What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Car Guy Thread (1 Viewer)

NeverEnough

Footballguy
I can't be the only car guy here. I just picked up another toy...2018 Charger Hellcat. It will be my daily driver, but replaces the HP void my modded C6 Z06 left when I sold it. Keeping my supercharged M Edition Miata for now as well. It's a blast to drive. One extreme to the other now. :D

No go fast mods planned, but already have appearance crap on order. Might pick up some extra rears with DRs just to hit the track to see what she does.

My Mazdaspeed6 &, now former daily driver, 2017 Jetta are for sale if anyone is in the market. I'm in PA.

Tell us about your toys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Standard or auto?

I like shifting. ... although that is some pretty stupit horsepower to try and manage with a clutch.

I assume there is some traction control to make it more drivable...  that you can turn off for the track?

How's the ride? Probably a bit smoother than the C6 anyway ... or is that adjustable too?

Huge car nut.

DD is a ‘12 supercharged Audi A6 Quattro.  Fun weekend car is a 96 911 (993) with a decent amount of mods.  Have owned a 98 fully built mustang (endless mod list) and a nice pro touring 66 chevelle with a 427 big block.  Really hoping to pick up a 16/17 GT350 in the coming year.  

There is no way they can give you all 700 HP without some major traction control right?

My '09 Tundra 5.7L claims 380HP. But traction control limits the power at take off and when there was any slippage (spinning tires).

There is a button to turn it off but it has to be pushed, hold, pushed, hold, pushed, hold ... to turn all that stuff off. Then it resets itself when truck is shut off.

I found the control module (after some internet research) and unplugged it. Now there are no HP limits and she'll spin 35" all terrain tires without hesitation. 

So I leave it unplugged.

Not sure if there is a similar device on the Hellcat ... but I imagine it would be REALLY fun if there were. Just don't try to drive it in the rain.

Standard or auto?

I like shifting. ... although that is some pretty stupit horsepower to try and manage with a clutch.

I assume there is some traction control to make it more drivable...  that you can turn off for the track?

How's the ride? Probably a bit smoother than the C6 anyway ... or is that adjustable too?
They only come in auto. 2 of my other cars are manual. I wanted a new fancy 8 speed auto anyway. Pretty much all new cars have traction control. ;)

Ride is great. There are adjustable modes on the Hellcat.

Huge car nut.

DD is a ‘12 supercharged Audi A6 Quattro.  Fun weekend car is a 96 911 (993) with a decent amount of mods.  Have owned a 98 fully built mustang (endless mod list) and a nice pro touring 66 chevelle with a 427 big block.  Really hoping to pick up a 16/17 GT350 in the coming year.  
Nice, I've had 5 Mustangs so far. Dream car is a resto mod 67 Chevelle with an LS motor. Thought about that over the Hellcat, but tired of wrenching so wrong car for this time in my life. GT350 bleh (Unless you are going to track it)

There is no way they can give you all 700 HP without some major traction control right?

My '09 Tundra 5.7L claims 380HP. But traction control limits the power at take off and when there was any slippage (spinning tires).

There is a button to turn it off but it has to be pushed, hold, pushed, hold, pushed, hold ... to turn all that stuff off. Then it resets itself when truck is shut off.

I found the control module (after some internet research) and unplugged it. Now there are no HP limits and she'll spin 35" all terrain tires without hesitation. 

So I leave it unplugged.

Not sure if there is a similar device on the Hellcat ... but I imagine it would be REALLY fun if there were. Just don't try to drive it in the rain.
Yea, not going to turn TC off on this car on the street. You're asking for trouble. If I'm at the track or just trying to do a burnout, I may.

I did a did a conversion on a 1983 VW Vanagon a few years ago.  Pulled the engine from a Subaru Outback and put it in the van.  I had so much fun doing it.  Sold it a few months ago cause we didn't use it enough.  

But the bug bit me...trying to wait patiently before pulling the trigger on WRX.  Those things are so bad ###.  

I did a did a conversion on a 1983 VW Vanagon a few years ago.  Pulled the engine from a Subaru Outback and put it in the van.  I had so much fun doing it.  Sold it a few months ago cause we didn't use it enough.  

