What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Since Joe blowed things up (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant said:
In my opinion, this forum has always been oftentimes much better than google.
Google hasn't changed the rules part way through the game.  Their hits keep climbing...  Sure you're "much better than google".  Sorry Joe,  I'm sure you believe you are doing the right thing.  But I just glanced at who's online here and it has to be 1/3rd what it normally was?   I'm sure that you have the numbers.  Please share with us.  Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Google hasn't changed the rules part way through the game.  Their hits keep climbing...  Sure you're "much better than google".  Sorry Joe,  I'm sure you believe you are doing the right thing.  But I just glanced at who's online here and it has to be 1/3rd what it normally was?   I'm sure that you have the numbers.  Please share with us.  Inquiring minds want to know.
I don't have specific numbers to share and we haven't run the data on the FFA in a bit. We recently ran some for the Shark Pool and it was 80,000+ views to Page 1 of the Shark Pool for April and May which is a slow time of the year for the Shark Pool. And of course the FFA is way more active than the Shark Pool. That's as detailed as I will be there. Those numbers are of course small time compared to big sites but this is our little corner and it works for us. Hope that helps some.

Aerial Assault said:
Hey, you got a special box outline and a heart or something for that post!  Some heretofore undisclosed new bored innovation, no doubt  :thumbup:
Not new.  I think once a post hits 50 likes.

Aerial Assault said:
Oh, and as for millennials or whoever not joining, they'll soon discover that message boards are more fun than social media in some ways, and will start getting all into message boards, some for the quality, some for the trendy "vintage" appeal.  So don't worry about that in the slightest.  But will the FFA be a boring ghost town before they show up?  :shrug:
Newsflash, they won't be joining this one.  They'll be joining whatever ones all the other millennials are doing.

flapgreen said:
No one to take the place of the great posters who have gotten older and have no more great stories to tell.  I have no idea what someone in their mid 20s does now. They used to join online magic football forums, so I know they're not doing something as cool as that.  Wherever it goes on here down the road, I can't imagine there has been many places like the FFA in internet history. I didn't bother explaining to my buddies in the real world how I spent a lot of time on a fantasy football forum.  Wouldn't get it. 
I'm still trying, damn it. 

The board is following the same trend as FF.  We used to have no problem filling four 16 team spring survivor leagues, this year we filled one.  The best hope for this place is dfs getting back on a roll or this site morphing into gambling advice if most states open that up.

Newsflash, they won't be joining this one.  They'll be joining whatever ones all the other millennials are doing.
It's almost as though my point, most clearly implied in the final "will this be a ghost town" sentence, was that TPTB around here can adjust marketing strategies now to tailor things to the oncoming young people's likely needs and wants.  

Hate to say it......

It's over, folks.  This place has the feel of a once very popular bar with regulars who made it great, but started leaving when new corporate owners took over and started making changes.  Still the same bar, still the same location, decor similar...but the atmosphere is gone.  Corporate owners serve different masters and it isn't the patrons that helped make it what it once was.  

I'm finding less and less to read here or reasons to post and I've been a message board nerd here since 2000ish.  I just don't care anymore.  It's so bland.  The creativity is gone.  The camaraderie has been replaced by political lines and back biting.  The ability to be funny and work in the PG13 blue has been nerfed.   It's sterile and no longer a must stop for me.

Sad to say....i loved this place, but the party is over. 
Feels weird quoting myself, but I've had some time to think about this post over the weekend and I feel pretty bad about what I wrote.  I don't think this was very fair to Joe and the FBG staff.  It was spiteful.  I think other posters here like Stryker said it much better and more accurately than I did by stating that what's really changed is us.  We're older.  We're busier.  We've got more options for entertainment, be it social media or smart phones.  We have kids.  Some of us too many kids.  And we've been around for nearly 20 years now, so really, what topics of conversation are left for us to discuss?  

Changing board policy to get rid of "Whose (or is it 'Who's) Hottest" threads was inevitable and while that change wasn't popular with all, it had to be made.  Perhaps the pendulum swung a little too far, but that's the way the cookie had to crumble and I get it.  I don't think that's the singular reason why the FFA is different today and it wasn't fair of me to use that as a reason in my post above.  

