What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Outlook - Josh Gordon and Surrounding Cast - Believe the Hype? (1 Viewer)

Justin Howe

I'll preface by stating that I do, in general, like Gordon this year. In our FBG rankings, he's my PPR WR18, just below JuJu but ahead of Cooks and the Tate/Thomas/Crabtree volume crew. Tied for the highest mark on staff.

But I simply can't get on board with some of the upside projections I'm seeing. Some are truly assigning him the same ceiling he showed in 2013 - over 22 PPR pt/gm, right in line with Antonio Brown's best season - and prescribing we leverage that level of upside. But even beyond the Gordon-obvious, there are several questions in play here.

Namely, where does all of this volume come from? The 2013 Browns were an exceptionally high-paced offense, and they ran the ball a miniscule 32% of the time. Gordon's competition for WR targets was Davonne Bess and Greg Little. Conversely, these Browns are relatively slow-paced, and they're heavily invested in the run. They're also deeply, deeply invested in a perennial 90-catch slot man as an extension of that run game. We don't need to chase 2013 numbers to get Gordon value, of course, and it's not fair to demand them from a 3/4 pick. But to even project a line around 65 catches, you probably have to presuppose most if not all of the following:

- Hue and Haley move quickly away from the run, after investing heavily in Hyde, Chubb, and Tyrod.

- Haley speeds up the offense and creates significantly more snaps. This is possible, as PIT snaps ramped up gradually over his tenure, but Haley's resume is a complex and overstated one. He's captained 3 offenses that weren't led by HoF QBs, finishing 27, 13, and 28 in points.

- Landry doesn't make much of a dent. I only give him 20.9% of targets - significantly lower than his Miami tenure - and that still eats up 120ish looks.

- No other Browns make notable steps forward or dents in the pie. My numbers call for around 75 Duke targets and only tiny boosts for Njoku/DeValve, and that still keeps the WR targets relatively capped. Again, this is not a high-volume offense.

- Gordon makes a leap of 7-10% in catch rate. Doable, as that's not a very sticky stat, but we have 40 games from which to profile Gordon's efficiency. Film is film, but it feels uncomfortable to make that leap in projection right now.

- The team itself improves markedly, to the point that we can start expecting higher-efficiency throws and red zone usage and stop praying for 40-yard touchdowns. Here's the list of 8-TD wideouts over the last five years, and it's hard to find too many guys from 3-13-type teams in the bunch. Yes, Gordon was one of those guys in 2013, but that was truly an oddball season.

- Taylor shows efficiency that he struggled for in Buffalo and/or Mayfield is a surprisingly adept downfield passer from Day One. In any event, there's no offensive shakeup or dip in production when Mayfield inevitably gets starts, and the passing game continues to hum along without issue.

This is before we consider Gordon's many personal relapses, of course. Gordon is tantalizing and I'm high on him, as staff rankings suggest. But I think we can all agree his 2013 production isn't even a little bit projectable, and that there are more potential roadblocks between him and 1300-9 than many of his ADP-mates. It's a sizeable bet on Hue Jackson, the Browns, Tyrod Taylor, and Josh Gordon's sobriety. I'm a fairly proactive fantasy guy - again, I rank him as high as any other FBG ranker. But at cost, there are significantly better all-around situations to shoehorn those numbers into.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @Justin Howe

Expound on Taylor some. I think to me that's one of the bigger keys. Lots of people are putting a good bit of Gordon's ceiling on a very positive impact from Taylor. 

@Justin Howe, you project 20.9% target share for Landry, what do you project for Gordon? A 7% bump in catch rate would put him at 50% and using your "around 65 catches" comment above that means you project ~130 targets, is that correct?

@Justin Howe, you project 20.9% target share for Landry, what do you project for Gordon? A 7% bump in catch rate would put him at 50% and using your "around 65 catches" comment above that means you project ~130 targets, is that correct?
It’s likely a 7% bump from his career rate, not from last season’s rate with Kizer “throwing” “him” the football.

