What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

World Cup Games vs US Open - What are you more interested in today? (1 Viewer)

What are you more interested in today?

• World Cup by a mile

Votes: 48 53.3%
  • World Cup

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Equal Interest in both

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • US Open

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • US Open by a mile

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • No interest in either

Votes: 10 11.1%

• Total voters
It's taking me some time to figure out who's replaced Tiger. Plus, the World Cup is every 4 years. It's the Super Bowl on steroids 

Another in a long line of weekly golf events, or the once every four years best in the world sporting event.

But no, because soccer's boring.

Favorite Sporting Events

1.  World Cup

2.  NCAA tournament 

3.  College football bowls/playoff

4.  World Cup qualifying (US games)

5.  NFL 

6.  NBA Playoffs 

7.  Summer Olympics 

8.  MLB 

9. Various soccer leagues 

10. Ovechkin keg stands 

Last edited by a moderator:
AAABatteries said:
:lmao: at regular season baseball games vs. the World Cup or the U.S. Open.  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:  
I think I’m now to the point where I’d rather watch any other sport than soccer, even the loosest term for sport (darts, cornhole, E-sports, etc).  Even NASCAR has surpassed it in excitement level

now if I’m forced to include women’s sports I’d probably take a World Cup match over the WNBA

Edit: maybe cricket would be worse?  Not sure I’ve ever watched it but one of my old bosses was British and I made the mistake of asking “isn’t it basically like baseball?” and got a 30 minute cricket crash course

also caught rugby once and it was pretty terrible, think I’d still take it over World Cup though 

So what are you curious about here, Joe? Got long range commercial interests or just making idle conversation about popularity trends in our domestic sports? I got no beef with either or even something entirely different, fwiw.

I think futbol has a long -- long -- way to go to become embedded in the larger culture. Those of us who are fans have mostly made our peace with that. I'm glad your board provides a place for we dorks to post about the most fun, and funniest, sport on the planet.

I agree with Tom. Golf and soccer are two of the worst sports to watch. I picked "no interest in either".

So what are you curious about here, Joe? Got long range commercial interests or just making idle conversation about popularity trends in our domestic sports? I got no beef with either or even something entirely different, fwiw.

I think futbol has a long -- long -- way to go to become embedded in the larger culture. Those of us who are fans have mostly made our peace with that. I'm glad your board provides a place for we dorks to post about the most fun, and funniest, sport on the planet.
Idle curiosity. I have a friend who is a golf fan who is not a soccer fan and he's been railing the last couple of days that local sports bars here have all soccer on TV and no golf. Just thought I'd ask here.  And for sure, glad to give you guys a place to talk about it. I know it's hugely popular. I did watch some of the Brazil game today and thought it was fun. 

Watched the Phillies. Wasn't aware the US open was this weekend and forgot the world cup started till my phone blew up that Mexico beat Germany.

I actually think you are wrong about this. Think about what has happened just in the last 5 years in terms of exposure and interest in the US.

All of those kids that started playing soccer years and years ago are having children (my generation), and now millions of kids are playing soccer and watching soccer with their dads. I have young kids, but there are parents my age that are starting to have grandkids, and THOSE kids are playing soccer at a growing rate.

Soccer is EXPLODING here and on the fringes of the mainstream (if not already). And it is a sport that the younger demographic that companies love are flocking towards.

This is only the beginning.

edit to add: soccer in my lifetime will approach NFL numbers in terms of ratings. And certainly soccer will have way more participation than football.

@Joe Bryant when you set up the poll, did you have any predictions in mind in terms of how the vote would turned out?  Just curious to see if the results are what you expected or not.

@Joe Bryant when you set up the poll, did you have any predictions in mind in terms of how the vote would turned out?  Just curious to see if the results are what you expected or not.
Thanks. This was almost exactly as I would have predicted. I know we have strong Soccer support here and that's awesome. 