But the bug bit me...trying to wait patiently before pulling the trigger on WRX.  Those things are so bad ###.  
In a perfect world I'd have a Levorg which is essentially a WRX wagon they sell in Japan.  I bought my WRX to replace my Subaru Outback XT LTD MT, I put around 125K miles on it.  It was a 2005 and I really liked that car a lot, it was pretty much a perfect blend of performance and utility without being SUV sized, it was really perfectly sized.  The new ones are huge and Subaru really doesn't offer a performance wagon w/MT option any longer.  As much as I love my WRX, honestly, if I were to do it all over again I would have looked for a previous generation WRX or STi hatchback or maybe I would have bought my wife a new Outback.  I miss the cargo hauling capacity but I really dislike SUV's for myself.  I love wagons though.  I keep debating about getting a 4th vehicle which is an old pickup truck that would sit in the driveway.  I dunno.

In a perfect world I'd have a Levorg which is essentially a WRX wagon they sell in Japan.  I bought my WRX to replace my Subaru Outback XT LTD MT, I put around 125K miles on it.  It was a 2005 and I really liked that car a lot, it was pretty much a perfect blend of performance and utility without being SUV sized, it was really perfectly sized.  The new ones are huge and Subaru really doesn't offer a performance wagon w/MT option any longer.  As much as I love my WRX, honestly, if I were to do it all over again I would have looked for a previous generation WRX or STi hatchback or maybe I would have bought my wife a new Outback.  I miss the cargo hauling capacity but I really dislike SUV's for myself.  I love wagons though.  I keep debating about getting a 4th vehicle which is an old pickup truck that would sit in the driveway.  I dunno.
I'm debating that too.  I think I want to get a newer WRX and just have it as a DD, but then I'd be scared to do anything in it.   Perfect world would be having a SUV then a 2004 WRX STI as the toy.  

We'll see.....I'm definitely tuning into this thread.  

So I leave it unplugged.

Your truck is a bad comparison.   The hell cat is designed to put the power to the ground (much stickier wide tires, stiff rear end, etc). That being said I am pretty sure you can brake the tires loose through at least four gears if you are not careful.  For most drivers they need to leave the traction control on to be safe.  

Yea, not going to turn TC off on this car on the street. You're asking for trouble. If I'm at the track or just trying to do a burnout, I may.
Before you track this monster make sure you are comfortable with your driving skill.  These things are heavenly with lots of power which can be trouble.  Very cool cars though!

Huge car nut.

those are some serious vehicles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm debating that too.  I think I want to get a newer WRX and just have it as a DD, but then I'd be scared to do anything in it.   Perfect world would be having a SUV then a 2004 WRX STI as the toy.  

We'll see.....I'm definitely tuning into this thread.  
Or just buy an RS7 if you want AWD fun :D

I can't be the only car guy here. I just picked up another toy...2018 Charger Hellcat. It will be my daily driver, but replaces the HP void my modded C6 Z06 left when I sold it. Keeping my supercharged M Edition Miata for now as well. It's a blast to drive. One extreme to the other now. :D

No go fast mods planned, but already have appearance crap on order. Might pick up some extra rears with DRs just to hit the track to see what she does.

My Mazdaspeed6 &, now former daily driver, 2017 Jetta are for sale if anyone is in the market. I'm in PA.

Tell us about your toys!
I have a 2016 Charger HC.  Replaced the rears with 305 NT555Rs.  The stock Pirellis for that car are a joke.

Part of the allure of having that car was that I rarely saw another one on the road.  I saw plenty of Challengers, but not Chargers.  But due to overproduction and huge discounts, I probably see at least two or three new ones every month now.

I'm in the market for a Trackhawk.  The deals are out there now, need to find the right one.

Right, but that doesn't really matter when 99% of daily driving is done on straight roads
So you live in manhattan or something? ??

A tweaked m3 like @sbonomo tracks is a SIGNIFICANTLY better vehicle for far more “real world driving” scenarios.

The Challenger is a great quarter mile car... and a solid banked oval car. 

:lmao:  sure buddy
Hey, I feel like know cars pretty well, but you seem pretty confident.

By all means... feel free to elaborate on which real world driving conditions a Challenger will outclass a tuned M3. I’ll gladly admit I’m wrong if you make a valid case. 

Or we can admit we have no case and stick with the rolling head smiley, for old times sake. 

This car was purpose built to be a streetable 1/4mi car. 