Career rate- 52%

Career rate when you subtract Kizer- 53.3%

Thanks @Justin Howe

Expound on Taylor some. I think to me that's one of the bigger keys. Lots of people are putting a good bit of Gordon's ceiling on a very positive impact from Taylor. 
Taylor's actually been a bit underrated over the last few years. He's truly a fine downfield passer. Every year, Jonathan Kinsley of Brick Wall Blitz does a comprehensive study of the deep ball, ranking the previous season's passers with an eye on pass depth, window openings, and defensive pressure. It's subjective, but a fine guide to the previous year's deep game. Last year, Taylor checked in seventh NFL-wide on the aggregate. According to Kinsley, "[Taylor] faced the 2nd highest rate of tight windows downfield, the 7th highest rate of pressure, and saw 9 of his accurate passes get wasted by incompletions." He was dynamite (in spurts) with Sammy Watkins, and according to Kinsley maximized the Bills' atrocious skill-position talent in 2017.

That said, Taylor also comes with a host of worrisome issues. First and foremost, he's not a particularly good underneath guy. Quick reads, trapping defenses with shrewd look-offs, finding his safety valve at the chains - these aren't Taylor's strong suits. There's a reason the six quarterbacks ahead of him in the DBP were Brissett, Prescott, Rodgers, Ryan, Kizer, and Alex Smith. Hardly a list of the NFL's elite. 

And, yes, that's right. The awful DeShone Kizer was, by this exhaustive study, a stronger downfield passer last year than Taylor. And with Kizer, Gordon caught just 18 of 42 targets.

On the surface, this all sounds like bad news for Jarvis Landry and good times for Gordon, but it's not quite that simple. If we want to peg Gordon as a deep-centric guy, then we have to strip away a lot of the volume we want to project onto him. Even armed with a deep thrower like Taylor, an NFL offense isn't going to add too many deep balls to its base offense. At the very least, we can't responsibly project it, especially in June. So, even if Gordon is 2013-dominant on the deep ball, it's still hard to work him past 60-65 catches. This isn't the Greatest Show on Turf. Even with scaled improvement, this offense looks like a sub-standard unit, one that will likely hurt for drive extensions and touchdown opportunity. In my eyes, a downfield-dynamic Gordon still doesn't project beyond around 65-1100-8 or so. Fine numbers, for sure, and destined to be top-20 marks among wideouts. But still a far, far cry from the 2013 ceiling many of us are looking it.

There's also the concern (certainty?) that Taylor eventually loses the starting gig. Taylor was never definitively signed off on as a Bill, and Mayfield is the future - and a more NFL-ready prospect in my eyes than many other top quarterback picks. Taylor also tends to run his way into injuries, having missed time in every season as an NFL starter. There's a strong chance that by midseason:

a) the Browns are floundering around 2-6;
b) Taylor is struggling, at least a bit;
c) Taylor goes down or is clearly limited by an injury; and/or
d) the pressure is on from some other factor to get Mayfield under center

And when Mayfield hits the huddle, I think we can project a downtick for Gordon. Mayfield was a truly fine downfield passer in school, but I won't expect him to hit the ground with a deep-oriented game plan. I'm expecting him to take on a simplified role, with Landry and Duke Johnson as primary reads underneath on a lot of throws, and Gordon used a bit more as a downfield novelty. Put it this way: if I project Gordon to take on 22% of targets from Taylor, I likely won't expect more than around 19% from Mayfield. That discrepancy doesn't leap off the page, but it's a drop of 17-20 targets over a full season, with likely less efficiency.

All told - even with 2007 Tom Brady under center, it would be shortsighted to project Gordon particularly closely to his 2013 eruption. The fact that it's 2018 Tyrod/Mayfield gives me more optimism than I've had for the Browns in years, but still a generally underwhelming 2018 situation. I believe in being proactive, but not in assuming wild one-offs from five years ago are just around the corner.

I have 21.0% for Gordon - essentially the same - but with fewer games/less certainty, he falls behind a hair in raw targets. Attached are my CLE numbers as of now.

I actually boosted his catch rate to 52%, kept his YPR wild at 17.4, and gave him a studly 10.0% touchdown rate. Over a 16-game season with a static role, that would work to 121-63-1,094-6.3. The fact that I gave him so many benefits of the efficiency doubts - it's exceptionally rare I ever project 17+ YPR, especially for a high-volume guy, and a 10% TD rate is a tough ask on a bad team - makes me feel good about being a little bearish on his target share. He certainly has a path to 70 catches, but his per-catch would dip some with that kind of volume. We never see Brown, Hopkins, or even Beckham sniff 17 YPR, because supplemental volume is typically added through more typical (short/underneath) usage.

Which, again, is not Tyrod's forte.

