What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DEEP SLEEPER WRs (1 Viewer)

I guess it depends on your meaning of deep, but one of my true deep dynasty sleepers is Chad Williams. Lots of raw talent & there's been some buzz about him.

With Fitz in the slot & Kirk more of a slot-type guy, Williams has a chance to emerge on the outside. He may very well amount to nothing, but Williams has good upside, especially relative to his cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can they really be considered deep sleepers if they are going to get drafted in, most likely all, normal leagues?
How deep would you like to go?

Any article written on mainstream sites I assume aren't going past the top 64 WR, if that.

How deep would you like to go?

Any article written on mainstream sites I assume aren't going past the top 64 WR, if that.
On a message board like THIS, pretty deep.

I assume the people reading this message board in mid-June are a lot of dynasty folks(which tend to be deeper leagues anyway). Or like myself who play mostly re-drafts(in my case many best-ball re-drafts so the FF doesn't become a chore during the season when I actually watch football) that are DEEP. Like 30+ rounds deep. If anyone is interested in a league with DEEP rosters just message me, we are trying to start one by the end of this weekend but I find too many people are intimidate by anything deeper than the vanilla MFL10's.

This is a good topic of discussion but I would think it would start with rounds in the late teens and beyond for dynasty folks and hardcore deep sleeper nuts like myself.

None of the WRs posted in the OP are 'deep sleepers.'
It  has really got to the point where there is no such thing as a "sleeper" anymore. Sure you can name some UDFA WRs or other long shot types, but come on - is that really useful in a redraft league?

But to your point adding the word "deep" makes it even worse. Those guys are going to be on everyone's radar in the second half of drafts.

On a message board like THIS, pretty deep.

I assume the people reading this message board in mid-June are a lot of dynasty folks(which tend to be deeper leagues anyway). Or like myself who play mostly re-drafts(in my case many best-ball re-drafts so the FF doesn't become a chore during the season when I actually watch football) that are DEEP. Like 30+ rounds deep. If anyone is interested in a league with DEEP rosters just message me, we are trying to start one by the end of this weekend but I find too many people are intimidate by anything deeper than the vanilla MFL10's.

This is a good topic of discussion but I would think it would start with rounds in the late teens and beyond for dynasty folks and hardcore deep sleeper nuts like myself.
I actually agree with you here. I'm just saying that when the first thing posted is a YouTube link, my expectations sink quickly. I'm guessing the op is looking for clicks. He might have more luck if he actually went deep. Guys like taywan Taylor, Braxton berrios...

Chester Rogers WR95 on MFL right now.  Slated as WR3 for IND, but I don't see Ryan Grant as a major hurdle to overcome.  Fought through injuries last year.  If Andrew Luck is indeed going to come back, I like the upside for a free WR like this.  

Willie Snead WR100.  Was a slot target monster in NO.  Joins a team with Crabtree and nothing else at WR.  I am mystified by the lack of interest.  

Jeremy Kerley No ADP at all.  Undrafted.  Looks like the slot guy for BUF.  Has Zay Jones and Kelvin Benjamin in front of him, so could easily be the most reliable WR on a bad team, which seemed to work for Jarvis Landry.  

I guess it depends on your meaning of deep, but one of my true deep dynasty sleepers is Chad Williams. Lots of raw talent & there's been some buzz about him.

With Fitz in the slot & Kirk more of a slot-type guy, Williams has a chance to emerge on the outside. He may very well amount to nothing, but Williams has outstanding upside given his cost.
Like this a lot. He certainly looks the part. And you have like that he has a wide open lane to WR2 on that team. But as always happens, the shiny new rookie toy is getting all the attention.

I like the Snead call.  A change of scenary could jump start his career.  Same with Albert Wilson in MIA.  Early returns are that both guys are running well.  

Sanu is going way after Ridley in drafts and seems like a good end of the draft wth pick.  Ty Williams has dropped way down and LA ought to be running a ton of 3 wide sets with Henry going to IR.  Those two could put up some solid WR3 numbers.

