What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What are we doing today that is considered "normal" but will be considered taboo in 50+ years? (1 Viewer)

Sinn Fein

Footballguy
So as we look back in short-term history we see lots of things that were considered "normal" (or at least acceptable) at the time, that we look back on a consider taboo now.

Certainly racism and misogyny are two topics that come to mind that in the 60's and 70's were viewed differently than today.

Smoking is another activity that was completely normal in the 60's and 70's - but in universally panned now.

So what are we doing today, that will likely be frowned upon in the future?

Could go the other way too.  Things that were taboo years ago seem normal today.  TV shows push the envelope every year with what they provide in shows.  Yester-year many of the things now on TV were only on Showtime or HBO or Skinamax.  Lots of stuff on late night now.  In 20 years, maybe nothing will be censored. 

Enjoy it while it lasts Golden Corral fans.
Are these a thing?  Golden Corral is the goto disparaging restaurant choice when we’re joking around. 

“Where do you want to eat?”

”Golden Corral”

”Do you hate me?”

I don’t think I’ve stepped foot in one since the 90s. 

Could go the other way too.  Things that were taboo years ago seem normal today.  TV shows push the envelope every year with what they provide in shows.  Yester-year many of the things now on TV were only on Showtime or HBO or Skinamax.  Lots of stuff on late night now.  In 20 years, maybe nothing will be censored. 
Pop in a "PG" rated movie from the pre PG13 days and it doesn't seem to follow the same trend. ie Bad News Bears.

Aborting unborn fetuses.

(Not because society will think that abortion is morally wrong, but because "birth control" will consist of a single pill that we take when we're 8 years old that lasts for 50 years unless we take another pill to reverse the effects.)
I agree that abortion will be dead by some method of advanced birth control resulting in no unwanted pregnancies.

I disagree though, I think the people of the future will be judgmental about it and consider our current situation barbaric.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that abortion will be dead by some method of advanced birth control resulting in no unwanted pregnancies.

I disagree though, I think the people of the future will be judgmental about it and consider our current situation barbaric.
Agree. 

We'll have crashed by then, so a lot of bets will be off. I certainly hope the New Puritanism will be a casualty.
I was actually going to say hedonism and aethisim are in greater peril as currently the most reproductively active populations are religious based.  Aethisits and intellectual populations don’t have population growth with the majority being 0,1 or 2 family homes

Physical airport screening will be completely different.  They will be amazed that we had a trained workforce putting their hands on passengers to feel for threats.

Chemotherapy.  We're going to find a way to control/cure cancer cells, stopping them from growing.  Cancer cells will be seen as a benefit to mankind, instead of a curse.  We will use cancer cells in many ways to benefit mankind, because we will be able to control their growth.  At that time, mankind will look back on chemotherapy as barbaric - much the same way we view leeching.

I agree with this as well. Although I also think that said birth control will be mandated in many countries due to overpopulation and environmental degradation.

Yeah, one of the things I thought about was mass-produced animal meats - will we still be eating animals in bulk in 50+ years?  Or will we eventually decide that is not humane?
I think cultured meat will eventually become commercialized and accepted by most consumers, at which point animal slaughter for food will become something more fringe like such as how hunting is looked at today. If most people visited a slaughter house they would instantly become vegans.

This would have some pretty impactful changes to society, the economy, and the environment.

First that came to mind was factory farming.   Huge tax and on the environment and insanely cruel to the animals.  

Government of the people, by the people, for the people.
Of the machines, by the machines and for the machines.

Code:
01001001 00101100 00100000 01100110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01101111 01101110 01100101 00101100 00100000 01110111 01100101 01101100 01100011 01101111 01101101 01100101 00100000 01101111 01110101 01110010 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110111 00100000 01100101 01101100 01100101 01100011 01110100 01110010 01101001 01100011 00100000 01101111 01110110 01100101 01110010 01101100 01101111 01110010 01100100 01110011 00100000

I was actually going to say hedonism and aethisim are in greater peril as currently the most reproductively active populations are religious based.  Aethisits and intellectual populations don’t have population growth with the majority being 0,1 or 2 family homes
Prosperity is the greatest birth control so, if we don't continue that way, it won't matter.

The greatest cultural disappointment of my life is that, after a millennium of struggle to free belief from control, we largely chose to believe in nothing, ourselves. The bug in our butts over the gods & better angels in our hearts. Woe is us that there are not communities of appreciation, devotion, charity to replace the halls of our debunked agrarian myths. Woe is us.

Atheism isn't going anywhere. As access to science and other truths are more easily accessible, I belive that'll drive atheism.  Sooner or later all these myths and fairy tales around religion will be shown for what they are. People were sure the earth was the center of the universe until science proved otherwise, same with the earth being flat. Everyone's gods will just fall away like those did. 

So you mean if your grandpa was sick and laying in a bed dieing for 3 years you all would just allow that to happen and watch as your loved one die slowly instead of allowing grandpa to die with dignity when he would feel most comfortable?

I think euthanasia will be an acceptable and appropriate means to an end of suffering for many families.

Wikkid is legit, Dedfin.  I've spent some time under his tutelage and he has a lot of wisdom.

@wikkidpissah if you ever decide to finally write some of this out, you have two copies sold already.

In fact, I think you may owe to society to do so.  It may just save your soul. ;)
working on it, my friend.

after deciding against blogging it, i've spent the last year or so helping individuals in order to test the efficacy of some of my theories & techniques. i'm actually surprised at the percentage of my guesses which are paying serious human dividend. another year of accumulation and i should be ready to write it up.

i took a very circuitous road to find out that everything is indeed moral. it's just that those who set and enforced our codes had power & control as their motive and twisted them to selfish purpose. we will one day be able to try again, but i fear not in our lifetime. hundreds of years from now, humans will look at 21st Century behavioral health the way we look at 17th Century medical health today.

still, however, there is victory in life for each & every one of us, no matter the course of the rest of the world. that victory is over ourselves and it pays off in happiness & fulfillment every day. it also happens to be the only way to reset humanity on the path to peace & prosperity again.

The Gator said:
Atheism isn't going anywhere. As access to science and other truths are more easily accessible, I belive that'll drive atheism.  Sooner or later all these myths and fairy tales around religion will be shown for what they are. People were sure the earth was the center of the universe until science proved otherwise, same with the earth being flat. Everyone's gods will just fall away like those did. 
I see your logic but you’re not open to these insular cultures where aethism is a far greater social stigma and people get shunned from the only social group they’ve known in some cases.  Menomite/Amish, Hasidic and Orthodox Jews, Muslims are the kinds of cultures I speak of.  Sprinkle in the evangelization in the developing world, the catholic roots in Hispanic culture, all of whom are replacing at a younger age and with more kids than I’d guess your average aetheist does, it’s a daunting numbers game

Users who are viewing this thread