What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dillon Traded! (1 Viewer)

Patriots Day: Dillon to Pats for second-rounder 4-19-04, 4:15 p.m. BY GEOFF HOBSON Marvin Lewis and Corey Dillon had their wishes granted Monday when the Bengals traded their disenchanted running back to the Super Bowl champion Patriots for a second-round draft pick. Lewis not only received the club’s fifth choice out of the 96 on the first day of Saturday’s NFL Draft in exchange for Dillon, but he also rid himself of a player that never endeared himself to the Bengals’ new regime and never missed a chance to lobby himself out of town. The Bengals’ bid to mold Cincinnati into a younger roster more committed to Lewis’ program has now netted the Bengals two trades in 10 days, 10 choices on draft weekend, and seven picks in the first 117 choices that take them into the middle of the fourth round. For his part, Dillon, 29, the Bengals’ all-time rushing leader as one of 28 men to gain more than 8,000 yards, gets a chance at his oft-stated goal of playing in a Super Bowl with a team that has won two of the last three titles.

Wow. Out of left field on that one, and right after the Williams/Clarett news. No Dillon to the Raiders. No 1st round RB to the Pats... FLUSH THE MOCKS! FLUSH THE MOCKS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Two pretty big reports coming out in the last hour or so.Dillon owners should be pretty pleased. Both his value and prospects for numbers went up quickly.

Where are all the NE fans who claimed Dillon wasn't a Bill B. type of player. A Bill B type of player is a talented player, the character thing is so overrated. Coaches want to win, and Bill is just the same, they don't care if your a choir boy or not.

Who in the blue hell are they going with in the first. I thought they might go RB later instead of first but now I dunno who they are going to pick.

Wonder if this means Pats are going to make a grab for Taylor (w/Lions trade) Now.
After giving up a 2nd rounder, plus what Belichick said in a recent interview, I would say there's almost no chance of that happening. But the question becomes, will Detroit stay at 6 and take Winslow, reach for Jackson, or get a suitable deal to trade down and take Jackson later.

Who in the blue hell are they going with in the first. I thought they might go RB later instead of first but now I dunno who they are going to pick.
Defense. Even without Dillon I thought they'd go D.

After giving up a 2nd rounder, plus what Belichick said in a recent interview, I would say there's almost no chance of that happening. But the question becomes, will Detroit stay at 6 and take Winslow, reach for Jackson, or get a suitable deal to trade down and take Jackson later.
And now with 1 less RB off the board, will the Cowboys look at Jones?

Dillon is definitely an upgrade over Antowain Smith, and they had extra picks to burn. Great deal for the Bengals holding out for a 2nd rounder as well, and getting rid of that contract and locker room distraction.Looks like a solid deal for both, assuming Belicheck and the Pats vets can keep Dillon happy and productive. If he repeats 2003, it will be a huge steal for the Bengals.This definitely takes away one great situation for a rookie RB to wind up in. Still left: Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Oakland.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if the timing of this has anything to do with Clarett (e.g. was NE interested in Maurice in the second or third?)

Nice move for the patriots. What will dillon have to complain about on a team that actually wins?

Dillon is definitely an upgrade over Antowain Smith, and they had extra picks to burn. Great deal for the Bengals holding out for a 2nd rounder as well, and getting rid of that contract and locker room distraction.Looks like a solid deal for both, assuming Belicheck and the Pats vets can keep Dillon happy and productive. If he repeats 2003, it will be a huge steal for the Bengals.This definitely takes away one great situation for a rookie RB to wind up. Still left: Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Oakland.
I don't really think it matters how Dillon does, when evaluating this trade from the Bengals point of view. He wasn't going to play for them anymore (and they didn't want him), and they weren't going to get any more from another team.Unless of course the Pats beat the Bengals in the AFC Championship game.

I had Dillon going to the Raiders for sure. So much for Kevin Faulk having any value in 2004!

Patriots should move some of those extra picks to next year like they did before. They are so stacked right now. They are really building a great franchise here. As if the 2 SB wins weren't enough.

Wow. I'm stunned.And I'm not exactly sure I'm happy. I love Dillon's production but is he going to sulk in a pass-happy offense under Charlie Weis? There's a part of me though that thinks that Dillon may defer to a coaching staff who's won two of the last three Super Bowls.I think this is a classic "wait and see".

The draft component of Belichik's recipe for success has usually had him picking defense or O-Line in the first. Every year fans and draftniks think this will be the year the Pats pick a RB in the first. Every year Bill defies expectations. I suspected they would do something besides pick a RB with their first pick. Given their stockpile of picks this is a very high value use of a second rounder.I hate the Pats.

IMO, this is excellent news - two solid top-20 FF RBs were just created - Rudi and Dillon should each be good for at least 1200 rush yards and, in NE, Dillon will be closer to the GL more often.Brady's passing TD numbers will get hurt in 2004 as Dillon goes DD in TDs.In 12 team leagues, I predict that if Moss, Harrison and Holt go in the first two rounds, every team that does not pick one of them will be able to secure a solid RB2 to go with a solid RB1.

The Bengals probably won't count on Rudi's continued success alone (though I am sure they have high hopes for him). When do they pick a backup RB or competition for Rudi?

I don't really think it matters how Dillon does, when evaluating this trade from the Bengals point of view. He wasn't going to play for them anymore (and they didn't want him), and they weren't going to get any more from another team.Unless of course the Pats beat the Bengals in the AFC Championship game.
well, if the Bengals got a 2nd round pick and dumped a big contract on a 29 year old RB that does this again:
Code:
+----------+-------------+--------+----+| WK  OPP  |  RSH   YD   |  RECYD | TD |+----------+-------------+--------+----+|  1  den  |   14    34  |     7  |  0 ||  2  oak  |   19    84  |     6  |  1 ||  3  pit  |    7    26  |     0  |  0 ||  4  cle  |    4    20  |     0  |  0 ||  7  bal  |   18    39  |    16  |  1 ||  9  ari  |    7     5  |     8  |  0 || 11  kan  |    6    21  |    15  |  0 || 12  sdg  |   18   108  |     5  |  0 || 13  pit  |   10    48  |     3  |  0 || 14  bal  |   11    45  |     0  |  0 || 15  sfo  |    9    24  |     0  |  0 || 16  ram  |    7    37  |     0  |  0 || 17  cle  |    8    50  |    11  |  0 |+----------+-------------+--------+----+|  TOTAL   |  138   541  |    71  |  2 |+----------+-------------+--------+----+
then, I'd say they fleeced the Pats. If Dillon performs up to his pre-2003 level, then it's a good deal for both. I understand your point that they got as much as they could based on his current value. I'm just saying the deal will look even better for them if Dillon ends up flopping.

109 User(s) are reading this topic (21 Guests and 4 Anonymous Users)<3 2004 NFL offseason :yes:

89 User(s) are reading this topic (17 Guests and 3 Anonymous Users) :shock: Wow, looks like NE will add strength to the core of their team now. Oline and D in this draft now. The solid running game will only make this teaam that much better.

As much as I hate to admit it, the Bengals did a nice job here. Does this mean the Raidaaz will be more open to trading down and/or picking up Willie Green? I think so.

Users who are viewing this thread