What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MSNBC jumping the shark?...Ratings indicate yes (2 Viewers)

Yes.  Among them at least one very smart lawyer, as well as some folks who've spent the past couple years trashing people with dissenting opinions as QANON conspiracy theorists, while buying into one of the more asinine conspiracy theories of recent memory.  

And what are you on about with the network keeping her in check?  That's an incredible statement.  She's been on the Russian conspiracy tour for over 2 years now.  Has Maddow corrected herself and apologized for pushing millions of people into believing a false conspiracy theory, all the times she never bothered to correct debunked Russiagate stories, all the times she reported information in a misleading way to suit her narrative?  Did they ever apologize for having Malcolm Nance even after all his lies and slandering Greenwald as a Russian agent?  Nope.  They sure didn't. 
Nancy Pelosi made a comment recently that they need to focus on health care and not the Russian stuff. Almost immediately most of the MSM outlets were talking about health care and not the Russia stuff. Maddow did't do that and continues with it and her ratings are falling.

Yes.  Among them at least one very smart lawyer, as well as some folks who've spent the past couple years trashing people with dissenting opinions as QANON conspiracy theorists, while buying into one of the more asinine conspiracy theories of recent memory.  

And what are you on about with the network keeping her in check?  That's an incredible statement.  She's been on the Russian conspiracy tour for over 2 years now.  Has Maddow corrected herself and apologized for pushing millions of people into believing a false conspiracy theory, all the times she never bothered to correct debunked Russiagate stories, all the times she reported information in a misleading way to suit her narrative?  Did they ever apologize for having Malcolm Nance even after all his lies and slandering Greenwald as a Russian agent?  Nope.  They sure didn't. 
I don't watch our national MSM....at all (outside a breaking national event like 9/11 etc).  It's an echo chamber I can't quite figure out why any of you participate in and I made my comment about this instance specifically.  That doesn't negate any other instances.  They are independent of one another.  Don't know why that's incredible at all.

When she crashed and burned on Russia her credibility took a major hit.  A lot of pundits went in, but Maddow went ALL in.  She will recover eventually though.  There’s always a new conspiracy theory to circulate.
She reminds me of art help after the y2k hype was a bust.  When you’re a prophet you gotta deliver 

Last week’s poor ratings for CNN and MSNBC indicate the networks will have a difficult time bouncing back after spending two years of heavy coverage on the investigation into the Trump campaign’s alleged collusion with the Russian government. (RELATED: ‘Unfit to Print’: Rachel Maddow’s Ratings Plummet And CNN’s Qatari Ties)

MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow was particularly damaged by the finding of no collusion as the majority of her broadcasts focused on the conspiracy. In the span of just one week, Maddow dropped half a million viewers after the conclusion of the Mueller probe.

According to last week’s Nielsen numbers, her show is down 17 percent from the most recent March and a whopping 34 percent from last April.

Went back and watched that clip again.  Love how Chris Matthews tunes out, then has to ask the panelists who they're talking about.  Sometimes I zone out like that too.  

Last week’s poor ratings for CNN and MSNBC indicate the networks will have a difficult time bouncing back after spending two years of heavy coverage on the investigation into the Trump campaign’s alleged collusion with the Russian government. (RELATED: ‘Unfit to Print’: Rachel Maddow’s Ratings Plummet And CNN’s Qatari Ties)

MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow was particularly damaged by the finding of no collusion as the majority of her broadcasts focused on the conspiracy. In the span of just one week, Maddow dropped half a million viewers after the conclusion of the Mueller probe.

According to last week’s Nielsen numbers, her show is down 17 percent from the most recent March and a whopping 34 percent from last April.
Are Fox's ratings down as well?  I wouldn't be surprised if the average American is tired of all of this crap and has tuned out in general, not just from the liberal cable channels.  I haven't watched any of them in years now. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Like Ghost said it would help if DC had a link - they don't - to show their numbers to get a comp.

Here are the full numbers for the week.

Even within the week you can see the left/middle is split between CNN and Msnbc while Fox gobbles up the whole of the right. In general it's win some, lose some, and yeah the left/center does win some. Hannity's a juggernaut but he lost to Maddow+Cuomo. 

