What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MSNBC jumping the shark?...Ratings indicate yes (1 Viewer)

Nobody is claiming it’s exactly the same in every way Jon...nobody.

But that you cant admit the similarities is in you...not everyone else.
Ok.  This forum is just like Nazi death camps because they do not allow dissent.  Can you admit similarities when they are that absurd.  The most important aspect is missing. 

Ok.  This forum is just like Nazi death camps because they do not allow dissent.  Can you admit similarities when they are that absurd.  The most important aspect is missing. 
Except dissent is allowed.  So your point was again inaccurate.

Also the quote you provided...they don’t mention death camps...you added that for effect. They spoke of something being like the Nazis...tactics which this administration has engaged in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody is claiming it’s exactly the same in every way Jon...nobody.

But that you cant admit the similarities is in you...not everyone else.
Hey, I don't support Nazi death camps but all those people that complain about them - they need to get ahold of themselves.

I haven't watched msnbc for a while now, but It's tough to take the OP's opinion on this seriously.  I mean, REALLY?

https://twitter.com/amjoyshow/status/1007989358434115585

.@JACOBSOBOROFF (1/2): It’s complete BS to hear the president, the attorney general, Sarah Huckabee Sanders say there’s nothing new about this, there is nothing unusual about this, or it’s the Democrats’ policy.

#AMJoy #immigration #ChildrenInCages

.@JACOBSOBOROFF (2/2): This has never, ever been done before as a systematic policy to take kids away from their parents at the rate of 100%, the goal of the #Trump administration. 

I haven't watched msnbc for a while now, but It's tough to take the OP's opinion on this seriously.  I mean, REALLY?
Same here...and the next narrative will be that we all defend MSNBC and think they are a great source while complaining about Fox...such hypocrites and something something.

Actually on further reflection this is a good point. The Nazis would have crushed this dissent by seizing the poster and then not telling his family where they had taken him. Is there a current day comp for that you can think of?

:lmao: . Really.   Not one person on this forum can see the difference between arresting and detaining people trying to illegally enter into this country and rounding up people and exterminating them because of their race/religion.  Not one person is going to admit it is an absurd analogy which specifically mentions showers where Jews were gassed in? 
Would you feel better if the comparison was to the concentration camps the British Empire set up during the Boer War?

Good morning. jon, I think you are correct in your OP- I was watching Morning Joe when he said that yesterday. I thought to myself, showers? This is really over the top. And yeah, as a general rule rhetoric like this only helps Trump. 

But in this instance it doesn’t matter. 

We can argue who says what all day long but here’s the main thing: the visual of children being separated from their parents is going to kill the GOP. They know it, too. Trump trying to blame the Democrats, conservatives trying to point out that it started under Obama, you trying to focus on over the top rhetoric (btw, Joe Scarborough is not a member of “the left”)- none of that is going to work. The public is going to blame Republicans for this mess and take it out on them in November, which is why Paul Ryan is trying so desperately to fix it (he won’t.) 

The GOP is screwed. And frankly they deserve it. Ugly stuff. 

And yeah, as a general rule rhetoric like this only helps Trump. 
I think this was Jon's point. Ok, why? Guy in middle America: you oppose the policy. You think action is illegal (no law commands it, illegal aliens still get due process). But Joe S on a network you don't watch says something you think is an unfair comp, so now Go Trump?

Would you feel better if the comparison was to the concentration camps the British Empire set up during the Boer War?
It’s closer. But the main crime in that situation is that 30,000 Boer women and children died of starvation and sickness. That’s not going to happen here. 

Theres no accurate analogy. The crime is in the separation. 

I think this was Jon's point. Ok, why? Guy in middle America: you oppose the policy. You think action is illegal (no law commands it, illegal aliens still get due process). But Joe S on a network you don't watch says something you think is an unfair comp, so now Go Trump?
I wrote “as a general rule.” I don’t think it’s wise to compare Trump to Hiltler, or compare his policies to the Nazis. First off, it makes no sense: the Nazis are not comparable (that’s what makes them Nazis). I’m not sure that it energizes Trump supporters (they seem energized anyhow) but it turns off a lot of people you’re trying to reach. They hear Hitler or Nazi in regard to Trump and they simply tune you out. 

I wrote “as a general rule.” I don’t think it’s wise to compare Trump to Hiltler, or compare his policies to the Nazis. First off, it makes no sense: the Nazis are not comparable (that’s what makes them Nazis). I’m not sure that it energizes Trump supporters (they seem energized anyhow) but it turns off a lot of people you’re trying to reach. They hear Hitler or Nazi in regard to Trump and they simply tune you out. 
I ordinarily agree with you on this stuff. Godwin's Law and all that. But honestly as a factual historical matter draw a line on this to other countries that do / have done this. Admittedly doing it to citizens of other nations is possibly unique - but also problematic - but still the list is... fill in the blanks. It's not pretty, admittedly you do not have to limit it to Nazi Germany. Pinochet's Chile. Peronist Argentina. Stalinist USSR. Modern NK. I am not being unfair here. 

