What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Incredibles 2 (1 Viewer)

GroveDiesel

Footballguy
The Incredibles 2 just smashed animated box office records with a $180M opening weekend.

I took my daughter (9) and one of her friends to see the movie this weekend. It currently has a 94% on Rotten Tomatoes, but I honestly wasn't overly impressed.

The plot seemed pretty thin to me. A lot of the plot was basically a re-hash of the first movie. The villain was pretty weak too IMO and the combination of motives was a bit of a convoluted mess. And the gender roles thing just seems extremely played out at this point. Yeah, we get it, dad's have no clue how to be a parent and are uncomfortable when their wife has professional success and they have to stay home and take care of the kids, hahahaha! There was zero real tension for the kids, both of their "issues" seemed totally contrived and afterthoughts. And the new superhero characters were totally shallow and added nothing to the movie.

Even the big threat at the end seemed totally weird to me. The danger and potential destruction seemed incredibly mild and limited. So weird.

The baby was by far the best part of the movie. 

Lastly, maybe it's just me, but the cursing, even while being pretty mild, seemed totally unneccessary. Not sure why Disney/Pixar felt the need to include it.

I don't think they can produce a movie with Sam Jackson without cursing involved.  Pretty sure it's in his contract.  

Just saw it last night with my wife, kids, and even MIL. We all really enjoyed it.

:shrug:

Just saw it last night with my wife, kids, and even MIL. We all really enjoyed it.

:shrug:
wife and I saw it Friday and enjoyed it.. Baby killed it.. When Papa fell asleep and the Baby "tapped" his face twice to wake him up ..  :lmao:

Have to say though, the Pixar "short story" movie was crap... I get it... "empty Nester, blah, blah, blah" .. But it was depressing and the overall message of "When you leave, your Mom won't talk to you" was ridiculous. :thumbdown:

As Grove stated "even while being pretty mild, seemed totally unnecessary."

FWIW, my 14 year old noticed it as well. 
My 19 year old daughter noticed the casual use of alcohol, which we couldn't remember in previous Pixar movies. With the exception of Buzz acting drunk after "...sucking down Darjeeling with Marie Antoinette and her little sister."

Just to note, son, daughter, and I all enjoyed the movie. Kids picked me up, took me out to dinner, and then the movie. After, they took me for a couple of drinks. We reminisced about all the Pixar movies we had seen in the theater. Spent all day with them the next day. Great Father's Day weekend.

We saw it as a family yesterday and enjoyed it. Not the best Pixar movie by any stretch but I'd give it a solid B. The new super heroes were pretty lame but Jack Jack more than made up for it.

I don't know why but I find it kind of funny how we look at drinking and somewhat bad words used in cartoons now.  Remember the cartoons that most of us grew up with that had rude language, drinking, smoking and racism loaded in them?

wife and I saw it Friday and enjoyed it.. Baby killed it.. When Papa fell asleep and the Baby "tapped" his face twice to wake him up ..  :lmao:

Have to say though, the Pixar "short story" movie was crap... I get it... "empty Nester, blah, blah, blah" .. But it was depressing and the overall message of "When you leave, your Mom won't talk to you" was ridiculous. :thumbdown:
Yeah, the short was supremely bizarre. It took me a bit to even figure out what the heck was going on. No way do 95% of kids get it. 

Huh. That's not the overall message I came away with at all.

I mean, yeah, it was definitely weird (but mostly in a good way, I thought). But there seemed to be a lot more to it than just him leaving and the mom not talking to him.  

Overall enjoyed the movie but really disappointed, as has been said, in the language they threw in. 

The short was just way weird.  Wife liked it.  I was wondering who the frick greenlighted that halfway through.

I don't know why but I find it kind of funny how we look at drinking and somewhat bad words used in cartoons now.  Remember the cartoons that most of us grew up with that had rude language, drinking, smoking and racism loaded in them?
I loved the old Warner Bros. ones that were shown before regular movies.

Am I the only one that didn't notice the language at all?
Nope. 

Actually, the only thing I did notice (and thought that was what was being referenced here at first) was a f- cut short that I wasn't sure I heard right. 

I get the whole "unnecessary" remarks to some extent, but it was so mild and there are always little unnecessary things thrown in for adults.  In this case, I would imagine they make the characters more real.

Of course, I guess the usual adult references are above little kids' heads while they can catch the words here...

Nope. 

Actually, the only thing I did notice (and thought that was what was being referenced here at first) was a f- cut short that I wasn't sure I heard right. 

I get the whole "unnecessary" remarks to some extent, but it was so mild and there are always little unnecessary things thrown in for adults.  In this case, I would imagine they make the characters more real.

Of course, I guess the usual adult references are above little kids' heads while they can catch the words here...
I remember the F word cut short as well.  That's used in a lot of movies and even sitcoms though.  Very common.

