supplemental draft would be that far out, rather it would occur as soon as the hearing was over ASSUMING of course that Clarett wins an appeal, which many view as unlikely. Seems quite a few labor lawyers have maintained that the surprise was Clarett winning the first case and that the overturn was more akin with most people's interpretation of the law.
Yup, that's what I heard. On the other hand, I also heard the complete opposite of that and everything in between. ;) Nobody knows what is going to happen except maybe a few judges.

Although its not what he wants, this may be the best thing for Maurice Clarett. Right now hes a third round draft pick at best. If he would just go back to school and play one FULL season at Ohio St, it would do wonders for his draft stock next year. As for Mike Williams, too bad for him. He would have been a top 15 pick on Saturday.

The worst part of this is Williams revoked his collegiate option through this process.
I've got to believe that there would be some sort of exception made for a special case like this. For Williams to lose a year of football because of this would be horribly unjust. He didn't do anything wrong -- he was just playing by the rules that were set out at the time.

How would this new supplimental draft work? What determines pick order. Can the bolts take manning, then Mike Williams in the supp draft? What about contracts? Will this effect the $$$?

what a mess for dynasty leagues
Dynasty leagues that have drafted rookies before the NFL draft deserve a mess. If you're not going to wait to see what NFL teams these guys land on, you might as well just draw names out of a hat and allocate them to FF teams.

Although its not what he wants, this may be the best thing for Maurice Clarett. Right now hes a third round draft pick at best. If he would just go back to school and play one FULL season at Ohio St, it would do wonders for his draft stock next year. As for Mike Williams, too bad for him. He would have been a top 15 pick on Saturday.
You are making a very big assumption that OSU would even take Clarett back. Honestly, I think they cut all ties with Maurice. He's done ample to merit a dismissal from the team, so they would be within their rights.Mike on the other hand, I think USC goes to bat for him in an appeal to the NCAA to regain his eligibility.

Do the Chargers get the 1st pick in the supplemental draft?
No, not necessarily. Someone posted a framework for the supplemental draft a few days back,Basically teams get lumped into 3 tiers (worst 1/3, middle 1/3, playoff teams).Within each tier, a lottery-style thing happens, so any team in the bottom 1/3 gets a shot at the top pick in the supplemental draft.

Have to agree with this. Chances for eligibility through the supplemental draft for these guys just shot through the roof. Most interesting in the article to me was this little quote...
It's possible that Clarett, Williams and seven other undistinguished underclassmen could seek further recourse from the courts, but more unlikely that they can have the stay overturned before the draft begins.

Dynasty leagues that have drafted rookies before the NFL draft deserve a mess. If you're not going to wait to see what NFL teams these guys land on, you might as well just draw names out of a hat and allocate them to FF teams.
Many dynasties hold their drafts the week after the NFL draft. So it's still a mess, even for those who waited til after the draft....

Dynasty leagues that have drafted rookies before the NFL draft deserve a mess.
It could be a mess even for leagues that draft after the NFL draft. A lot of leagues are probably ill-equipped to deal with good "supplemental" players.Our league had a big knock-down, drag-out over Hollings last year and we determined that supplementals would NOT be considered rookies but would be available in our free agent draft (this wasn't my vote, but that's what the majority wanted).At least in our case, we have established a precedent and can roll with it IF there is a supplemental. It actually gets more interesting if there ISN'T a supplemental, because that will be "new" territory.

No, not necessarily. Someone posted a framework for the supplemental draft a few days back,Basically teams get lumped into 3 tiers (worst 1/3, middle 1/3, playoff teams).Within each tier, a lottery-style thing happens, so any team in the bottom 1/3 gets a shot at the top pick in the supplemental draft.
Plus, it's not a free pick. The team would forfeit its first round pick next year, assuming a first-round supplemental pick. It wouldn't necessarily be the best move for one of the teams at the top of the draft to make that move.

:thumbup: I agree.

You are making a very big assumption that OSU would even take Clarett back. Honestly, I think they cut all ties with Maurice. He's done ample to merit a dismissal from the team, so they would be within their rights.Mike on the other hand, I think USC goes to bat for him in an appeal to the NCAA to regain his eligibility.
Now that I think about it, Clarett and Williams may not even be eligible to play in college next year because they hired agents to represent them. They could be screwed.

Mort stated on the Dan Patrick show that Williams could get his eligibility back if he repaid any money he had borrowed to hire an agent.

Many dynasties hold their drafts the week after the NFL draft. So it's still a mess, even for those who waited til after the draft....
My league made rules just for that situation. You should get your commish and league mates to do the same.

Here is another article from NFL.com re: supplemental drafts...http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6452668M

Wow. They're just ####### with these guys lives here. They really need to do better than to just give the NFL a stay on their former rules. I hope the Judges make a decision this week, this is Bogus.

Clarett is appealing right this moment.
And his mom is busily returning merchandise she bought on credit at the local Wal-Mart.Hey, this has been some offseason, huh? Let the women have their soap operas. We have the NFL. Bring on the draft, baby!

thank you Captain Obvious

It could be a mess even for leagues that draft after the NFL draft. A lot of leagues are probably ill-equipped to deal with good "supplemental" players.Our league had a big knock-down, drag-out over Hollings last year and we determined that supplementals would NOT be considered rookies but would be available in our free agent draft (this wasn't my vote, but that's what the majority wanted).At least in our case, we have established a precedent and can roll with it IF there is a supplemental. It actually gets more interesting if there ISN'T a supplemental, because that will be "new" territory.
this is what I was referring to

You and Schneikes have a point. Still, with 4 1/2 months to the start of the season, why the hurry to have a rookie draft? Just delay it until more shakes out on the situation with these 2 guys.

You and Schneikes have a point. Still, with 4 1/2 months to the start of the season, why the hurry to have a rookie draft?
Because it takes more skill to draft in April than in August when everything is spelled out.For Guppy leagues I think it's a good idea to wait, but if your in a dynasty with sharks having your rookie draft early is the only way to go.

The dynasty solution is easy, folks.The leagues I am in do draft 1 week after the NFL draft. In most we have blind bidding for FAs using an equal FA purse that each team starts the new season with, and FA starts in June. In one league, we finally pounded out the solution that teams can make blind bids in a separate supplemental draft using next season's draft picks, following the current year's draft order for priority in the event of a tie. It mimics the NFL solution while not using this year's FA $$$. This seems to have worked out well. The team that got Hollings burned this year's 1st rounder on him, but there obviously is no guarantee that any NFL or FF 1st rounder will pan out, so it seemed a reasonable risk given the HOU RB situation at the start of preseason.In another league, we had what I would consider a less than optimal solution of using the following year's FA $$$ in a separate supplimental draft. Of course, one team bid all of its FA $$$ for Hollings, meaning that they have Hollings on their roster but no capability of obtaining FAs this year - meaning they are going to struggle mightily, I would guess.

and that's why you don't have seprate drafts. Pool them all together and increase the talent level of each draft

Users who are viewing this thread