So perhaps instead of me saying "It's over, folks" I should have said that "it's over for me".  Much of the activity is now in the Politics Forum and I just don't find that to be very interesting.  I honestly find it exhausting.  But it's where many of the active posters are and that's okay.  It's just not for me.  And I should have said that, not gone off on some rant accusing the site's owners of being corporate shills.  So for that, I am sorry.  It's probably too little too late, but I wish I hadn't been so harsh and I wish I had taken more personal accountability.

Feels weird quoting myself, but I've had some time to think about this post over the weekend and I feel pretty bad about what I wrote.  I don't think this was very fair to Joe and the FBG staff.  It was spiteful.  I think other posters here like Stryker said it much better and more accurately than I did by stating that what's really changed is us.  We're older.  We're busier.  We've got more options for entertainment, be it social media or smart phones.  We have kids.  Some of us too many kids.  And we've been around for nearly 20 years now, so really, what topics of conversation are left for us to discuss?  

Changing board policy to get rid of "Whose (or is it 'Who's) Hottest" threads was inevitable and while that change wasn't popular with all, it had to be made.  Perhaps the pendulum swung a little too far, but that's the way the cookie had to crumble and I get it.  I don't think that's the singular reason why the FFA is different today and it wasn't fair of me to use that as a reason in my post above.  

So perhaps instead of me saying "It's over, folks" I should have said that "it's over for me".  Much of the activity is now in the Politics Forum and I just don't find that to be very interesting.  I honestly find it exhausting.  But it's where many of the active posters are and that's okay.  It's just not for me.  And I should have said that, not gone off on some rant accusing the site's owners of being corporate shills.  So for that, I am sorry.  It's probably too little too late, but I wish I hadn't been so harsh and I wish I had taken more personal accountability.
Did you say cookie?

:lol:  Your original post was fine.  In fact I was hoping it might get someone's attention.  So sure, now walk it back.  ;)

Not sure if you were serious or just being a goof, but many other forums have IM functionality and adding it here is actually an excellent idea.  
It's kind of funny that you guys are talking about integrating IM and Snapchat...we can't even post pics here. :mellow:

Thanks GM. I agree with you on the Who’s Hottest thing. Outside of that and moving the political forum, there hasn’t been any change in the FFA. I think most people are good with the Political Forum separate. I know some didn’t like eliminating the Who’s Hottest but I’m with you that it was the right thing. 

Thanks GM. I agree with you on the Who’s Hottest thing. Outside of that and moving the political forum, there hasn’t been any change in the FFA. I think most people are good with the Political Forum separate. I know some didn’t like eliminating the Who’s Hottest but I’m with you that it was the right thing. 
I think people are more upset by the yoga pants and other similar threads that quietly went away too even though they were not of the objectifying women type like Whose Hottest threads were. If it was just The Who’s Hottest threads, the uproar would’ve died a long time ago. 

I think people are more upset by the yoga pants and other similar threads that quietly went away too even though they were not of the objectifying women type like Whose Hottest threads were. If it was just The Who’s Hottest threads, the uproar would’ve died a long time ago. 

We're old and boring. Our wives aren't disappearing in campground bathrooms with guys they've been flirting with all night as often as they used to. 

I left my main FFB league a couple years ago. I'd been in it since 2000. Hell, I was the defending champ. When we started all we talked about was football and women. By the end we talked about landscaping and 401K's. We used to spend the day drinking at our draft. At the end, the draft started at 9 a.m. and was done a little after lunch and practically nobody had a beer. 

I took about an 8 year hiatus from this board. Not because it sucked then. Because I was wasting too much time here. I used that time to start a business that spawned a second small company. Ironically, it's those two companies that I have returned. I still have a day job, but if I were to work on my two companies here at the office (something I was able to do at my last three jobs), I wouldn't be in this job for long. Needing something to do between fires to put out in the data center, I came back here. In the year or so I've been back, I haven't gotten into a single pissing match about some trifling issue. Before I left, that happened almost daily. So glad I figured that #### out before this rise in ultra polarizing arguing on forums and social media. I really don't need that in my life. 

