What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trumps youth camps (2 Viewers)

bicycle_seat_sniffer

Smells like chicken
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-mural-22-hour-lockdown-100901613.html

Trump mural, 22-hour lockdown and no MS-13: Inside overcrowded US child immigration detention centre

Hundreds of migrant children are effectively being “incarcerated” in an immigration detention centre in Texas, according a journalist given access to the facility.

Nearly 1,500 boys are crammed into overcrowded rooms and reportedly given only two hours fresh air a day at Brownsville’s Casa Padre, the largest centre of its kind in the US.

Many were forcibly separated from their families under the Trump administration’s “zero-tolerance” policy after illegally entering the country, according to MSNBC correspondent Jacob Soboroff.

SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT

AD

The number of unaccompanied migrant minors held across 100 centres has swelled to more than 11,000 in the weeks since the government launched the aggressive campaign to deter families crossing the border.

A 20-per-cent rise in children being held has brought the facilities to the brink of capacity, with the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) now looking at building tent cities at military bases to hold thousands more minors.

Mr Soboroff, one of the first reporters allowed to tour Casa Padre after the zero-tolerance policy was introduced, said most children slept five to a room in dormitories designed only for four.

The government has allowed the centre, a converted supermarket run by private firm Southwest Key, to exceed that limit because of overcrowding.

“Kids here get only two hours a day to be outside in fresh air,” Mr Soboroff said. “One hour of structured time. One hour of free time. The rest of the day is spent inside a former Walmart.”

He added: “I have been inside a federal prison and county jails. This place is called a shelter but these kids are incarcerated.

Very disturbing. As I said in the other thread, we should be educating these kids and keeping them because we have a big pyramid scheme called social security that needs more people to put into it. 

Very disturbing. As I said in the other thread, we should be educating these kids and keeping them because we have a big pyramid scheme called social security that needs more people to put into it. 
In the eyes of Trump and his minions, those are cages full of future Democratic voters.  They'd set the whole room on fire if they didn't think anyone would notice. 

This is horrible, disgusting, and a failure of our elected officials (all of them, I will adamantly refuse to allow this to be formulated in some partisan fashion).

I’ve been taught and fed stories of American legacy my whole life, been led to believe that this is exactly what makes America great and why the world turns their eyes and hopes to our doors:  her opportunities and willingness to open her arms to all and share those opportunities.

Our handling of this crisis is un-American. We are forgetting, at best, or abandoning, at worst, the ideals that I’m told are what makes us the best, one of the main sources of “American pride”.  I am not a Democrat nor Republican, neither conservative nor liberal.  I am merely a citizen who thought his country stood for and was built upon a set of ideals, but is confronted with a picture that fully runs afoul of and contradictory to that.

I do not know the answer(s), either.  But that’s another part of the American pride equation missing:  collectively, as a people, we come together and make better.  That’s missing.  

“There is also a mural of Barack Obama.”

I notice you left this out of the cut and paste  

This is a terrible situation that has been going on prior to Trump.  Did you guys care about these kids 18 months ago?
Let's stipulate for the sake of discussion this problem pre-dates Trump. Do you think Trump should address the situation and fix it or continue it?

“There is also a mural of Barack Obama.”

I notice you left this out of the cut and paste  

This is a terrible situation that has been going on prior to Trump.  Did you guys care about these kids 18 months ago?
Policy has greatly increase under the trump regime

The policy of separating detained immigrant parents from their children has been driven by attorney general Jeff Sessions, who hopes it will dissuade families from crossing the border.

“If people don’t want to be separated from their children, they should not bring them with them,” he said in an interview with conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt last week.

It doesn’t.  Sadly it speaks to the free pass the previous administration was given by the press.

I don’t like this practice. 
I agree, however that does not preclude us from being outraged about it now that we know and we should hold our politicians accountable.  This is un-American regardless of who started it.  There's currently one president who can stop it.

ETA or we can continue our outrage about athletes kneeling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to rain on your partisan blame game party.  The truth stinks sometimes.  
Im glad you said and you detest the policy as do I....the murals of a bunch of presdents are in the camps...the press report was not fair on that point........they need to paint over those immediately...awful.....the reason its being brought up now is the sessions and trump zero tolerence policy on these kids....not sure exactly what it was before under W and or obama.....