(I'm not formatting, but you can figure it out):

Total Viewers (Live+SD x 1,000)

Total Day: FNC: 1.677 | CNN: 619 | MSNBC: 1.143
Prime: FNC: 2.823 | CNN: 781 | MSNBC: 1.953

FNCCNNMSNBC:

4PMCavuto:
1.281Tapper:
661N.Wallace:

5PMFive:
2.327Blitzer:
758MTPDaily:

6PMBaier:
2.102Blitzer:
709Melber:

7PMMacCallum:
1.847Burnett:
737Matthews:

8PMCarlson:
2.753Cooper:
820Hayes:

9PMHannity:
3.119Cuomo:
783Maddow:

10PMIngraham:
2.596Lemon:
742O’Donnell:

11PMBream:
1.404Lemon:
554Williams:

You can look at the last Tuesday before the Barr letter here.

Fox is down from 2.040 to 1.677 , so that is a decline as well, roughly ~20% I think. And Hannity actually did better vs Cuomo+Maddow.

Total Viewers (Live+SD x 1,000)

Total Day: FNC: 2.040 | CNN: 600 | MSNBC: 1.072
Prime: FNC: 3.341 | CNN: 798 | MSNBC: 1.824

FNCCNNMSNBC:

4PMCavuto:
1.780Tapper:
687N.Wallace:

5PMFive:
2.897Blitzer:
694MTPDaily:

6PMBaier:
2.522Blitzer:
632Melber:

7PMMacCallum:
2.324Burnett:
687Matthews:

8PMCarlson:
3.554Cooper:
764Hayes:

9PMHannity:
3.571Cuomo:
841Maddow:

10PMIngraham:
2.897Lemon:
788O’Donnell:

11PMBream:
1.775Lemon:
592Williams:

How does Al Sharpton still have a stranglehold on this network? :lmao:  I’m watching their coverage of the Democrat event in South Carolina and after every candidate speaks they run off stage and immediately give an interview to Sharpton.

Forgot about this thread.  Good to see MSNBC and Joe Scarborough were way out ahead of AOC with the concentration camp rhetoric.   Not too many people in here are anything wrong with it.  Lol.   What a bunch. 

How does Al Sharpton still have a stranglehold on this network? :lmao:  I’m watching their coverage of the Democrat event in South Carolina and after every candidate speaks they run off stage and immediately give an interview to Sharpton.
That’s a fair point, I think Trumpites often use Maddow as the comp for Hannity but it’s really Sharpton.

Forgot about this thread.  Good to see MSNBC and Joe Scarborough were way out ahead of AOC with the concentration camp rhetoric.   Not too many people in here are anything wrong with it.  Lol.   What a bunch. 
I was just bumping this the other day because it had MSNBC in the title, but man you’re right.  I just went back and reread this entire thread and it’s pretty much the same exact playbook the Democrats used last year literally to the week.  

Crazy attracts crazy.  He’s a perfect fit.

Based on what?  Them not posting in a thread you started and forgot about yourself? 

I’d say Lawrence O’Donnell is closer. Even as a liberal that guy is hard to take.
I really like O’Donnell. I am a huge fan of The West Wing and he wrote most of the last season. Thoughtful guy. 

I used to like Rachel more. She is very bright but her show is a little too conspiratorial for me. 

Al Sharpton has been an awful human being for most of his life- doesn’t surprise me at all that he knows Donald Trump quite well since they’re rather similar. Sharpton has attempted in recent years to be kinder and gentler and may have succeeded. At times he can be a sharp observer of politics which doesn’t involve him directly, much like Pat Buchanan used to he. But even if I found Sharpton to be both decent and illuminating, his delivery is so awful and annoying that I simply can’t take him for more than a few minutes at a time. With the exception of Mark Levin who is even worse, Al Sharpton has the most annoying voice of any political celebrity I can think of. 

Based on what?  Them not posting in a thread you started and forgot about yourself? 
Did you read this thread?   You were the only one who at least admitted that MSNBC is a list cause.  Everyone else seemed on board with the Nazi rhetoric and instead turned it on me.  

I really like O’Donnell. I am a huge fan of The West Wing and he wrote most of the last season. Thoughtful guy. 

I used to like Rachel more. She is very bright but her show is a little too conspiratorial for me. 