My time here will be at an end some day when the two side gigs allow me to leave the day job as I pretty much only come here on the days I'm in the office (Tuesday-Friday), but it has more to do with me than the board changes or the aging population here. I will say, the banning of the who's hottest threads and the like will make that happen sooner rather than later. It was a fun diversion. I come here for fun diversions, not for more rules. And seeing as there are less and less Man in the Yellow Hat Bathroom stories on top of the complete elimination of talking about the hotness of women coupled with the lack of fresh blood in here, well... The writing on the wall is not good. I hate to see it happen.

If you've seen the movie Cars, this place reminds me of Radiator Springs and the new highway is social media. 

Anyone want to discuss landscaping or investment strategies?

I don’t think most of the active posters are in the politics forum at all. To be honest, most of the ones I want to avoid are there. It’s so perfect. 
Probably the best thing that was ever done around here. Keeps most of the total nutcases on their own floor. Based on my knowledge of local hospitals, that would be the top floor. So they always have that going for them. 

I don’t think most of the active posters are in the politics forum at all. To be honest, most of the ones I want to avoid are there. It’s so perfect. 
Which I hope is not the same thing as saying "I want to avoid most of the people who post in there." 

But if so, I apologize for not meeting expectations.

We're old and boring. Our wives aren't disappearing in campground bathrooms with guys they've been flirting with all night as often as they used to. 

I left my main FFB league a couple years ago. I'd been in it since 2000. Hell, I was the defending champ. When we started all we talked about was football and women. By the end we talked about landscaping and 401K's. We used to spend the day drinking at our draft. At the end, the draft started at 9 a.m. and was done a little after lunch and practically nobody had a beer. 

I took about an 8 year hiatus from this board. Not because it sucked then. Because I was wasting too much time here. I used that time to start a business that spawned a second small company. Ironically, it's those two companies that I have returned. I still have a day job, but if I were to work on my two companies here at the office (something I was able to do at my last three jobs), I wouldn't be in this job for long. Needing something to do between fires to put out in the data center, I came back here. In the year or so I've been back, I haven't gotten into a single pissing match about some trifling issue. Before I left, that happened almost daily. So glad I figured that #### out before this rise in ultra polarizing arguing on forums and social media. I really don't need that in my life. 

My time here will be at an end some day when the two side gigs allow me to leave the day job as I pretty much only come here on the days I'm in the office (Tuesday-Friday), but it has more to do with me than the board changes or the aging population here. I will say, the banning of the who's hottest threads and the like will make that happen sooner rather than later. It was a fun diversion. I come here for fun diversions, not for more rules. And seeing as there are less and less Man in the Yellow Hat Bathroom stories on top of the complete elimination of talking about the hotness of women coupled with the lack of fresh blood in here, well... The writing on the wall is not good. I hate to see it happen.

If you've seen the movie Cars, this place reminds me of Radiator Springs and the new highway is social media. 

Anyone want to discuss landscaping or investment strategies?
Your posts on FB are mean.  :wub:   I see them in the middle of the day, and they make me starve and drool on whatever device I am looking at.

I’ve mostly been an SP FBG, but this thread caught my attention.  And I think what it comes down to is this.

It’s not just that we’ve changed.  The world has changed with it.  Now in my mid-40’s it’s actually been a revelation to discover I am no longer in the age demographic that’s considered the worlds ‘target market’.  When I joined FBG, I was still relatively early in my career and was just married.  I’m established in life now - have a great career, make good money.  My kids are in high school.  Some years, I interacted with the board more than others...but it’s always been a place I’ve come back to in whatever form it was in.

I have realized that FBG has been a part of what amounts to most of my adult life.  There is a certain melancholy that comes with realizing that what once seemed new and fresh once upon a time, a way to interact with people who had the same interest as you, now feels dated, antiquated to an extent.  But I’m also heading in that direction, if I’m not already there.

There is a nostalgia I feel now when I come here.  It’s been that way for a couple of years now.  Part of it is because I think my FF playing days are numbered.  I doubt I’ll be playing in 5-7 years.  Not necessarily by choice, but I think I’ll see some league mates ‘retire’ and the energy/desire to 1) find new owners or 2) join an unfamiliar league won’t be there.

