What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So my house was destroyed by hail--BOA still sucks. (1 Viewer)

Great to hear that everything should work out well in the end.  What kind of car did your wife get?  What are you looking at when you buy a new one?
Wife got a loaded Chevy Cruze. I am looking at a Honda Civic Sport or a Subaru WRX. My totaled car was a Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, so I am looking for a speedy, little import that doesn't break the bank and is good in snow. . 

The idea of hail big enough to do this kind of damage is alien to me.  I’ve never seen hail bigger than an M&M.  

The weather sucks here in the summer but I guess I’ll take 100F most of the summer over my house getting its ### kicked in a snowball fight with God. 

USE A LOCAL CONTRACTOR FOR ALL REPAIRS. 

I can't stress this enough. Back in 2013 or 14 Michigan got hit with a big hail storm. There are quite a few traveling construction crews that chase this kind of work. We didn't use one, but a few of our neighbors did. They were bragging how much money they made off the storm. These out of town guys would come on and say this is what the insurance company will fix and how much they will pay. If you use our company we will bill them for the full amount and only charge you 3000 less and give you the money. 

The problem is they are hacking everything in and going as fast as possible. So it usually isn't the best quality. One of our neighbors had his roof leak after they fixed it and couldn't even find the company to try to make them honor the warranty. When he contacted the insurance company they told them that these storm chasing contractors will change their name and the name of the owner as soon as the pack up and leave the state. 
I was hit with this storm.....Allstate was great....came out right away and got my new roof, new siding , new gutters, downspouts the whole bit, even paid for my bbq grill that got thrown across my yard

The idea of hail big enough to do this kind of damage is alien to me.  I’ve never seen hail bigger than an M&M.  

The weather sucks here in the summer but I guess I’ll take 100F most of the summer over my house getting its ### kicked in a snowball fight with God. 
17 years ago we had baseball size hail and that was only for five minutes and it was insane.  Can't imagine what @Courtjesterwent through.  Our roof was new but SF paid for a new one plus all kinds of other stuff. GB of mine owned a roofing company, he put the original on, patched it up and it was fine.  Ended up clearing almost 20k.  Most of my other friends and family came out similarly.  The event is now referred to as Hail From Heaven. 

Was/we’re your original structure(s)conforming or non conforming according to the zoning district you are in. If non conforming you need to check with your local zoning department to see what they allow.

sorry to hear. Good luck

So, it has been almost six months since we went through the storm and we are still dealing with this mess.

When I left off we were about to be relocated from our house. We paid our niece to come catch the sole occupant of our 60 gallon fish tank--an almost 18 inch pleco and she went into a small tank in the bathtub.The restoration company showed up and Boom, a house full of people packing up everything we own and moving it to the pods in front of our house. I mean everything went from dirty clothes in our hamper to pretty much all the furniture from a 3000 sq foot house with no apparent rhyme or reason to it. The kids called me at work panicked about what to do. I mean, we had no idea how long we were going to be in a hotel, so I tell them grab seven days worth of clothes.  Now my kids, bless their hearts, grabbed clothes that they would like to see me in--not clothes that I actually wear. Needless to say , my attire the next day consisted of green khakis, white shirt and a pink and blue tie--not my finest moment. We did not have access to the boxes in the pods, because they were behind all the heavy furniture, so pull out the credit cards--we all need clothes. 

Almost 40 days pass, yes 40 DAYS in a hotel with two teenage girls and a very stressed wife. Luckily this place gave us four free drink coupons a day-it goes without saying I became very good friends with the hotel bartender. The other catch, we didn't have a kitchenette --just a bar fridge and so we had to eat out every single meal for this time period. Talk about expensive and not good for the old weight.  

We made the call to re-carpet the house, since why not, everything was out of it. We had them replace all the window coverings as well. When we moved back in, of course our old furniture clashed with the paint schemes, so we refurnished most of the main level and my daughter's bedroom. This was very expensive (we are not FBG rich) and my credit cards are still smoking from it. 