Very much enjoy watching the US Open but nothing compares to the World Cup IMO ----> 'World Cup by a Mile' for me

Alternate prediction:

Soccer nerds and baseball nerds will try to convince each other that their sport is less boring than the other.

I actually think you are wrong about this. Think about what has happened just in the last 5 years in terms of exposure and interest in the US.

All of those kids that started playing soccer years and years ago are having children (my generation), and now millions of kids are playing soccer and watching soccer with their dads. I have young kids, but there are parents my age that are starting to have grandkids, and THOSE kids are playing soccer at a growing rate.

Soccer is EXPLODING here and on the fringes of the mainstream (if not already). And it is a sport that the younger demographic that companies love are flocking towards.

edit to add: soccer in my lifetime will approach NFL numbers in terms of ratings. And certainly soccer will have way more participation than football.
I don't see it.  I've probably watched more live soccer games this year than anyone here.  Big time college soccer conferences games frequently struggle to draw 1000 while their football counterparts are drawing 50,000+.  This is with 10,000 -35,000 of a built in fanbase of the younger generation living within walking distance of their home field.  Also tickets for these soccer games are a 10th of the cost.

I don't see it.  I've probably watched more live soccer games this year than anyone here.  Big time college soccer conferences games frequently struggle to draw 1000 while their football counterparts are drawing 50,000+.  This is with 10,000 -35,000 of a built in fanbase of the younger generation living within walking distance of their home field.  Also tickets for these soccer games are a 10th of the cost.
You’ve used this analogy before and everybody told you it was terrible. There is no big time college soccer in the US. The quality of player compared to college football is laughable. Big schools like fsu don’t even have a team. 

You’ve used this analogy before and everybody told you it was terrible. There is no big time college soccer in the US. The quality of player compared to college football is laughable. Big schools like fsu don’t even have a team. 
Memphis and Tennessee both experienced a decline in their per-game home attendance numbers last season, according to figures released by the NCAA.

Memphis had a 2.8 percent decrease in per-game attendance from 2016 to 2017 (37,346 in 2016 for seven home games to 36,302 in eight home games). That’s a slight dip compared to Tennessee, whose average attendance dropped by more than 5,000 last season.

The Vols had a per-game attendance of 95,779 last season, a 5.14 percent decrease from 2016, when they averaged 100,968 per game. Tennessee still ranked No. 7 among FBS schools in total attendance.

The declines were part of a bigger trend with FBS schools having their largest drop in per-game attendance in 34 years. The average per-game attendance in 2017 was 42,203, which was 1,409 fewer than the 2016 season.

FCS schools averaged 8,223 fans per game, a decline from 8,357 the previous season.
This somewhat supports you (college football attendance down), but FCS is drawing 8000+ per game.  The caliber of soccer athlete in ACC is far superior to FCS football players.

LOL at using the argument that your school doesn't even have a team to support soccer taking over in the US.  

This somewhat supports you (college football attendance down), but FCS is drawing 8000+ per game.  The caliber of soccer athlete in ACC is far superior to FCS football players.

LOL at using the argument that your school doesn't even have a team to support soccer taking over in the US.  
I’m....not using that argument. My point was college soccer is not a big deal in the us and using that to show that the game isn’t growing rapidly is a false equivalence. From what I understand, many of the best young US soccer players don’t even play in college. 

College soccer isn’t really important 

I’m....not using that argument. My point was college soccer is not a big deal in the us and using that to show that the game isn’t growing rapidly is a false equivalence. From what I understand, many of the best young US soccer players don’t even play in college. 
I'm just saying that I would expect to see a shift and it become a bigger deal with these "millions of kids" generation attending these schools.

Your understanding is correct on the surface, how the skill drop off really isn't that great.  Pulisic has stated that he played with several other US players who would have been successful in Europe but didn't get a chance.  Unless you have family in Europe you can't play there until your 18.  I personally know several kids that went to college to play rather than go pro at a lower level.  College baseball would be somewhat of a comp.

To be fair, the poll is a little self-selecting. Soccer dorks are always going to dash into any soccer-related thread in proportions greater than their actual numbers. 