Like this a lot. He certainly looks the part. And you have like that he has a wide open lane to WR2 on that team. But as always happens, the shiny new rookie toy is getting all the attention.
Yeah, Fitz was initially impressed with Williams as a rookie saying he reminded him of Anquan Boldin. 

I can’t remember who, but another teammate was singing his praises this offseason.

I think Williams has a legit chance to at least emerge this season.

Butler was underused in Dallas & has some upside, but he’s pretty much shown to be just a guy.

I prefer Williams with his youth & higher upside, but Butler has a chance to do something.

Butler was underused in Dallas & has some upside, but he’s pretty much shown to be just a guy.

I prefer Williams with his youth & higher upside, but Butler has a chance to do something.

Isn’t that what a sleeper is?  A player who looks like JAG and then outperforms?  For sleepers to pay off, they have to have some quality that could put them above those around them while minimizing the weaknesses that have previously held them back.  With Butler, the combination of size/speed and that QBs seem to thrive when throwing to him could get it done.

He has?

He's shown very well when he gets on the field - it's just that Dallas coaching staff prefers boring pedestrian types like Terrance Williams, Cole Beasley and Jason Witten for some reason.

Isn’t that what a sleeper is?  A player who looks like JAG and then outperforms?  For sleepers to pay off, they have to have some quality that could put them above those around them while minimizing the weaknesses that have previously held them back.  With Butler, the combination of size/speed and that QBs seem to throve when throwing to him could get it done.
I’d classify Butler as a sleeper, but it would be highly unusual for him to make an impact at this stage of his career & being 28 years old.

That’s essentially why I prefer Williams along with his youth, more headroom, & a higher upside.

He has?

He's shown very well when he gets on the field - it's just that Dallas coaching staff prefers boring pedestrian types like Terrance Williams, Cole Beasley and Jason Witten for some reason.
I definitely agree Butler was underused in Dallas, but this is his 6th year & you can’t discount that. It’s a pretty big factor, IMO.

Butler made some plays in week 17 when Philly was resting their starters, but I maintain he’s been just a guy for the most part.

I definitely agree Butler was underused in Dallas, but this is his 6th year & you can’t discount that. It’s a pretty big factor, IMO.

Butler made some plays in week 17when Philly was resting their starters, but I maintain he’s been just a guy for the most part.
The fact that a 7th round NFL draft pick is heading into his 6th NFL season is pretty impressive. He was raw and buried in Oakland and then saddled with an inept offensive system that hates playmakers.

Obviously there is no guarantee that he succeeds - but he's a good sleeper in that he has talent and may finally get opportunity. He was one of the first free agents the Cards signed and the competition outside of Fitz isn't very steep there.

The fact that a 7th round NFL draft pick is heading into his 6th NFL season is pretty impressive. He was raw and buried in Oakland and then saddled with an inept offensive system that hates playmakers.

Obviously there is no guarantee that he succeeds - but he's a good sleeper in that he has talent and may finally get opportunity. He was one of the first free agents the Cards signed and the competition outside of Fitz isn't very steep there.
Don’t get me wrong, Butler is a legit sleeper, but I believe it would be a mistake to expect anything more than a bottom of your roster-type guy. That’s his ceiling, IMO, especially long-term.

Williams isn’t as proven as Butler (obviously), but has a much higher upside. In general, I’ll go with the Williams types over the Butler types every time, especially in dynasty leagues.

Cody Latimer - WR - Giants

Ourlads has him pegged opposite of OBJ with Shepard in the slot. He will definitely be the lowest priority for defences. The Giants were 3rd in passes per game last year. Shurmer did well with Case Keenum last year. Latimer is still young enough (25) that he would be on the incline of his career and was a 2nd round pick. 

I like Kendrick Bourne in SF and Ryan Switzer in OAK as what the heck picks to fill out a roster.

I like Ryan Grant over Chester Rodgers but would roster either if free.
I'm surprised Kendrick Bourne hasn't gotten more attention.  He started to click well with Jimmy G  at the end of the season and has been working with him in the offseason.  He is my top WR sleeper right now.  

I'll add UDFA Robert Foster in Buffalo.  Has been looking good so far in camp and was a top recruit to Alabama out of high school.  Just never put it all together in college, but the talent and opportunity are there.