For me, the thread of FF is the constant.  The guys I play with have also made their way in the world; in their careers and with their families.  Some have done real well, and others not as much.  Interactions that used to be frequent have become less so across the entire group, but every August this ‘thing’ brings us back together - at least for the time being.  It’s tradition now, and FBG has been a part of that journey for me for going on 20 years.  And that’s earned my loyalty.

Since I started this I'll check in a few times a week.  Pitiful how few people are on here anymore.  Sorry that you blow'ed things up Joe.  Not for you because you got to make the decision.  But for all of us that made this site our home and you successful

Since I started this I'll check in a few times a week.  Pitiful how few people are on here anymore.  Sorry that you blow'ed things up Joe.  Not for you because you got to make the decision.  But for all of us that made this site our home and you successful

The change here has less to do with Joe and more to do with changing demographics. 

Sure, it would be cool if Joe allowed yoga pants threads and who's hottest threads but those only made up a small percentage of the total interactions on any given day. 

I doubt many people left because of the attempts to PG/PC the place. 

People get busy with other areas of their lives and the internet forum takes a back seat. Like the neighborhood bar people come and go as life "gets in the way" but they usually stop back in to see how everyone is doing once in a while or if their life takes a major left turn they may become a regular again. 

And let's face it, as we all get older our daily routines and interactions are less "exciting" than they were 10-20 years ago. There is not a younger generation signing up to post on any internet forum, so the topics of yesterday are left with yesterday. 

Doesn't mean there can't be interesting and meaningful discussions with the current team.

I have too bad of a rep here due to my PSF postings, so I won't start this thread, but a thread idea someone else could start that would be cool is:

You're an old man, on a park bench -- Teach me what is. 

Suppose I am some boy. 

You're sitting on a park bench drinking coffee from your thermos. It's 7 am. And I walk up to you.

I say, "I'm sorry to bother you but I wonder if you can show me the way." You ask me where I'm going and I reply, "I have no idea." You reply with, "Well, what are you looking for son?" And I say, "Wisdom from someone who has more scars than I." 

You tell me to take seat but I can't, I have to catch that train coming over the bend. This train was planning to take me to nowhere. But after talking to you, I hope this train takes me to somewhere.

On my journey to nowhere but hopefully somewhere, I have nothing but time to think about your words. So I ask you: 

Give me one and only one of each of the following:

One song.
One poem.
One art piece
One movie.
One parable, allegory, text, or fable

to teach me your wisdom about life, death, love, hope, pain, or whatever else you feel is relevant. Your job is not to teach me what to do or how to live a better life. Your job is simply to teach me what is. 

There's more, You are not allowed to tell me what wisdom or lessons that these things will teach me. I have to figure that out on my own. I only want you to show me the door and let me walk though it to discover my own meaning in the poem, art, song, and allegory that you gave me.

Can you give me something real?

(yes, I stole this from somewhere else)

Demographics be damned.  There were a lot more people on here before Joe dropped the hammer.  A lot less after he dropped the hammer. Joe created this and he blowed it up.  Shame as everyone who posted helped make this sight what it once was, and I have no doubt it would still be popular with us older types if he'd left things alone. 

Demographics be damned.  There were a lot more people on here before Joe dropped the hammer.  A lot less after he dropped the hammer. Joe created this and he blowed it up.  Shame as everyone who posted helped make this sight what it once was, and I have no doubt it would still be popular with us older types if he'd left things alone. 
The Demographic is 99 percent male.   

I don't have specific numbers to share and we haven't run the data on the FFA in a bit. We recently ran some for the Shark Pool and it was 80,000+ views to Page 1 of the Shark Pool for April and May which is a slow time of the year for the Shark Pool. And of course the FFA is way more active than the Shark Pool. That's as detailed as I will be there. Those numbers are of course small time compared to big sites but this is our little corner and it works for us. Hope that helps some.
I am rarely online but this and msn are the only places I check. sooooo... I still find this place enlightening.  Tx!  😎

I don't come around the ffa a lot anymore. Get banned for any little joke now.  Not what I once loved about it. It's just not enjoyable going somewhere knowing you could get banned for any small thing. Hate that it's like that now but life goes on.  So will I 

Users who are viewing this thread