What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Since Joe blowed things up (1 Viewer)

Hate to say it......

It's over, folks.  This place has the feel of a once very popular bar with regulars who made it great, but started leaving when new corporate owners took over and started making changes.  Still the same bar, still the same location, decor similar...but the atmosphere is gone.  Corporate owners serve different masters and it isn't the patrons that helped make it what it once was.  

I'm finding less and less to read here or reasons to post and I've been a message board nerd here since 2000ish.  I just don't care anymore.  It's so bland.  The creativity is gone.  The camaraderie has been replaced by political lines and back biting.  The ability to be funny and work in the PG13 blue has been nerfed.   It's sterile and no longer a must stop for me.

Sad to say....i loved this place, but the party is over. 

Hate to say it......

It's over, folks.  This place has the feel of a once very popular bar with regulars who made it great, but started leaving when new corporate owners took over and started making changes.  Still the same bar, still the same location, decor similar...but the atmosphere is gone.  Corporate owners serve different masters and it isn't the patrons that helped make it what it once was.  

I'm finding less and less to read here or reasons to post and I've been a message board nerd here since 2000ish.  I just don't care anymore.  It's so bland.  The creativity is gone.  The camaraderie has been replaced by political lines and back biting.  The ability to be funny and work in the PG13 blue has been nerfed.   It's sterile and no longer a must stop for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGytDsqkQY8

Hate to say it......

Sadly I agree with you. I lurk less often. Used to have FOMO and never miss a day here. Now I miss 3 days and no big deal. Bummer

Hate to say it......

See you tomorrow!

Hate to say it......

I’m starting to feel this way too, sadly. There are no more epic threads and no more funny shtick. It’s all become really bland and vanilla. I don’t know if it’s due to all the moderating changes—who knows, maybe the timing is just coincidence—or whether the older posters are moving on with other priorities for their time and younger people just don’t join forums anymore. But whatever the cause, the effect is a different board that I’m just a whole lot less interested in. 

:shrug:  

Hate to say it......

I think you nailed it here

I think you nailed it here
There’s also the part about us all being 15 years older. I don’t go to the same bars or do many of the same things I did in 2000, so it’s no surprise to me that I’m less interested in ffa message board discussions. 
Agree!

The board "population" is getting older.. I use to spend WAY too much time posting and commenting here.

I still visit many times a day, but don't post/comment even close to 50% of what I once did. Guessing some here are glad things changed ;)

I do wonder if some of that has to do with the ability to just "Like" a post.. The "old" way required at least a Emoticon posting which lead to commenting.
Now, you can just browse, like, and move onto the next post.

There’s also the part about us all being 15 years older. I don’t go to the same bars or do many of the same things I did in 2000, so it’s no surprise to me that I’m less interested in ffa message board discussions. 
You guys are still free to discuss unruly children, prunes, backdoor ROTH conversions, best type of ED medication, etc.

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m starting to feel this way too, sadly. There are no more epic threads and no more funny shtick. It’s all become really bland and vanilla. I don’t know if it’s due to all the moderating changes—who knows, maybe the timing is just coincidence—or whether the older posters are moving on with other priorities for their time and younger people just don’t join forums anymore. But whatever the cause, the effect is a different board that I’m just a whole lot less interested in. 

Yep.  The weird thing is that many of us have been here 15 years or so.  So it's not like we all of a sudden changed.  I think GM hit the nail right on the head.

I wonder how much has to do with the evolution and popularity of social media and the internet in general. When I joined, there was no Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Tinder etc. Maybe there was MySpace, but I did most of my online interactions here and FFT. 

There’s just much more to do online. And then there’s also the rise up of Tim. 

I do look forward to the daily threads about how much the FFA sucks from people that have been here 15+ years which will swell into several pages with responses from people that have been here 15+ years who say they don't comment as often who they, themselves, will start the very same thread of their own the following day. . . so we've got that going for us. :)  

I don't know...the FFA front page this morning has:

• A thread about a guy serving his foot to his friends
  • A thread about hooking up at bachelor's parties
  • A thread having something to do with step-siblings dating or watching movies or something
Plus old stalwarts like GM and Fred threads.

Seems like the same old, same old...

This.

Though I figured it was more me and the age of the posters than whatever rule changes.

Most of my internet time is spent on the Facebook Dental forums now that I have an online dental column and podcast, plus since marriage and kids it's not like I have any epic boozing and womanizing stories to share.  

I'm a boring middle-aged white dude with 2 kids, a dad-bod, a wife, and an overpriced suburban home.