I like Butler and Wilson a lot in this category.

I also like Danny Amendola if he qualifies.

Some WR's I've not seen mentioned:

Ryan Switzer- Martavis likey suspension should help and heard he's been killing it out of the slot. Main issue I see with him is Jordy and Amari were also both better out of the slot last year.

Chad Hansen- A lot of WR's on Jets. Read crazy stat yesterday. Only one team in the NFL has 4 WR's who have surpassed 800 yards season in a year. The Jets. It's more crowded then people might think but a lot of health and off the field issues for a few of their WR's and Hansen has been performing well this offseason and is reportedly bigger, stronger and playing faster.

Braxton Berrios-I think he is nursing an injury and has been working with rehab group this off-season, so not creating any buzz. But with Edelman's likely 4 game suspension he's got a chance to show what he can offer and make him possibly an early season fill in for Edelman and show enough in those 4 games he's worthy of holding onto in dynasty.

I like the Snead call.  A change of scenary could jump start his career.  Same with Albert Wilson in MIA.  Early returns are that both guys are running well.  
It seems like Snead is always a sleeper, but what happened last year? He almost had more games played than receptions. Door was wide open for him but he didn't do anything. Was he injured? I don't remember, he just disappeared.

Ourlads has him pegged opposite of OBJ with Shepard in the slot. He will definitely be the lowest priority for defences. The Giants were 3rd in passes per game last year. Shurmer did well with Case Keenum last year. Latimer is still young enough (25) that he would be on the incline of his career and was a 2nd round pick. 
This is the sleepiest of sleeps. Didn't even know he was still knocking around the league.

He has?

I wonder why they might prefer a HOF TE...

WR - Cody Latimer

With Odell Beckham Jr. sidelined during the Giants' voluntary minicamp last month, it was Cody Latimer who lined up on the outside with Sterling Shepard in the slot, and Latimer has consistently been turning heads since. 

Primarily a special teams ace with the Denver Broncos, Latimer has made the most of his run with the first-team offense as Beckham continues to work on the side while rehabbing with the training staff. 

"They had me running with the ones all week," Latimer told NJ Advance Media recently. "And that's been a blessing. But, it's a competition out here. We're out there competing for a spot. Hopefully, I stay where I'm at right now, but I've got to keep working."
Head-turner! We got a head-turner, here, people!

I wonder why they might prefer a HOF TE...
I'm talking about Witten of the last two years (while Butler was there) - and I'm not saying that all of Witten's targets should have gone to Butler. I was just making the point that the offense featured players that lacked any semblance of playmaking ability - basically catch and fall down players.

I can't imagine you actually thought that I was comparing Witten's career to Butler's?

It seems like Snead is always a sleeper, but what happened last year? He almost had more games played than receptions. Door was wide open for him but he didn't do anything. Was he injured? I don't remember, he just disappeared.
Suspension (substance abuse) then injury.  Sure seems like he fell out of favor.  

Saints signed Meredith, and that didn't match Ravens offer.  

We don't know what went on behind the scenes in NO, But he has been worthy of a lot of targets before, and I don't see another slot guy in BAL.  

I'm talking about Witten of the last two years (while Butler was there) - and I'm not saying that all of Witten's targets should have gone to Butler. I was just making the point that the offense featured players that lacked any semblance of playmaking ability - basically catch and fall down players.

I can't imagine you actually thought that I was comparing Witten's career to Butler's?
Career, no. But even as Witten was not the player he once was, he was still someone the coach felt comfortable with and more of a complete player than Butler will ever be. I don't disagree that there was room for him to get targets if he showed he was deserving.

Career, no. But even as Witten was not the player he once was, he was still someone the coach felt comfortable with and more of a complete player than Butler will ever be. I don't disagree that there was room for him to get targets if he showed he was deserving.
I want to make it as clear as possible. I was NOT advocating for Butler to take Witten's targets. You are missing the context of what I was saying.

I like the Switzer and Bourne calls. I also seem to have either Chris Moore or Jaleel Scott on a couple of my teams. baltimores WR roles are wide open behind Crabtree so if brown can't stay healthy and Snead just doesn't look good then I could see one of those other guys getting the chance to show something

Greg Little
Got a nice laugh there, thanks.