In my eyes, when we evaluate 2018 Gordon, we can't have it both ways - a mega-dynamic downfield assassin AND an efficient volume guy underneath. If I were given a clean slate to project 23-year-old Gordon for the 2014 season, I'd be more bullish, and probably project something like 80-1,350-9. But I can't simply throw the last five years away, nor can I assume Taylor/Mayfield are definitive 2018 saviors.

cle.png

Go watch the last clip on Gordon's IG story, before it disappears..

JESUS ALMIGHTY.

He gets that ball, and literally the entire field becomes a blur w his speed... no one even in his universe around him.

Good lord, someone get my puffer.

Mayfield will be the starting QB sooner rather than later, IMO, but even with a rookie QB, you've got to be excited about this offense.

Chubb/Duke/Hyde/Gordon/Landry/Coleman/Njoku is an outstanding group of weapons. Some question marks for sure, but their production potential is off the charts. Decent OL, as well.

The Browns could be one of the surprise teams of 2018 if things come together, but I'm leery of Jackson as a HC. I do like the Haley hire, though.

The way he glides and his easy speed at that size. Not something you see every day. Football deserves him on the field.

2 very accurate QBs.

will likely have a 98% catch rate
Taylor is accurate and he does throw the deep ball well (which benefits Gordon) but he's very tentative about attacking a defense which helps his accuracy numbers but doesn't create big stats for him or his WRs. For Browns fans, he may actually help them win some games, but Gordon owners need to hope the Browns are not winning games so that they make the switch to Mayfield - who has some gunslinger in him. Then of course they'd need to hope Mayfield's game translates to the NFL level - I think it will but of course we don't know for sure yet.

Gordon is a tremendous talent (and a great story) but I think the chances of him even being a top 12 WR (let alone the top WR) are pretty slim. I can see a pretty conservative offense featuring a Hyde-Chubb combo run heavy offense with Landry and Duke seeing the most targets in the passing game. My projections for Gordon are pretty conservative right now (61-944-8) but he certainly has major upside off those numbers which needs to be accounted for in rankings.

This has the potential to be a pretty good offense.  Lot of quality parts are in place.  But as far as the stats of any one guy other than QB?  Well, the FF downside of having a lot of quality parts in place is that there are a lot of mouths to feed.  I’m not sure that CLE doesn’t become a take-what-the-D-gives-you type team and exploits different Ds differently each week.  That tends to mellow FF numbers for any one guy (other than QB).

Overall--I generally agree that Gordon will be a really solid PPR WR.   I think I have him in my top 15 for this upcoming season.   With that being said--I disagree with one notion that is being mentioned here.   I think the Browns improving as a team could and actually would probably be detrimental to Gordon's fantasy outlook--not beneficial. 

Just taking a closer look at the 2013 season--Gordon had 159 targets, 87 recpts, 1646 yards. 

53 of those targets, 33 receptions came in the 4th quarter-568 yards

37 targets, 19 recepts 411 yards in the 3rd quarter--411 yards. 

This means that 90 of his targets, 52 receptions and 979 of his yards came in the 2nd halves of games

6 of his 9td's also came in the second half.  Only 4 of his 9 td's were to tie/go ahead in games-many of the  rest were while they were trailing by a larger margin

99 of his targets, 62 of his recepts, 1192 of his yards, and 7 of his td's came on downs where the browns had 10+ yards to go.  Many of these stats came on 1st and 10 situations.  If the Browns improve--and because they have so many more weapons--I'm not sure that Gordon will get this many first down homerun balls thrown his way.  

Looking through these 2013 splits/stats---I think Gordon thrived because the Browns had a lack of other options--and they tended to be playing from behind a lot.   If the Browns improve to where they are ahead or more competitive in games--they might utilize the run more--or even use Landry's receiving game as an extension of the run.   This is why i don't see Gordon replicating his 2013 season--but he doesn't have to do so (or do anything really close to it) to take him where he's going.   In my opinion he'll be a solid wr2 with some really big games sprinkled in.  

Justin Howe said:
Every year, Jonathan Kinsley of Brick Wall Blitz does a comprehensive study of the deep ball, ranking the previous season's passers with an eye on pass depth, window openings, and defensive pressure. It's subjective, but a fine guide to the previous year's deep game.
This was a really interesting read but I was extremely surprised to see Stafford ranked 27th.

Users who are viewing this thread