Al Sharpton has been an awful human being for most of his life- doesn’t surprise me at all that he knows Donald Trump quite well since they’re rather similar. Sharpton has attempted in recent years to be kinder and gentler and may have succeeded. At times he can be a sharp observer of politics which doesn’t involve him directly, much like Pat Buchanan used to he. But even if I found Sharpton to be both decent and illuminating, his delivery is so awful and annoying that I simply can’t take him for more than a few minutes at a time. With the exception of Mark Levin who is even worse, Al Sharpton has the most annoying voice of any political celebrity I can think of. 
Just speaking about their shows or MSNBC  personas. Really don’t watch a ton of TV news so not even sure when Al is on but see him as a guest from time to time and he has been pretty much boilerplate Trump basher (fine by me) when I have seen him with his point of view obviously coming from the African American perspective.

O’Donnell is just so over the top sanctimonious with his delivery. Not a fan. 

Also a huge West Wing fan (last season is one of the best of the series IMO and his cameo as Jeb’s Dad was solid :nerd: ) so I want to like the show but he just doesn’t add anything when I watch except ragging in Trump. I get that sentiment, but don’t need to spend time watching it.

I wouldn’t spend much time watching either of them unless the topic really interested me.

O’Donnell is to the left what O’Reiily is to the right in this regard: an obnoxious personality who comes off like he knows everything. 
Yeah. He has some Tucker Carlson smarminess in him as well. I agree with O’Donnell on majority of the issues but not a fan of his style.

jon_mx said:
Did you read this thread?   You were the only one who at least admitted that MSNBC is a list cause.  Everyone else seemed on board with the Nazi rhetoric and instead turned it on me.  
They are all a lost cause. I don't know why you guys insist on using them as a gauge for anything but here we are

I didnt know they were blackballing Andrew Yang. What a garbage network. The guy is polling at 2 percent and they dont give him a fair shake

O’Donnell is to the left what O’Reiily is to the right in this regard: an obnoxious personality who comes off like he knows everything. 
I've heard O'Reilly recently is appearing on Hannity, Beck and other conservative outlets, yet is still pushing that he is "no spin". When on Fox,  O'Reilly was at least interested in getting opposing viewpoints on, and was successful in getting Obama, Kerry, Schumer, and others on, and wasn't as crazy as the Hannity's, Beck's, Carlson's and Ingram's are, but was definitely right of center. In his last year on Fox, he was clearly behind Trump and just made excuse after excuse for Trump either lying about things or downplaying his daily controversy - that was sad to see because if Trump was a Democrat, he'd be throwing fits every night. Anyways, O'Reilly has $32M other problems these days 🙂

CNN’s Van Jones didn’t name names on Saturday night when he mocked “another network” for “freaking out” over Senator Bernie Sanders’ unfolding victory in the Nevada caucus.

As Jones spoke about Sanders’ momentum in the 2020 race, he remarked, “The establishment is upset and there is another station, another channel, and another few things going on tonight where people are freaking out and melting down all across the country, or at least, all over the airwaves.”

It isn’t clear who Jones was referring to specifically, but we can have a guess.

Before Jones issued his comments on CNN, there was a flood of anti-Sanders commentary on MSNBC.

Democratic strategist James Carville — no fan of Sanders — was on MSNBC to react to the caucus’ progression, and he went on a notable diatribe against the Vermont senator. After that, MSNBC host Chris Matthews seemed to take things up a notch by making a garbled comparison between Sanders’ projected triumph and Germany’s defeat of France in World War II.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnns-van-jones-mocks-another-channel-for-freaking-out-and-melting-down-over-bernie-win-in-nevada/
Half the country already hates this network, now they are shooting for another 25% with their #NeverBernie movement.  Quickly becoming the best joke in news to both sides.  

In a shocking segment, MSNBC’s Katy Tur suggested that the FBI should be tracking young white men online to radicalize them, provide resources for creating explosives, and then arrest them.

Tur was comparing young white men to ISIS terrorists in an interview with Frank Figliuzzi, the former Assistant Director for Counterintelligence at the FBI.

Just MSNBC suggesting the FBI should be tracking young white men online to radicalize them, provide resources for creating explosives, and then arrest them. pic.twitter.com/6xq60MZNT1

— zyntrax (@zyntrax) February 23, 2020

“When you’re looking at ISIS or you’re looking at radical Islamic terrorism, I covered a number of stories where the FBI would track young kids or young men and they would talk to them online and say ‘you know, here’s how you build a bomb,’ or ‘here’s where you get your bomb making materials,’ and they track that person as that person radicalized and then arrested them before they could do anything bad,” Tur said. “Why is the same not being done for white extremists or is the same being done and we just don’t know about it?”

