Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Daniel Simpkins

Jameis Winston Suspension?

Recommended Posts

The fantasy community received news last evening that Jameis Winston could face a three-game suspension to start the season. 

This morning, Trevor Sikkema suggested that the suspension may not relate to the incident, but the fact that Winston did not report the incident, as is called for under the CBA.

Is there a good chance of Winston getting this suspension reduced or vacated if he can prove that Uber did not provide him with information suggesting that his "misconduct" on the ride related to sexual assault? Does the NFL even have grounds to suspend Winston at all based on what we know? 

Let's discuss!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It could create a buying opportunity for Winston for me if he gets 3 games or so. The reason is that I would have been drafting him as my #2 quarterback anyway and it would be very unlikely that I would have started him in his first three games against the Saints Eagles Steelers to start the year. Now I'll get him at a lower price than I otherwise would have.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How exactly is he supposed to report an incident by his account that never occurred?  There was no police report ss the uber driver did not file a complaint.

Edited by Bronco Billy
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tend to see it as a buying opportunity too. I can’t imagine too many people had in mind using him in the first couple of weeks. And that’s even if this materializes. It does sound like there is a good chance it’s less than 3 games. I can see it mostly being just some negative buzz that drives his value down a bit and creates opportunity. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Local news here in Orlando quoted him as saying he expects to be suspended "a few" games and is consulting with his agent

as to what action he may or may not take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bronco Billy said:

How exactly is he supposed to report an incident by his account that never occurred?  There was no police report ss the uber driver did not file a complaint.

Goodell suspends whom he will suspend.

Facts rarely enter into it.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rubi said:

Local news here in Orlando quoted him as saying he expects to be suspended "a few" games and is consulting with his agent

as to what action he may or may not take.

Thanks a lot.

Can you elaborate on exactly what the news story said?

What news?

TV or radio or print?

And the story said Winston himself said he was expecting to be a few games. Was it a audio with him actually saying it? Or a "reports are..." thing. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My post about this in the Winston thread after reviewing multiple sources:

 

It could have happened, but the woman didn’t file a complaint with the police, and said she was assaulted by Winston who she said was in the front seat and was the only other person in the car.  Winston’s story, which is corroborated by Ron Darby, was that there were 3 people and the driver in the car, that he was in the backseat, and that he never touched her.  According to Winston’s lawyer, when confronted with Winston’s version that the uber driver could not identify Winston as the passenger in the front seat who she claims assaulted her.

There is nothing to support the woman’s story other than her word.  I know in this era of me-too that we’ve flipped the assumption of innocence and burden of proof on its head, and the driver could have very well been assaulted that night, but at the very least it’s extremely questionable whether Winston did it or could have even been in a position to do i

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are athletes that make millions of dollars a years slummin' it with Uber?  Hire a freaking driver to take you out to da club.  Sheesh.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bronco Billy said:

My post about this in the Winston thread after reviewing multiple sources:

 

It could have happened, but the woman didn’t file a complaint with the police, and said she was assaulted by Winston who she said was in the front seat and was the only other person in the car.  Winston’s story, which is corroborated by Ron Darby, was that there were 3 people and the driver in the car, that he was in the backseat, and that he never touched her.  According to Winston’s lawyer, when confronted with Winston’s version that the uber driver could not identify Winston as the passenger in the front seat who she claims assaulted her.

There is nothing to support the woman’s story other than her word.  I know in this era of me-too that we’ve flipped the assumption of innocence and burden of proof on its head, and the driver could have very well been assaulted that night, but at the very least it’s extremely questionable whether Winston did it or could have even been in a position to do i

Thanks @Bronco Billy  Do you have a link for this? Thanks for the insights. 

Also, have heard anything about Winston himself saying he was expecting a suspension as the poster above wrote?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe Bryant said:

Thanks @Bronco Billy  Do you have a link for this? Thanks for the insights. 

Also, have heard anything about Winston himself saying he was expecting a suspension as the poster above wrote?

 

I would have to post about 5-6 links to support what I posted.  It’s difficult to draw out the entire story from one piece because it seems like there is an agenda behind some of the information being posted.