Hey, I feel like know cars pretty well, but you seem pretty confident.

By all means... feel free to elaborate on which real world driving conditions a Challenger will outclass a tuned M3. I’ll gladly admit I’m wrong if you make a valid case. 

Or we can admit we have no case and stick with the rolling head smiley, for old times sake. 

This car was purpose built to be a streetable 1/4mi car. 
Aw yes.  The good old knowledgeable car guy who doesn't own either one lol.

Aw yes.  The good old knowledgeable car guy who doesn't own either one lol.
Don’t get angry with me... it’s not my fault your girl needs to go on a serious diet before she can even think about get bendy like the petite lass next door. ;)  

Probably going to wait until 2020 and get a used 2019 Miata RF.  Love the look of that car and they are supposedly boosting it by 30 or so HP to 180ish.

Also would love to get my hands on a decent 60's Sunbeam Alpine, but I don't realistically have the time or money to put into it so it is just a dream.

I swapped an AMC 360 into an 82cj7 and was following my buddy in his Hemi Ram.  He punched it and so did I and we were neck and neck.  That was scary without doors and a rusted floorboard.

If anyone is looking for a fun V-10 for a reasonable amount look at around a 2008-2009 M5.  I have been eyeballing them.  They run from 20-30 for a V-10 with 500+hp

http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/1cb67935
For 20 years I would often tell you car guys to have fun but I was done spinning my wheels. Then last summer I was giving my dd to my daughter to take to college and had a desire for something to feed my mid-life crisis. I consulted @sbonomo about an older supercar from the early 90s. He trashed that thinking and steered me in the right direction. I found a 2012 M5 with 67k miles for 35k (had a 95k dealer sticker in the trunk). BMW dropped the V10 that year for a twin turbo v8 with more hp and way more torque. If I was going to get the V10, I'd probably go even older than you suggest back to 05-07. Some really good deals around 15k for essentially the same beast. A year later I love the car and take short or long trips on a whim because it's so fun to drive. I seem to get to the usual places (LA Vegas Tahoe San Diego) a lot sooner now.

However lately I find myself using a fairly new Chevy truck as my daily driver. The bimmer stays in the garage for days at a time. Thinking of selling it. :shrug:  

Wow!  That is awesome.  I am not a BMW guru so was unaware of the engine swap.  I am mostly a Jeep guy but I love me some fast cars also.

I am starting a new job in a few weeks and my commute will be 25 miles one way.  Trying to decide between a newer Rubicon or a small sports sedan.

fruity pebbles said:
:(  ive got a kid in college. Im currently searching for the right 05-06 GTO
I think that GTO is an outstanding car, I almost bought one new but my goodness they are hard to find in good shape now, so many of them have been hammered on.  I would also consider a C5 Z06 as well as a C6 those cars are going for high teens low 20's now and a lot of old timers own them, baby them, never drive them much and really look after them.  In my anecdotal ownership experience, mine has been pretty much maintenance items, replaced the oem battery a couple of years ago, tires, oil changes but that's been about it.  Just a thought.

I think that GTO is an outstanding car, I almost bought one new but my goodness they are hard to find in good shape now, so many of them have been hammered on.  I would also consider a C5 Z06 as well as a C6 those cars are going for high teens low 20's now and a lot of old timers own them, baby them, never drive them much and really look after them.  In my anecdotal ownership experience, mine has been pretty much maintenance items, replaced the oem battery a couple of years ago, tires, oil changes but that's been about it.  Just a thought.
Meh to the GTO. Go with w C5Z or C6Z.

Foosball God said:
Was serving a TO  :ph34r:

I'm a car guy for sure, but not like some of the guys in here.  I've accepted that there will always be faster cars out there, so my days of swapping parts to squeeze extra horsepower out of the engine are over.  I'm into classic cars, and honestly kinda enjoy fixing them up more than driving them

My current toy: '70 'Cuda, 383 4-bbl, 4-speed w/ original pistol grip shifter, 3.91 SureGrip, original AM/8-track ;) .  It's probably a 1 of 1 car when you factor all the options on the buildsheet (car was restored to be how it came off the factory floor minus all the goofy markings and stickers)

Again, not the fastest car out there, but it's fun to drive and can still eat up a set of tires.

Users who are viewing this thread