Anyway here are a couple I've been monitoring 

Josh Reynolds - He flashed last year a little bit and there were lots of mouths to feed, now Sammy and Austin are gone, less competition (although bringing in Cooks) and only 2nd year in high powered offense.  More of a dynasty stash, less of sleeper appeal for him to be relevant I'd say.  

John Brown - Not sure of his ADP but he seems to be pretty forgotten.  Someone mentioned Snead, so I figure JB would be a good add to the thread as well.  Crabtree doesn't do much for me in terms of competition and there is literally nobody else other than Alex Collins?  Yeah I'll take that shot.

Cedric Wilson - I love me some Gallup but that WR core is bare and anyone could become relevant.  Rookie but pretty raw, but if there's playing time to be had, give me the free option.  

Chris Conley - I've owner him for years and everyone around him keeps breaking out or bringing in others to be the guy.  He's a forever on my team guy and it's only year 4 after a bad achilles tear last year, but he was improving every year before that happened.

Bonus Name:

Austin Carr - Was a pre-season darling last year and got waived by the Pats and claimed by the Saints but he flashed a lot really early in his career, although he's pretty buried on the depth chart with Ginn, Meredith, Thomas and the drafting of Tre'Quan.  

I'm intrigued by John Brown as well. Flacco can fire out some long, high bombs with the best of them, and Brown seems to be pretty good at running under those.

Borden said:

And sharing touches with that shiny new RB and a play making TE?   Option 5 at best, no?

And sharing touches with that shiny new RB and a play making TE?   Option 5 at best, no?
If everyone stays healthy, you’re not wrong, but i would imagine the vast majority of deep sleepers who hit big take advantage of some injuries ahead of them and are not the result of simply overtaking the entirety of the fully healthy depth chart.

I try to separate players dependent on one specific injury from players who could see an increase (and may have the talent to maximize those touches) if ANYONE significant misses time, and target the latter anytime they’re completely free (as latimer should be; I wouldn’t suggest you pay anything significant for him).

Noah Brown, DAL WR

Standing at 6’2” 222 pounds, Brown uses his size well in all aspects of his game. From being one of the best run-blocking wide receivers in the game to boxing out opposing cornerbacks in the short areas of the field, Brown is every bit of his size and knows how to use it. He high-points the ball very well and is an excellent red zone threat. Brown is a savvy route runner who knows how to create separation at the top of his routes. He shows a good feel for sitting down in zone coverage and is comfortable playing across the middle. He fights through press coverage at the line of scrimmage using his strong hands and thick frame.  His big-play ability flashes across all areas of the field, despite not having burner-like speed.

At the least, Brown will excel in the run-blocking game, which will consistently earn him reps throughout the 2018 season and beyond. In the passing game, look for him to excel in the red zone and be Prescott ’s first target, now that Bryant and Witten are a thing of the past.

https://www.dynastytradecalculator.com/the-noah-brown-chronicles/

If everyone stays healthy, you’re not wrong, but i would imagine the vast majority of deep sleepers who hit big take advantage of some injuries ahead of them and are not the result of simply overtaking the entirety of the fully healthy depth chart.

I try to separate players dependent on one specific injury from players who could see an increase (and may have the talent to maximize those touches) if ANYONE significant misses time, and target the latter anytime they’re completely free (as latimer should be; I wouldn’t suggest you pay anything significant for him).
Two guys I'm targeting later in the draft are Chris Godwin and Taywan Taylor.  Both were 3rd round picks so they're not off people's radar but they did go to less than ideal situations/offenses which may cause them to be overlooked some.

DropKick said:
Two guys I'm targeting later in the draft are Chris Godwin and Taywan Taylor.  Both were 3rd round picks so they're not off people's radar but they did go to less than ideal situations/offenses which may cause them to be overlooked some.
Yeah obviously it’s a different investment level but I like both those guys a lot (especially Godwin).

I tend to trade most of my picks so I end up rostering more post-hype guys like latimer though.

Users who are viewing this thread