Im glad you said and you detest the policy as do I....the murals of a bunch of presdents are in the camps...the press report was not fair on that point........they need to paint over those immediately...awful.....the reason its being brought up now is the sessions and trump zero tolerence policy on these kids....not sure exactly what it was before under W and or obama.....
I got into this stuff here and again here.

The bottom line is that these have always been problematic because of the way they're operated IMO (by corporations motivated to do what's profitable instead of what's right), but are far more so now because of the new Trump administration policy of separating kids from parents- previously the facilities held only kids who were caught crossing the border unaccompanied.  That policy means:(1) some of the kids in there are going through that while also going through the more severe trauma of forced separation from their family; and (2) the facilities are far more crowded than before, which obviously makes for worse conditions. 

That said, it's also fair to ask what @knowledge dropper asked- why was there no outrage before?  There should have been, and we should demand that our government do better. We'd have done that to Obama even if problem was something that started before his administration, and we should hold this administration to the same standard.

Sessions is a POS

MikeMurphy

Editor

U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Thursday cited the Bible to defend the Trump administration’s policy of separating children from their parents caught illegally crossing the border.

“I would cite you to the Apostle Paul and his clear and wise command in Romans 13, to obey the laws of the government because God has ordained them for the purpose of order. If you cross the Southwest border unlawfully, then the Department of Homeland Security will arrest you and the Department of Justice will prosecute you. Having children does not give you immunity from arrest and prosecution.”

Jeff Sessions

Speaking about immigration in Fort Wayne, Indiana, Sessions blamed the parents for the separations.

Boy howdy, this obeying the word of God argument is delicious!   How will that application of the word get handled with the issue of abortion?  Gay rights?  On top of that, the duplicitousness of such a proclamation when adultery and cheating and fraud and abuse are big issues among elected officials attaching themselves to the God; it’s astounding they’d take this tact...and let’s not forget, the issue at heart is an administration policy, not law!

If only I believed the religious contingent would see this and react to it with the righteous indignation it deserves

Per Trump "This is all the Democrats fault because we need more votes for border security... we need more Republican votes" 

:mellow:

We don't know where most of the boys are either.  We only know about this one facility because a Senator tried to visit it and was turned away and that got the press's attention.

Anyway this is a disgrace and should be the lead story everywhere.  Even if they indict Cohen and drag Manafort to jail today.

Per Trump "This is all the Democrats fault because we need more votes for border security... we need more Republican votes" 

:mellow:
So next week the Republicans are bringing a bill to the floor which ends the separation of families, protects DACA, and funds the border wall. The whole purpose of the bill, IMO, is to force Democrats to vote against it (due to the Wall) so that they can blame the Dems. 

So next week the Republicans are bringing a bill to the floor which ends the separation of families, protects DACA, and funds the border wall. The whole purpose of the bill, IMO, is to force Democrats to vote against it (due to the Wall) so that they can blame the Dems. 
And as I was writing that, Trump just announced that he wouldn’t sign the compromise bill if it passed:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politico.com/amp/story/2018/06/15/trump-no-immigration-bill-compromise-648967

Trump just destroyed Paul Ryan’s plan and may have dealt the Republicans a Killing blow for November. 

Boy howdy, this obeying the word of God argument is delicious!   How will that application of the word get handled with the issue of abortion?  Gay rights?  On top of that, the duplicitousness of such a proclamation when adultery and cheating and fraud and abuse are big issues among elected officials attaching themselves to the God; it’s astounding they’d take this tact...and let’s not forget, the issue at heart is an administration policy, not law!

If only I believed the religious contingent would see this and react to it with the righteous indignation it deserves
It is ridiculous but please don't let the administration change the narrative.

They are LYING. Its NOT a law. Its a Trump administration policy. He can change it anytime he wants.

For what it's worth, they actually seem to be doing so. This is from the Post's daily news update:

-- Religious leaders, including on the right, are not buying the Romans 13 argument that Sessions is making.

“I think it’s disgraceful, it’s terrible to see families ripped apart and I don’t support that one bit,” the evangelist Franklin Graham, Billy’s son and a staunch Trump supporter, told the Christian Broadcasting Network. “And I blame the politicians for the last 20, 30 years that have allowed this to escalate to the point where it is today.”