Even when you find comparisons like this one, it’s still unwise IMO to bring them up in terms of “Trump is a Nazi”. 
Because it's upsetting and people who oppose authoritarianism don't like to hear a real life example of authoritarianism. I mean that is your point, right? Maybe it's mine too.

Because it's upsetting and people who oppose authoritarianism don't like to hear a real life example of authoritarianism. I mean that is your point, right? Maybe it's mine too.
Because when people hear Nazi that’s ALL they hear; they think “extreme partisan rhetoric” and tune out the rest. 

This policy is ugly. Really ugly; the public doesn’t like it. All you need to do is point at it and say, “hey GOP, WTF?” You don’t need to mention Nazis at all. 

Because when people hear Nazi that’s ALL they hear; they think “extreme partisan rhetoric” and tune out the rest. 

This policy is ugly. Really ugly; the public doesn’t like it. All you need to do is point at it and say, “hey GOP, WTF?” You don’t need to mention Nazis at all. 
agree

So they need to be more PC 

See the irony here?

So they need to be more PC 

See the irony here?
I'm not sure this point of Tim's meets the definition of PC. 

Here is my reasoning: It is not about being sensitive to anyone's feelings, personal traits or positions, etc.; rather it is about communicating more effectively.

Now, I am still open to both sides on how to address this issue, but I don't think PC is entering the equation at this point.

Not my point. It’s what Man Of Constant Sorrow wrote: it’s not effective. 
I’d agree but the reason it’s not effective is because of those feelings.  Because the tell it like it is crowd doesn’t like to hear it. Not because it isn’t valid...but because it isn't comfortable.

It’s closer. But the main crime in that situation is that 30,000 Boer women and children died of starvation and sickness. That’s not going to happen here. 

Theres no accurate analogy. The crime is in the separation. 
Maybe the WWII internment camps for Japanese-Americans is a better comp. 

There is no reason that the administration can't both enforce border security and come up with a solution that does not deliberately separate children from their parents. The purpose of this policy is intentional cruelty. It's evil being done in the name of the people of the US.

Not my point. It’s what Man Of Constant Sorrow wrote: it’s not effective. 
I’d agree but the reason it’s not effective is because of those feelings.  Because the tell it like it is crowd doesn’t like to hear it. Not because it isn’t valid...but because it isn't comfortable.
I think I see your point now sho.

So, you are pointing out a potential hypocrisy (whether conscious or unconscious), but are not necessarily advocating for being non-PC.

Am I wrong?

I get the argument that the nazi comp is so overused in the past and present that using it starts out sounding like a false emotional argument. 

But we have a WH which is denying it while at the same time his AG is running around celebrating it and citing the Bible in doing so. 

I think we have a real challenge here - instead of old school spin or modern PC morality police overreaching we just have a president who outright invents facts and claims about a policy in order to provide cover for those who don't like it and maybe even coopt them because the people they normally disagree with are so 'overreacting' (see Jon - he says he doesn't like the policy, says he sees it's illegal, but hey Msnbc). This is actually forcing free speech and American values to immolate themselves.

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump 3h3 hours ago

Democrats can fix their forced family breakup at the Border by working with Republicans on new legislation, for a change! This is why we need more Republicans elected in November. Democrats are good at only three things, High Taxes, High Crime and Obstruction. Sad!
Evan McMullin‏ @Evan_McMullin 1h1 hour ago

You and Republican leaders control the federal government. The disgustingly cruel and unAmerican forced separation of families is entirely your doing.

Evan McMullin‏ @Evan_McMullin 1h1 hour ago

You and Republican leaders control the federal government. The disgustingly cruel and unAmerican forced separation of families is entirely your doing.
And Trumps quit s are also why we see the comps...just flat out lies and attempts at controlling the media.

:lmao: ...sorry I am not part of the Trump hate fest.   Let's just dismiss all fair criticism.   Just belittle people.  Really classless #### in this forum.

:lmao: ...sorry I am not part of the Trump hate fest.   Let's just dismiss all fair criticism.   Just belittle people.  Really classless #### in this forum.
There's the rub. 

And calling into question the veracity of a posters repeated mistruths and misrepresentations, including providing detail and specifics, is not belittling people.   If you wish to be so loose with the truth, at least have thick enough skin to accept being called out on it.

Good to see the high brow rolling smilie is back, tho.