 

I have not seen anything regarding a direct quote from Winston yet.  The only source I’ve seen on the alleged ready for suspension is a story citing a fan blog which states something to the effect of a party in Winston’s camp stating that Winston is preparing for a suspension.  It may be legit, but I’m extremely skeptical of that kind of sourcing.  I’d think that kind of direct quote from Winston would have been splashed all over the net by now if it existed.

 

.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

 

I would have to post about 5-6 links to support what I posted.  It’s difficult to draw out the entire story from one piece because it seems like there is an agenda behind some of the information being posted.

 

I have not seen anything regarding a direct quote from Winston yet.  The only source I’ve seen on the alleged ready for suspension is a story citing a fan blog which states something to the effect of a party in Winston’s camp stating that Winston is preparing for a suspension.  It may be legit, but I’m extremely skeptical of that kind of sourcing.  I’d think that kind of direct quote from Winston would have been splashed all over the net by now if it existed.

 

.

Thanks. Multiple links are even better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Joe Bryant said:

Thanks a lot.

Can you elaborate on exactly what the news story said?

What news?

TV or radio or print?

And the story said Winston himself said he was expecting to be a few games. Was it a audio with him actually saying it? Or a "reports are..." thing. Thanks.

It was Wednesday on WFTV Orlando 5:00pm newscast. Sports reporter showed what was probably stock footage of Winston doing an interview

and reporter said "Winston expects to be suspended a few games". Watched 4:00pm news today same channel but there was no mention of the story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This part of the Buzzfeed article troubles me significantly:

***********************

Kate said she doesn’t want money, and that the reason she came forward with her story now was because she wanted to tell the truth “about a powerful man who felt entitled to my body when all I wanted to do was my job.”

“I have been empowered by my sisters who have forged this path by speaking up, and I must do my part to make it a little more well traveled,” Kate said to BuzzFeed News. “If I’m silent, I fear that further harm will come to other women, if it hasn’t already.”

She added, “He sexually assaulted me, and I have every right to tell the damn truth about it.”

Kate filed a complaint with Uber soon after the ride, writing that “apparently a big athlete in the nfl” reached over “and put his fingers on my crotch.” She added: “...it wasn’t my stomach or thigh, it was my crotch and I want to be clear about that.” Kate ended her incident report with Uber stating, “He is NOT safe for other drivers.”

BuzzFeed News has reviewed the incident report to Uber, in addition to the Uber ride’s trip details, as well as her exchanges with an Uber representative.

In response to the alleged incident the Uber representative wrote, “That kind of rider behavior is absolutely not tolerated on the platform, I recommend contacting law enforcement as soon as possible.” (Kate said she didn’t go to the police for the same reasons she didn’t want to be named in this article.)

*************************************

This makes the uber driver (Kate) sound like an stout activist for the me-too movement - particularly the language she uses - yet when advised specifically by Uber to report it to the police that she preferred not to, using the excuse that she didn’t want her name exposed.

There’s also the differing stories of how many passengers there were, where Winston was sitting, and Kate not being able to later identify Winston despite spending so much time in the car with him with him alleged the only passenger and sitting in the front seat.

I’m not dismissing any version, but I’m not sure how anyone draws any finite decisions about the details of what happened.

 

Edited by Bronco Billy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've ridden in plenty of Ubers and I can honestly say that I've never ever even thought about groping the driver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully it’s much more severe punishment if true. 

Hopefully she goes to jail if she’s lying. 

But if she’s didn’t record the drive, it’s nothing more than a he said she said situation and really, why should he be punished with no proof. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, nirad3 said:

Why are athletes that make millions of dollars a years slummin' it with Uber?  Hire a freaking driver to take you out to da club.  Sheesh.

We used to chastise players for driving while presumably out drinking, as should be the case. Sure he could've taken a private car, but it's a huge step in the right direction in terms of being smart. Getting grabby with the driver is a different conversation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ScottNorwood said:

I've ridden in plenty of Ubers and I can honestly say that I've never ever even thought about groping the driver.

Hey sailor, this car is an automatic.... NOT a stick shift.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Claymaker said:

Hopefully it’s much more severe punishment if true. 