Yes.  Kids hear much worse in there surrounding environments.  I hope you never bring a kid to a live sporting event because they will learn a large variety of obscenities.
This is not about if they hear it more or less in other environments.  It is about exposing them to it when you would safely assume it to be safe.  Saying you hear worse at other times is a straw man.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not about if they hear it more or less in other environments.  It is about exposing them to it when you would safely assume it to be safe.  Saying you hear worse at other times is a straw man.
I guess I didn't notice any words in the movie that I would consider bad.  I also don't see a big deal when the start of a bad word gets cut off where we just assume what was said.  Little kids most likely don't know what's going to be said but adults do and get the humor.  How often do we see in kid's shows where they substitute a bad word with another word that starts with the same letter?  We know what they mean but they don't actually use the curse word.  I don't see it as a big deal.

Yes.  Kids hear much worse in there surrounding environments.  I hope you never bring a kid to a live sporting event because they will learn a large variety of obscenities.
The difference is that I know to expect it in certain areas and can make the choice to expose my kid to it or not. Which is why I don't take my kid to football or basketball games.

It's also a difference in how a kid perceives it. A kid is more likely to mimic a cartoon because they see it as being made acceptable versus hearing it from a drunken adult or obnoxious teen in a different venue.

I recognize that our culture had moved to one where profanity is just accepted and almost encouraged, even in kids, but it would be nice if the decision to expose and normalize it was left up to parents instead of being made for them so often. 

I guess it is partially my fault for not vetting the movie ahead of time, but I just didn't expect it from Pixar/Disney given their recent history.

I guess I didn't notice any words in the movie that I would consider bad.  I also don't see a big deal when the start of a bad word gets cut off where we just assume what was said.  Little kids most likely don't know what's going to be said but adults do and get the humor.  How often do we see in kid's shows where they substitute a bad word with another word that starts with the same letter?  We know what they mean but they don't actually use the curse word.  I don't see it as a big deal.
"Promote the #### out of it" and " well I'll be ####ed" are mild, but that usage certainly falls into the realm of profanity.

(Sorry Joe for circumventing the filter a bit.)

Maybe it's just me then.  I didn't see anything wrong with the language they had in the movie and never once was concerned with my kids hearing it.

we all loved it.  plenty of laughs and entertainment which is all I want from a movie.

I read online that Elastigirl is the first "good" character in a pixar film to use a gun.

Huh. That's not the overall message I came away with at all.

I mean, yeah, it was definitely weird (but mostly in a good way, I thought). But there seemed to be a lot more to it than just him leaving and the mom not talking to him.  
:shrug: The short was titled "Empty Nester" or something like that... And in her "Dream" she ate him so he couldn't move out with his wife to be...

Then when her real son comes home to visit, she turns her back on him and his dad pushes him into the room which makes the Mom finally acknowledge him.

Overall enjoyed the movie but really disappointed, as has been said, in the language they threw in. 

The short was just way weird.  Wife liked it.  I was wondering who the frick greenlighted that halfway through.
:goodposting:

Wife commented it almost seemed to be screaming.... don't move out kids or your Mom will hate you!!!

:shrug: The short was titled "Empty Nester" or something like that... And in her "Dream" she ate him so he couldn't move out with his wife to be...

Then when her real son comes home to visit, she turns her back on him and his dad pushes him into the room which makes the Mom finally acknowledge him.
Yeah, I guess you're right. I was thinking it was more a two-way street where the son treated her like crap, eloped, etc so it was a broken relationship. But just as likely he was just a normal kid and she felt he abandoned her - and the bun was just how it looked from her side of things.

GroveDiesel wrote the review as I would have.

I thought this movie was tedious and couldn't wait for it to end starting at about the half way point. 

And the first one is probably my favorite Pixar movie.

we all loved it.  plenty of laughs and entertainment which is all I want from a movie.

I read online that Elastigirl is the first "good" character in a pixar film to use a gun.
Doesn't buzz light-year have a laser gun he shoots Woody with when they meet? Woody and Jessie should have guns. 

We just took our nephew and everybody liked it.

The short where the lady had a manic break was pretty weird though. 

And the gender roles thing just seems extremely played out at this point. Yeah, we get it, dad's have no clue how to be a parent and are uncomfortable when their wife has professional success and they have to stay home and take care of the kids, hahahaha!
Hoo boy. Not another one of these. Guess I won't be going out of my way to see it. This was played out in 1998. 

Saw it 2 days ago. 

I don't remember any bad language and i dont remember elastigirl even having a gun. 

Whole family enjoyed. 

My kids hear worse language from me on a daily basis. I tell them that kids shouldn't talk like that because they'll get in trouble. Better than trying to shield their fragile little minds from swear words.

I thought it was great. It's definitely more Elastigirl centric this time but I guess being a dad of 3 kids around those ages made it hilarious to me. 

Also how has no one mentioned the obvious difference from the first movie? Elastigirl's booty was bigger than the first (if that was even possible). 

Users who are viewing this thread