Good morning. jon, I think you are correct in your OP- I was watching Morning Joe when he said that yesterday. I thought to myself, showers? This is really over the top. And yeah, as a general rule rhetoric like this only helps Trump. 

But in this instance it doesn’t matter. 

We can argue who says what all day long but here’s the main thing: the visual of children being separated from their parents is going to kill the GOP. They know it, too. Trump trying to blame the Democrats, conservatives trying to point out that it started under Obama, you trying to focus on over the top rhetoric (btw, Joe Scarborough is not a member of “the left”)- none of that is going to work. The public is going to blame Republicans for this mess and take it out on them in November, which is why Paul Ryan is trying so desperately to fix it (he won’t.) 

The GOP is screwed. And frankly they deserve it. Ugly stuff. 
I don't disagree.  This is a distaster for the GOP, but the Trump-haters are doing their best to overplay it.  

There's the rub. 

And calling into question the veracity of a posters repeated mistruths and misrepresentations, including providing detail and specifics, is not belittling people.   If you wish to be so loose with the truth, at least have thick enough skin to accept being called out on it.

Good to see the high brow rolling smilie is back, tho.
Where was I being lose with the truth?   I have provided more details and specifics than anyone in this thread.  

Where was I being lose with the truth?   I have provided more details and specifics than anyone in this thread.  
I've not read through this thread because I believe, as noted, the entire premise is not an objective approach.  While I stated that, my intent was not to go point by point as I've come to the conclusion that's a futile endeavor when dealing with folks that, imo, play loose with the truth (just going on the years of history here for that assessment)

If you read my heartfelt plea to you in the other thread (don't recall which right now), that should explain it further. It was probably the first time I've bothered re-engaging with you for some time due to my thoughts on the matter, and assuming no change in approach, we can just let it sit for a while again.

Unlike some folks here who flat out troll, or just dont come off as people with any intent to be constructive and in fact seem to want for being a disruptive and negative contributor, I don't believe that is the case with you. So every so often it's worth tossing out a line, checking the temp.

Unfortunately, I've not personally seen a willingness to be more honest, up front, fair nor objective, hence no need to continually engage without getting frustrated and perhaps being more a drain on the conversation, myself.

Trump likes to defend Russia's transgressions by pointing out that America has also done horrible things.

O’Reilly: "He’s a killer though. Putin’s a killer."

Trump: "We have a lot of killers, got a lot of killers. What, you think our country is so innocent?"
Putting on my Louise Mensch hat, I might speculate that Trump is trying to do horrible things on purpose, possibly flouting international law by committing human rights violations, in order to strengthen his defense of Putin. "Sure, Russia is persecuting journalists and occupying Crimea, but are we so innocent? We're separating children from migrant families!!"

I've not read through this thread because I believe, as noted, the entire premise is not an objective approach.  While I stated that, my intent was not to go point by point as I've come to the conclusion that's a futile endeavor when dealing with folks that, imo, play loose with the truth (just going on the years of history here for that assessment)

If you read my heartfelt plea to you in the other thread (don't recall which right now), that should explain it further. It was probably the first time I've bothered re-engaging with you for some time due to my thoughts on the matter, and assuming no change in approach, we can just let it sit for a while again.

Unlike some folks here who flat out troll, or just dont come off as people with any intent to be constructive and in fact seem to want for being a disruptive and negative contributor, I don't believe that is the case with you. So every so often it's worth tossing out a line, checking the temp.

Unfortunately, I've not personally seen a willingness to be more honest, up front, fair nor objective, hence no need to continually engage without getting frustrated and perhaps being more a drain on the conversation, myself.
So your point was to personally belittle my opinion and make statements about my character in a thead you had not bothered to read.

Trump likes to defend Russia's transgressions by pointing out that America has also done horrible things.

O’Reilly: "He’s a killer though. Putin’s a killer."

Trump: "We have a lot of killers, got a lot of killers. What, you think our country is so innocent?"
Putting on my Louise Mensch hat, I might speculate that Trump is trying to do horrible things on purpose, possibly flouting international law by committing human rights violations, in order to strengthen his defense of Putin. "Sure, Russia is persecuting journalists and occupying Crimea, but are we so innocent? We're separating children from migrant families!!"
It may be a similar tactic, but Trump is not trying to use this in any way on the Russian front.  This is all about immigration policy. He is using policy he can (or at least attempt to) politically hang on Democrats to aid his tough immigration stance.   Having kind of a catch and release program does not make sense if you really want to control immigration and this whole child separation issue has gotten very convoluted.   All this gives Trump a bit of coverage to be a #####.   But this still is not gas chamber level stuff. 

Users who are viewing this thread