Hopefully she goes to jail if she’s lying. 

But if she’s didn’t record the drive, it’s nothing more than a he said she said situation and really, why should he be punished with no proof. 

at some point where there is smoke there is fire, I 100% believe his rape was covered up at FSU. Watch The Hunting Ground and tell me who you believe. I just don't think Jameis is a good dude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shocking that the rapeyness didn't disappear by being paid millions, Shocking, I tell you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And there it is.  The me-too warriors are out and calling for Winston’s release by the Bucs.  Tom Jones of the TB Times has printed his outrage and is calling for TB to cut Winston immediately - even though the facts surrounding this whole incident are sketchy and are certainly in dispute.  While I strongly support discipline for men who abuse women, I even more strongly support our legal system’s fundamental tenet of innocence until the facts determine a person’s guilt.  Jones uses the word “allegedly” and then immediately afterwards launches into Winston’s guilt that should end in immediate termination.  He ironically speaks about how reprehensible the act was while having no thought as to how even more reprehensible his public publishing of the assumption of guilt with no evidence is. 

Look at what Rueben Foster was put through, and in that situation there was physical evidence supporting the GF’s story so much that the DA was moving forth with criminal procedings - right up until she admitted she was lying.

 

.

 

Edited by Bronco Billy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, The Claymaker said:

Hopefully it’s much more severe punishment if true. 

Hopefully she goes to jail if she’s lying. 

But if she’s didn’t record the drive, it’s nothing more than a he said she said situation and really, why should he be punished with no proof. 

Zeke got 6 despite the lead investigator recommending he get nothing. 

 

Also so why is JW only getting 3? I should safely assume that alledged sexual assault is half as bad as alledged domestic violence. 

Goodell and the NFL = ### clowns. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bankerguy said:

Zeke got 6 despite the lead investigator recommending he get nothing. 

 

Did you see the NFL’s finding of facts?  I’m guessing not.  Detailed physical evidence of 3 separate assaults over the course of a week, as well as third party testimony of facts surrounding the alleged assaults.  After reading the findings, I find it difficult to believe that the DA didn’t move forward with something.  The evidence was much more extensive and compelling in Elliot’s case, but then Elliot was never charged.

 

.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

And there it is.  The me-too warriors are out and calling for Winston’s release by the Bucs.  Tom Jones of the TB Times has printed his outrage and is calling for TB to cut Winston immediately - even though the facts surrounding this whole incident are sketchy and are certainly in dispute.  While I strongly support discipline for men who abuse women, I even more strongly support our legal system’s fundamental tenet of innocence until the facts determine a person’s guilt.  Jones uses the word “allegedly” and then immediately afterwards launches into Winston’s guilt that should end in immediate termination.  He ironically speaks about how reprehensible the act was while having no thought as to how even more reprehensible his public publishing of the assumption of guilt with no evidence is. 

Look at what Rueben Foster was put through, and in that situation there was physical evidence supporting the GF’s story so much that the DA was moving forth with criminal procedings - right up until she admitted she was lying.

 

.

 

I used to think this way and then I watched the OJ trial.  I am willing to bet these guys get out of more situations where they are guilty than the number of times they are falsely accused and are really innocent. Isn't this like the 4th or 5th time Winston has been accused of something?

 

Winston also needs to be careful because he isn't bullet proof, he has not lived up to expectations in the NFL and Tampa could decide to bail. It is one thing to put with this if the guy is performing on the field, it is another entirely when the guy hasn't met expectations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a Winston owner, but I’m not here to defend him.  I’m about determining what the actual facts are and how the whole process is shaking out.  If Winston did it, I’m fine with the discipline and hope that it is significant enough to change his future behavior.   But right now the facts that are known do not nearly support some of the conclusions that are being leapt to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ScottNorwood said:

I've ridden in plenty of Ubers and I can honestly say that I've never ever even thought about groping the driver.

But hey, you aren't Jameis Winston!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Bankerguy said:

Zeke got 6 despite the lead investigator recommending he get nothing. 

 

Also so why is JW only getting 3? I should safely assume that alledged sexual assault is half as bad as alledged domestic violence. 