We move back in to a new house top to bottom---everything is wonderful. Nope enter BOA. They want an inspection. Fine--lets get it done. The only thing left to do is a grill air type cover on the A/C unit  and a section of fence. Inspector comes and says the house is 95% complete, which was the number BOA said they needed it to be for them to release funds. Okay, that is done. We can see the finish line. Nope, BOA calls and says the house is 80% complete.. What? I tell them what the inspector reported and they say I can contest the report. I call the inspector and they say I am not entitled to see the report since BOA ordered it.  So this goes on for almost a month when finally the inspector calls me and says that they did put down 95%, but BOA is stuck on the house being 50% complete. They, on their own, contested BOA's finding, and BOA finally settled on 80%. Now this is a 50 page adjuster report that came in at right around 70k in damages and State Farm cut those checks without blinking an eye. My adjuster went so far as to release all the depreciated funds upfront because he saw that the place was getting done, but BOA is still hung up on two items that are not completed.  

The grill piece for the AC is back-ordered, but I am going to be honest,  I am not planning on doing this section of fence (approx $1350 in repairs) until the Spring. I mean, there is snow on the ground right now in Colorado and it is not exactly fence building time.  Plus I have to work it out with my neighbors as he has dogs and I haven't got a straight answer from the one guy how much money his insurance company gave him for the fence.

So thoughts? If 498 out of 500 items are completed on the adjuster report, how can they justify saying the house is 80% complete? What is my next step? I mean, I don't have a dog in the fight--this isn't my money. I just want to get my contractor paid and BOA is sitting on a whole bunch of money that they will not release. 

On a side note, my wife is loving having a new car. I am going to wait to buy mine (at least until hail season is over :P ).
I read back over this thread and I found this one quite ironic....my wife did love having a new car. A month after I wrote this, a third hail storm (this one packing grapefruit sized hail) hit our area. This one made the national news as it killed some of the animals at our zoo. Her new Chevy isn't new anymore--we haven't fixed it yet because of everything else going, but it is quite hail damaged.

I had same issue with BOA.  They only tied up a small amount of money of mine.  

They were balking on some downspout thing that wasn't done.  I said the adjuster was blind and took a photo of it.  I called literally every day for awhile asking for adjuster to come back out or them to release the funds, and followed up with emails daily with the contractor invoices that was above the insurance payout.  I paid extra $$ to paint the areas under the roof and touch up the window painting.  

Being super annoying helps here.  

I read back over this thread and I found this one quite ironic....my wife did love having a new car. A month after I wrote this, a third hail storm (this one packing grapefruit sized hail) hit our area. This one made the national news as it killed some of the animals at our zoo. Her new Chevy isn't new anymore--we haven't fixed it yet because of everything else going, but it is quite hail damaged.
And your house survived this?

culdeus said:
And your house survived this?
We were lucky. This one came from the south and it hit the back of the house Two of the back windows (frames) as well as the sliding glass door were damaged--these weren't damaged the first go around. Our new roof survived somehow. but most of my neighbors had to have a second roof put on and some of their cars were again beyond destroyed. There was an additional one that dropped six inches of hail that filled our downstairs window wells up with so much with hail that we had water all over in the basement. 

My family literally has PTSD from weather at this point. 

Courtjester said:
So thoughts? If 498 out of 500 items are completed on the adjuster report, how can they justify saying the house is 80% complete? What is my next step? I mean, I don't have a dog in the fight--this isn't my money. I just want to get my contractor paid and BOA is sitting on a whole bunch of money that they will not release. 
Does your local TV station have an ombudsman?  Complaing to them might generate the press you need to get the doofi to cough up the cash.  Do they think you are going to steal the house?

I know two people who have gotten new roofs for free because the roofers claimed there were a) dents from a hail storm b)Irma damage.

Maybe there was minor damage related to the two separate storm events, but both roofs were old and needed replacing anyways.

Does your local TV station have an ombudsman?  Complaing to them might generate the press you need to get the doofi to cough up the cash.  Do they think you are going to steal the house?
They do this so people don't just pocket the money and leave the house unsellable. 

Users who are viewing this thread