Yep.  The weird thing is that many of us have been here 15 years or so.  So it's not like we all of a sudden changed.  I think GM hit the nail right on the head.
No, we've just aged gradually over time. 15 years ago I could have posted a thread about what happened when my friends and I got hammered prior to a 1 PM spring training game, went in, got seated behind like 7 hot ASU girls, proceeded to get them hammered to the extent a couple :X  the seafood buffet they'd eaten for breakfast right in the bleachers, yada yada yada. Now I can tell you about the great rain gutter replacement job we got done this week, or how I'm seemingly unable to sleep past 7:15 AM no matter how constantly tired I am.

We're just not as entertaining as we used to be, and the youngsters have other places to communicate besides 90's style message boards.

The "new" moderation changes over the last few years have definitely made this place less fun to check out. And certainly the board "upgrade" has led to visiting this site less and made engagement worse. It's just more difficult to participate. I don't want to lay all the blame on Joe, but, I have to feel every decision he's made in the last 5 years has been wrong. Maybe that's by design, I don't know.
Really the only thing that makes sense, to me, is that Joe does not want the forums anymore.  Maybe they are simply more trouble than they are worth.

The "new" moderation changes over the last few years have definitely made this place less fun to check out. And certainly the board "upgrade" has led to visiting this site less and made engagement worse. It's just more difficult to participate. I don't want to lay all the blame on Joe, but, I have to feel every decision he's made in the last 5 years has been wrong. Maybe that's by design, I don't know.
:lmao:

Hate to say it......

Makes me very sad. Significant part of my life for many years. 

No, we've just aged gradually over time. 15 years ago I could have posted a thread about what happened when my friends and I got hammered prior to a 1 PM spring training game, went in, got seated behind like 7 hot ASU girls, proceeded to get them hammered to the extent a couple :X  the seafood buffet they'd eaten for breakfast right in the bleachers, yada yada yada. Now I can tell you about the great rain gutter replacement job we got done this week, or how I'm seemingly unable to sleep past 7:15 AM no matter how constantly tired I am.

We're just not as entertaining as we used to be, and the youngsters have other places to communicate besides 90's style message boards.
Plays a role as well. Used to love some of the best old threads on here. @Otis had many great ones. Now he's just pathetic, along the rest of you losers. The online poker days were great, too. 

Plays a role as well. Used to love some of the best old threads on here. @Otis had many great ones. Now he's just pathetic, along the rest of you losers. The online poker days were great, too. 
Sick Boy: It's certainly a phenomenon in all walks of life.

Renton: What do you mean?

Sick Boy: Well, at one time, you've got it, and then you lose it, and it's gone forever. All walks of life: George Best, for example. Had it, lost it. Or David Bowie, or Lou Reed.

Renton: Lou Reed, some of his solo stuff's not bad.

Sick Boy: No, it's not bad. But it's not great either, is it? And in your heart you kind of know that although it sounds all right, it's actually just...####e.

Renton: So who else?

Sick Boy: Charlie Nicholas, David Niven, Malcolm McLaren, Elvis Presley...

Renton: OK, OK, so what's the point you're trying to make?

Sick Boy: All I'm trying to do, Mark, is help you understand that The Name of the Rose is merely a blip on an otherwise uninterrupted downward trajectory.

Renton: What about The Untouchables?

Sick Boy: I don't rate that at all.

Renton: Despite the Academy Award?

Sick Boy: That means #### all. It's a sympathy vote.

Renton: Right. So we all get old and then we can't hack it anymore. Is that it?

Sick Boy: Yeah.

Renton: That's your theory?

Sick Boy: Yeah. Beautifully ####### illustrated.
Trainspotting

Really the only thing that makes sense, to me, is that Joe does not want the forums anymore.  Maybe they are simply more trouble than they are worth.
Joe has put a huge amount of time and thought into the forums the last month and continues to do so

It's a busy time and there's lots he could be doing but he's invested a ton here

If Joe and David wanted them shut that'd be a super easy thing to do. It hasn't been done

Joe has put a huge amount of time and thought into the forums the last month and continues to do so

It's a busy time and there's lots he could be doing but he's invested a ton here

If Joe and David wanted them shut that'd be a super easy thing to do. It hasn't been done
I guess if Simon sez...

But, lets just say I disagree that a lot of time and thought have really gone into many of these things...

Any "time and thought" put into attracting new members?

It's still a good board but people are going to leave or visit less often.   There isn't as much funny or interesting stuff going on here due to the new regulations.   It's Joes decision but more regulation wasn't going to have a positive impact.  I'm sure he knew that.    

Any "time and thought" put into attracting new members?
NFL viewership is down.

Fantasy Football participation is way down.

I'm sure if you have any suggestions they'd love to hear them.

It wasnt broke.

It didnt need fixing.
Opinions differ on that; that much is clear! I don't want to get into that as I think the back and forth on it has played out already.

But I wanted you guys to know that this is something where I have seen Joe and David spend a very large amount of time thinking and talking about, and the intentions are only good.

Users who are viewing this thread