Figliuzzi responded that it is “time to ask that question” and to “wrestle with it” because politics “does enter in.” He then mocked people who would defend the First Amendment and claim that this is the act of “thought police.”
It's disgusting the FBI was/is doing this.  Even worse that MSNBC is promoting it.  

It's disgusting the FBI was/is doing this.  Even worse that MSNBC is promoting it.  
Jeez, just now seeing this.  Did Katy Tur intentionally leave out the fact that the FBI was running this entrapment scheme on mentally ill men?  Beyond the pale gross.  

As with many of the "both sides" talking points in the Trump era, this too has been hoisted with their own petards.

Because there's no MSNBC equivalent of what Fox News said about the coronavirus.
Again, we're talking overall and not some specific point in time.  They're all propaganda garbage.  You can stop pretending the other side is so virtuous.  They aren't and they aren't anymore or less than Fox.  You're fooling yourself if you think Fox is the only bad guy in all this.

As with many of the "both sides" talking points in the Trump era, this too has been hoisted with their own petards.

Because there's no MSNBC equivalent of what Fox News said about the coronavirus.
Again, we're talking overall and not some specific point in time.  They're all propaganda garbage.  You can stop pretending the other side is so virtuous.  They aren't and they aren't anymore or less than Fox.
Overall doesn't matter anymore.

You remember when MSNBC got caught [doing some bad thing]? Well, that's nothing, because Fox downplayed the coronavirus! And remember when MSNBC [did some other bad thing]? Well, Fox downplayed the coronavirus!

Overall doesn't matter anymore.

You remember when MSNBC got caught [doing some bad thing]? Well, that's nothing, because Fox downplayed the coronavirus! And remember when MSNBC [did some other bad thing]? Well, Fox downplayed the coronavirus!
Yeah, I"m not sure what to tell you.  I believe they're all trash.  You think only Fox is.  :shrug:

Why do you insist that only Fox is the problem?

Yeah, I"m not sure what to tell you.  I believe they're all trash.  You think only Fox is.  :shrug:

Why do you insist that only Fox is the problem?
As far as I know, Fox is the only national media outlet which downplayed the coronavirus threat to the point of using words like "hoax" and "impeachment".

That automatically makes them worse than every other outlet combined.

As far as I know, Fox is the only national media outlet which downplayed the coronavirus threat to the point of using words like "hoax" and "impeachment".

Nah, not really IMO.  I respect your opinion but downplaying stuff and overplaying stuff happens on all networks and it's all just as bad.  If you want to single out Corona-virus as the one that pushed you over the edge, that's fine.  I'm okay with that.  

They're all garbage to me.

Well...Trumps other favorite OANN claimed it was created in a lab in North Carolina.

[scooter] said:

As opposed to the other side which has gone from beating the Trump-hating 24/7 to fear-mongering over the coronavirus 24/7.  It is all ridiculous.  

As opposed to the other side which has gone from beating the Trump-hating 24/7 to fear-mongering over the coronavirus 24/7.  It is all ridiculous.  
What fear mongering?  Have they been wrong about the spread of this?

Do you agree yet about shutting things down as we have in this country?

[scooter] said:

The problem with this attempt at whataboutism is that Fox is now jumping on the fearmongering bandwagon.

There's no "other side" to that. Fox irresponsibly encouraged people to go out and get infected, and now they are irresponsibly fearmongering. It's the worst of both worlds.

What fear mongering?  Have they been wrong about the spread of this?

Do you agree yet about shutting things down as we have in this country?
Japan got an earlier jump on us with this virus and now they have a much fewer infections.  They have not shut down as much as we have.  They are not talking about marshal law or are not hoarding stuff.  They are still playing ball minus the large crowds.  You watch their news and they talk about normal stuff and the population is not living in nearly the fear we live it.  I think the media has been terrible in fueling the fear.  Shutting things down like schools for a while makes sense.  Educating people about talking proper percautions makes sense.  But we have gone too far in some areas and are shutting down too much.  There are still only 6 out of 100,000 who have the virus, and then it is still unlikely to be fatal.  I think we are going too far.  

Users who are viewing this thread