The annual meeting of the Southern Baptist Convention, which Vice President Pence addressed Wednesday in Dallas, passed a resolution nearly unanimously afterward that said immigration policy should make “family unity” a “priority.” “We declare that any form of nativism, mistreatment, or exploitation is inconsistent with the gospel of Jesus Christ,” said the resolution, from the country’s biggest Protestant church.

The official Twitter account of the Migrants and Refugees Section at the Vatican tweeted out a verse from Deuteronomy yesterday:

“The Bible teaches that God ‘loves the foreigner residing among you, giving them food and clothing. And you are to love those who are foreigners, for you yourselves were foreigners in Egypt’ (Deuteronomy 10:18-19).” Pope Francis

One prominent bishop said during a Wednesday meeting of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops in Florida that Catholics who carry out Trump’s separation policy are violating the tenets of their faith and perhaps should be denied communion.

The head of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston released his own statement blasting the policy. “This strategy is morally unacceptable and denies the clear danger weighing upon those seeking our assistance,” wrote Cardinal Sean P. O’Malley. “In the year 2018, the moral challenge of immigration is mounting for the United States. On too many occasions our government has taken a posture and established policy which is in principle and in practice hostile to children and families who are fleeing violence, gangs, and poverty.” (The Boston Globe has more.)

Sessions today will travel to Scranton, Pa., to speak on immigration at Lackawanna College. Ahead of his visit, the Catholic bishop for that area sent a separate statement to the local newspaper, the Times-Tribune, that described the administration policy as an “affront to the right to life.”

“These individuals are fleeing violence and chaos in their homelands, only to face policies that are destroying their families and unduly burdening their children,” said Bishop Joseph C. Bambera.

The leaders of 26 separate Jewish groups — from the conservative, reform and reconstructionist movements — have signed a new open letter to Sessions and Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen that calls the policy of separating children from their parents “unconscionable.” It was organized by the Anti-Defamation League.

Used to love that song as a kid:

”red and yellow, black and white, get those f*ckers out my sight, Jesus loves only the American children of the world”

I have a feeling that this ends with Trump reversing the policy while also blatantly lying about its origins in order to present himself as benevolent, followed immediately by tens of millions of people falling for it.

Which is fine. He is what he is, they are what they are, the most important thing is obviously that we stop torturing children.

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 1m1 minute ago

The Democrats are forcing the breakup of families at the Border with their horrible and cruel legislative agenda. Any Immigration Bill MUST HAVE full funding for the Wall, end Catch & Release, Visa Lottery and Chain, and go to Merit Based Immigration. Go for it! WIN!

Ummm….this is beyond disgusting......I will never ever vote GOP again...not even for local PTA pres......totally that parties fault for allowing this madman to be in charge....

TobiasFunke said:
I have a feeling that this ends with Trump reversing the policy while also blatantly lying about its origins in order to present himself as benevolent, followed immediately by tens of millions of people falling for it.

Which is fine. He is what he is, they are what they are, the most important thing is obviously that we stop torturing children.
Well, we've already been here for days

lakerstan said:
We’ve got to do more than just post on internet message boards to stop this.  What can we do?  Where are the REAL leaders that will stand up to this??????
I'd be down for a road trip to Brownsville, say somewhere around July 4th, where I could express my opinion at the prison gates.

We have collectively failed as a country.

Our moral battery as a nation, depleted.  We have become bankrupt of humanity - promoting the cruel treatment of children as a tool for policy change. 

The most hypocritical among us using the bible as justification for sins against humanity. 

Welcome to America. 2018.

Are you proud?

lakerstan said:
We’ve got to do more than just post on internet message boards to stop this.  What can we do?  Where are the REAL leaders that will stand up to this??????
They're all trying to figure out if they can win reelection if they say something. 

We have collectively failed as a country.

Our moral battery as a nation, depleted.  We have become bankrupt of humanity - promoting the cruel treatment of children as a tool for policy change. 

The most hypocritical among us using the bible as justification for sins against humanity. 

Welcome to America. 2018.

Are you proud?
BENGHAZI!!!!!! derp

Disgusting images from the weekend about Trump's concentration camps. This was all too inevitable if he was elected and here we now are. A slow-moving coup with a racist leader imposing Nazi-like policies. Like Koya said, we have failed as a country. Gonna take a long time to recover from this. 

Hillary laid out in no uncertain terms how this would all happen if Trump was elected. But hey f children and babies and families cuz emails, right? 

Users who are viewing this thread