What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When do grills go on sale? (1 Viewer)

When do the clearance sales start, after the 4th, after labor day, when?

The Smokey Hollow BBQ my wife and daughter bought me for Father's Day 6 years ago is rusting out.  Nice enough features, I suppose, but poorly made.  Cheap steal.

Last edited by a moderator:
When do the clearance sales start, after the 4th, after labor day, when?

The Smokey Hollow BBQ my wife and daughter bought me for Father's Day 6 years ago is rusting out.  Nice enough features, I suppose, but poorly made.  Cheap steal.
Shoot the locks off and get a Weber.  I've lost a few gas grills to age and elements but they were cheapies.  In-laws bought me a Weber Genesis 3 years ago as a house warming gift and it's the best thing I've ever owned.  In fact, if I get another divorce, I've told my wife she can have everything - house, cars, kids, everything.  I get the Weber.

Love it.  

Shoot the locks off and get a Weber.  I've lost a few gas grills to age and elements but they were cheapies.  In-laws bought me a Weber Genesis 3 years ago as a house warming gift and it's the best thing I've ever owned.  In fact, if I get another divorce, I've told my wife she can have everything - house, cars, kids, everything.  I get the Weber.

Love it.  
I have a Weber Genesis that is easily 10+ years old.  Finally just last year I replaced the burners and heat plates and gave it a thorough cleaning while I had it all apart.  With that being said, i bought a Chargriller Akorn kamado style grill and haven't used my Weber ever since.  This thing does everything from smoke, grill, sear, etc.  You can get it for about $300 at Home Depot or Walmart.  Once you try it, you'll never use your gas grill again. 

@Ditkaless Wonders - I usually see the best deals on grills on clearance in Feb/Mar time frame.  Given your situation, I doubt you'll see many good deals until after Labor Day. 

Love it.  
I'm having trouble with my Weber Genesis.  It is about 3-4 yrs old.  Hard as hell to light sometimes.  I think there may be a leak somewhere along the connection from propane tank to burners.  Wife left the tank valve open recently, and even though the burner valves were all off, the tank was drained.  Also, the grates are not holding up well and are rusting.  We leave do leave it outside year round (NE Ohio), but it is always covered when not in use...although the cover is now pretty worn and cracking.  I expected better.

I'm having trouble with my Weber Genesis.  It is about 3-4 yrs old.  Hard as hell to light sometimes.  I think there may be a leak somewhere along the connection from propane tank to burners.  Wife left the tank valve open recently, and even though the burner valves were all off, the tank was drained.  Also, the grates are not holding up well and are rusting.  We leave do leave it outside year round (NE Ohio), but it is always covered when not in use...although the cover is now pretty worn and cracking.  I expected better.
The best thing about weber is that almost all the replacement parts are pretty fairly priced. I've had mine for 20 years, it's probably on it's last legs now, but I think in that time I've replaced the burners every 6-7 years, the grates every 5 years, and the flavorizer bars once or twice in there.  The grates are the most expensive though, the cast iron ones will rust out, but can last much longer if you take care of them.  I'm guessing they will do much better if you semi-regularly clean and season them top and bottom like a cast iron skillet.  The tops of mine stay pretty well seasoned from cooking, but the rust tends to come in from the bottom and eventually it's just too much.

As for the hard to light/possible gas leak, I'd give them a call, their service has always been helpful.  You may just be able to get a new input assembly and be on your way for $40 or so.

Galileo said:
I’ve recently experienced the starter issue. My solution is assure the front is lit ( feel the heat), crank the back two burners and close the lid.  The gas will feel the chamber and WOOFFF! We’re lit. I do not have the issue with draining the tank though. Agree seems to be a leak somewhere. 

My issue is the pan underneath where the tank sits is rusting out. She’s about a decade old so trying to determine if it’s worth finding a solution. Only other repair I’ve made was replacing flavorizers. I know I’ll never own a grill not named Weber and also must have the cast iron grates. Those things are amazing. 

I only use Weber Kettles, and they are always on sale.......on Craigslist.  

So many people buy a Kettle new when they first move into a place. They don't like fooling with charcoal, so they "upgrade" to one of the Charwhatever gas grills from Lowe's. The Charwhatever is solid for one season (though never actually as good as the Kettle they gave away). Then, within a year or two, they basically don't ever grill anymore because their gas grill with the igniters not working and the crappy to begin with burners clogged up produces lackluster results. 

Meanwhile, the person that stole their Kettle is enjoying it for years to come.

I don't own a gas grill, and won't until I can easily afford to get med-high end Weber gasser. I'm no hurry though. I've still yet to find something the Kettle can't do for me with great results.

I’ve recently experienced the starter issue. My solution is assure the front is lit ( feel the heat), crank the back two burners and close the lid.  The gas will feel the chamber and WOOFFF! We’re lit. I do not have the issue with draining the tank though. Agree seems to be a leak somewhere. 

My issue is the pan underneath where the tank sits is rusting out. She’s about a decade old so trying to determine if it’s worth finding a solution. Only other repair I’ve made was replacing flavorizers. I know I’ll never own a grill not named Weber and also must have the cast iron grates. Those things are amazing. 
yeah, that sounds... umm less than safe :).  For your issue I'd assume your burners are just getting corroded and you aren't getting a flame connecting the front burner to the mid/rear.  You can buy a new burner assembly for $40 that should fix that.  I think I replaced my underneath pan just recently also and it was $10, I also replaced the rails it hangs off of for $13 and the catch pan holder for another $13.

As long as the lid, main firebox and stand are still in decent shape, I think you are better off replacing then getting something new.  If you can't find the parts online just call weber customer support and they'll get you what you need.

@The Tick thanks for the info. Man for $80-100 I can swap out every piece of rust on it and fix the ignition issue. No brainer. Thanks!!

Agree my method of lighting isn't ideal, but it beats sticking my hand over the grates to get to the second and third burner with one of those mini bic flamethrower/starter things. Lot less singed arm hair too. I also stand by it to make sure it catches within a few seconds. Time to go shopping.

Sorry for the hi jack

Depends on your area but we have both an amazon returns and amazon damaged on site second hand auction websites. They're becoming more popular so the deals aren'tt what they were, but you can usually pay half retail if not less and often there isn't anything wrong (just box damage). I precently picked up a weber smoky mountain and a traeger for less than have of retail. I see several other brands as well fairly often. PM me if your interested.

Users who are viewing this thread