Goodell and the NFL = ### clowns. 

I suspect the thought process is something like “we have no idea if this is true and it doesn’t look like this will go to the courts. You get 3 games for bad optics.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

?

He's getting less games for sexual assaulting someone than if he tested positive for drugs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

He's getting less games for sexual assaulting someone than if he tested positive for drugs

You mean a test supported by actual evidence?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Hankmoody said:

You mean a test supported by actual evidence?

This is not court of law. The guy has a history of rape and apparently hangs out with convicted rapists. Let's be honest with ourselves and call a spade a spade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More Jameis Winston "football talk," huh? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shadyridr said:

He's getting less games for sexual assaulting someone than if he tested positive for drugs

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the suspension was for failing to report that accusation to the NFL, not because of any guilt (no clue of he is or not). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, shadyridr said:

He's getting less games for sexual assaulting someone than if he tested positive for drugs

 

If he’s getting 3 games - which we have yet to see - the word out is that it will be for failing to report, not for the assault, which like the “rape” has yet to be proven.  I sure hope you never find yourself on the wrong end of a woman's accusation that affects your career negatively despite no evidence to support it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

 

If he’s getting 3 games - which we have yet to see - the word out is that it will be for failing to report, not for the assault, which like the “rape” has yet to be proven.  I sure hope you never find yourself on the wrong end of a woman's accusation that affects your career negatively despite no evidence to support it.

Multiple times? I think I'm good there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

Multiple times? I think I'm good there. 

 

You don’t know that, do you?  It doesn’t matter that you aren’t convicted.  It doesn’t matter that you’re not charged.  It doesn’t matter that there’s no evidence supporting the accusation. It doesn’t matter that you didn’t do it.  Now all it takes is the accusation, and people like you will mass against you to see you damaged.  Do you understand how dangerous that is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bronco Billy said:

 

You don’t know that, do you?  It doesn’t matter that you aren’t convicted.  It doesn’t matter that you’re not charged.  It doesn’t matter that there’s no evidence supporting the accusation. It doesn’t matter that you didn’t do it.  Now all it takes is the accusation, and people like you will mass against you to see you damaged.  Do you understand how dangerous that is?

this is not the case for this guy, he doesn't get a pass. This is like OJ getting jail for breaking into that hotel, he can pay for his past crimes we know he is guilty of

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 In November 2012, while playing around with B.B. guns on two different occasions, Winston caused $4,200 in damages to a Tallahassee, Fla., complex.

• The following month, a fellow Florida State student, Erica Kinsman, accused Winston of sexual assault. Winston, a freshman at the time, called it consensual and a year later, the State Attorney’s office opted against charging Winston, citing “problematic” testimony by his accuser.

• In July 2013, Winston was accused of stealing soda from a Tallahassee Burger King. The manager decided not to press charges.

• In April 2014, Winston was suspended from Florida State’s baseball team after shoplifting crab legs from a Publix.

• In September of the same year, Winston served a one-game suspension for jumping on a table and yelling vulgar remarks on campus.

• In April 2015 — the same month that the Bucs drafted Winston first overall — Kinsman filed a civil suit against Winston for the 2012 incident. They reached a settlement in December of 2016.

• In March 2016, came the incident for which Winston is facing the suspension: Allegations that he grabbed the crotch of the Uber driver in the drive-through of a restaurant in Scottsdale, Ariz.

• In February 2017, while talking to elementary school students in St. Petersburg, Winston drew criticism for saying boys can do anything and should be strong, but ladies are "supposed to be silent, polite, gentle."

• In November 2017, Winston instigated a brawl between Bucs and Saints players after he came onto the field to taunt an opponent.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, shadyridr said:

He's getting less games for sexual assaulting someone than if he tested positive for drugs

Where are you getting your info?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who's behind the timing of this going public? Nothing official has been said right? The assumption of suspension is due to a late report of the incident. Is this the NFL orchestrating this to keep it in the headlines during the quietest part of the year and hoping in will be done and dusted by the start of the year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's taking his 3 games and that's that. Doesn't want to appeal, because if it goes into next season, those monster game checks would be a lot more to lose than this year's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.