A football board is bound to be older and more conservative than the sports viewing public in general. The reality is that golf and baseball are undoubtedly still pretty popular among the posters here.

Alternate prediction:

Soccer nerds and baseball nerds will try to convince each other that their sport is less boring than the other.
Eh, it's not worth the effort.  It's like trying to convince someone my favorite ice cream flavor is better than theirs.  No rationale is going to overcome taste.

Favorite sporting event for me is the Ryder Cup by a wide margin. Final round of the US Open vs opening round of the World Cup that the USA didn't even qualify for? 

Not close. US Open. I freaking hate the offsides in soccer. Defense should have to check the offensive player - not the other way around. Hate that.

Favorite sporting event for me is the Ryder Cup by a wide margin. Final round of the US Open vs opening round of the World Cup that the USA didn't even qualify for? 

Not close. US Open. I freaking hate the offsides in soccer. Defense should have to check the offensive player - not the other way around. Hate that.
On the surface that seems correct, but if you eliminated offsides the defenses would likely bunker leading to less scoring in many games. 

US Open by a mile.  A little surprised at the vote results, but to each his own.  
On a typical weekend, 1.5 to 2 million tune into golf.  It's hard to compare to soccer because their are numerous choices and the best soccer games are on in the US before noon.  The average EPL game draws close to 400,000 viewers for a single game.  The average soccer game garners 350,000 viewers.  5-6 games over a weekend puts you on par with the PGA.

In what way were you surprised?
I thought there were more golf fans on the board than soccer fans.  But I realize i'm one of the older guys and many younger guys like soccer.  I don't dislike it, just would rather watch golf, as it is something I play myself.  I will certainly watch the world cup once they get into the final rounds of matches.  

This.  Kids and I went to the SKC game against Dallas Saturday night and we bounced in the cauldron for 90 minutes. Way more fan participation and excitement than a Royals or Chiefs game - maybe the WS run was close or the Chiefs playoff games in the 90s. 

Reasonable ticket prices, free parking and shuttles, and a game that won’t run over 2:15 are all a huge plus.  My daughter was trying to learn more of the chants on her phone on the way home and my son wants a scarf. 

The crowds were young and engaged and I don’t see the momentum slowing. 

This.  Kids and I went to the SKC game against Dallas Saturday night and we bounced in the cauldron for 90 minutes. Way more fan participation and excitement than a Royals or Chiefs game - maybe the WS run was close or the Chiefs playoff games in the 90s. 

Reasonable ticket prices, free parking and shuttles, and a game that won’t run over 2:15 are all a huge plus.  My daughter was trying to learn more of the chants on her phone on the way home and my son wants a scarf. 

The crowds were young and engaged and I don’t see the momentum slowing. 
I think there is a big correlation between having a popular MLS team in your area and liking the sport.

Places like Portland, Seattle, KC, Atlanta, Orlando and others are really starting to make deep long lasting fans, adults and kids alike.

But it is not like that every where yet and the sport still has plenty of growth potential left in it.

I was raised walking distance to a golf course with unlimited access year round but not on the weekend (desert so winters were beautiful) . My dad was a big Trevino fan and as wee lad I walked Riviera with Jack Arnie and Lee. I've been to dozens of PGA events. I will be at another this July and walked Riviera again this year for Bubba's win. 

I voted equally high interest this weekend. If it was later in the World Cup then I would have voted for soccer, but this weekend a major golf tournament and the kickoff of the World Cup rated about even, and I'm a golf junkie. Pulling for Panama at the moment. I lived there for a year as a kid, so. 

I think there is a big correlation between having a popular MLS team in your area and liking the sport.

Places like Portland, Seattle, KC, Atlanta, Orlando and others are really starting to make deep long lasting fans, adults and kids alike.

But it is not like that every where yet and the sport still has plenty of growth potential left in it.
Wait till it's re-organized. Think of how excited the kids in Altoona are gonna be.

Users who are viewing this thread