What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Space Force: Trump directs creation of sixth military branch (1 Viewer)

Last edited by a moderator:
whoknew said:
Also, I fear this will be used as an excuse to increase the military budget even more. Funny how the GOP can always find money in the budget for more military spending.
It's actually not funny.

I'm confused. I thought Russia was our friend. Why do we care about weaponizing space to counteract one of their satellites?

Keith Boykin‏ @keithboykin 25m25 minutes ago

This Space Force idea reminds me of when Trump said he would pardon Muhammad Ali. The 1967 Outer Space Treaty already prohibits militarization of space. It has been signed by 105 countries, including the U.S., Russia, China, France, Germany, and the UK.

https://www.state.gov/t/isn/5181.htm
The problem with treaties is they only last so long as they are in each signatories best interests.

Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson weighs in with a cool idea!

I’m okay with a US Space Force. But what we need most is a Truth Force — one that defends against all enemies of accurate information, both foreign & domestic.

Yesterday I heard a third-rate AM talk radio host doing his best to defend "Space Force". It went a little something like this:

"NASA admits that there are literally THOUSANDS of objects in space which pose a threat to the Earth!! This is PROOF that we need the Space Force now more than ever!"

He followed that up with this gem: "Virtually everyone important has come out in support of the Space Force: the President, defense contractors......EVERYONE!"

And then he concluded with "Why won't the mainstream media report these FACTS?"
Third paragraph is very true, huge technology leaps were made during the Apollo and Space Shuttle programs. Huge obstacles had to overcome.

The Space Service is as important to advance our technological edge, that was damaged by Buh and Obama.

It is also a great platform for weapons development and deployment as well as reconnaissance.

What's next?  The Space Wall?
This reminds me of one of my favorite Twitter parody accounts -- @realGulDukat

"Gul Dukat‏ @realGulDukat

Crooked Captain Sisko was weak on borders & security. Let Klingons & Maquis-13 gang members poor across Badlands. The Klingons are not sending their best, believe me. We're going to build a big, beautiful Subspace Graviton Field & Bajor is going to pay for it!

9:10 PM - 6 Feb 2018"

Ridiculous waste of money but then when it comes to stupidity, this administration is tops.
The more I think about it, the more I disagree.  I fully expect the Trump's plan to be half-baked, but I think it would be wise to prepare for what the military's role in space will look like moving forward.  

The more I think about it, the more I disagree.  I fully expect the Trump's plan to be half-baked, but I think it would be wise to prepare for what the military's role in space will look like moving forward.  
There isn't supposed to be a role for the military in space.

There isn't supposed to be a role for the military in space.
I guess I should re-phrase that, because I'm not talking about spaceships with lasers shooting at aliens.  I'm thinking more in terms of something like a Coast Guard in space that can make sure space debris is not destroying our satellites, cleaning up space debris, and also being prepared to launch emergency rescue missions to the ISS or other space stations in the future.  NASA said the next mission where people land on the moon would be one where permanent structures are established.  Maybe that is 50 years off, but the rate at which we are exploring outer space seems to be rapidly expanding.

I guess I should re-phrase that, because I'm not talking about spaceships with lasers shooting at aliens.  I'm thinking more in terms of something like a Coast Guard in space that can make sure space debris is not destroying our satellites, cleaning up space debris, and also being prepared to launch emergency rescue missions to the ISS or other space stations in the future.  NASA said the next mission where people land on the moon would be one where permanent structures are established.  Maybe that is 50 years off, but the rate at which we are exploring outer space seems to be rapidly expanding.
Right, we already have an agency that does (or could be doing) all the stuff you're talking about. We don't need another one.

Did I mention that the wife and I went as Space Force troopers?  Took first place in the bar contest.  :huffsonknucckles:

Right, we already have an agency that does (or could be doing) all the stuff you're talking about. We don't need another one.
And it's one of the first things the GOP wants to slash with budget cuts.  If it was re-branded as a branch of the military imagine what we could accomplish.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Trump has visions of Star Destroyers patrolling the solar system, which is absurd, but I don't think the general concept is that far-fetched.  I'm no expert, and maybe everything at this time would be redundant, but in WWI and WWII there was no official Air Force and all military aviation operated under the other branches of the military.  

Leave NASA to explore and research, and have a "space force" (ideally an international coalition) to defend and regulate space weapon-free.

Vice President Mike Pence‏ @VP 34m34 minutes ago

Today, @POTUS Trump will direct the @DeptofDefense to establish a Combatant Command that will oversee all of our military activities in space. This Space Command will be the 11th Combatant Command in the U.S. military.

https://twitter.com/VP/status/1075065384921849856
There's a whole lot of people in this admin looking to get off the planet in a few months. 

Why should this be a military operation? Why should this only be done by the US?

To be honest I think other countries would/could try to “attack” our satellites, more likely with a software attack than shooting a gun at them. How do we secure our sattellites? Could the Chinese launch a small rocket with some sort of small intercept device to latch onto it and steal signal, jam, or otherwise disrupt it? While I think the “space force” is ridiculous, I do see credible threats and it would be foolish to assume our enemies can be trusted to live up to their end of the treaty. 

Doesn't have to be either.  I think a global coalition would be way more effective.
Given the way the UN and NATO work we'd be paying for the vast, vast majority, anyway.  

While the name is beyond stupid, turning our thinking toward this area of foreign weaponization isn't awful.   Certainly isn't the worst thing that this admin has proposed.

There is definitely foreign (Russia, China) weaponization going on.  Not sure who you want to be the lead - Dept. of Transportation?

It shouldn't be.  But, as is typical, the US is left to lead.
These two sentences seem at odds to each other. If the US must lead, it follows no one else is doing it?

There is definitely foreign (Russia, China) weaponization going on.  Not sure who you want to be the lead - Dept. of Transportation?

It shouldn't be.  But, as is typical, the US is left to lead.
These two sentences seem at odds to each other. If the US must lead, it follows no one else is doing it?
Also, if the US is left to lead, doesn't that contradict the isolationist philosophy of Trump and his supporters?

I listened to the Rogan podcast with Neil DeGrasse Tyson the other day and Neil said he recommended a space force to G.W. Bush back in 2001.  So he is all in favor of it.  He had an interesting take about getting ahead of the curve, so maybe this idea isn't as dumb as think. 

He also highlighted that this doesn't have to be a country vs country thing and space force could lead the way in meteor protection. 

I listened to the Rogan podcast with Neil DeGrasse Tyson the other day and Neil said he recommended a space force to G.W. Bush back in 2001.  So he is all in favor of it.  He had an interesting take about getting ahead of the curve, so maybe this idea isn't as dumb as think. 

He also highlighted that this doesn't have to be a country vs country thing and space force could lead the way in meteor protection. 
Pray tell, why is the militarization of space a good idea?

Why not give more money and tasks to NASA - to ensure no one is triggered into a country to country race

Pray tell, why is the militarization of space a good idea?

Why not give more money and tasks to NASA - to ensure no one is triggered into a country to country race
The best place to detonate a nuke is in the sky, not the ground. 

dschuler said:
The best place to detonate a nuke is in the sky, not the ground. 
Really? I would think the spread of fall-out would be far more reaching instead of isolated in one large area.

Users who are viewing this thread